Age of Conan

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
C said:
I have all my character slots full, and play different characters randomly as I am always getting new friends who want to play. My highest character is level 46, my Guardian. I have had a blast and can't wait to delve into more of the game as they add more features and fixes. I read the forum a bit at work, the AoC forum, and see the fixes they are working on and features they are adding.

It is very fun and enjoyable, even with the few glitches I have played with. just like any new MMO, I'm sure they will iron it out. :guts:

- C
I see a fellow alt whore! :guts: Yea My highest is my barb who is 58 now... then I have a demonologist that is 34 and a whole bunch of others that are 20+.

I would rather level up with PvP since well... I would be gaining levels all day with the amount of kills that I have.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
They're merging the servers soon - a sure sign the MMO isn't doing that well.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54991

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
They're merging the servers soon - a sure sign the MMO isn't doing that well.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54991

Not surprised. Though my own server was still well populated when I left the game, I'd heard reports that others were feeling empty. I don't know what the situation is right now, but I doubt it's gotten any better since Warhammer Online's release. Post-launch development in this game was a catastrophe, since things actually worsened over time instead of getting better. Despite Godager's departure, I'm not sure they'll be able to salvage it. In fact I wonder if Funcom will survive this event. This isn't AO and we're not in 2001 anymore...

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
Not surprised. Though my own server was still well populated when I left the game, I'd heard reports that others were feeling empty. I don't know what the situation is right now, but I doubt it's gotten any better since Warhammer Online's release. Post-launch development in this game was a catastrophe, since things actually worsened over time instead of getting better. Despite Godager's departure, I'm not sure they'll be able to salvage it. In fact I wonder if Funcom will survive this event. This isn't AO and we're not in 2001 anymore...
The new patch that came out for this actually looks really good and seems to have helped out quite a few things in the PvP area... but then again I think its definitely too little to late.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Cards are in the mail! said:
The new patch that came out for this actually looks really good and seems to have helped out quite a few things in the PvP area... but then again I think its definitely too little to late.

The PvP patch? I don't think it's anything special. The only notable thing it did was to nerf gems, which could and should have honestly been done over a month before. PvP XP and PvP equipment don't seem to change much to the game itself.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
The PvP patch? I don't think it's anything special. The only notable thing it did was to nerf gems, which could and should have honestly been done over a month before. PvP XP and PvP equipment don't seem to change much to the game itself.
Not so much that, but they just did one this past week which I saw the patch notes for, it seemed to fix some changes to the PvP content such as... lower level characters that are in higher then intended areas are free kills now and the higher level's that kill them in that area wont be punished for it ala Murder Points and what not.

In any case I just saw that they are planning for server mergers! That's always a bad sign for a MMO!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Not so much that, but they just did one this past week which I saw the patch notes for, it seemed to fix some changes to the PvP content such as... lower level characters that are in higher then intended areas are free kills now and the higher level's that kill them in that area wont be punished for it ala Murder Points and what not.

Ah, well that's neat. Though from what I remember, the PvP patch itself didn't include any penalties for killing lower-level players, those were supposed to come later on.

In any case I just saw that they are planning for server mergers! That's always a bad sign for a MMO!

Indeed, though they had added more servers than planned for launch, so maybe they're falling back to their early expectations. I expect them to have a hard time getting over those first months of bad handling anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw about 10 copies of AoC on sale at Target today in the clearance aisle for $5.95. It's over people. That was a really short run for an MMO.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
I saw about 10 copies of AoC on sale at Target today in the clearance aisle for $5.95. It's over people. That was a really short run for an MMO.
That and they are finally starting to merge servers. Oh Age of Conan... what could have been... :judo:

EDIT: Also they (Funcom) have been letting some of their staff go. If thats not the tell tale sign that a game/company is going bye bye welp....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Also they (Funcom) have been letting some of their staff go. If thats not the tell tale sign that a game/company is going bye bye welp....

As expected. It's really too bad they couldn't handle the post-release development. The game literally worsened over time. The 3 months I've played were quite fun though, it's unfortunate they couldn't handle that potential properly.

I have been lurking around sk on and off, too much happenoing in my life. That's a story for another day however. :serpico:

Aazealh said:
As expected. It's really too bad they couldn't handle the post-release development. The game literally worsened over time. The 3 months I've played were quite fun though, it's unfortunate they couldn't handle that potential properly.

