[AOW] Berserk - The Tentacle Ship 2013

Re: AOW - new statue coming out in Nov

more info on facebook page:

We have almost finish taking the pictures for Berserk -the Tentacle Shop- 2013 version. Tomorrow we will reveal some color pictures for you. But other details (eg. the price) are still not decided. We are trying our best to negotiate with the factory...
This time the quantity for exclusive version will be more than the standard version, therefore please do not worry to get your one.

1463663_458016100986154_1219149992_n.jpg

Let's wait and see... :schierke:

We could send a letter , or everyone could send them an email protesting their pricing policies, compared to other companies for example. This is not something that should cost more than a hot toys

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Sankari said:
We could send a letter , or everyone could send them an email protesting their pricing policies, compared to other companies for example. This is not something that should cost more than a hot toys

It won't change as long as some die hard collectors keep buying no matter the price. All current AOW issues, including the pricing one, have been regularly brought to their attention since at least 2004.

Aazealh said:
It won't change as long as some die hard collectors keep buying no matter the price. All current AOW issues, including the pricing one, have been regularly brought to their attention since at least 2004.

Exactly. These days you see lots of great companies offering amazing products, full of extras, and on a more reasonable price. See medicom with RAH, Hot Toys , Asmus Toys ( I just received their 1/6 Witch King). All of those are full of extras and on the $200 range. No reason why AOW should be charging 900$ (other than greed).

90000 yen at your door price is 1100$ nowadays after all the bank fees and shipping. It is 1350$ back in the older days when berserk 20th euro~last ver. Came out. Now the yen price is a bit better vs usd but still.

I believe I paid 750$ on total on skull knight white boned ver. after all the fees. 620 at the actual jap/usd conversion, 25$ bank fees and 110$ shipping. Whoever won the recent white bone exclusive eBay auction stole it. This statue in exclusive ver is worth every penny.

I think the new guts statue will be 100000yen plus shipping, no doubt the box will be a huge mother.

Too bad the fan base is so small they can at most release 200 pieces even on the big project. I'm also knowing that the value will probably decrease over the years due to even further dropping on berserk fan base numbers if no new manga is coming out.

The new berserk armor exclusive will be an instant sold out no doubt. Whoever wants it go get ur mouse/internet speed ready now. I'm ready to buy it as a hardcore fan.

Sankari said:

Wait, I agree with you, the prices are crazy but the superior quality of AOW’s statues is beyond dispute. I’m not considering the likenesses, dimensions or poses of the statues. I’m talking about the overall manufacturing. Even if I think you can’t compare dolls and statues, imho there isn’t Hot Toys, Enterbay, Sideshow, Bowen etc… that can compete with AOW quality.

I can’t define myself an AOW hard collector (I’ve got “only” six of their statues) but no doubt I prefer to spend 500$ for a top-notch painted 1/10 Birth Ceremony Guts instead of 400$ for a 1/4 (big scale, big impact… of course) Sideshow Premium Format, always full of paint flaws and far from the prototype.
However I think there must be a limit in the quality/price ratio, it is always of a pop culture ornament we talking about, not an universally recognized piece of art.

In this case, judging from the total height and the length of the dragonslayer, the scale would be around 1/7. Considering this and the fact that the old 1/6(?) 2010 Guts was about 65,000 JPY, I expected a price around 85,000 JPY. This would be a more consistent price. The message about the payment plan worried me, 120,000 JPY would be really too much. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

andrewdsz said:
Too bad the fan base is so small they can at most release 200 pieces even on the big project. I'm also knowing that the value will probably decrease over the years due to even further dropping on berserk fan base numbers if no new manga is coming out.

The number of pieces produced for each model has decreased over time, but not because the fan base got smaller. It's decreased because the prices kept going up and people weren't willing or able to put that much money into Berserk statues. It's not that there's less than 200 Berserk fans out there, it's that there's less than 200 fans willing to put $1000+ into a statue. And that's not to mention AOW's dearth of creativity and disputable business practices.

