Aliens vs Predator by Rebellion

*Edit* It genuinely pains me to do so, but here it is:

AvP: Conga Line Edition

So you get in range of someone's back, press X and execute a Trophy Kill. No problem right? Wrong. While you're doing this, someone gets behind you and bam it goes on and on and on. I literally saw 6 people do this to each other in a row. IN A ROW!

What's worse is that you can be quite a distance away and press X and suddenly you'll 'warp' right up behind your victim and tear him a new one. If I was 8, this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm not and it feels cheap. No skill involved to execute Trophy Kills. None. I always thought an enemy would have to be injured or something, nope. If you can manage to get behind him...it's over. Although I placed numero uno in 4 out of 6 games I played, I felt like was cheating.

Alien: Fast as fuck, which does feel correct. However, sometimes I wanted to leap forward or up and it felt awkward. (Again I just played it, I'm sure there's some technique.) As an Alien it seems you must take on Marines and Predators from behind. They will waste you in no time flat if you make a frontal assault.

Predator. Jumping didn't feel bad at all. I was terrified it would be out of place. Nope. Leaping all around was relatively easy. Why can't the Alien be the same? Who knows. Now, for Predator weapons: The disc is alright, the Spear is thrown at light speed (HUH? If you play you'll see.) Wasn't able to find the Shoulder Cannon yet. The mines though worked like a charm, but the animation for them in the air (with a big, ugly motion streak trailing them as they fall to the surface) is really ugly. Really really ugly.

Marine: All day I read on forums (before I played) that it sucked being the Marine. While you are unable to crouch or ADS, I found a Marine who plays somewhat smart can kick some ass. I was wasting Predators and Marines with ease. In fact I found it too easy to kill Predators. I realize if they were juggernauts there would be no incentive to play as any other species
Note: Do NOT use the flamethrower. Man...useless.

Overall this isn't the AvP of '99. This isn't the game I've hope it would be.

BUT

The demo is a free for all extravaganza. Marines are offing Marines. Predators are gutting other Predators and there's a hell of alot of Alien on Alien violence. Now Free For All isn't my favorite game type. I find there to be no strategy. You see something moving, you kill it. Working with a team is a different type of experience.

Yeah, I was able to rack up kills as an Alien (well any species really) but I was killing other Aliens, I was killing shooting fellow Marines. It just didn't feel right.

I really think this game will emit a different vibe when your sticking together with fellow Marines mowing down Alien hordes or trying to find an elusive Predator.

Honestly...I'm let down. I'm not furious, but I really need to play the final build of this game. I honestly think the Single Player campaign will be enjoyable. Multiplayer? Not so much. It needs something done to it. It's definitely no Modern Warfare 2. This is much more 'up in your face' combat. I wish the demo could've been released earlier so Rebellion could've listened to community feedback and have more time to tweak things.

The jury's out for me. I won't convict it of First Degree Murder but Manslaughter is looking pretty appropriate right now.

Predatormovieanimation.gif
"You mean my game isn't that good? FFFUUUCCCKKK."

It's not like I didn't expect this game to be mediocre, I mean it was developed by Rebellion. A lot of people I've talked to thought I was crazy for thinking it as they think I'm crazy for saying Castlevania lords of shadow is gonna be mediocre because of who is developing it.

I have even been quite generous with Alien vs Predator so far but the more I play it the more apparent the quality of the game becomes.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Fuckin console ports.
In Halo you can also one shot kill someone from behind, the problem is that in avp it does all the work for you, and from a great distance. And then you're vulnerable watching this repetitive animation while you kill someone. No one in a fps wants to be standing still doing some retarded thing they can't control.
Give us crouch and a higher jump for Marines, remove trophy kills and auto aim melee and i'll play this.
Oh and the Pulse Rifle is way overpowered. I mean you don't need any other weapon besides that one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I tried it out, thought it was a piece of shit.

