[2022] Berserk: The Golden Age MEMORIAL EDITION

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand this notion that they are counting towards the eclipse to be honest, why would they do that?

That's literally what they're doing, though. :shrug: As for why they're doing it, well it's the climax of the story they're telling and also corresponds to its end. It's the most appropriate time to announce anything. Do note also that this countdown's only visual is Griffith's beherit.

they must know that most if not all of the memorial edition watchers are already Berserk fans, so the eclipse is not a suprise like it might've been to the 97' watchers.

These adaptations are typically meant to bring in new fans and rekindle the interest of casual fans.

Imma call it now, we are getting a BLACK SWORDSMAN CHAPTER adaptaion:chomp:

There's no such thing as the "Black Swordsman chapter". :iva:

OK, so from what I've seen, despite some smalls differences, they did not improve those wonky 3D models.
I've expected a more carefully crafted re-treatment, something more akin to the Arc System games which use a different process from the usual 3D animes (like this one).
Or perhaps adding more frames to make it full-motion, which would increase the costs but could also improve the sales.

And storywise, it seems obvious that they will not include everything from this Arc, right?
Meaning, if they intend to do a new adaptation, they will need repeat the Golden Age Arc all over again. :puck:

Also, a little unrelated to this topic, but aside from the old anime, the best "adaptation" is perhaps that PS2 game.
It also has some differences comparing to the manga, going as far as adding new characters and little stories.
But damn, the animation in that game was beautiful, both in-game and in the cutscenes.
Not even the PS4 Musou had that kind of polish.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
And storywise, it seems obvious that they will not include everything from this Arc, right?

It's just going to be the movies with some small tweaks here and there. As far as we know, the biggest change is the addition of the Bonfire of Dreams scene.

Also, a little unrelated to this topic, but aside from the old anime, the best "adaptation" is perhaps that PS2 game.
It also has some differences comparing to the manga, going as far as adding new characters and little stories.
But damn, the animation in that game was beautiful, both in-game and in the cutscenes.

The PS2 game is a hilariously bad adaptation of the story. It was good as an action game that places you in the right setting and with the right characters and enemies, but that's really all it's good for. As for the cutscenes, they were great for the time, to be sure. I uploaded them on my own hosting space so people could see them back in the day (YouTube didn't exist back then).

It's just going to be the movies with some small tweaks here and there. As far as we know, the biggest change is the addition of the Bonfire of Dreams scene.

The PS2 game is a hilariously bad adaptation of the story. It was good as an action game that places you in the right setting and with the right characters and enemies, but that's really all it's good for. As for the cutscenes, they were great for the time, to be sure. I uploaded them on my own hosting space so people could see them back in the day (YouTube didn't exist back then).
About the story, I think you're exaggerating.
To tell me that it's not perfect or even bad is one thing, but "hilariously bad"?
Common, it's not like Berserk 2016/2017 or something like of that level.:sad:

Personally I don't think is a faithful adaptation by any means, but considering that the game has just 1 hour of cutscenes, the story flows naturally in the game and the big moments from the manga were greatly represented, specially those at the ending.
And I also liked the added cutscenes and characters.
Particularly that scene at the mansion, it gave an interesting and different thought about Guts fallen comrades.

Again, not perfect or faithful, but not "hilariously bad" either.

Now I'm curious about this old hosting space, does it still exist?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
About the story, I think you're exaggerating.
To tell me that it's not perfect or even bad is one thing, but "hilariously bad"?

Griffith emerges instead of Femto during the Eclipse. That's the opening of the game. :sweatdrop: Please don't make me list it all.

Common, it's not like Berserk 2016/2017 or something like of that level.
:sad:

I don't think it's comparable. The game took many liberties because it had to be fun to play first and foremost. It wasn't trying to be faithful to the story, only to recreate situations where you can kill things as Guts. That's why I don't think it makes sense to describe it as an adaptation, to be honest. But it was a very fun game for Berserk fans at the time.

the big moments from the manga were greatly represented, specially those at the ending.