Aazealh said:
The number of pieces produced for each model has decreased over time, but not because the fan base got smaller. It's decreased because the prices kept going up and people weren't willing or able to put that much money into Berserk statues. It's not that there's less than 200 Berserk fans out there, it's that there's less than 200 fans willing to put $1000+ into a statue. And that's not to mention AOW's dearth of creativity and disputable business practices.

I agree. This notion that Berserk is cult and relatively unknown is a little far fetched. In other collectibles forums that I participate, I've seen many people say they love Berserk, but AoW was just too expensive for them. If AoW made statues with better prices ( and better head sculpts) I feel that, many more fans would start collecting these sort of things.
If they have to sell 50 units at $1000 , and justify their price on production costs, then they`re not cost effective.

I just posted some pictures of my collection on another big (brazilian) forum, and lots of people came up with that point, that they love the series, but don`t feel the prices are justified.

Plus, they keep redoing pretty much the same 3 - 4 characters, 20, 30 times. Many times with similar poses and sculpts.

(and c'mon ? dragon slayer soft toy for $300? )

Agree with Aaz.

Plus the quality of their sculpts (faces in particular like recently released Nosferatu 2013, Void, Guts & Casca and so forth) are not good considering the price you're expected to pay for such statues.

Price update on their site -

We are able to offer two installment plans for this item. (Price about 40,000 JPY/60,000 JPY for every payment. Except the shipping cost. Please kindly consider the estimate amount you have to pay before your pre-order)
Plan 1:
First Payment: Immediate payment after your pre-order (November)
Second Payment: 25 days after your pre-order (December)
Third Payment: 65 days after your pre-order (January)
Forth Payment: shipping and handling cost in February

Plan 2:
Fist Payment: Immediate payment after your pre-order (November)
Second Payment: 25 days after your pre-order (December)
Third Payment: shipping and handling cost in February

To do the statues in mass quantity the quality will get compromised as a matter of fact. Whoever ownes the 20th anni and the new sk white boned ver. Should realized that the paint job and details are crazy nuuts. Sideshow/hot toys are far far away at a sub-par level when it comes to the details/paints.

andrewdsz said:
To do the statues in mass quantity the quality will get compromised as a matter of fact. Whoever ownes the 20th anni and the new sk white boned ver. Should realized that the paint job and details are crazy nuuts. Sideshow/hot toys are far far away at a sub-par level when it comes to the details/paints.

Well, I don't own Hot toys , because they don't fit my goals, but I really don't think AoW is superior in any way to Sideshow and Hot Toys, this is just a matter of opinion , however ,

For comparison, this dragonborn statue is 16'' , limited to 500 units, has real fur, amazing sculpt and paintjob , and costs $329
http://www.gamingheads.com/images/stories/products/ESKDBX/vertical_18.jpg

For hot toys , just check captain harlock, amazing piece.. And Loki ... Anyway , just using them for argument`s sake
http://1up-geek.com/wp-content/plugins/doptg/uploads/HB66k8qA7qa5t4B6KMrB5QDMHMPnktmhOnzw9w1cnFtC4AX6SQeyxpbAqB19GC96A.jpg

get urself a real sideshow piece and do some closeups, especially where the skin meets the other parts, you gonna see what i mean. And i had a sideshow spiderman face peeling off due to normal inner room tube lights.

STOP looking at the webside stock pictures, they are NOT the same as the real products.. ... that's why u sometimes see some sideshow AP (artist proof) ver. selling for doubles or more.

I'm sorry but I disagree, it is not always so.

I have a few days at home this: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=71271

the ultimate piece.

AoW has also minor differences between the prototype and the final version :) at least in earlier versions. BTW price is outrageous, NOT for me. Yes I'm a fan berserker but also collect a few other anime series and movie, never not going to pay such an exorbitant sum :(

Sankari, if I can ask: How many and which AOW statues do you own? and Sideshow's or other "brand"?
I ask this because is really impossible not noticing the difference on the paint jobs and attention to detail.
My opinion is based on a direct comparison, I also own some Sideshow Premium Format and other statues from different companies.

That dragonborn is a Gaming Heads's product and is limited to 1500 (500 exclusive + 1000 regular). That pic is the prototype, here a photo of the actual product:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/10331884635_694e899433_b.jpg
still a very good statue for the price but the AOWs are better.