Game needs a lot of work if they want to make this shine. Much of the combat is melee based, yet melee attacks feel insubstantial and like you're controlling these guys underwater. Controls aren't responsive, and it has nothing to do with mouse sensitivity (which does need to be raised substantially before you even play). I played as Alien first, and felt a little vulnerable, but still managed a few kills. The field of view seems disorienting, and that's exponential when you start walking on walls. Then played as Predator and felt like a walking tank, but vulnerable from all sides.

That may seem like balance, but trust me, once people start getting comfortable with the controls, the Alien will dominate with the one-hit-kill.

I think it'd be great if teams were based on race. You know, Aliens vs Predators? As a free for all, this is just mindless chaos with no real tactics to be had,a and it's not very fun.

Walter said:
Game needs a lot of work if they want to make this shine. Much of the combat is melee based, yet melee attacks feel insubstantial and like you're controlling these guys underwater. Controls aren't responsive, and it has nothing to do with mouse sensitivity (which does need to be raised substantially before you even play).

Sadly, I have to agree. I just replayed the demo for a few more matches, racked up the kills...it felt good.

With the Alien specifically I wish I could claw rapidly. Instead, I feel like I'm pounding the button and seeing...swipe........swipe...............swipe.

But yes, this game NEEDS polish. However, I don't think we'll see it. The game is out in what, 2 weeks? How much can Rebellion do?

...and here I was thinking it would be at least as good as L4D2

B00005ULGY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"I'm just a dreamer, I dreamed my life away..."

NightCrawler

Walter said:
I tried it out, thought it was a piece of shit.

Game needs a lot of work if they want to make this shine. Much of the combat is melee based, yet melee attacks feel insubstantial and like you're controlling these guys underwater. Controls aren't responsive, and it has nothing to do with mouse sensitivity (which does need to be raised substantially before you even play). I played as Alien first, and felt a little vulnerable, but still managed a few kills. The field of view seems disorienting, and that's exponential when you start walking on walls. Then played as Predator and felt like a walking tank, but vulnerable from all sides.

That may seem like balance, but trust me, once people start getting comfortable with the controls, the Alien will dominate with the one-hit-kill.

I think it'd be great if teams were based on race. You know, Aliens vs Predators? As a free for all, this is just mindless chaos with no real tactics to be had,a and it's not very fun.

It still baffles me they'd put DM as the only game mode in the demo. It's the least interesting of all of the modes available. At least they could give us Species DM to try.

NightCrawler said:
It still baffles me they'd put DM as the only game mode in the demo. It's the least interesting of all of the modes available. At least they could give us Species DM to try.

If I were a developer, I'd put in the demo an aspect of the game I'm proud of, or at least something that would make people think it's a game worth buying. If they're proud of that mess, I can't even imagine how bad the rest is.

I've played a bit more, and my God, did you people notice the sound effects of the machine gun? It's right out of a Flash game. These shitty details make the whole thing feel so amateurish that it's embarassing.

turkitage

ターク
sigh... just played the demo.... can't believe how bad it is.. the controls suck so much. such a delay.

original avp was VERY awesome. Can't believe this is this bad....

10 years changes things, and Rebellions most recent games before this one were pretty mediocre. I was just hoping maybe this would be the game that turns things around for them but obivously not.

I mean do the developers not see or have time to fix the obvious flaws in this game? The only improvement I've heard the full game will have over the demo is adding the ability for the Alien to detach from walls to the floor with a button.

NightCrawler

It seems the demo is a console port with a 10 month old code. There's still hope for the PC community. I'll wait for some reviews before buying.

IGN score (xbox 360) - 8.5

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068446p1.html

Not bad.

Not bad indeed. And it's weird considering Game Informer gave it a 5,75.

I'm still hoping the campaign is decent, even after that shitty demo.

It's not a 10 month old code. There's officials from Rebellion posting in another forum stating that isn't the case. Feel free to research it further for yourself.

