[2022] Berserk: The Golden Age MEMORIAL EDITION

My guess is that it'll be real editing, meaning they're going to lengthen or shorten cuts to improve the pacing and maybe redo some of the voice acting and musical arrangement. Redrawing or touching up some of the worst visuals would be icing on the cake!
Hope they are able to get rid off around 60 to 70 percent of the CGI in more daytime (light) scenes in order to hide the more noticeable CGI and hide the rest by blending it in with 2D animation.

I think it's too early to tell, but considering the amount of changes I'd say there's a fair chance of it happening.
Also, I can see the greedy folks at Aniplex being drooling at the perspective of getting more money from Berserk fans.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hope they are able to get rid off around 60 to 70 percent of the CGI in more daytime (light) scenes in order to hide the more noticeable CGI and hide the rest by blending it in with 2D animation.

Uhhhh that seems unlikely. Adding two or three minutes of new footage and remastering scenes can be justified as a way to lure back existing fans, but if they're going to really redo 70% of the scenes, they might as well just make something entirely new.

Any chance they're going to release this version on blu-ray?

I'd be surprised if they didn't do so.

This is certainly welcomed. I hope they change things up as much as possible.

One of the things that always griped me the most was Skull Knights introduction. If they ended movie 2 with Guts meeting him in the forrest, or maybe even at the start of movie 3 it wouldn't have been nearly as jarring as Skull Knight seemingly being a creep and entering the scene as Guts and Casca just had sexual intercourse :ganishka:

Also the way they made Guts beat Boscogne...

Welp, will be interesting to see how much they actually bother to improve/change/add.

Oh yeah, the omission of Zodd helping Guts at Doldrey was also sooo bad. It's super puzzling since that was one of the most badass parts and the whole trilogy was caring above all else about gore, badass action and sex. They couldn't ask for a more badass moment in there!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
How about a Wyald "Excitement & Enjoyment" Edition!? Come on! =)

And yeah, whatever additions they make I don't think they'll be fixing it or anything, but a new song is cool and like Aaz I also didn't mind the original soundtracks for being more traditional scores, given you're not going to out-Hirasawa Hirasawa so you need to go in a different direction.

Actually, I wish they'd taken that approach to the whole project considering it basically never went anywhere beyond the purview of the original '97 anime. What a waste. They could have done a "Conviction" trilogy of Black Swordsman, Lost Children and Binding Chain/Birth Ceremony and it would have been far cooler just for being fresh. Then again, the 2016 anime was pretty conclusive proof we just shouldn't have any more Berserk adaptations.

My wishlist:

• An extended sequence of Guts going on the initial raid with the Hawks and getting to know Judeau, Rickert, and Pippen. Earn him accepting a new home.
  • Minister Foss and all his Schemes
  • The Queen and her schemes
  • An extended Casca backstory
  • Griffith clawing his arms over the boy
  • Bonfire of Dreams
  • Griffith and Gennon
  • Zodd at Doldrey
  • Guts Judeau and Corkus in a bar
  • Guts at Godots
  • Guts vs Silat at the fair
  • The king losing it
  • The Bakiraka
  • Wyald
  • Rickert and Rosine
  • Judeau and Casca in the Eclipse extended
  • Casca gives birth to the demon child
  • Guts becoming the black swordsman at Godots
  • Guts getting the dragons slayer and killing the first apostle
  • Guts doing the Lost Children arc

Last edited:
My wishlist:

• An extended sequence of Guts going on the initial raid with the Hawks and getting to know Judeau, Rickert, and Pippen. Earn him accepting a new home.
  • Minister Foss and all his Schemes
  • The Queen and her schemes
  • An extended Casca backstory
  • Griffith clawing his arms over the boy
  • Bonfire of Dreams
  • Griffith and Gennon
  • Zodd at Doldrey
  • Guts Judeau and Corkus in a bar
  • Guts at Godots
  • Guts vs Silat at the fair
  • The king losing it
  • The Bakiraka
  • Wyald
  • Rickert and Rosine
  • Judeau and Casca in the Eclipse extended
  • Casca gives birth to the demon child
  • Guts becoming the black swordsman at Godots
  • Guts getting the dragons layer and killing the first apostle
  • Guts doing the Lost Children arc
Well....You will be getting ONE of those....

New information:

- Release date: October, 2022
- The "Campfire of Dreams" sequence will be added by Naoyuki ONDA, chief animation director (he also provided the new visual)
- Director Yuta SANO comments that additional scenes* and edits have been made
- Ending song is "Wish" by Mika NAKASHIMA
- Susumu HIRASAWA and Shiro SAGISU will provide new music**

* Note: Japanese doesn't have the plural form, but I think we can assume it'll be more than one.
** Note: This is confusing because it says, "... will provide new music for the TV series (TVシリーズ内)." I'm assuming it's the movie but not sure why they decided to word it this way.

New information:

- Release date: October, 2022
- The "Campfire of Dreams" sequence will be added by Naoyuki ONDA, chief animation director (he also provided the new visual)
- Director Yuta SANO comments that additional scenes* and edits have been made
- Ending song is "Wish" by Mika NAKASHIMA
- Susumu HIRASAWA and Shiro SAGISU will provide new music**

* Note: Japanese doesn't have the plural form, but I think we can assume it'll be more than one.
** Note: This is confusing because it says, "... will provide new music for the TV series (TVシリーズ内)." I'm assuming it's the movie but not sure why they decided to word it this way.
That's mostly all the same information already posted at the top. I'm curious about the directors comments on "we aimed to add additional scenes and corrections". I'm really not going to read into this further than the initial "existing cuts will be modified and remastered". I feel they can be pretty liberal in their language of "scene" and what would be considered new if "modified" and "remastered". If they were truly adding additional, brand new scenes, they would definitely be hyping that up. The fact Bon Fire of Dreams is explicitly being used as the "new scene" advertisement pretty much confirms THATS the "new" material.