That is true. However, they got rid of the main guy, got another one, and really turned the game around.

Here is a new Euro gamer review, I will post some of it below as I know some poeple cannot go to certain links at work, and also a free trial:

Review:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/co...article?page=1 (read the clips below if it you can't see it at work)

Free trial:
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=189229

I am on the Cimmeria pvp-rp server. Come say hi, it's a blast now. I am currently running dx10 at high on my mid range computer between 30 - 60 fps and it looks great! :guts:

clips from the review:

Funcom launches free trials for its fantasy MMO Age of Conan today. You can pick up one of 20,000 exclusive free trial keys here at Eurogamer - just head on over to the giveaway pages for European servers or North American servers as appropriate. There are 10,000 keys available for each, and anyone can play on any server. Each trial key unlocks seven days of free play, and three exclusive in-game items.

But why should you give Age of Conan a second chance after its launch disappointed so many last year? Funcom has made many claims for fixing the game's flaws and flooding it with new content, but do they stand up? We sent our long-suffering Hyborian correspondent Rob Fahey back into the game to find out.

An hour into my latest adventure in Age of Conan's Hyboria, I'm discovering that playing a long-abandoned MMORPG character is absolutely nothing like riding a bike.

Unaccustomed to the pace of the game, my chubby digits mash helplessly at the number keys like a chimpanzee trying to play Chopin. My combos fail, my buffs don't shine and my health bar falters perilously as I struggle to relearn the input sequences.

I'd forgotten how intense and tightly sequenced Age of Conan's battles are. Accustomed to World of Warcraft, where the global cooldown on abilities seems glacial by comparison, I'm taken aback all over again by how much direct input Conan wants from me. As my fingers slowly recall the patterns they need and I start being able to string together hits, I'm recalling something else, too. Conan's combat is damned good fun. I wonder if the rest of the game is finally living up to that?

A little context: you can track my tempestuous relationship with Age of Conan through its review and re-review here on Eurogamer. I was cautiously but enthusiastically optimistic about the game at launch. Half a year later, I was crestfallen and cynical. Promises hadn't been kept, content hadn't arrived and the game had been "polished" with all the efficacy of a tramp cleaning your car window with a mouthful of spit and yesterday's newspaper.

I'd manfully struggled through the game to deliver one character to the level cap, but my two others remained stranded. My Guardian was sitting at level 37, dumped unceremoniously in a corner of the Wild Lands of Zelata. I had ground to a halt with him - literally. I simply couldn't face another round of bugged quests and sparse content.
'Conan's Second Coming' Screenshot 1

Funcom staff manning the Content Improvement Machine.

Yet, all these months later, Age of Conan is making all the right noises again. From those still playing, the news has been glowing - almost suspiciously so. The engine is fixed! The content is polished! New zones and dungeons have been added! From shortly after the arrival of new game director Craig Morrison, it seems, Funcom has taken to keeping its promises and Age of Conan has been turning into the game I'd hoped it could be from the outset. I'm dubious - but it's worth a look, right?

Thus, I rejoin my noble Guardian. He's got a log full of quests I don't remember, bags full of stuff I don't recognise and an action bar filled with abilities whose purpose I can't fathom. It's going to be a slow start.

As I push my way through a handful of the quests in my log, I put the game engine through its paces. A lot has changed. For a start, Age of Conan is now running smoothly and consistently at 60 frames per second. Aside from the occasional glitch with texture loading, the game's graphics are now pretty much perfect, barely stressing my mid-range PC even at high settings. Best of all, across the entire three weeks spent playing the game for this feature, I didn't experience a single crash. The technical issues which dogged Age of Conan after launch have, it seems, completely disappeared.

In the last few days, Funcom has even managed to put to rest one of the biggest criticisms levelled at the game, the lack of the heralded DirectX 10 support. It has finally rolled out, albeit in a "test" form which needs to be switched on by the user. It's not perfect, but it does look pretty - the most notable changes are to foliage in the game, with trees and lush grass swaying gently in the wind, but other additions like "god rays" (sunbeams piercing the clouds) and enhanced underwater lighting are also very nice to look at.

Technologically at least, Age of Conan now works - but as frustrating as the game's hitches were, they weren't the reason I dropped my Guardian. To tempt me back, the game's content is going to have to have improved - a lot.

