[AOW] Berserk - The Tentacle Ship 2013

Hubalo- I personally love it I have been looking forward to this piece for a while and it looks so much better in person. The way he is holding onto the hat gives him a sense of presence to me, I also love this at any angle.

Sensui- the standard version is 33 pieces and the exclusive is 77 yet I could not get my hands on that dog... DAFUQ!!

sensui said:
krzykoop/directdk, thanks for sharing. It looks like it came out very well. None of you got the exclusive? Didn't see the Berserk wolf. :guts:

Hahaha, yeah I got the exclusive. Here are pictures of it:

nd6kENTl.jpg

zSmTiTWl.jpg

The wolf is super tiny. I can post a few comparison shots of it next to older AOW statues. It looks like a puppy next to most of the 1/10 AOW statues. And as you can see by the texture of my desk, the wolf is super small.

As for Guts, he is smaller than you guys might expect. I would say he's 1/8 scale. The base is pretty much half the height. The statue looks FANTASTIC from the side. But I'm not crazy about the front view. The base just looks a bit too random/bulky from the front cuz you have no context of what Guts is standing on. But 45 degrees / profile shot, it looks stellar. Maybe one day, I'll have it customized and have him rotated so the pirate face is also showing forward (although it'll make it difficult since Guts's hand won't have anything to rest on.

The paint job is as good as all the recent Berserker statues. The cape is awesome. The eyes are painted a much brighter / solid red than before, so it pops.

Overall, I think the statue is good, but I'm still not entirely thrilled about the base. Also, it's needlessly tall so it can't fit in most display cases (which is always troublesome).

Thanks for the pics and awesome feedback DirectDK, can't wait to open mine up tonight....just saw it come through the door and it says I have a cool #(007) so I'm happy. That wolf looks mighty fine for being so tiny IMO from your pics. I was never that thrilled with the base either but yeah the pics of Guts perching looks great thus far.

EDIT:

Alright I dun shoot pictures these days so I'll pass and let others do this statue justice. I'm glad DirectDK talked down the size for me since it feels to me Guts is a pretty decent size (and the whole thing is very large with him on the Tentacle ship base). The Guts is slightly bigger than the headlong kit and with the cape in the wind look, it is much larger. In terms of the details, AOW didn't skimp and it's their usual goodness...I am especially impressed with the details of the blood mixed with mud on the sword. Overall a very well done statue and the packaging seems bomb-proof as usual from AOW. The exclusive wolf is small but it isn't any smaller scale wise than the usualy add ons (Daiba, Fire Dragon, metal flail thing, demon soldier etc). Pricey but still nothing compared to what I was willing to shell out for the headlong back then. Pretty happy with this one.. :beast: :guts:

DirectDK said:
Overall, I think the statue is good, but I'm still not entirely thrilled about the base. Also, it's needlessly tall so it can't fit in most display cases (which is always troublesome).

I think this is the biggest issue with some AoW pieces. They are terrible at creating certain poses while keeping convenience's sake in mind. I mean, the Kurono Gantz figure is 70+ cm's tall, and the only reason is because he's pointing his sword straight up in the air. AoW should take some liberties with certain poses, because sometimes it's just a huge waste of space.

Tentacle ship looks great though, AoW paint jobs have to be one of the best in the business.

Congrats on picking this up guys, it does look pretty good in person compared to AOW's pictures. Hope there aren't re-paints and it stays truly limited/ exclusive.

Liad said:
I think this is the biggest issue with some AoW pieces. They are terrible at creating certain poses while keeping convenience's sake in mind. I mean, the Kurono Gantz figure is 70+ cm's tall, and the only reason is because he's pointing his sword straight up in the air. AoW should take some liberties with certain poses, because sometimes it's just a huge waste of space.

I understand what you and directDK are saying but I disagree because its not like the height is hidden when the statue is announced so you know its going to be x inches tall. Again I understand what DK said about it not fitting is most display cases however there are certainly bigger/ heavier and if you can find space for them then I am sure you can find space for others and if not you don't have to buy? I know me personally I wanted zodd/wylad and decided against it because of size/weight. I have grown very fond of 1/10 scale and like the continuity between my statues being that size in relevance to each other but having select bigger ones makes them stand out amongst a sea of statues and can be a good thing. As for the base I like that moment in the story and am happy its on my shelf now, some people look at it as a waste that you can't see the face of the base from the front but I know its there and when a few people came over and seen him they were intrigued by it and wanted to see/know more. I don't have half as many statues as DK and maybe I will come to mirror his view as time goes on but for now I have no complaints.

krzykoopa said:
I understand what you and directDK are saying but I disagree because its not like the height is hidden when the statue is announced so you know its going to be x inches tall. Again I understand what DK said about it not fitting is most display cases however there are certainly bigger/ heavier and if you can find space for them then I am sure you can find space for others and if not you don't have to buy? I know me personally I wanted zodd/wylad and decided against it because of size/weight. I have grown very fond of 1/10 scale and like the continuity between my statues being that size in relevance to each other but having select bigger ones makes them stand out amongst a sea of statues and can be a good thing. As for the base I like that moment in the story and am happy its on my shelf now, some people look at it as a waste that you can't see the face of the base from the front but I know its there and when a few people came over and seen him they were intrigued by it and wanted to see/know more. I don't have half as many statues as DK and maybe I will come to mirror his view as time goes on but for now I have no complaints.

