[ART OF WAR] Griffith 2011 Version

Received a newsletter over the weekend.

main_item.jpg

■□■ Griffith 2011 Ver. ■□■ 

We are proud to introduce you to our latest project, “Griffith 2011 Ver.”.

Priority pre-orders will start at 12:00 p.m., October 27 (Thu) (for loyal customers only).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This is Art of War's first Griffith bust, 1:6 scale. There are two versions.

We believe our complex paint job will allow you to enjoy different images of Griffith.

■ Code No. 251 Griffith 2011 Ver.- Exclusive Version 1 (Red Mantle)
Limited to 50 pieces

【Armor】 Silver + Purple gradation

【Mantle】 Inside: Dark red/ Outside: White with dust effects

Unit price: 40,000 Yen (tax excluded) (about US$ 524/ €377)
Attachment: Flag of the Band of the Hawks (H: 36cm) (approx.), serial number nameplate.

*Installment Plan*
You are also able to settle the payment on an installment plan (2 installments (20,000 Yen x 2) + shipping cost).

■ Code No. 252 Griffith 2011 Ver.- Exclusive Version 2 (Blue Mantle)
Limited to 100 pieces

【Armor】 Silver + Blue gradation

【Mantle】 Inside: Dark blue/ Outside: White + Blue

Unit price: 38,000 Yen (tax excluded) (about US$ 497/ €358)
Attachment: Serial number nameplate (Please note: This version does not include the flag.)

*Installment Plan*
You are also able to settle the payment on an installment plan (2 installments (19,000 Yen x 2) + shipping cost).

Size: 22cm (W) x 35.5cm (H) x 22cm (D) (1:6 scale/ base included)
Griffith size: 12.5cm (H) (head to body) *The visor is moveable.
Material: Polystone, metal, and wood (the sword)
Estimated release time: the end of January- February, 2012

Priority pre-orders will start at 12:00 p.m., October 27 (Thu) (Japanese time).

Who's buying this!?

I really like the brushed purple version, however I feel like they might as well have made the entire statue instead of just a bust. Its practically complete, just missing his legs.

I was really interesting in but griffith's size is too small (just 12,5 cm)!

THe red limited version looks great! The painting job looks amazing but there is a such big difference between AOW prototype and the real paint job!

Well, for the moment, I don t know if I ll buy it or not...

I was pretty pissed when I got this email. I mean, $500+ for half of a 1/6 statue... If you're going to make a bust, make it at least 1/4 scale. Plus, they probably used some of the parts from the previous 1/6 Griffith statue too. I'm sure that breastplate, shoulder guard, and all that are exactly the same. They just raised the arms up and did a new cape. It's cheating.

Why AOW? WHY??? I thought we all told you how much we crave new characters. And now we're getting a rehashed Griffith, with no legs, at $500+. That is just ridiculous.

DirectDK said:
Plus, they probably used some of the parts from the previous 1/6 Griffith statue too. I'm sure that breastplate, shoulder guard, and all that are exactly the same. They just raised the arms up and did a new cape.
That's what I thought when I woke up to that email.

Gotta say.....that is pretty unworthy of the price tag.....I feel for the ones that are collecting all AOW (I know there are some around =P)....Come on AOW, show the next big Guts project (that I've already heard some rumors about =D).

sensui said:
Gotta say.....that is pretty unworthy of the price tag.....I feel for the ones that are collecting all AOW (I know there are some around =P).

IncantatioN said:
Fortunately for my wallet and unfortunately for AOW, I'm going to pass on this one.

I'm having that very dilemma. To date, I own everything (not all variants, but every statue) that AOW has put out, with the exception of the 1/2 Guts Arm. Not buying this one will break my collection, but I feel like I'm being robbed of my money if I buy this one. I mean seriously, it's like the same 1/6 Griffith statue!!!

DirectDK said:
To date, I own everything (not all variants, but every statue) that AOW has put out, with the exception of the 1/2 Guts Arm. Not buying this one will break my collection, but I feel like I'm being robbed of my money if I buy this one. I mean seriously, it's like the same 1/6 Griffith statue!!!

I'm 100% in the same boat as you. I don't want to have in the back of my mind in a few years that I'm one behind because of not getting it, but I'm really not feeling this one.

My first reaction to this was, holy shit, that base looks just like the one that came with that horribly made vampire hunter d figure from a while back (http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Hunter-D-7-Figure/dp/B0014JBBZE/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319509029&sr=1-3), except this one is solid resin and would cost about $200 by itself if AOW decided not to attach the Griffith to it. Plus, how is that base berserk-y?

I almost feel like they're being spiteful by not giving him legs. It's like they're thinking, "People don't want to spend 65-90,000 yen per statue? Fine. Here's one that's 40,000. But you're not getting legs! And we're gonna design it in a way where you can't sit it by itself, so you have to use that stock column pillar as a base. Fuck you, customers!"

