A brief self-introduction and a question about the currently ongoing Community Re-Read

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I got into Berserk several years ago, mainly through the Golden Age Arc films, but I only started reading the latest chapters around the time of the release of chapter/episode 360, back in 2020. It was precisely around that time that I first discovered this forum and started reading the posts here, especially those concerning the newly released episodes. I've been lurking here for a few years now, intending to eventually join the community since before Miura's death, but never really getting around to it.

I've seen however that a "Community Re-Read" has started about a month ago, and that seemed to me the perfect occasion to officially join. And this brings me to my question:

Premised that I never really read the entirety of Berserk sequentially from start to finish, but that nevertheless I know the full story because I read all the story arcs (with the exception of a handful of chapters/episode) in non-chronological order at different times and I spoiled myself a lot; should I do a complete read on my own before joining the Re-Read threads or join immediately the first volume's one (after having read the first volume, obviously) and read along with the community?

I'll eagerly await for the answer; in the meantime, hi again!

P.S. Can I call them "chapters" (it comes automatic to me because most other mangas call them that, sorry :sweatdrop:) (although I know that in Berserk "Chapter" with a capital C is often used to refer to certain parts of the story arcs, each made up of several episodes) or is "episodes" the strictly required nomenclature?

Welcome to the forum! :chomp:
In my opinion if you already know the complete story and all the plot-twists and thus spoilers aren't an issue for you can join us, altough there's nothing like experiencing it blind for the first time - so if you currently only know the large events and nothing more, reading it alone first sounds better.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think the only real question is how much do you care about spoilers? Because no one else will be refraining from saying "hey this reminds me of this." If that's no problem with you, then go ahead and post your thoughts as you visit those volumes. I think a fresh perspective is valuable.

This is a foolish question. Yes, you SHOULD read the entire manga before joining a community RE-read.
A very good point; but I like I said, I have effectively read the entire story (save a few non-crucial chapters, maybe), just not in a chronological order.

Welcome to the forum! :chomp:
In my opinion if you already know the complete story and all the plot-twists and thus spoilers aren't an issue for you can join us, altough there's nothing like experiencing it blind for the first time - so if you currently only know the large events and nothing more, reading it alone first sounds better.
Thank you! :farnese:
And yes, I think I already know all the important parts (save for some of the details of the Lost Children and Conviction Arcs and the first half of the Fantasia Arc, since I didn't want to entirely spoil those for me yet; but I do know what happens in them), but I'll keep in mind what you said about experiencing it for the first time (although it certainly wouldn't be blind in my case).

In fact, the entire reason why I already spoiled myself quite a lot is precisely because I couldn't stop reading from where I started almost every time I went back to a specific chapter/episode. :sweatdrop:

I think the only real question is how much do you care about spoilers? Because no one else will be refraining from saying "hey this reminds me of this." If that's no problem with you, then go ahead and post your thoughts as you visit those volumes. I think a fresh perspective is valuable.
Well, I always had a habit of spoiling myself, so it shouldn't be a problem in any case. I guess I'll start reading in the meantime and see how it goes after having read the first (or the first few) volume(s). And about that, the threads for the previous ones will remain open for discussion even when the community will already be discussing newer volumes, right? Or not? :magni:

Aside from that, I agree about the "fresh perspective" thing and that's why I asked this question in the first place. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A very good point; but I like I said, I have effectively read the entire story (save a few non-crucial chapters, maybe), just not in a chronological order.

No offense but maybe you should read the series properly, in its entirety, before judging some of it "non-crucial". Internet summaries and Youtube spoiler videos don't count as reading. And needless to say, you should at least read Dark Horse's official version, not shitty scanlations.

P.S. Can I call them "chapters" (it comes automatic to me because most other mangas call them that, sorry :sweatdrop:) (although I know that in Berserk "Chapter" with a capital C is often used to refer to certain parts of the story arcs, each made up of several episodes) or is "episodes" the strictly required nomenclature?

They are called episodes. That's the correct way to say it. If you want to knowingly use an incorrect word, that's your choice. I will look down on you for it, though.

