Anyone else miss early Puck?

Do you think early Puck should make a return?

• Agree

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Like when Miura drew his whole body and made him kinda chubby? And actually had a character? I like the comic relief version you see in later Berserk but I feel like that shouldn’t be the only version you see like it has been for the last decade or so.

Like when Miura drew his whole body and made him kinda chubby? And actually had a character? I like the comic relief version you see in later Berserk but I feel like that shouldn’t be the only version you see like it has been for the last decade or so.

Well, not to be rude, but first of all, Puck has always been a comedic character in the series (which doesn't mean it's his only role).

Also, Miura has drew him MANY times in his "normal version" in the last decade, you are either exaggerating or just not paying attention.

I've seen lots of people share this opinion, but I think most of them miss an important detail about Puck.

In the Black Swordsman arc Puck was the outsider who was thrown into Guts' journey. He knew nothing of Guts, his past, his goals, relationships, etc. He was the embodiment of the reader. Not only he stood where a new reader stands as far as knowing what's going on in the story, but he also uses his elf power to sense emotions to help the reader better understand Guts. Puck's character played an important role during the Black Swordsman arc.

After Golden Age arc, this role is no longer needed. What's more, the reader know more about Guts than Puck does. This is why Puck's role shifts to someone who helps Guts retain his humanity and stay sane.

When more characters join Guts, Puck's "screen time" naturally decays, which also makes it seem like he became insignificant. But that's simply not true.

I, personally, love Puck. I love the goofiness of him. He doesn't need to be serious, since we have more than one character who fills this role.

Well, not to be rude, but first of all, Puck has always been a comedic character in the series (which doesn't mean it's his only role).

Also, Miura has drew him MANY times in his "normal version" in the last decade, you are either exaggerating or just not paying attention.

Can you point out some chapters where he is drawn in his non-walnut style? And he was always comedic, but rereading the first few chapters a lot of his comedy was physical, and centered on him getting knocked around. I mean recently his origin story was how he peed on a seagull and it just kinda felt mismatched against early Puck chapters.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think you went about wording this the wrong way. I'm with you that I want a few more candid, serious scenes with Puck to balance out his comedy, because it's been a while since that happened. But relegating your complaint to the way in which he's drawn, well that's just not really the point I don't think.

Here's what I've said previously about what I want from Puck moving forward:

Miura probably feels like it's okay for Puck to step out of the spotlight and have other characters take the role he once had as Guts' conscience. But it's been a loooooooooooong time since we got a really genuine moment with Puck (the last memorable one was a panel in Vol 27, fearing what the armor would do to Guts). Schierke has basically supplanted the role Puck once had with Guts, and I absolutely love their relationship. So all I'm asking for is more scenes that give Puck more to do as a character than serve as a foil for Isidro's antics.

Can you point out some chapters where he is drawn in his non-walnut style? And he was always comedic, but rereading the first few chapters a lot of his comedy was physical, and centered on him getting knocked around. I mean recently his origin story was how he peed on a seagull and it just kinda felt mismatched against early Puck chapters.

Well, i can't really point a single one, he turns into his normal style many times in almost every episode he is in, i just re-read Volume 38 and 39 and he is shown many times in his normal style. I mean i can't think of an episode where he has stayed in his normal style without going all chestnut mode in a couple pages, but i think you just worded it weirdly, you made it sound like puck is a chestnut in every page without changing back.

And his backstory about him with the seagull wasn't that off from his usual self, i mean if you read even the early episodes, he was a goof from the beginning. It was just that it was just him and Guts, so he had some very serious moments while also being a comical character. But since the Conviction Arc when we begun getting more and more characters into the group, Miura decided to change Puck's role from being a comical character which was also very helpful most of the time, to mostly comical while helping... sometimes, in order to give the new characters their moments to shine.

But I do agree that puck should get some more scenes where he is helping Guts like the old times, but the thing is that i don't know how Miura could do it since Guts has so many new group members that are sadly more capable of helping than Puck... The most Puck can do right now is to puck spark some guys here and there... But who knows, maybe we'll get a moment or two in the future. :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
But I do agree that puck should get some more scenes where he is helping Guts like the old times, but the thing is that i don't know how Miura could do it since Guts has so many new group members that are sadly more capable of helping than Puck...

In the beginning, Puck "helped" Guts primarily by being a moral compass for his actions, since he was in a dark place at the time. It's not an exaggeration to say that Puck is the reason Guts survived his dark impulses. But Guts doesn't really need that kind of attention anymore, because among other reasons, he has his head on straight now. And in many ways, Schierke often serves that type of preservation role for Guts in trying to reign in his self-damaging tendencies. Still, Puck could just as easily deliver serious exposition as other characters, so Miura can have him express a wider range of emotions.

Still, Puck could just as easily deliver serious exposition as other characters, so Miura can have him express a wider range of emotions.

Hmm, that's true. He has rarely made a serious comment about something happening to Guts lately and his emotions have been shown mostly through comical moments.

So yeah, even if he doesn't really have to "help" him any more, he can definitely have more emotional moments to balance things out like you said.

I would definitely like to see this again.

Personally, I think he might just have his chance soon as well, depending on the situation with Casca. Puck has been with Guts since the beginning of the story during his apostle hunts. He was also the only one with Guts when the story first started towards Elfhelm and dealing with Casca too.

It'd be cool to see him have a one on one with Casca or something to explain what Guts has been through. I think that might be a cool chance to see normal Puck again.

Who knows though, it's just a random thought on my part.

Top Bottom