I began my rapprochement by hauling my heavy-armour-clad backside back to Old Tarantia, the game's central and most impressive city, which boasts a fairly large outdoor quest area and a handful of dungeons. It's a good stepping stone to haul me up into the early forties, whereupon I can head off to the Field of the Dead, a huge zone in the mountainous north where should bring me right up to level 50.

I'm a little concerned about this part of the journey. Funcom's headline addition to the content comes later in the game, with the Ymir's Pass zone, which is aimed at levels 55 to 65. If I have to spend 17 levels grinding through weak content to get there, I suspect that I'll be abandoning my Guardian again in a hurry.

A day later, I'm level 42 and I'm wondering what on earth has happened. I've blasted through the Tarantia Noble District, delved into the Outflow Tunnels solo dungeon, and travelled around a little to hand in various quests. In the process I've picked up five levels and, more importantly, I've had a huge amount of fun.

The same pattern repeats itself in the next couple of days, as I edge my way up to the low fifties. The gaping chasm in content which faced players in Age of Conan only a few months ago has been filled - but not by a single new zone or dungeon. It's hard to put my finger on what has made the difference. Certainly, there have been new quest lines and objectives added to many of the areas, giving much more density of content to work through. The game has also sprouted a variety of parallel objectives.
'Conan's Second Coming' Screenshot 3

"I call this one the PVP Class Balance."

There are more subtle changes here too, though. Content which was already in the game has become easier to find, with more NPCs and quests which point you in the right direction. Moreover, lengthy quest chains seem to have been broken up into distinct pieces, so missing out on a starting quest at level 35 isn't preventing you from accessing a major chain at level 45 any more. They're minor changes, but their effect on the game experience is anything but. I gain 15 levels without ever once having to go off and mindlessly kill monsters for the next ding, or stare at an empty quest log.

And then I hit Ymir's Pass. This icy, frozen wasteland, the home of the Frost Giants, shows Funcom's creativity firing on all cylinders. Perhaps the team knew how much was going to be measured by the quality of this new zone; the pressure was on, and you can almost sense that from the intensity of the zone's design. Ymir's Pass is a stricken, violent and war-torn zone, dripping with atmosphere and Conan lore. It's one of the most visually stunning areas in the game - and it's hopefully an indication of where Funcom is going to set the bar for quality in future updates.

It's hard to avoid comparisons with WOW's new Wrath of the Lich King zones when you play through Ymir's Pass. Here, too, is a northern wasteland, scarred with battle and filled with lore-heavy races and locations - Frost Giants, forces of Atzel burning and looting their way into Cimmeria, and various dodgy black magic types. Ymir's Pass sees Age of Conan wearing its "mature content" badge with pride again - not just in the form of naked breasts for the teenage contingent, but also by being downright nasty in a way most MMOs just don't do. There's screaming, blood, pain and unpleasantness, but there's also a solid narrative supported by a number of key, well-composed quest chains which put the nastiness in context.

Between Ymir's Pass, a little more work on my Destiny Quests (a character-specific quest chain which runs from the start of the game the whole way to level 80) and a handful of trips into group dungeons, I made 70 in no time: clean across the former content gap. Moreover, the whole journey was incredibly good fun - the best fun I've had in an MMORPG since I first got to rampage through the Death Knight's starting zone in WOW. But in Conan's case, the enjoyment lasted for a couple of weeks rather than a couple of hours.

Yes, I just compared Age of Conan to WOW, and favourably. Don't misunderstand - Conan still has issues with content and polish which WOW worked past years ago. The forthcoming changes to the game's itemisation are desperately needed, with Conan's armour and weapon systems still being utterly dull and uninspired. It's not the realistic models that are the problem, it's the fact that upgrades are largely meaningless - you find yourself discarding level 60 items because they're no better than the gear you first wore at level 40, which simply shouldn't be happening.

Moreover, Conan's endgame still needs work, even if it's getting there. Resurrecting my level 80 character, I managed to blag my way into a quick run around one of the new endgame raids, Xibaluku. I say "quick" - it actually turned out to be quite a time-sink, filled with boss encounters which turned out to be taxing even for a pretty decent six-man team. It's clear that Funcom is toying with ideas for evolving its endgame PVE encounters; several of Xibaluku's bosses came with mechanisms that had to be puzzled out, rather than being straightforward tank-and-spank fights. It's a step in the right direction, as are the technical fixes to the endgame PVP sieges, which are pretty much in working order now. The game is moving towards having enough to entertain its level 80 population.
'Conan's Second Coming' Screenshot 4

Now all we need is some players.