You mean when you fight and defeat Zodd, after having fought and defeated Grunbeld? :sweatdrop:

Now I'm curious about this old hosting space, does it still exist?

I took those files (that I had ripped from the game) down a long time ago. They were much too big compared to what I could afford at the time.

Griffith emerges instead of Femto during the Eclipse. That's the opening of the game. :sweatdrop: Please don't make me list it all.

I don't think it's comparable. The game took many liberties because it had to be fun to play first and foremost. It wasn't trying to be faithful to the story, only to recreate situations where you can kill things as Guts. That's why I don't think it makes sense to describe it as an adaptation, to be honest. But it was a very fun game for Berserk fans at the time.

You mean when you fight and defeat Zodd, after having fought and defeated Grunbeld? :sweatdrop:

I took those files (that I had ripped from the game) down a long time ago. They were much too big compared to what I could afford at the time.
I guess you're right about the opening of the game, I wasn't remembering about it.

But I don't think Guts battling Zodd after Grunbeld is "hilariously bad" ; and not faithful either.
So I will have to respectfully disagree.

About the new anime, I know the game took more liberties, but didn't that happen with the anime as well?
Not trying to be sarcastic or something, because I don't know how much liberty the production team had.

Oh, and I forgot about the unofficial Motioncomic, which was good, despite the removal of the first panel (perhaps because youtube would censor it?).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you're right about the opening of the game, I wasn't remembering about it.

But I don't think Guts battling Zodd after Grunbeld is "hilariously bad" ; and not faithful either.
So I will have to respectfully disagree.

It's absolutely not faithful to what happens in the manga, where Guts flees from his fight against Grunbeld and then falls unconscious for almost a month. And there's many other examples, like the encounter with Slan.

About the new anime, I know the game took more liberties, but didn't that happen with the anime as well?
Not trying to be sarcastic or something, because I don't know how much liberty the production team had.

Neither project was very faithful to the original story. Like I said though, it's not comparable. If the game had strictly followed the story, it wouldn't have been fun to play. Anyway, this isn't an appropriate conversation for this thread. Let's try and keep the topic on the film trilogy's "Memorial Edition".

Going back on topic, in the second part of the interview to the producer and director is mentioned that Judeau will have multiple new lines (some pretty long as well), and Rickert will have more space (not sure if just with one scene or more). If I recall correctly a few weeks ago was hinted that there would be a scene with Judeau and Casca. I wonder if it's all manga content or if they'll attempt something new.
In this same interview they also talk a bit about the music, in particular for a bar scene (I can't tell if it's a scene not adapted from the manga, an anime original scene or if they were talking about a scene from the trilogy) and that in the second episode they will make a surprise use of a Berserk song... maybe it's something from the 1997 OST or a new arrangement of it? Who knows...

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm curious to see about the additions and adjustments, and anything that can be new music. While adding face wrinkles isn't the remastering we hoped for, I think that for me it's a noteworthy improvement, those terrifying dummies looking slightly more human will let it be more enjoyable I guess.

Interesting. I'm sure they'll do the Judeau scene with Casca preceding the Hill of Swords where he gives her Elf dust. The new shot of him fits the manga. It will be interesting to see the additions with Rickert. Nothing comes to mind other than maybe more at the end of the Eclipse such as Zodd's parting dialogue. Or else maybe as a part of the Bonfire of Dreams scene. They also mention some short extra dialogue with Griffith

I sincerely hope that the mention of bar music is referring to the Guts, Corkus and Judeau scene before Guts' parting. I just checked the scene in the second film and I had completely forgotten how that abhorrent movie jumps from the filler moment of Guts dancing with Casca at the ball straight to Guts walking in the streets and then on the snowy hill. I hope they'll have the decency of at least flashing that portion of the story more than they originally did.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I'm sure they'll do the Judeau scene with Casca preceding the Hill of Swords where he gives her Elf dust.