Those are totally valid points, but my issue is that in many cases it's just a pointy sword, not a massive sculpt such as Wyald/Zodd. For example, The Kurono Statue has a sword that's maybe 1 cm in diameter (if that), and that alone is 30 cm straight up, so it utilizes space horribly. If they made the pose so that Kurono is preparing for a lunge, you have volume in horizontal lengths, so you can turn the statue to fit better. 20th does this very well, but that single sword alone can stop you from placing maybe 3-4 additional figures, because it creates so much dead space around it.

B

bakabanana

I'm really interested to know if he looks good with the alternate head (without helmet) too? Could anyone who has the statue upload a picture or two?

did someone else realized that the blade in the tentacle ship statue is bigger compared to guts body than the blade in the twenty aniv.??

I couldn't reserve the tentacle ship..
ANd now It has a great look...
But Don't worry people!!
AOW says that they have a plan to release REPAINTED VER. Yeah~~~~!!!!
They'll let me know when AOW are ready..

It just takes time

hubalo said:
OH MY!!!! SO SORRY MEN!! WAS IT TOO MUCH THE DAMAGE???? :judo:

all black mantle is "cast off" from body!
I pay with paypal and declere total real prise for custom servise...
Now i waiting Aow answer.

I really did not like the base at all. The hound is a nice extra. But the height feels like cheating, they charged premium price for a statue which is not really that big.

Sankari said:
I really did not like the base at all. The hound is a nice extra. But the height feels like cheating, they charged premium price for a statue which is not really that big.

well with all respect i dissagree with you, i know its not a 1/6 statue its more like 1/8 but there are two objects here , guts and the base, combined they make a pretty big statue its 28 cm aprox( not considering the cape and the sword) and the 20 aniversary is 30 cm tall aprox, its exactly like for example skull knight on horse its a 1/10 statue but there are two objects there making it a big statue altogh its only 1/10, of course all this considering that they overprice ALL their statues , about the base im not crazy either but overall i really liked the statue, grreat painting as always.

roskus said:
all black mantle is "cast off" from body!
I pay with paypal and declere total real prise for custom servise...
Now i waiting Aow answer.

i really hope you can solve this, let us know what was AOW response.

:sad: I'm sorry to hear and see that, roskus. Che sfortuna! (what a bad luck!) I'm from Italy too (I see the sheet in the pic) and we are almost in the same boat... mine also has arrived damaged. Fortunately, if we can talk of fortune in such case, is only a piece of the mantle that has broke away.
Damn, I knew that I should have kept my mouth shut above, regarding the shipping service... ahahahah :judo:

hubalo said:
did someone else realized that the blade in the tentacle ship statue is bigger compared to guts body than the blade in the twenty aniv.??

IMO this statue is near 1/7 scale maybe a bit larger. The body and the head w/out helmet appear slightly smaller than 2010 1/6. I think the Dragon Slayer is as it should be, gigantic and disproportioned! Although, in this case the blade is the same exact size of the 2010's one, now this is strange...

I have always thought of 20th DS as the weak point of that masterpiece. It has the same width for its entire length, it appears too thin compared to the whole scale of the statue.

Hopefully AOW will do something for you roskus......as bad as that seems it seems like a very clean break that's gluable without much difficulties. I inspected the heck out of that cape since when I opened the figure my heart skipped a beat seeing it......thinking that looks so fragile but the way AOW designed it....seems very sturdy ala 1/6 Guts 2010. Good luck with the situation regardless.

I'm not going to be back in USA for another 20 days f my life. The bad news just put my heart on the line worries about the stupid cape being intact in one piece.... ...

Looks good, but I'm glad I passed on it. 20th and 2010 Guts will have to do for me, but this does make me want to get someone to paint up my headlong kit.

Congrats to those who got it and sorry to see the broken one. As overpriced as AoW is, their packaging is usually rock solid.

That's unfortunate to see and read about, roskus and Zoddit. Let us know how it's resolved? As sensui said, it looks like a clean break so gluing it back on is one option for sure.

Top Bottom