I did see the game get a 5.75 somewhere. Scary.
Today, I saw it receive an 8.5 from IGN UK. Those damn Brits favoring their own kind. Only kidding.

I think checking on Metacritic will really show what most reviewers think of the game. I won't be thrilled or wowed by an 8.5, at all.

And so far, the Marine campaign has been said to be 'the best' of the three. A complaint with the other 2 is that they feel too familiar.

What really puts me off and worries me is that Heavy Rain is released the same day as AvP and reviews are plastered everywhere. This isn't the case for AvP. Are they keeping the final build under wraps until Day Of? Probably because they're afraid of what they'll be graded resulting in poor sales.

They did this with both films too. :schierke:

NightCrawler

Did you guys actually bothered to read the Game Informers review? It was the shittiest review i've ever read, and i bet the reviewer didn't even bother playing the game, and writes things that show he knows jack shit about the movies. Seriously it's laughable. He even complains about the Predator's "heavy focus on stealth" :facepalm:

ALIENS VS PREDATOR
Two monsters fight their way to the bargain bin.

Aliens came out in 1979 and almost single-handedly defined si-fi horror. Predator released in 1987 and re-envisioned monster movies, creating a new terror for twelve year olds to obsess over. This year Rebellion releases Alien vs Predator for home consoles and like an antitesis to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, it proves that two great flavorers dont always taste great together. Set after the events of Aliens 3, a group of scientists on planet BG-386 begins breeding Xenomorphs for war. A war party of Predators learns about these experiments and decides the best thing they can do for the universe is to travel to BG-386 and put a stop to this bad idea by wiping out the colony. Players plat through three different side of the same story. Each campaign contains it own special set of problems. The human marine sections is set up like a survival horror FPS. There are a few good scares within these corridors, but after getting locked inside a room and having to fight off a horde of Xenomorphs for the 100th time, the repetition frowns the experience. It doesnt help that that your flashlight is as useful at lighting up dark corners as a laser pointer would be for reading a newspaper in the dark. The Predator sequences put you behind the heat-visioned stare of a young hunter trying to prove himself to his clan. I had fun using the Predators iconic arsenal, but the heavy focus on stealth, limited melee combat, and linear level design made me want to hang up my hunters dreads. The Alien campaign plays like a combination of the other two. Like the Predator campain, it has a stealth focus, and like the marine campaign , it sucks. As an alien bred for war, you fight over, you'd think you were tickling your enemies to death. Worst of all, the Xenomorph's ability to walk on walls makes navigating the world a disorienting affair;your biggest battle in this campaign will be fighting off motion sickness. Some gamers might appreciate how all thess races can go head to head in online deathmatch, but nothing else about multiplayer feels fresh, and many of the singleplayer problems such as the frustraing aliens controls- carry over. Curiously, Rebellion's 1999 PC release Aliens vs. Predator, was well received, but this update capures none of the games unique spark. Instead we have a title trying to live off the fumes of two dormant franchises. >>Ben Reeves

CONCEPT. three different campaigns and several full-featured multiplayer modes provide plenty of content for those who can put up with the rest of the game.

GRAPHICS. if the lighting was better and the environment a little more detailed, AVP's atmosphere could have been moody. As it stands, its just plain.

SOUND. listening to the aliens crawl through vents out at you would be scary if your motion sensor wasn't constanly bleating in your ear the whole time.

PLAYABILITY. poor melee combat results in a few frustrating encounters but the game poor AI keeps things relatively easy. Good thing these marines never figured out how to look up.

ENTERTAINMENT. the original aliens movies changed film forever, but this game is more derivative then a a straight to video steven segal movie.

RATING 5.75 out of 10.

Oh, and there's another review from NOT-UK magazine PC Powerplay - 7/10

For a niche game it's not bad. Specially when people complain about no crouch and no ironsight. Seriously, ironsight?! In an Aliens game? L-O-L. No crouch bugs me though.