This might be a little preemptive but, that flag, or wavy piece of white resin is 14 inches. What exactly are you supposed to do with that, given the fact there doesn't appear to be anywhere it fits into on the statue?

It's a shame because they didn't release any 100% newly molded statues this year. It's all be repaints and that Skully on the horse that was just an upgraded version of the one from 3 years ago. It's like they took they raised right arm concept that they did with that and applied it to this Griffith.

Nirvana said:
It's a shame because they didn't release any 100% newly molded statues this year. It's all be repaints and that Skully on the horse that was just an upgraded version of the one from 3 years ago. It's like they took they raised right arm concept that they did with that and applied it to this Griffith.
True, instead they did release new silver-wear though. It'll take a lot to get them to make statues of other characters because Serpico didn't do well for them. I'd rather see them complete their proposed projects first before getting into re-paints (http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11902.msg189437#msg189437).

DirectDK said:
I'm having that very dilemma. To date, I own everything (not all variants, but every statue) that AOW has put out, with the exception of the 1/2 Guts Arm. Not buying this one will break my collection, but I feel like I'm being robbed of my money if I buy this one. I mean seriously, it's like the same 1/6 Griffith statue!!!

Same boat my friend. I even went ahead and bout the arm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Might or might not change minds around here, but AOW's told me they'll be sending other emails with picture comparisons between this product and their previous Griffith one. Apparently the painting is much better on this model. I'll let you guys be the judges of that when we get to see better shots.

Nirvana said:
I'm 100% in the same boat as you. I don't want to have in the back of my mind in a few years that I'm one behind because of not getting it, but I'm really not feeling this one.

I understand your concern (all of you guys), I truly do. But I think at some point you have to learn to be content with "only" having the best stuff, what's actually worth it, and not every single thing ever produced. I think otherwise it'll only lead to bitterness, especially if you're unhappy with the product(s) you buy. I mean that's common sense beyond the trap that "completionism" is, and when you put several hardcore collectors together it makes more of a difference than some might believe IMHO. As they say: vote with your wallets.

Aazealh said:
Might or might not change minds around here, but AOW's told me they'll be sending other emails with picture comparisons between this product and their previous Griffith one. Apparently the painting is much better on this model. I'll let you guys be the judges of that when we get to see better shots.

Interesting. I will wait to see. Thanks for the heads up.

Aazealh said:
I understand your concern (all of you guys), I truly do. But I think at some point you have to learn to be content with "only" having the best stuff, what's actually worth it, and not every single thing ever produced. I think otherwise it'll only lead to bitterness, especially if you're unhappy with the product(s) you buy. I mean that's common sense beyond the trap that "completionism" is, and when you put several hardcore collectors together it makes more of a difference than some might believe IMHO. As they say: vote with your wallets.

It's a tricky thing, no doubt. Logically, it would make no sense to buy it, but yes, the "collector's" gene kicks in and it makes it tough to decide. For me, I think I've decided not to buy it... yet. Even though there are only 50 of each, I'm going to wait. Perhaps, these will be so unpopular that they will go for cheaper on auction, or even during one of AOW's random sales they have down the line.

And just saying, for almost the same price, you could get THIS.

Dr.Legato

Art of War Supporter
Maiku said:
*yawns* boring.

Will still buy of course. :ganishka:

Lolwhy :???:

I'm skipping this for sure, its a 1/6 Griffith statue with no legs, not even a proper bust statue... And at this price I dont even have to think twice about it :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
I agree with this view. It's also why I'm holding back on purchasing some statues myself. Lucky for me, the cost plays a major deterrent on old school (out of circulation) statues and I land up using that as an excuse when I pass something up haha! But yeah, at the back of my mind I'm thinking the same thing you mention. I, as a fairly noob collector, personally find it hard to say 'No'. I reckon it's prolly harder for (old school) completionist collectors.

As Aaz indicated, AOW sent a newsletter a few hours ago with this (I've left out the other specifics of the newsletter that pertain to price and dimensions, etc.) -

image002.jpg

This 1:6 scale Griffith bust is more dynamic and powerful in comparison to our previous Griffith statues. The detail of the sculpture and paint application on this project is fantastic. For instance, we used different colors to give the mantle delicate effects of light and shade.

NewImage1.jpg

Compared to our previous Griffith statues, we used subtle gradations of color to bring out the luster of Griffith’s armor.

image004.jpg

image007.jpg

You can see how Griffith's hair is well-sculpted. For the exclusive version 1, we added subtle dust effects to the mantle and armor in order to make it feel authentic.

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image014.jpg

image019.jpg

image021.jpg

image023.jpg

DirectDK said:
Interesting. I will wait to see. Thanks for the heads up.

