At what point would you stop reading?

S

smoke

What kind of horrible turn would Berserk have to take in order for you to put it down for good? Or have you invested so much time into it that you'd have to force yourself to know the conclusion?

I've been kind of dissatisfied with the recent volumes. That's not to say they aren't good, I just don't like how the series feels like it's slowing down and Guts is repeatedly fighting big monsters for several episodes at a time. I mean, how long has the party been trying to get a ship? If this trend continues, it will be fine, I guess. But if the series moves even further in this direction, i.e. if Guts fighting the same monster for a volume or two becomes the norm, then I will stop reading Berserk. I can only watch him fight Makara for so long, you know? I doubt Miura will take the series there, but I don't think it's an impossibility. (This probably came across as me bashing the newer volumes, but I'm really not.)

So, at what point would ask the rhetorical "wtf" and finally put down this long-cherished manga?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm staying with Berserk to the bloody end. I trust Miura to continue to deliver great storytelling and interesting plotlines. I've seen a lot of people saying that the recent volumes are lacking something, but I haven't felt that way at all. I'm not deluding myself into thinking that the series is still great, because the fact is, I do think it's as good as it has been in the past, if not more so. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, I'm merely stating my own. So yeah, bring it on Miura, because I can't get enough of it! :badbone:

If he was ever going to screw anything up, it would've been the entire flashback sequence, IMO. The fact that he delivered some great sequences (action and emotional) and seamlessly tied it to the present means that he'll never have a ' horrible turn' ever, in my opinion. :miura:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in it for life at this point, or until it's done: whichever comes first :serpico:

I suppose there have been moments since following the series episode by episode where I was a little dissapointed, but never for a long period of time. Miura has always been able to suprise me and turn whatever inklings of doubt I had into something truly awesome. For example, when Schierke was first introduced, I was pretty damned vocal on these forums about my displeasure with her. That all changed with the introduction of Flora and the further development of the Berserk universe. And after the events at Enoch, and her relationship with Guts, it's difficult to NOT like her in my opinion.

So yeah, if your faith is dwindling, just keep reading. You may just change your mind.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
smoke said:
What kind of horrible turn would Berserk have to take in order for you to put it down for good? Or have you invested so much time into it that you'd have to force yourself to know the conclusion?

My biggest regret is that I haven't invested enough time into it. I understand the current storyline might seem like it is dragged out but its been giving me more time to catch up on older episodes and learn more about the Berserk world. I hope that this manga goes on for another 20 years because Berserk is the most interesting story I have ever come across. I feel bad that I don't keep up with current episode discussions and I am trying to make better use of my time. (Berserk > school)  :guts:
I feel the same way about this matter as Rhombaad.

Rhombaad said:
I'm staying with Berserk to the bloody end.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
I'm also sticking to Berserk until the bloody end.  Sure, I'd be disappointed and put off if major changes were made (aka turning Berserk into something like DBZ or the like), but after I start reading something I have to finish it.  But I have faith in Miura's ability to keep the storyline going and include everything that we've come to know and love in the series. 

So come hell or highwater I'm here to stay.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
smoke said:

I'll read Berserk to the end and I'll still be a fan even once it's ended. The probability of finding me in 10 years still here on SK.net answering the same questions like I did 2 years ago is pretty high.

smoke said:
I've been kind of dissatisfied with the recent volumes. That's not to say they aren't good, I just don't like how the series feels like it's slowing down and Guts is repeatedly fighting big monsters for several episode at a time. I mean, how long has the party been trying to get a ship?

I think that's because you lack some global vision on the series. I don't mean that as an insult either, especially since a lot of people do. How long has the party been trying to get a ship? Do you really want to know? Since volume 22. In volume 22, Guts, Puck and Casca (what a party) started their journey to Elfhelm. And people thought they'd arrive by volume 23. You feel like the series is slowing down? Re-read volume 18 then, where entire episodes focus on "minor characters" and background development. You almost don't see Guts in that volume. The story's actually not moving much slower right now than it did at that time, it's just that people didn't notice it before.

I think the problem with "disappointed" people in general is that they expected the party to breeze through Vritannis, steal a ship and sail away (that and also the fact they read 30 volumes in a week and can't stand to get the episodes one by one). Ignoring the fact that it wouldn't have been realistic at all, Miura went for a different approach. He introduced the town (and how Guts & co were doing in it), shed some light on what's happening with the world (the Holy See, the war, different countries being allied, etc), resolved the problem of Serpico & Farnese's place within the group (important character development for both) together with Serpico's rivalry with Guts, included some serious character developement for Isidro, Schierke, Sonia and Mule, and used that to show how life at the Neo Hawk's camp is going. Then there's the familial subplot with the Vandimions that served as an introduction to the Holy See Alliance's political struggles, the reappearance of Owen, the introduction of Roderick that allows the group to use a ship, and lastly the Kushan attack on the town. Is this for the better? I think so.

