A lack of Berserk - Dark Horse & DMP

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
I think it's more about how they have not received the reprinted issues yet instead of already selling out.
Yes that's what I was about to say. It's more an indication that Dark Horse's reprints may be in pretty limited quantities. Time will tell.

Walter said:
Progress update, RightStuf doesn't have the items in stock.

From an email I just got:
For reference I ordered vols 1-5.

Anyone else experience this?

Same here, I ordered 1-10, and was planning to buy them all in 10 vol. chunks as money allowed. I'm holding out hope I'll still get them, anyway.

Perhaps. I took the whole 'due to the unforeseen demand for the items listed' to mean they already sold out of the first batch. Hopefully they'll be available soon.

https://twitter.com/emgeethree/status/394876456750182401
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1507/dark-horse-manga-new-stores-berserk-gantz-vol-29-a

Looks like there might have been a delay with the reprint date. Dark Horse just finally announced the reprint themselves on their own site recently.

Jaze1618 said:
I really Really REALLY hope that volume 30 is reprinted with higher quality paper stock. That would be an instant buy for me.
Bender said:
That would be nice. We can hope.

I just asked Michael Gombos, an employee of Dark Horse that posted the news about it on twitter, about reprinting volume 30 with higher quality paper. I'll respond on this thread or update this post if I get a response on it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hitoshura said:

Looks like there might have been a delay with the reprint date. Dark Horse just finally announced the reprint themselves on their own site recently.

the reason so many volumes of Berserk became low in stock is that we just passed the three-quarters-of-a-million mark in series sales!
Fantastic!

If you're a fan, you know Berserk is a genuine epic that deserves its success (I say, use Berserk to get Game of Thrones fans into manga)
gutsbarf.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=Dark Horse editors]the reason so many volumes of Berserk became low in stock is that we just passed the three-quarters-of-a-million mark in series sales![/quote]

Very nice. The million is within reach!

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
Oh God, let the games begin... As of today Right Stuf has updated the expected reprint date to be 11/15/13 for a good chunk of the older volumes. I didn't check them all out, but I expect that 1-34 all have this new date... :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Antonius Block said:
Oh God, let the games begin... As of today Right Stuf has updated the expected reprint date to be 11/15/13 for a good chunk of the older volumes. I didn't check them all out, but I expect that 1-34 all have this new date... :???:
I don't mind a delay -- after all, we're Berserk fans. But I'd like them (DH and Rightstuf) to be upfront about it.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I say that's a good sign if those are the values of these new reprints.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2747407 said:
North American publisher Dark Horse Comics announced on Monday that it has sold 750,000 copies of the Berserk manga. Dark Horse is reprinting "nearly all" of the volumes of the manga, since many of the volumes were low in stock.

I've got a response from one of the RightStuff staff members.

"Hello xxx,

Thank you for contacting us.

The Berserk Graphic Novel reprints have not all come into stock yet. The reprint date was October 23rd, however, this was not the guaranteed date for us to receive the items into stock. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We are receiving volumes in each day. You are welcome to check with us periodically to see when these items come into stock.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

xxx
"

Just thought some of you may find this useful. The problem seems to be on the DH side.

I had a live chat with a rep from rightstuf.com today and he tells me they have the items in stock (except vol 37) and will ship Monday! (cross fingers)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Status update: My order has shipped, according to RightStuf. We should know the quality of the reprints soon. Anybody else get a notice?

Walter said:
Status update: My order has shipped, according to RightStuf. We should know the quality of the reprints soon. Anybody else get a notice?
I also received one, so fingers crossed anyway. I'll update when I get them, I ordered 1-10.

Sorry if it was already mentioned before, but I went to check that RightStuff store and though about asking here for an equivalent that ships from Europe. Does anyone know a good one?

Thanks!

Antonius Block

Walter said:

I received an email from Right Stuf as well, order shipped on Friday, so I should have it tomorrow. :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My new editions arrived today, and after scrutinizing them for any differences, I haven't found any in volumes 1-3 yet. While I'm ecstatic that Dark Horse has resumed printing the volumes, I'm disappointed they didn't fix problems with the initial print run like this one

gambino-print.jpg

Here is the original Japanese edition compared to the NEW Dark Horse edition. Admittedly, this page is among the worst print quality offenders in the entire run of Dark Horse's Berserk localization. But I really was holding out hope that a new edition would give them the opportunity to correct glaring printing errors like these.

Antonius Block

I haven't cracked into my package just yet to check out my volumes. Is there any indication that they are a 2nd printing, or could these copies be from the 1st run?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Antonius Block said:
I haven't cracked into my package just yet to check out my volumes. Is there any indication that they are a 2nd printing, or could these copies be from the 1st run?
They're new. There is no publication date on the first page, but the back shows a listing for volume 37, which was just released.

Jaze1618 said:
Anybody able to report if Volume 30 is using higher quality print stock?
Well, I'm certainly not going to re-order it just to fix that problem. Maybe it bothered someone else more.

Dark Horse's Volume 37 is now shipping, guys. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Jaze1618 said:
Anybody able to report if Volume 30 is using higher quality print stock?

I did some digging online recently after not getting a response on it from either rightstuf or one of the editors from Dark Horse. I believe this pic that I found on twitter proves that it did get reprinted in higher quality print. Notice how the size of the red circle in the reprinted edition matches the others unlike the first run? So there you have it to anyone that was on the fence on ordering a new copy to replace the old "test" run.
BZ8_fnfIcAAD7rG.jpg:large

source:
https://twitter.com/Razzuel/status/405112304196665344

Thanks for the research. It might just be a trick of the eye, but the volume 30 in that pic also looks far thicker than the original when it was printed on low quality stock. So my hope is that you are right and I will look to repurchase it very soon, hopefully my comic shop has it when I got to pick up vol 37

Right Stuff is having a 12 day Holiday sale with Berserk volumes 50% off. I believe they are selling them in bundles. Thought you guys might like to know.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=berserk#/?s=berserk&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:GN&o=30

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Right Stuff is having a 12 day Holiday sale with Berserk volumes 50% off. I believe they are selling them in bundles. Thought you guys might like to know.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=berserk#/?s=berserk&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:GN&o=30
Wow! That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Too bad I already have them all though.

Top Bottom