That and they'll probably remove Griffith from the rescue scene just before, maybe giving Judo a few more lines instead.

It will be interesting to see the additions with Rickert. Nothing comes to mind other than maybe more at the end of the Eclipse such as Zodd's parting dialogue. Or else maybe as a part of the Bonfire of Dreams scene. They also mention some short extra dialogue with Griffith

Presuming they remove Griffith from the rescue, Rickert would run up the hill to tell them Griffith is back, like in the manga. Would be amusing if Griffith's new dialogue was limited to "okaeri". For Rickert, they could also add in the scene where the second group of the Band of the Falcon (with the wounded) gets massacred by the Count and Rochine's goons. As I recall it wasn't in the movie. Easy to splice in and sure to be a fan pleaser.

I sincerely hope that the mention of bar music is referring to the Guts, Corkus and Judeau scene before Guts' parting.

That was my first thought. I guess they could just mean they changed the music that plays in the tavern right after the assassination of Julius, but it's a pretty short scene and we see people playing instruments so they'd have to cut that shot to make it work. Overall the talk before Guts leaves feels like the right answer, and it's such a strong sequence that it seems like an obvious choice to add back into the story.

I sincerely hope that the mention of bar music is referring to the Guts, Corkus and Judeau scene before Guts' parting. I just checked the scene in the second film and I had completely forgotten how that abhorrent movie jumps from the filler moment of Guts dancing with Casca at the ball straight to Guts walking in the streets and then on the snowy hill. I hope they'll have the decency of at least flashing that portion of the story more than they originally did.

Agreed, it's a great scene, that really fleshes out both Corkus and Judeau. Corkus makes some great points in it, and we get a better sense of Gut's drive to live up to Griffiths ideal. If they do add it back in, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an abridged scene, because Corkus already has some of those lines before the second duel on the snowy hilltop in the movie.

Well, the new episode is out. It has a super spoiler-laden intro that goes on for 6 min! No new scenes, and a few edits which I assume are for time (even though the Intro is so long). As we saw last episodes, I noticed a few new 2D faces where we'd previously had bad 3D. I think Zodd had a few updates in his human form, but it was subtle.

No idea why they put that intro, for new viewers it would have literally spoiled everything it was a pretty nice AMV though, and is that a new version of forces? I can't remember honestly but it sounds like one of the previous remixes I'd heard but I really like it. So it seems we will get that scene of Judeau giving Casca the elf powder too which is cool and also that part when he's talking about Puck when they traveled together as we see the animation of puck flying across the screen. Overall I was reminded how much stuff they skipped it's honestly crazy I totally forgot they didn't Include the first time they celebrate together after their first raid and the entire talk with Guts and Judeau. The original anime was 25 episodes and this will be 11 it puts into perspective how much they cut and even more because the original anime also cut a lot of content

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the new episode is out. It has a super spoiler-laden intro that goes on for 6 min!

To expand a bit, because ApostleBob's summary doesn't quite convey how bad it is:

Some version of Forces plays at the beginning, showing various scenes from the later part of the series (Eclipse, Doldrey, Silat...), then at 00:30 it starts retreading on the stuff from episode 1, like a kind of "recap of last time". But because the transition between the two is completely seamless, it wouldn't be clear to anyone not already familiar with the series and/or paying close attention.

That recap lasts about 1m30s, then we get more footage of key scenes from (in order): the Eclipse (Void casting the Brand, SK and Zodd fighting, the apostles feasting, Femto, etc.), Doldrey, the hundred men fight, the parting duel with Griffith, the fight against Zodd, various scenes including Griffith's sacrifice and Guts gearing up as the Black Swordsman, with a somewhat lengthy shot of him leaving on his quest for revenge.