The onslaught itself and the group's escape will probably cover 2 volumes (30 & 31) in total, and that's not 2 volumes of continuous battle. But then again people always complain and say they want MORE fights and MORE blood, so I have to admit that sometimes it's hard to get their reactions. At the beginning of volume 30 it's a showcase of Guts' strength, classic stuff, then it shows Farnese' newfound abilities and Roderick's willfulness. They decide to get out of the place and get to Roderick's ship, but they have to cut directly through the assault being led on the city. Logically, they encounter more enemies and have to defeat them. Miura uses the opportunity to show that the group's fighting like a real team and that all the members complete each other well. Then a Makara appears again after the fight on the beach, and Guts shows that he can kill it without resorting to the armor's power. That's just 2 episodes, for getting to the harbor from the ball in a city under attack. I don't think it's too long. But they find Daka on the port, logical since that's where they're attacking from. Schierke kills them using magic, that takes 2 episodes more. The way to the ship is clear, but a dozen Makara surge suddenly, and Guts has to use the armor to fight them. He gets badly wounded and doesn't control himself anymore, Schierke was absorbed by the armor, plus Daiba has appeared. That's also 2 episodes. The group fights Daiba and the Kundalini, Guts comes back to his senses, Daiba's defeated, 3 episodes long. Now the group is really free to get to the ship, and they should within the next 4 episodes if things go well. This is a rough summary, omitting a lot of important details, but I think it shows that there's no fat you can cut in the last volume.

What part could be removed? Would it make sense for the group to move through town avoiding all of the enemy troops that are investing it? I don't think so. And sure, the Makara are just huge stupid monsters, but that's what they're supposed to be. They're not meant to be cool enemies, just heavy troops in an army. They're not the focus at all, they're instrumental. The group has been fighting monsters repeatedly because of the context, they're in the middle of a battlefield. Regardless, Miura managed to cram a lot of things in each and every of these episodes, save maybe for 269 (which is still cool), and I don't see how the story could do without them. Especially since it's probably going to be used as a transition to the Neo Hawks' intervention in Vritannis. Please also keep in mind that what looks slow to you right now might very well feel too brief when you'll read it in a few years. People were complaining that the story was moving too slowly in volume 26 and 27, but did it? Nobody's saying so anymore. And before that it was too slow in volume 23, 24, 25... Once it's all put together people usually reconsider their thoughts.

The only thing that made me kinda sad was the introduction of magic in Berserk..
Elementals, wizards.. God.. I hate it.. But i do love Berserk and so i shall read it 'till the very end! lol
I liked Berserk more when it was Guts fighting big enemies without magic or support. That my friends was enterteinment lol :guts:

I guess that the only thing that would stop me from reading on is going blind :carcus:
Everyone should be more patient, I mean every time it seemed like it was winding down Miura came up with an amazing new development, and like AaZ pointed out, you need to look at the big picture here. Suggestion: wait until the whole vol. is complete and then read it.

Lol. I will never stop reading, Berserk just keeps getting interesting with each volume I read, I will probably stop reading when Berserk eventually stops

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
The only thing that made me kinda sad was the introduction of magic in Berserk..
Elementals, wizards.. God.. I hate it..
Did you read my post? The magic introduction jarred me too, but Miura has justified it time and time again since then (~vol 22). So, what's your problem?

S

Some Guy

I'd be a little inclined if Miura were for some reason convinced to abondon all plot and character development in favor endless monster killing and H-scenes. Also an extremely lameass turn of events such as Guts being suddenly killed off and Puck becoming the main character :puck:

Of course I don't believe Miura is capable of doing such a thing and his manga continues to be the most compelling I've ever read. I can't really say there have been any filler material that weren't needed (unless you call character development and humor "filler" , which I don't).

Aazealh said:
The probability of finding me in 10 years still here on SK.net answering the same questions like I did 2 years ago is pretty high.

YES! :guts:

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Aazealh said:
I'll read Berserk to the end and I'll still be a fan even once it's ended. The probability of finding me in 10 years still here on SK.net answering the same questions like I did 2 years ago is pretty high.

I'd like to think that a great deal of us would still be here 10 years from now, especially since this is the best Berserk site out there.  Not to mention it's nice to mingle with fellow fanatics.

