Battle Angel Alita

So I just finished the original 9 volume series. I know there is Last Order which is supposed to be an alternate telling of the story. I was wondering if anyone had read both and could explain to me where Last Order picks up? SPOILER BELOW SPOILER BELOW SPOILER BELOW SPOILER BELOW

Is it after she wakes up on Tiphares? I know I read somewhere that the author did not like his original ending. Just wondering if it is a real continuation or just a rettelling with a different ending.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I was just thinking about reading this manga. I heard it takes place somewhere between the last few volumes of the original. There's supposed to be a movie coming out soon too, minus a lot of gore (PG-13). I wish they kept the original title, Gunm sounds better than the current one.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
It picks up right after Nova blows up Gally. It's actually a pretty good series, though right now it's on some weird apocalypse vampire senario shit, that's kinda assy.

Isnt this the manga that James Cameron wants to make into a live action movie with those fancy new 3D cameras he's been tinkering with for the last several years?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I wish they kept the original title, Gunm sounds better than the current one.

Indeed, but it's written GUNNM, with 2 'n'.

Wereallmad said:
It's actually a pretty good series, though right now it's on some weird apocalypse vampire senario shit, that's kinda assy.

Yeah, Last Order didn't enchant me honestly, I've stopped reading it at volume 2. I'll probably give it another try someday but I won't be expecting much.

grendelrt said:
Sweet thanks. So is Last Order still being written or just waiting to be translated.

It's still on-going in Japan.

HawaiianStallion said:
Isnt this the manga that James Cameron wants to make into a live action movie with those fancy new 3D cameras he's been tinkering with for the last several years?

Yeah, that's the one.

Sweet thanks Aaz. Battle Angel was one of the first animes I watched back in the day on the original VHS release. I bought the mangas off the orginial release, they were larger and I think read left to right. But I just now finally got around to reading the whole thing lol. I know the reason he came back was he didnt like the ending, but I thought it was actually refreshing to see an ending that didnt have some super complicated human psychy thing going on for once :guts:

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Spoilers and stuff:

Well, the author thought he had months to live or something -I can't remember the exact story- so he cobbled together an ending that he didn't really want. That's what I heard, anyway.

It's not a bad series at all. At first I didn't like it for a host of reasons:

The art style is more typical (ie. characters with really long limbs and small heads) of manga than the original, though it is much higher quality (as far as the actual rendering). I liked the fact that characters were a bit more realistically proportioned in the original. Gally was short, so she was proportioned about 5 or 6 heads high, now she has the typical greek godess standard of 8 heads, like most manga characters do, and I don't like it at all. Infact, it's one of the things that Bugs me about Berserk from time to time as well. People just aren't built like that unless they're 7 feet tall or something.

The story was a bit too much to just drop on people all at once as well. Seeing the jovians (?), and other intersteller races was a real shock (I guess these are humans that evolved to suit their environments).

The battles had a bad start as well. One of the first battles was this big energy battle that reminded me of that Dragonball stuff.

The manga now also features an interstellar campionship bout called the "zeinith of things", that has weird thematic martial artists (which also reminds me of dragonball, though there are lots of things that have such competitions) competing against each other. Never the less, the battles really did pick up. After a while they became more impressive than many in the original series.

Not only that, but it's been answering previously unanswered questions in the original manga left and right. I was just starting to get interested when, around chapter (episode?) 50 or so, it detoured into a side story about vampires battling mutants and eskimos in a post apocalyptic frozen-earth. It's pretty boring. It seems to have more of a point than the phantom kid side story that was introduced for one of the fodder contestants that Gally's team fought. It doesn't help that I don't know of any sites translating the individual chapters so I have to half guess at the plot untill viz releases a full volume.

edit: on second thought, that doesn't sound like a very good review.......

I remeber watching the video I think. Its the one with the City in the sky right and they find her body in a trash heap? That was a pretty awesome movie, kinda sad but it was good. I didnt realise it was still an on going manga.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
I was very happy when I saw Last Order coming around, as I wasn't really satisfied with the original ending. It met my expectations, even though I find that "Dragonballesque" feel Wereallmad mentioned earlier uncalled for.

Top Bottom