Now, that's at around 4:00 and you'd think that'd be a good place to end it, right? Well no, then we cut back to various other scenes: the castle on the hill from Griffith's mind, various shots of characters, a "Puck flying" transition, then a bunch of unconnected scenes, including Casca and Guts on the hill during the Bonfire of Dreams scene, more Doldrey, scenes from before the Eclipse, the victory parade in Wyndham... and that ends with something deep: the shot of a cat sleeping on a tree stump from episode 1.

Then at 4:15 it goes into the proper opening credits with Aria. That intro is reused from movie 1 and mostly unmodified (the credits themselves change a bit obviously). I guess the good part is that it has some illustrations from the manga, although seeing Puck, Schierke, Serpico, Farnese and Isidro is still weird as hell given these characters come into play so much later in the story. The episode itself starts at about 5:45 and runs until the end credits at 22:40.

To be honest, part of that sequence feels like a trailer, that's how it's edited. But other parts feel like they were randomly spliced together by someone who had no clear goal or vision. It feels like filler, which is basically what it is. I think what's going on here is simple: the first movie was 71 minutes long if you remove the ending credits. It stopped at the fountain scene with Charlotte. That's kind of a hard stop because after that, the second movie begins in the midst of a battle.

I'm guessing they felt it was best to start the third episode with Griffith and Charlotte's first meeting on the staircase, which happens right after the fight with Zodd in the movie, and that Zodd was a good place to end the previous one. So they had to add padding to this one (it's got only about 17 minutes of content), and they'll be cutting the next one short (there's 27 minutes left to the end of the first movie).

IMHO it would have been better to end this episode with the first part of the staircase scene, with just Guts and Griffith, and then start the next one with the king's retinue. Would have made things more managable time-wise. Of course, the fact you don't really see Guts or Griffith recovering is weird, but they would have needed to create that scene from scratch. Anyway, episode 1 had 24 minutes of content, so depending on how much they can stretch the third one, I think the first three episodes will have cut between 5 and 10 minutes of footage from the first movie.

Anyway, given the spoilery mess at the beginning of this episode, so far this "memorial edition" can't really be considered an improvement.

As we saw last episodes, I noticed a few new 2D faces where we'd previously had bad 3D.

I have to correct you here: there are no new "2D faces". They're only updating the textures applied to the 3D models, and very slightly so. The movies actually have some 2D scenes in them so I think it's important to make the difference clear. Anyway, I didn't look too closely but it's the same as being unchanged from the movie version as far as I'm concerned. No shot that matters (like a close up that lasts at least a second) has been meaningfully upgraded so far.

My takeaway from this episode is that the 3D is still awful and the modifications to the story still cringey as hell. I had forgotten the details but it's really astonishing how every single change they made to the scenes is so dumb (e.g. Zodd not blocking Guts' sword). And the musical arrangement is still bad, for example the music during the Zodd fight is just distracting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's Aria, Ash Crow was for the 2016 anime ost :iva:

Uh, sure, right, "one of the less memorable Hirasawa songs" is what I meant. :iva:
In my defense, I typed my notes while I watched and he does say something remarkably close to "ash crow" in it...

Oh wow, they actually gave us a bonus 4 minute AMV before the opening? How thoughtful! :troll:
By the way, it seems they're already messing up...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they forgot to replace Casca's 3D face with the new textures for half the episode. The left scene is pretty much the only one she actually has the new face. (The top images are from the memorial edition by the way, sorry for the confusing order)
H3broMc.png

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, it seems they're already messing up...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they forgot to replace Casca's 3D face with the new textures for half the episode. The left scene is pretty much the only one she actually has the new face. (The top images are from the memorial edition by the way, sorry for the confusing order)

Hard to say without knowing their process. It's possible some scenes had custom effects on them that aren't compatible with the upgrades they're doing, or they could also be manually updating the models for each scene individually because they work in some contexts and not in others. To be honest though, it changes so little (and those movies were so bad) that I can't bring myself to care. :shrug:

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I am only fast-forwarding through these to view the new scenes so all my time so far was wasted. Around 19 minutes of new material can be inserted if this will run for 13 eps and things will need to be cut by around a minute with no room for inserts if this will run for only 12 eps. Which is the case. (Make that 11 eps and you got a real mess on your hands.) But who could have predicted AMV breaks? Lol.
4°C made the impossible possible and made a worse product through this “remaster” despite minimally improved CG models in a few scenes and promised new scenes that look cheaper than the average movie scene in the footage I saw. The last thing I want are extended cuts of the 3 films but that would have been the smarter and cleaner option. Especially if the dubs are to be expanded. DBZ: Battle of Gods or Highlander: The Search for Vengeance got EEs. #ReleaseTheKubookaCut(s)

Vol 40 got an audio drama with the new anime cast. I say that the countdown is teasing something like that, outside of a home media release. Maybe with a motion comic component? No one got money left for anything more from the Berserk Saga Project and this Memorial cash-in is proof.

Compilation of changes in Memorial Edition episode 2 (compared to the first trilogy movies) below:

Aside from these, I was honestly hoping for an Aria opening with brand new visuals, but they didn't change them at all (my fault for having any expectations). I will say it's kind of fun to watch what's essentially the movies again and seeing Guts in motion.

But yeah...Green Zodd was such a weird choice. His apostle form doesn't look *too* bad in my opinion :stop:

it was a pretty nice AMV though, and is that a new version of forces? I can't remember honestly but it sounds like one of the previous remixes I'd heard but I really like it.
Its none of the official past remixes, if anything it is slightly modifeid version of the original.
A compilation of them is on Youtube ( <- clickable link), my favoriote among them is the Forces 1.5 remix - shit's hype.

Not gonna lie, the AMV was hell of a hype one, it pumped me so bad I had to pause it to do some push-ups to awake the Guts in me:guts:

Anyway, given the spoilery mess at the beginning of this episode, so far this "memorial edition" can't really be considered an improvement.
Its not spoilers if you don't know they are spoilers in my opinion, check out the official trailer for the 1997 anime - its pretty wild [link]

Overall I kinnda enjoyed it for what it is, even tho the fact they intoduced Zodd in episode 2 made me laugh my ass of, its a real speedrun of the story.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Its not spoilers if you don't know they are spoilers in my opinion

Your opinion is wrong. They are spoilers in that they show many key scenes extensively enough that someone unfamiliar with the series can infer what's going on in them, thereby getting a sense of how the story will progress and even conclude. Furthermore, the fact it happens within the second episode makes it infinitely worse than if it was an independent trailer.

check out the official trailer for the 1997 anime - its pretty wild [link]

That's not an official trailer. This, however, is a promotional clip that was actually used in Japan to advertise the 1997 TV series.

To expand a bit, because ApostleBob's summary doesn't quite convey how bad it is:

I have to correct you here: there are no new "2D faces". They're only updating the textures applied to the 3D models, and very slightly so. The movies actually have some 2D scenes in them so I think it's important to make the difference clear.

Perfect summary of what a mess this intro is Aaz and why. A mix of recap and AMV, with a ridiculous end on a static image of a cat. Then a whole new intro starts! It's an insane choice.

As for it being padding, I'm sure you're right. The odd thing is that I also noticed several edits during the episode. Scenes from the movie that had been trimmed by a second or two. A missing opening shot, such as when the nobles are telling us about the Hawks. The Opening of the Zodd sequence when Guts is arguing with his men also cuts in later. Very odd and random choices.

And you are right about the retexturing. It seems like they have an updated texture or filter to add more detail to the models' faces, to give it a more hand-drawn look. It's nice, but it's not much if that's all they are going to do. There were opportunities with a re-release that added more detail to where they had abridged before.

Top Bottom