New MP trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6I7a6t81xQ

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just got this earlier tonight. It's not THAT bad. We started off with the human campaign and then after about 3 or 4 missions did 2 or 3 more with the alien. I'll admit the alien controls are a little shitty and the campaign seems like it was really rushed to be put together. They could have put a lot more detail into it. Having said that the human campaign is a ton better. It's a lot more fun playing a marine and shooting the aliens. Haven't seen too much of the Predator yet so I can't comment on that ( it's sort of buildup). But overall not as bad as a I thought and I really love how the story plays out between the campaigns. Also any fan of either series will love the sound effects. When I heard those marine pulse rifles shoot it brought me right back to Aliens. Not to mention the story does indeed connect to the movies in a few ways. It takes place 30 years after the first Alien movie, but you can tell the developers gave the game (the marine campaign at least) an Aliens feel to it.
You're on a colony that's overrun and you get to wander through the infested depths of the compound with a flame thrower just like Ripley and kill the queen (this is all in the second mission).
Also it's violent as fuck.

Oburi said:
You're on a colony that's overrun and you get to wander through the infested depths of the compound with a flame thrower just like Ripley and kill the queen (this is all in the second mission).

Spoilers! You fool!

Mine is in the mail. Glad to hear it's not an abomination, sad to hear it's not great.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I'm really enjoying it. It's not an abomination at all. But like I said the Alien missions are pointless. It's literally just you wandering around the huge, boring maps killing humans. They are short too. So you can tell the developers were just doing it because they didn't want to leave it out, but I'm guessing the marine and predator campaign is what the main focus is. Being a fan of the movies, I'm also glad to see how they used the films to design the levels. Like I said before the fist few marine missions are just like
the Aliens film, then you go out in the jungle where the predator is stalking you. Then you go into one of those pyramid temple things from the first Alien versus Predator movie.
Whether or not you liked that first AvP movie I suggest you watch before playing because a lot of references are made to connect to that story.

They show Weyland a lot too, which I'm still confused about. Maybe someone who knows more can explain that for me. Weyland is shown in Alien vs. Predator as a human but he dies in that movie. We find out that the company, Weyand-Yutani, then designs those cyborgs after him and we see that in Aliens and Alien3. So who is the Weyland in the game? It obviously isn't the original. Is it another cyborg?

It's sad that I have to admit this, but this game was a very big let down.

Spoilers Ahoy

Single Player

The Alien campaign showed promise but it was over before it began. Harvesting was neat but the same animation used over and over made it a 'Meh' moment.

The Marine campaign was really well done but came unraveled at the end where to have to fight Bishop. God that sucked. Oh and talk about lazy. When Bishop falls into the lava, there's no splashes. It looked so cheap. Ugh. The minute you go to confront Bishop, the charm of the Marine's campaign was lost in the lava lit temple. The addition of the Synth-Combat Droids were welcome IMO.

The Predator campaign was a yawn fest. Plain and simple.

This game felt like something I should've played 2 years ago or more. It looked and felt dated.

I'm going to play more Multiplayer this evening but not expecting a revelation.

Also, my Facehugger's tail was half ripped off due to whoever packaged it at the factory wound the tail up too tight.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Also, my Facehugger's tail was half ripped off due to whoever packaged it at the factory wound the tail up too tight.

Check this out bro:

http://kotaku.com/5474819/sega-replacing-broken-alien-facehuggers said:
Unable to adapt to harsh shipping conditions, many of the Alien Facehuggers included in the Hunter Edition of Aliens Vs. Predator had their tails snap off. Sega's bio-engineers are on the case.

[...]

Simply visit Sega's Facehugger Collectible Replacements page, fill out a form, which includes a space for the Hunter Edition-exclusive downloadable content voucher code for verification, and Sega will be in touch with instructions on how to score an intact Facehugger.

Top Bottom