And about that, the threads for the previous ones will remain open for discussion even when the community will already be discussing newer volumes, right? Or not? :magni:
I'm pretty sure the entire community re-read is going to happen in the same thread, so when we transition to Vol. 2, we'll stop talking about Vol. 1 to avoid confusion and keep the re-read discussion focused.

I kinda get where you are coming from. Usually, when people get to read a manga after its anime adaptation, they just continue where the anime ends. It's common practice, I suppose, though it's not ideal, especially for this manga. Reading 300+ episodes, considering some are of huge lenght if you don't follow tank readings (as in, stopping at any given episode one day, and then resuming till next day) is quite the heavy task before volume 6. Nonetheless, you should read the manga from start to finish slowly, doing it out of obligation will hinder the experience.

No offense but maybe you should read the series properly, in its entirety, before judging some of it "non-crucial". Internet summaries and Youtube spoiler videos don't count as reading. And needless to say, you should at least read Dark Horse's official version, not shitty scanlations.
I'll probably do that. But for the parts I have read (the great majority of the story, that is), I did so from the actual manga, I don't know why you brought up "YouTube spoiler videos" and Internet summaries. I do admit that I have read it from online scans, but those scans are indeed of the official Dark Horse English translation (I obviously won't be linking those since it's explicitly against the rules, if I remember correctly); and since the scans are of the complete volumes, there's the publisher and editors informations right at the start to confirm it, alongside the Dark Horse logo (also on the back cover). I know that it's discouraged here to read it from unofficial sources, but the paper versions published in my country (Italy) have both mirrored panels and an incorrect translation, to use an euphemism (I don't speak or read Japanese, but I can tell the obvious differences from what it says in the Dark Horse version, which I assume has an accurate translation). To put it bluntly, said translation is very often slightly (grammatically) wrong at best, or completely changes the meaning of the sentences at worst. I don't have pictures currently on my phone, but I can snap some of the few Italian volumes I have lying around my house, to post some examples here, if you want.

They are called episodes. That's the correct way to say it. If you want to knowingly use an incorrect word, that's your choice. I will look down on you for it, though.
I'll keep that in mind :sweatdrop:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know why you brought up "YouTube spoiler videos" and Internet summaries.

Well you talked about spoilers, and that usually refers to information that does not come from experiencing a story first-hand in the way it's meant to be. I figured that's the sort of things you were referring to. I am glad that it's not the case.

I don't have pictures currently on my phone, but I can snap some of the few Italian volumes I have lying around my house, to post some examples here, if you want.

No need, I am aware of the many problems related to the Italian edition of Berserk. It's understandable you wouldn't want to read that. However you should purchase the volumes (be it from Dark Horse, Panini, Hakusensha, etc.) to support the series.

No need, I am aware of the many problems related to the Italian edition of Berserk. It's understandable you wouldn't want to read that. However you should purchase the volumes (be it from Dark Horse, Panini, Hakusensha, etc.) to support the series.
Aside from the volumes I already have, I was planning to buy the Deluxe Edition (which finally arrived in Italy last November, after many years), of which there are now two volumes out. Unfortunately, while the panels are no longer mirrored and there are all the advantages the Deluxe has over the "regular" editions (better binding and cover, original untraslated sound effects, etc.), the translation wasn't fixed/changed/redone. I guess I will start buying the English edition if I manage to find it without additional customs duties added to the shipping cost, probably on Amazon.

Aside from the volumes I already have, I was planning to buy the Deluxe Edition (which finally arrived in Italy last November, after many years), of which there are now two volumes out. Unfortunately, while the panels are no longer mirrored and there are all the advantages the Deluxe has over the "regular" editions (better binding and cover, original untraslated sound effects, etc.), the translation wasn't fixed/changed/redone. I guess I will start buying the English edition if I manage to find it without additional customs duties added to the shipping cost, probably on Amazon.
Amazon offer great deals on the deluxe versions here and there, I see them as low as 35$ from time to time.

Welcome, new member!
In fact, the first time I saw Berserk, I read the manga while watching the anime.I don't think it detracts from the reading experience.The re-read activity has brought a lot of new ideas. It is very interesting. I hope you can start soon :iva:

Top Bottom