I continue to say that a doll cannot be compare to a statue, different worlds.

@sovel
sure, there will be some exceptions.
Lord of Darkness Premium Format is a wonderfull piece but actually it has not a complex and detailed paint job. It's all red. :ganishka:
you say it right, AOW also has minor differences from prototype. This is acceptable.

In terms of quality the AOWs are far superior than any other statue I own or I have ever seen in person. Then we can discuss about their crazy prices and lack of likeness and creativity and I agree with Aazealh.

This is a bit off-topic but I promise it will be the last time. :guts:

120 000 yen for this? they must be out of their minds. At first I read 40 000 JPY / 60 000 JPY for the exclusive, and that would have been way better.

I got the SS Deadpool EX PF version, and the paintjob + sculpt is easily as good as most AoW works (it's also gigantic, at 50cm), and I paid a total of 390$. If that's not enough, I bought this Ryu kit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md-6UmIt83Y) completely painted+assembled+light-up fireball and it's absolutely stunning. This was pretty much a commission piece, and even that was alot cheaper than buying an AoW product.

Doesn't matter how you slice it, AoW products are ridiculously overpriced - add to that the crazy customs fees (230$ on my 20th ver), and you got something that's almost not worth owning.

I am glad that I don't feel the need to buy AoW products anymore, because they are the death of me. I need to get to japan and buy some of the insane resin kits that are being produced (Tonboya + Headlong <3 ).

Guts have 17cm height while crouching like that? This is a 1/6 or 1/7 model then. Guts&casca is 1/10 scale while only 12cm height, this model is significantly bigger than 1/10 for sure woo hoo :ubik:

The paint is about the same application of 20th anniversary last ver, wonderful color choice and a must buy piece. I wish the price is not 120000... ...

Nevertheless I'm in.

Akebobo

my god... it's full of pants
I've got a pretty wide array of statues from Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Gaming Headz, Kotobukiya... the paint apps are not always bad, but they can be inconsistent and it's generally the luck of the draw as to weather or not you get a good one. I only have one AoW statue that I have a paint problem with, Guts and Farnese. I would say the quality is consistently better than more reasonably priced manufacturers.

Having said that, I like this statue, I liked the last human form Zodd, I just can't afford them. I think I'm done with AoW.

Zoddit said:
Sankari, if I can ask: How many and which AOW statues do you own? and Sideshow's or other "brand"?
I ask this because is really impossible not noticing the difference on the paint jobs and attention to detail.
My opinion is based on a direct comparison, I also own some Sideshow Premium Format and other statues from different companies.

That dragonborn is a Gaming Heads's product and is limited to 1500 (500 exclusive + 1000 regular). That pic is the prototype, here a photo of the actual product:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/10331884635_694e899433_b.jpg
still a very good statue for the price but the AOWs are better.

I continue to say that a doll cannot be compare to a statue, different worlds.

@sovel
sure, there will be some exceptions.
Lord of Darkness Premium Format is a wonderfull piece but actually it has not a complex and detailed paint job. It's all red. :ganishka:
you say it right, AOW also has minor differences from prototype. This is acceptable.

In terms of quality the AOWs are far superior than any other statue I own or I have ever seen in person. Then we can discuss about their crazy prices and lack of likeness and creativity and I agree with Aazealh.

This is a bit off-topic but I promise it will be the last time. :guts:

I don't own a lot of AOW's myself (Cept the Griffith on horse and a few smaller ones) but I do collect other statues and the main reason I find it hard to collect the AOW statues are both the price + the size.

When Sideshow/kotobukiya/Hot Toys, and many other companies can put out statues that are 1/4 scale or even larger you can't honestly tell me AOW's prices don't seem to be a tad on the high end side for what you get.

The paint jobs? From the ones I have the paint jobs are nothing special.

All companies have their share of good/bad pieces and good/bad paint apps on the statues (IE sideshow with their HORRIBLE pain job that came on the Rogue statue a while back with her googly eyes) but they also have their stand outs.

Conan
Patient Zero
Arthas (look at the detail of this one).
Overhthrown
Sauron
X-men dio (the first one with colossus)
etc.

Then you have their upcoming pieces like the new Conan Fury of the Beast:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/conan-conan-the-barbarian-fury-of-the-beast-sideshow-collectibles-2000491/

Queen of the damned:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/court-of-the-dead-queen-of-the-dead-sideshow-collectibles-400242/

Now compare those to art of war,
http://www.art-of-war.co.jp/english/items/photos.php?gid=519

I'm not saying AoW statues are bad (I'd very much like to collect more, especially the Guts and Slan/femto) but for the price they charge plus the small scale, it just seems a bit unreasonable.

I do not know what factory AOW uses or what makes their cost so high, but either they are the ones getting ripped off or they are paying their artist a lot more money then sideshow and other companies.

Please allow me a very last off-topic reply . Of course mine is a generic opinion, there will be exceptions.

@Stiler
Maybe it’s a matter of taste, we can discuss again when you own/see in person a 20th ann. or 1/6 Guts , a 1/10 Skull Knight or Guts on horse. I own 5 Sideshow PFs and 4 polystone statues from their Lord of the Rings line up. Then various other resin statues by square enix, gentle giant, kaitendoh etc. Imho, among them, the only one which can compete with an AOW is “The Spirit Collection of Inoue Takehiko Vol.1 – Musashi” by TK Holdings… :ubik:

really guys, you can choose not to buy AOW’s statues for several reasons as I often do: (over)prices, dimensions, likeness, boring poses etc. You can think it isn't worth the hassle and I agree with you in most cases, like the 1/15 projects… :schierke:
However if you don't see any difference of quality between AOW's and Sideshow's manufacturing, I don't understand how you can buy statues from AOW for those price tags… If you feel the same watching a 20th ann. Guts and a whatever Sideshow PF... I agree, you should quit with AOW, you would save a lot of money.

To get back on topic, It seems that they are temporizing too much with the official price as if they are afraid of possible customer reactions or want to taste their opinion first, trying to maximize the profits. Sadly I think they’ll overprice this new statue more than ever and if the price will be very close to 120,000 JPY as it seems for the exclusive, maybe this is one of the cases where it isn't worth buying. :judo:

The price is not much higher considered what I've been paid. I currently owned 20th anni EURO ver. And last ver.

You guys wanna know how much the last ver. Actually costs in USD? Back in the days the conversion rate is much much lower, more like 1:78 or something, so after all the bank fees/ EMS shippings I paid 1320 for the Last ver. And 1350$ for the EURO. Shipping from Europe is even more extreme than from JPN for some reason. For this piece because of the weak JPN yen conversion I probably only need to pay 1400$ USD. Not bad at all.

Yes I own 3 AOW pieces that are around the same price ranges as tantacle ship as a matter of fact, so I won't complain over a 100 dollar price increase.

The most crazy piece I think is zodd& wyald. I believe incantation has one and it costs him 600$ on shipping from JPN to USA if I'm not mistaken.

The skull knight weather boned ver. is another 1300$ statue cause it is at the weak yen era. Those statues are of particular harder to find situation.

Sorry andrewdsz, I don’t know if you are trying to convince yourself or simply you are quite rich. If I were AOW and read your reply, I’d set the price to 150,000…
Sure, at this rate when probably next year they present a Berserk 25th anniversary statue, we end up with 200,000 JPY :ganishka:

Aazealh said:

Zoddit said:
However if you don't see any difference of quality between AOW's and Sideshow's manufacturing, I don't understand how you can buy statues from AOW for those price tags… If you feel the same watching a 20th ann. Guts and a whatever Sideshow PF... I agree, you should quit with AOW, you would save a lot of money.

Ok that´s right :guts:

I'm not saying that Sideshow or others are better ... but they are a better choice in price / quality / scale. AoW and their final products are very good but ... what we have said.

BTW 1500 USD it is more than a my paycheck: DDD when I see the color I have to admit, it's really nice, without debate.

i totally agree, their products are way too over priced, i have other statues from tsume for example and their painting and sculpt is awsome something that cant be said from aow always, besides i dont think the paintng quality is the reason for their exsesive prices, because their unpainted kits are also way too overpriced

Top Bottom