Abstraction Colors

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Teamup.jpg

Here's a link to a higher res one.

So tell me what you guys think. It took me a little over 6 hours.

Hope you guys like it.... there's some really bad ass color's on this site.

Re: Zodd and Guts team-up

I love the lightning effects, the coloring of Guts and the shading on the Ganishka fog, but the red Zodd........ It certainly makes him stand out, but personally it just doesn't quite work well. I like how colored the bits where they're on fire though.

Love the work!!

Abstraction

Cool... thanks for the input.

Also, isn't that the color of Zodd? I coulda dropped the intensity of the color (chroma) down, being it's at night time though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Nice coloration Abstraction! Do some more please. :serpico:

Abstraction said:
Also, isn't that the color of Zodd?

Well not really, his fur is brown, like that of a normal animal. I also don't think he's supposed to be on fire in that panel.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Kewl color, Abstraction! I hope this is the first of many more to come.

I agree with what was said about the fur color. I definitely think its supposed to be brown.
But that said I like how you did the eye. And the veins in the wing are a cool subtle addition.

The lighting in this panel (like I said in my thread) was tricky to say the least, its hard to pick a light source as it seems like potentially everything could be illuminated. That led me to try and make my pop my characters pop out via color shift rather than contrast. But thats just one way of going about it.

And while it was a bit strange having Zodd be _that_ red did manage to make him pop off the page, so theres an upside :)
Also I like how the lighting bits are illuminated at their ends. looks cool

Keep on posting!

It is interesting to see dif people work on the same spread. It's dif from CnC's no doubt,but it's good. Is this your first color Abstraction....or at least ur first Berserk color?

Abstraction

First off, thanks guys, soo much! I value your guys' critiques.

Aazealh said:
Well not really, his fur is brown, like that of a normal animal. I also don't think he's supposed to be on fire in that panel.

oh ok... It's a quick fix in photoshop... (image - adjustments - selective color)

But the fire was my little addition to it... like the veins in his wings, the detailed eye, Zodd's slobber/breath, the slightly blurred background, the burning city (you can kinda see through the hole)

CnC said:
Kewl color, Abstraction! I hope this is the first of many more to come.

Thanks... and Oh, it is...  :beast:

CnC said:
The lighting in this panel (like I said in my thread) was tricky to say the least, its hard to pick a light source as it seems like potentially everything could be illuminated.

Yeah, that was tricky for me too.

(I'm thinking to myself... Sweeet... CnC liked it)  :guts:

I checked out the link to your colors, in the 277 thread... damn good too man. I liked all of em. (especially the Tiger familiar crashing the ball)

Proj2501 said:
Is this your first color Abstraction....or at least ur first Berserk color?

My first serious one... all the others are little in detail, ava's.

But I plan on doing more.

Modify: Made the fur the right color.  :zodd:

Fan-art_Teamup.jpg

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

That is an absolute beauty! I look forward to more of your colorings soon Abstraction! I'll be honest, I like the first one more than the updated one.

Abstraction

Thanks!

I think I like the brown color more too. After all, that's what he's supposed to look like.

But I left the original there too, so it wouldn't seem confusing to the people who didn't see that one.... And then they're like... Red? huh... lol.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."

Excellent work!  With the change to Zodd's color I'd say you've got a damn good piece of art there.  Be sure to keep up the good work and post more.

Perhaps you should rename the topic to "Abstraction's colors" or something along those lines. That way you won't have to create a new topic every time you finish a new color.

D

Death Can Wait

Both colorings look great, nice job and good improv with the flames.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

The new one is definitely an improvement, although now that there isn't such a strong color contrast, the shadows on Zodd stand out to me as being a little too dark. Overall, it looks great!

Abstraction

yota821 said:
Perhaps you should rename the topic to "Abstraction's colors" or something along those lines. That way you won't have to create a new topic every time you finish a new color.

Good idea.. Done. :beast:

Modify:
I have a new color to show you guys.

Radiant-Evil_Small.jpg

High Res

As usual... Tell me what you guys think.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I like it!

I think the strongest points are Griff's eyes and the grass (it, however, could use some variance in color to help sell it), imo. Griff's skin strikes me as being too yellow at the moment.

I think the colors on the sky are interesting, but a bit outlandish. I would study photos of sunsets and go from there. Also, I would change the color of the black clouds. They work for a b/w rendering but when it comes time to colorize they seem strange.

Keep at it. This is a strong piece.

Abstraction

yota821 said:
Hell yes, that looks awesome :guts: .
CnC said:
I like it!

Thanks Guys!

CnC said:
I think the strongest points are Griff's eyes and the grass (it, however, could use some variance in color to help sell it), imo. Griff's skin strikes me as being too yellow at the moment.

I think the colors on the sky are interesting, but a bit outlandish. I would study photos of sunsets and go from there. Also, I would change the color of the black clouds. They work for a b/w rendering but when it comes time to colorize they seem strange.

Good call about the grass. And Griffith's skin looks weird cause in the panel it was all shaded in. And I was too lazy to come up with something that looked better...lol.

Also... I did do my research. There were some pretty crazy sunrise/sunset pictures... there was a few where it was mostly red, some with barely any red, some more pink, etc... but they're not all the same ya know... and I wanted it to be exaggerated to emphasize how Griffith is outta this world... and so the sunrise is too. Typical artist mumbo jumbo...lol

I did the clouds based on this picture in particular...

Clouds.jpg

And the sunset with this one...

Sunrise.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm glad to hear ya did some research :)

I think why it stands out as wierd to me is the colors seem to radiate from warm to cool within a very short distance. As for the clouds need some highlights and a bit more subtle gradation between the black and the white (if you are, indeed, intending to keep the black). You can see that in the photo you posted.

Top Bottom