It says TV series because the films are being edited for a TV broadcast. That's what the Memorial Edition is.

Last edited:
The movie trilogy is 288 mins in total. 288/22=13.09090909090909 episodes
And they're adding Camp Fire of Dreams which is 11~mins in the 97 anime
So.. there will be 14 episodes, I guess? Plus more than just campfire of dreams

Last edited:
Consider that the longer openings and endings songs of the films and credits will be absent from the total runtime they'll be replaced with 90 seconds OP and ED.

Also, I suppose that they might cut longer sequences here and there or at least pace them differently to make them fit to episodic length of 20-21 minutes each, such as the battle of Doldrey and the Eclipse.

With that said, I am convinced that there will be multiple new scenes and not just the Bonfire of Dreams, seeing the comments of the staff about the project, yet we have no clear confirmation of what else they might have done.

As for the length of the Memorial Edition, Naoyuki Onda mentioned on Twitter that it will be one cour (which on average is 12 episodes of 24 minutes circa, but depending on the project it can be less or more than that, occasionally even with different length). Personally I see it difficult for it to be 14 or more episodes, but we'll have to see.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone actually care about this...? They're merely re-releasing this old thing with some slight updates. For all we know, the Bonfire of Dreams scene was sitting there gathering dust, and they're adding VO and that's it. Having this come out 10 years after the fact doesn't change its legacy at all, in my opinion.

I'm not expecting hype for this, honestly. Personally I'm interested to see how things get updated and the new scenes, regardless of the eventual quality (it's fashinating for me to see the process behind it).

And beside this, I'm also interested to see (and hear) the new music by Hirasawa and Sagisu and see if there will be a new album released. I'm feeling mixed about Sagisu's work but I hope for some good content or for a release of unpublished music from the trilogy.

Also, I'm curious to see if this will lead to a new interest or for future projects.

Does anyone actually care about this...? They're merely re-releasing this old thing with some slight updates. For all we know, the Bonfire of Dreams scene was sitting there gathering dust, and they're adding VO and that's it. Having this come out 10 years after the fact doesn't change its legacy at all, in my opinion.
I think it only exists to build noise and hype for new Berserk, I think they had a meeting and tried to come up with ways of promoting the series with as little money as possible, so they decided to recut a already released piece of media and add some new or features that were cut from the original release onto it. I get its a memorial but we already got the exhibition which to me felt like the ultimate memorial. It coinciding with the new manga just makes it obvious what they are doing. Personally I liked aspects of the movies I don't think it was a complete mess like most people on sknet think, it had some good moments. The ultimate abomination to me was the 2016 series so I'm glad they didn't do anything further with the piece of trash

Does anyone actually care about this...?
I care primarily because it's potential media to add to my 'Berserk Redux' project. If they add parts that have never been adapted by either series like say Silat at the tournament, The Bakiraka or Wyald, or even the King and Charlotte, I will add them to my cut. Even updated animation might be interesting if it's an improvement.

It's too much to hope for, but any Black Swordsman or Lost Children sections would be amazing to include as well, as I've had to Frankenstein those into existence with hired voice actors and specific editing.

I hope someone eventually does a proper adaptation of the full series, but until then it's piecemeal.

I care primarily because it's potential media to add to my 'Berserk Redux' project. If they add parts that have never been adapted by either series like say Silat at the tournament, The Bakiraka or Wyald, or even the King and Charlotte, I will add them to my cut. Even updated animation might be interesting if it's an improvement.

It's too much to hope for, but any Black Swordsman or Lost Children sections would be amazing to include as well, as I've had to Frankenstein those into existence with hired voice actors and specific editing.

I hope someone eventually does a proper adaptation of the full series, but until then it's piecemeal.
You poor guy. Between three anime series and three video games you still don't even have the full Golden Age arc, let alone the rest of the series. It's honestly baffling that not even Berserk's first episode has ever been fully adapted, even in the '97 anime it's cut in half.

I'm not really expecting much out of this. I'd love if this lead to a Lost Children film or something down the line, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
I'm genuinely excited to hear the soundtrack additions, especially the new ending theme song. Also excited to read that hundreds of edits and tweaks were made to improve the viewing experience. Now I do want to re-watch.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
This is really only interesting to me if it leads to them basically rebooting it as a decent anime series and they finally do Black Swordsman, Lost Children, Conviction, etc. With the caveat they'd have to do them WELL for me to actually care, so the odds are astronomical. I don't even know if that's possible in the current anime scene. I haven't watched anime regularly since the early to mid-2000s and it seems like a renaissance compared to everything I'm exposed to now, but I can't tell if that's because everything I would like gets treated like shit or if the way its made just looks kinda shitty now.

New PV shows the Bonfire of Dreams scene and ED theme "Wish" by Mika Nakashima.

It'll premiere on October 1, 2022

Last edited:
I'm shocked to see that in the scenes of the Bonfire of Dreams, the characters seem CG animated instead of 2D. At least the models are better than those of the trilogy.

There are also news for the music. They refer to Susumu Hirasawa's earlier Ash Crow album for the OP (since "Aria" will be used for it) and the ED single will also contain a new Shiro Sagisu song and its instrumental version.
No signs for the new Hirasawa music yet, maybe it'll be published at a later date. I also wonder if this new song will be the only new Shiro Sagisu contribution.

Overall I feel like they're not really investing much in this operation, and that they're going to invest as little as possible instead of trying to fix mistakes.
Now I'm really pushing the brakes on the little excitement I had for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom