Activation of the LHC

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
No! I refuse to believe in that damn calender. As far as I'm concerned the Mayans are dead to me. :ganishka:

Me too, but that would be one a hell of a way to go out... not many could be said to have died of a centuries old prophecy.

P.S: I think the activation is at 11:00pm central time, I could be wrong though since the site is still down.

Guts' intestines said:
Me too, but that would be one a hell of a way to go out... not many could be said to have died of a centuries old prophecy.

P.S: I think the activation is at 11:00pm central time, I could be wrong though since the site is still down.

If we all die there won't be anyone to tell about that, or do we all go to heaven?
The Mayans were dumb. (period) Proof? Who's still around to speculate about their calendars?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:_07zch_fzBoJ:www.lhcountdown.com/+LHC+countdown&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

2 hours from now.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:_07zch_fzBoJ:www.lhcountdown.com/+LHC+countdown&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

2 hours from now.

Doomsday machine didn't work guys! Back to the drawing board.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

edit:disclaimer: Spoilers for the game Portal

i dont know much about this thing but if it opens a portal to hostile aliens im ready to do battle with a chainsaw and crow bar. doom and half life prepared me well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, a guy at my office kept telling me that yesterday's event wouldn't be as significant as the September date.

Guess we'll just have to keep waiting around for this thing to rip open a portal to Dimension X. :judo:

Guts intestines

Walter said:
Yeah, a guy at my office kept telling me that yesterday's event wouldn't be as significant as the September date.

Guess we'll just have to keep waiting around for this thing to rip open a portal to Dimension X. :judo:

You know for a bunch of scientists they sure don't seem to be too excited about finding this so called, "God particle". Hmm, maybe they're as nervous as some others about it opening the twilight zone.

A

avidwriter

Oh so nothing really happened yesterday then? So why the big countdown? They're firing it up on Sep 10th?

avidwriter said:
Oh so nothing really happened yesterday then? So why the big countdown? They're firing it up on Sep 10th?

The LHC Countdown has been counting down to restarts for ages now. I'll wait for an official statement on the results or ... feel the affects of the results if things get out of hand, I mean who really even cares about a timer. It's not like the timer will actually tell you what happened. When, is not as important as What.

Guts intestines

Ramen4ever said:
The LHC Countdown has been counting down to restarts for ages now. I'll wait for an official statement on the results or ... feel the affects of the results if things get out of hand, I mean who really even cares about a timer. It's not like the timer will actually tell you what happened. When, is not as important as What.

Tell that to all those people who love to stand in Times Square for New Years. On a side note, they will be doing a webcast so in some way or another you'll be able to see the results.

Kind of a waste to put it up now but what the hell: http://webcast.cern.ch/

its also in the other link I posted but you can't see anything till the date obviously.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
feel the affects of the results if things get out of hand

Can we stop with this doomsday talk? Because it's just not going to happen and every sensible person knows that. The joke's getting old.

Guts intestines

Aazealh said:
Can we stop with this doomsday talk? Because it's just not going to happen and every sensible person knows that. The joke's getting old.

IDK, the scientists behind it aren't actually a hundred percent sure of what can happen, though they believe that it is very unlikely for there to be a doomsday scenario, plus they still decided to do a battery of safety tests to make as sure as possible that blackholes won't form. However, this doesn't stop people from trying to stop its activation. Besides its something to talk about till it activates, though I think many of us do need some new material, it is getting a bit stale.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
IDK, the scientists behind it aren't actually a hundred percent sure of what can happen, though they believe that it is very unlikely for there to be a doomsday scenario, plus they still decided to do a battery of safety tests to make as sure as possible that blackholes won't form.

That's just PR talk and people's declarations being exaggerated and taken out of context. When scientists say they're not a hundred percent sure of what can happen, they don't mean the end of the world. Seriously, the LHC's just a bigger version of devices we've been using for years, I don't see what the big deal is.

Guts intestines

Aazealh said:
That's just PR talk and people's declarations being exaggerated and taken out of context. When scientists say they're not a hundred percent sure of what can happen, they don't mean the end of the world. Seriously, the LHC's just a bigger version of devices we've been using for years, I don't see what the big deal is.

No big deal really, except to those who are truly ignorant to the machine. I don't think anyone here is seriously afraid of dying by the LHC, the thing is its still fun in a sarcastic way to keep making little one-liners about it, and sadly there are many people, even those not ignorant to science in general who could be put-off by the thing's appearance, basically as Walter said, the thing is not the most unimposing device you could lay eyes on. So unless this Russian+Georgian conflict boils into WWlll, besides LHC and 2012 we don't really have any major rumored world ending events going on. So just saying Aaz, can't we have our little fun?

Guts' intestines said:
Tell that to all those people who love to stand in Times Square for New Years.

On new years there is a celebration, kisses and sometimes fireworks.
Point being that people see the results after the countdown to new years. Watching a countdown to an experiment that may or may not happen and even if they actually activate it next time around, we probably wouldn't get a full report on the results.
Truly exciting.. isn't it?
I watched the countdown 3 or 4 months ago, it was amazing. The numbers went down to zero and then they stayed there.. there was no media release about any results and after getting bored I gave up. When I checked back a week later the counter was at it again.. counting down, to nothing.

Aazealh said:

I wasn't talking about doomsday.

Aazealh said:
Because it's just not going to happen and every sensible person knows that.

I don't recall any evidence indicating that everything will occur as expected and there certainly isn't any evidence that the world will implode. Which is why I'd prefer to see the results rather then speculating on what may or may not occur.

Guts intestines

Ramen4ever said:
On new years there is a celebration, kisses and sometimes fireworks.
Point being that people see the results after the countdown to new years. Watching a countdown to an experiment that may or may not happen and even if they actually activate it next time around, we probably wouldn't get a full report on the results.
Truly exciting.. isn't it?
I watched the countdown 3 or 4 months ago, it was amazing. The numbers went down to zero and then they stayed there.. there was no media release about any results and after getting bored I gave up. When I checked back a week later the counter was at it again.. counting down, to nothing.

No argument from me but there is not magical transformation from year to year, the fireworks are all things done because of new years and yeah many people watch just for the after celebration but you can see fireworks at any fourth of July, hell you can (in some places) buy them yourself, whereas the LHC isn't the showiest thing but atleast by watching you might be able to say that I watched as they discovered the God particle and revolutionized physics from then on, to me that beats any ball coming down at midnight, and any fireworks or hugs and kisses. And damn I really contradicted myself that is pretty argumentative, but you get my point.

Top Bottom