An illustration by Kentarou Miura for Gackpoid

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Berserk's Miura Draws Virtual Gackt for Voice Software

lyuogacktgd1.jpg

[quote author=http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/0806/20/news043.html]The software maker Internet has announced on Friday that its Gackpoid vocal music synthesizer, which features the voice of musician and occasional anime voice actor Gackt, will ship in Japan at the end of July. Berserk manga creator Kentarou Miura has drawn the package illustration of "Kamui Gakupo" in the image of Gackt himself. As with the earlier virtual idol Miku Hatsune, Gackpoid uses Yamaha Corporation's Vocaloid engine and voice samples from Gackt to create entirely new songs when ordinary computer users type lyrics and musical notes. The official website for the software has posted two demo songs of the software.

Gackt performed theme songs for Texhnolyze and two of his childhood favorite franchises, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Fist of the North Star. He also voiced the character Seiji in the New Fist of the North Star videos. [/quote]

Weirdness....

Edit - Sorry about the image host, should be fixed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's interesting; I don't think it looks like his usual style. But then again, he often tries out new ones and maybe he went for something suiting Gackt here. I'd like a bigger picture to check out the details.

Walter said:
I can... sort of see it. Is this the inspiration for Hanafubuku Oh?!! :isidro:

AHAHA, Walter :guts:. You made my day!

Hanafubuku's queen. :carcus:

Now to be on topic. I'm really surprised its for vocaloid, if anyone knows what that is. It's a music program of sorts. Usually with different voices. Here I'll post a video of what one of the voices is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHcmt9Q7GWc

I think the picture is beautiful but I would never have guessed it was drawn by Miura. >_<

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reviving this thread because I just realized nobody had posted the rest of the work Miura did for Gackpoid. Two pretty cool color illustrations along with the one already posted can be found on this page and 15 sketches are available on this one.

Aside from that, it's worth mentioning that Miura normally doesn't accept that kind of work, but that he made an exception and insisted not to be paid for the job in keeping with the spirit of the Nico Nico Douga video sharing website (Japanese equivalent of YouTube) that he's a member of. It's the main resource for sharing Vocaloid-made material online and it's through it that he and the company came in contact about the job. Another one of his conditions was that the character could be used freely (non-commercial use, obviously) by the website's members, to be sure there wouldn't be any copyright infringement problems.

When the company contacted Hakusensha they were told that his schedule was full (no surprise here), and were given a very tight deadline, but anyway Hakusensha did agree to contact him about it. He confirmed his interest and made the sketches very quickly.

Also of note is that Gackt, who's a Berserk fan, was enthusiastic about the collaboration and even asked that the sketches be faxed to him on the set of the movie he was starring in at the time. More details can be found here.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Hum that's very interesting! Thanks Aaz for the rest of the sketch. It's cool to see another style by Miura. Though I certainly prefer his Berserk related drawings, I must say these sketch are pretty cool.

Yeah that's absolutely awesome. Thanks Aazealh. If you look at the first link, third image of the close up of the girls face, you can see a resemblance to Casca. In that particular image she actually also has a strange resemblance to Roderick.. of all people. :troll: I think it might be the nose or the eyes. So all in all.. it's not really that different in style.

http://www.ssw.co.jp/products/vocal/gackpoid/illust_download/index_image/kamui_3b.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
If you look at the first link, third image of the close up of the girls face, you can see a resemblance to Casca. In that particular image she actually also has a strange resemblance to Roderick.. of all people.

It's a guy. The character is based on Gackt, remember?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for reviving the thread, Aazealh, I'd completely forgotten about it. It's extremely cool seeing Miura draw something other than Berserk. As Ramen4ever said, you can see a bit of Roderick in Gackt's face, but overall it's pretty unique. I especially like his design of the sword.

That's pretty awesome of Miura. Glad to think money isn't on his mind when it comes to his work (then again, I remember mention of him keeping some of his paintings? That's easy money if he really wanted...) I'd say when it comes to Gackt, I'm not too surprised by how effeminate a design appears to be. I mean... it's Gackt. I'm ashamed to admit sometimes I think the look is pretty cool (okay, and I might've liked a song or two *cough*).

Checking out the sketches, I'm noticing that the sword has a sort of frequency line thing going on in the blade? That's pretty unique and an awesome touch. The combo is pretty win overall, and I like the cause! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
spineylamb said:
(then again, I remember mention of him keeping some of his paintings? That's easy money if he really wanted...)

I've never heard of him selling any of his work (paintings and the like). Not that I think it'd earn him that much money compared to what he makes with Berserk.

spineylamb said:
Checking out the sketches, I'm noticing that the sword has a sort of frequency line thing going on in the blade? That's pretty unique and an awesome touch. The combo is pretty win overall, and I like the cause! :serpico:

That's normal: it's actually a musical instrument shaped in the form of a sword. Notice how the hilt has keys on it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
And if anyone's interested (and reads Japanese), below is an article containing a transcript of an email Miura sent Gackt during a live stream show on Nico Nico Douga yesterday.

http://getnews.jp/archives/129487 said:
39枚目のシングルCDをリリースした歌手のGACKTさんが2011年7月15日、ニコニコ生放送「木曜ニコラジ」に出演。漫画「ベルセルク」の作者として知られる三浦建太郎さんのメッセージが読み上げられ、「心の友だ」と感激する一幕があった。

GACKTさんが7月13日にリリースした39thシングル「Episode.0」は、ボーカロイド「がくっぽいど」を使って制作された楽曲のコンテストで、GACKTさん自身の選考によりグランプリに選ばれた作品だ。同シングル初回限定版のジャケットに描かれているボーカロイド「がくっぽいど」のキャラクターイラストは、漫画家の三浦建太郎さんが手がけている。

番組では、その三浦さんからGACKTさん宛にメールが届き、MCを務めていたやまだひさしさんにより読み上げられる一幕があった。三浦さんは、

「ニコ動ができてから5年。始まった頃は荒削りではありましたが、なにか今までに無かったものが生まれていると、日々マイリスが増殖していくことにワクワクしたものです。プロ、アマ、一次制作者、二次制作者、よってたかって何かを生み出す様。これは文化という範疇におさまるかどうかはわかりませんが、とにかくエキサイティングでした」

とニコニコ動画に言及。その上で、自身がキャラクターイラストを手がけたボーカロイド「がくっぽいど」について語った。

「中でもボーカロイドというジャンル。大きな屋台骨あることは間違いありません。GACKTさんの声から生まれ、僭越ながら私が姿を与えた『がくぽ』(=ボーカロイド「がくっぽいど」のキャラクター)が様々な人に言霊や新たな息吹を与えられ、広がった波紋が跳ね返るように原点のGACKTさんの声に帰ってくる。不思議で素敵な瞬間だと思っています」

とGACKTさんの声をもとに作られた「がくっぽいど」から生まれた楽曲が、再びGACKTさん自身のもとに帰り、CD化されることを「不思議で素敵な瞬間」だと表現した。三浦さんは最後に、

「現在も私のマイリスは日々増殖しております。一プレミアム会員(笑)として、これからもニコ動が活力あるカオスであり続けることを望んでおります」

と結んだ。これに対しGACKTさんは三浦さんのことを「心の友だ」と感動。MCのやまださんは、「GACKTさんの周りに集まる人たちは、ただ好き同士だけでなく、みんなお互いにリスペクト(尊敬)し合って、常に真剣勝負している」と感想を口にしていた。

(丹羽一臣)

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Does that translate to "they're super duper best friends?"

I hope so. Because the fact that Miura digs this guy made me start looking stuff up on him and I've been listening to some of his stuff and I dig it. So, thanks Kentaro Miura for another great music reccomendation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Does that translate to "they're super duper best friends?"

Miura's message is mostly about Nico Nico Douga and how great it is (he's a premium member and all), but he does say that Gackt is a great singer. According to the article, Gackt said in return that Miura is a close friend.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aw, that's so nice :)

On the other hand i think the cover is pretty shitty, not up to Miura's standards.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
NightCrawler said:
Aw, that's so nice :)

On the other hand i think the cover is pretty shitty, not up to Miura's standards.
I really, honestly, 100% do not think that "shitty" could ever be a word used to describe Miura's work. "Not up to his standards" is maybe arguable, sure, but that CD cover is far from "shitty."

Top Bottom