Knight o' Skeleton said:
I'd be a little inclined if Miura were for some reason convinced to abondon all plot and character development in favor endless monster killing and H-scenes. Also an extremely lameass turn of events such as Guts being suddenly killed off and Puck becoming the main character :puck:

I can only imagine how the story would go if that actually happened, or something equally stupid like Zodd being Guts' father from an alternate reality and Griffith and Guts being long-lost brothers.

I think I'll join the band wagon and say I won't stop reading it until I see the words, "THE END". And when it's finished, knowing myself, I'll re-read and re-read the series forever, and when my kid is an appropriate age (there's alot of boobies in there :carcus:)...I'll MAKE him read it...and if it's a her, NO BARBIES!!! ONLY BERSERK!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness tho, think about things from Miura's perspective, this series has been going on for 20 + years (correct me if im wrong admins!) You think he's invested ALL OF HIS CAREER to let it all go to shit and ultimately become a silly Naruto-like manga?! I think not sir! Sorry naruto lovers, I was semi enjoying the series until the appearance of a talking dog. :(

Berserk is like a good meal, sometimes the longer u take to prepare it, the better it will taste in the end.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
this series has been going on for 20 + years (correct me if im wrong admins!)

It's been 16 years and a half since the first episode was published to be exact, not counting the prototype.

Like a lot of people here I don't see anything thact can make me stop reading Berserk!
About the storyline like Aaz said(and I'm sure it's not the first time)Miura did not described any "useless" elements...I can understand that people dislike the "mood" of Berserk the introduction of magic has changed the way we see the world,Guts is not alone and as wild as before but IMO it's still as cool as before the story is really well develloped and very surprising,Miura made a lot of progress in his artwork(which was already close to perfect for me)SO Berserk is still the mature but cool manga I used to and will still read for years!

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Even if Berserk does a matrix-sequel move and start to become questionable in quality (which I highly doubt ever happening) I hope to still read it. There is just something about Berserk that captivates me so much, that despite what twists or turns the story may take I hope to still be a dedicated Berserk reader far into the future.

Hope to see most of you still here in 2016 :serpico:

Im just hoping that Miura LIVES to see the end of Berserk! I heard that he has an ending planned, so maybe someone could take over the reigns if it came down to it, but still....

Anyway, back to topic.......

I too wish to stick to the end with Berserk. Now, on the subject of magic in Berserk, for the most part im fine with it. I personally hate the idea of Harry Potter-esque wizards, but part of the reason i love Berserk is that it takes these things and makes them bad-ass! On paper, the idead of Gatts fighting a fairy (Roshinu) would seem really cheesy, but Miura makes it totally believable. I believe he does the same with wizards, magic, etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheBeast43105 said:
I heard that he has an ending planned, so maybe someone could take over the reigns if it came down to it, but still....

Well I don't know where you've heard that but I doubt that information is legit. Miura's not known for giving away his plans for the series. Even the people at Young Animal complain that they know practically nothing more on Berserk than regular readers.

And I don't think anyone but him could write/draw Berserk anyway. It just wouldn't be the same.

Aazealh said:
Well I don't know where you've heard that but I doubt that information is legit. Miura's not known for giving away his plans for the series. Even the people at Young Animal complain that they know practically nothing more on Berserk than regular readers.

And I don't think anyone but him could write/draw Berserk anyway. It just wouldn't be the same.

Yeah i wasnt sure, it was a while ago, but i agree with that it wouldnt be the same even if the rest of the series progression was laid out in front of them. This is why im paranoid about mr. miura and his well-being. Oh well, no need to worry, time to read some Berserk!

Now i take back some of the things i've said in the past.. I couldnt stop reading Berserk, i think it was the endless fighting episodes with little major plot evolution that made me kinda "sad".. Add that with long waiting time between episodes. :puck:
But in the big picture Berserk is perfect.. Except the magic.. I hate it.. :schierke:
lol

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I don't think I'll ever grow tired of Berserk. Even though I have to admit I was a little disapointed at first with the introduction of the Kushans and a more eastern style, I have to say that all my doubts have slowly dwindled way. I've come to notice that Miura has a certain way of weaving things into his world that really elevates the series from your standard manga to something truly epic. I also think that, despite how much I wish the series would move faster, I can't help but feel that this is the absolute fastest (episode wise) that the series can move without being cheapened. None of it is filler, just about every detail adds something to the story and world.

While it's certainly possible to ruin this beautiful series, I honestly can't wrap my head around Miura failing to live up to his standards. He's produced 31 volumes worth of content and not one episode has made me question the quality of the series, so realistically I just can't see something in the series happening to make me stop reading.

Tj-Sama

--Vicious Smile--
When my eyes hurt and I'm seeing Gutts everywhere and thinking theres going to be a rip in dimensions o-o

Top Bottom