On the downside, finding a group to enjoy all of this content with can be a little tricky. Age of Conan is, for the most part, extremely friendly to solo players. But even after the server mergers, it seems that the populations aren't high enough to make finding a group easy, and as ever, there's a chronic shortage of tanks and healers. Other MMOs solve this by diversifying those roles to make them available to other classes, a trick which Funcom could certainly do with learning. However, the community itself, after the mass exodus of the first few months, is for the most part friendly, helpful and mature.

The final test of Conan's newfound quality (and quantity) was the toughest. Having brought my Guardian up to 70 (he'll make 80 in no time, I'm sure), my eyes fell on another character on my login screen - a Tempest of Set, abandoned at level 30 but now apparently one of the best characters to play in PVP. Could I face going through the levelling curve all over again, so soon?

My cursor hovered uncertainly over the Tempest's character panel for a moment - but really, there was little doubt in my mind. Age of Conan isn't perfect yet, by any means, but the game is finally living up to its early promise. It's intense, entertaining and rewarding to play - and bringing a third character up to the level cap is looking like a pleasure rather than a chore. If it can sustain this rate of improvement - and that is a big "if" - it won't be long before Funcom has one of the best MMOs in the world on its hands.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
C said:
That is true. However, they got rid of the main guy, got another one, and really turned the game around.

Yeah, I heard it got a lot better recently. Still, I'd only planned to play for a few months personally, so I'm not going to go back to it. Enjoy yourself though, the game can be fun. =)

S

smoke

I only now hear about this, literally two days after uninstalling it.

(It took up 30 gigs and was just sitting on my hard drive for like 7 months, what was I supposed to do?!)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I don't want to rain on the parade but I think its a little too late for Conan. It had such potential but meh. I know they added a couple of things in the mid levels which is a good thing because grinding them friggon house missions got old real quick.

I suppose the biggest thing I hope they improved on was their GM staff. Man did those guy suck. There was no consistency and they just didn't understand the game.

The issue that made a lot of goons (Somethingawful) leave was that we had sieged a city on our "PVP" server for a couple of hours. We just destroyed everyone. Well a GM comes in and whispers to our raid leader that we cant pvp there because the other players didn't consent to it. :ganishka:

We laugh about it and start having our way with everyone and welp.. the D-bag GM starts to warp people around to random places on the map.

That wasn't the first time things like that happened to us. At the beginning a GM said that we couldn't run around in "packs" of players to pvp. What the shit is that? :???:

Anyways I will admit that Conan had/has AMAZING graphics! It was one beautiful place. To those that try it, stick with a class that can stealth and walk around without having your stamina drained.(Barbarian, Hunter, Assassin). It will make things much easier since everyone else will see you walk by and treat you like a 2 dollar whore in Thailand.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I don't want to rain on the parade but I think its a little too late for Conan. It had such potential but meh. I know they added a couple of things in the mid levels which is a good thing because grinding them friggon house missions got old real quick.

I suppose the biggest thing I hope they improved on was their GM staff. Man did those guy suck. There was no consistency and they just didn't understand the game.

The issue that made a lot of goons (Somethingawful) leave was that we had sieged a city on our "PVP" server for a couple of hours. We just destroyed everyone. Well a GM comes in and whispers to our raid leader that we cant pvp there because the other players didn't consent to it. :ganishka:

We laugh about it and start having our way with everyone and welp.. the D-bag GM starts to warp people around to random places on the map.

That wasn't the first time things like that happened to us. At the beginning a GM said that we couldn't run around in "packs" of players to pvp. What the shit is that? :???:

Anyways I will admit that Conan had/has AMAZING graphics! It was one beautiful place. To those that try it, stick with a class that can stealth and walk around without having your stamina drained.(Barbarian, Hunter, Assassin). It will make things much easier since everyone else will see you walk by and treat you like a 2 dollar whore in Thailand.

It's a lot better than it was. Many things have been fixed and a lot has been added. I play in dx10 now, and the beatuiful graphics are amazing.

I have been there since day 1 and almost quit a couple of times, but the new director came in and has really turned things around. I think it's about where it should have been on release day.

Give it a shot, it's free. :troll:

Here is a pic of a couple of friends and I deciding who to kill first, way South in Khopshef Province (this is in dx9, back from a few weeks ago, dx10 rocks!):

rekshurkp.png

Top Bottom