It's a tricky thing, no doubt. Logically, it would make no sense to buy it, but yes, the "collector's" gene kicks in and it makes it tough to decide. For me, I think I've decided not to buy it... yet. Even though there are only 50 of each, I'm going to wait. Perhaps, these will be so unpopular that they will go for cheaper on auction, or even during one of AOW's random sales they have down the line.

And just saying, for almost the same price, you could get THIS.

Can we get the breastplate?

Aazealh said:

Gotta agree there. I'm coming (noob @ skullknight still) from 2 years of very fast collecting (almost all the top lines of the shonen series I love like One Piece, Dragon Ball, and others) operating under the completionist mentality.....I got figures all over the house now and I find them distracting. I'm ending up packing away (painful and annoying) a lot of the smaller things and stuff that just pale in comparison to works of art of AOW. Bottom line, no matter how much space you got (assuming money not the subject matter of concern), you're going to run out so the completionist mentality is really going to hurt you down the line no matter what. Just gotta pick what you like.....I realize for AOW it's easier (in terms of space, not money) since there isn't that many different types of sculpts throughout the years compared to all the lines the main shonens get, but sooner or later completionists will find their living space swarmed with this stuff and then the decision of whether to continue collecting or storing away figures is going to come into play. Getting rid of that mentality I gotta say....sooner the better.....it is such a relief to feel like I don't have to collect certain lesser quality lines anymore....I'm still battling the completionist mentality daily though....it is hard to get away from.

Aazealh said:

Sadly my OCD won't let me skip it. It is odd because I collect several other lines. Berserk is the only one where I am a completest. There is also an element of keeping up with Derek as best I can. :p Part of me does want to sell off half of my collection as I am dangerously low on space.

IncantatioN said:
As Aaz indicated, AOW sent a newsletter a few hours ago with this (I've left out the other specifics of the newsletter that pertain to price and dimensions, etc.) -

Well, admittedly, the paint job is more vibrant, but I'm a bit of a purist so I'm not sure how I feel about the purple and blue tinting they are doing. For previous MF Griffiths, I always went with the normal editions because I preferred the silver over the metallic blue ones. I even went through the whole process of buying 2 MF Griffiths on Horse, 1 normal and 1 limited. I got the limited one just for :rakshas: then sold the Griff.

And I gotta say, if AOW is showing all the shortcomings of the previous Griffith statue by comparing it to this new one... is that really the best way to do business? I did notice, the hair on the first 1/6 Griffith wasn't that great (the hair they have done for every Griffith statue has always been lacking), why not get it right the first time?

And as Legato said, this isn't even a proper bust statue. That pillar just looks too random and last minute.

If the price point on this statue was 25,000 yen (even $300 is robbery), I'd buy it. But at 40,000 yen... outrageous!

Maiku said:
There is also an element of keeping up with Derek as best I can. :p

BRINGGG IT!!! :daiba: Hehehe, but seriously though, your AOW collection has already surpassed mine. I don't see why you don't get into the kit game too. The guy who did your bone skullknight has crazzzaayy skills!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
sensui said:
Getting rid of that mentality I gotta say....sooner the better.....it is such a relief to feel like I don't have to collect certain lesser quality lines anymore....I'm still battling the completionist mentality daily though....it is hard to get away from.
Maiku said:
Sadly my OCD won't let me skip it. It is odd because I collect several other lines. Berserk is the only one where I am a completest. There is also an element of keeping up with Derek as best I can. :p Part of me does want to sell off half of my collection as I am dangerously low on space.

Yeah honestly I totally understand. Even though I'm nowhere near you guys as far as statue collecting goes, I've got my own bouts of "perfectionism" and so it's very easy for me to see how that can grab you in. I just get frustrated sometimes because I feel like the community is being taken advantage of through its members' passion.

DirectDK said:
I'm a bit of a purist so I'm not sure how I feel about the purple and blue tinting they are doing. For previous MF Griffiths, I always went with the normal editions because I preferred the silver over the metallic blue ones.

That's my man!! I'm so proud. :casca:

DirectDK said:
And I gotta say, if AOW is showing all the shortcomings of the previous Griffith statue by comparing it to this new one... is that really the best way to do business? I did notice, the hair on the first 1/6 Griffith wasn't that great (the hair they have done for every Griffith statue has always been lacking), why not get it right the first time?

Wise words. Maybe we'll see some change with the movie's release? I'd like to see more varied collectibles being released by various companies once more... Competition always benefits the customer.

DirectDK said:
BRINGGG IT!!! :daiba: Hehehe, but seriously though, your AOW collection has already surpassed mine. I don't see why you don't get into the kit game too. The guy who did your bone skullknight has crazzzaayy skills!

Oh consider it brought!! :badbone: I want to get more kits. I love the painter I used but he has a six month backlog. (He won't even take on work if he hasn't painted for you before!) I may need to find another.

Top Bottom