Battlefield 3

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
UPDATE:

2uzv2hj.jpg

Battlefield 3 seems to be one of this year's most anticipated FPS and i know that some have gotten that FPS = COD well then i have one thing to tell you it isn't. Not all FPS have a horrible community, boring and repetitive gameplay with instantkill knife (i think i ain't the first person to get this impression). Well this isn't a post where i should bash or say something negative about COD series but rather write about BF3.

This game has a large budget and unlike most big budget FPS games its lead platform is the PC (They seems serious about not dumbing down the game for the consoles)

P.S. One thing guys most people associate Battlefield 3 with Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 and don't get me wrong they are made by the same company but BFBC 1 & 2 are more like a mix of COD and BF.

Well, the new engine they're using for the game looks rather sexy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA378g_gD1I

Looks are one thing, handling is another. SO long as environments are still destructible, sign me up. BF2 was fun to play for sure. However, BF3 looks like it's ready to get with the times (graphically).

Know what game sucks (on 360), Crysis 2. Idk why people are getting on their knees for that game. :schierke:

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
Proj2501 said:
Well, the new engine they're using for the game looks rather sexy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA378g_gD1I

Looks are one thing,

Is this game going to be anything more than a very pretty shooter? Having amazing graphics is great but we all know that quickly wears off (Killzone 2 anyone?). Anyone know of any gameplay innovations BF3 is going to bring?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
waqas said:
Is this game going to be anything more than a very pretty shooter? Having amazing graphics is great but we all know that quickly wears off (Killzone 2 anyone?). Anyone know of any gameplay innovations BF3 is going to bring?
Right now they're marketing the engine, not the gameplay or even multiplayer features. The very first we've ever seen or or heard about the game was at GDC this year, just a month ago, so of course we know very little. But since the game is launching in Fall, I expect it to have a big presence at E3 this year. At GDC, they specifically weren't talking about multiplayer features, only the campaign.

I don't personally expect this to offer much more than Battlefield 2 as far as "gameplay innovations." It's primarily a multiplayer, first-person shooter. I expect it will play like Bad Company 2 with more vehicles and bigger levels. And really, that's all they need to do.

Walter said:
Right now they're marketing the engine, not the gameplay or even multiplayer features. The very first we've ever seen or or heard about the game was at GDC this year, just a month ago, so of course we know very little. But since the game is launching in Fall, I expect it to have a big presence at E3 this year. At GDC, they specifically weren't talking about multiplayer features, only the campaign.

I don't personally expect this to offer much more than Battlefield 2 as far as "gameplay innovations." It's primarily a multiplayer, first-person shooter. I expect it will play like Bad Company 2 with more vehicles and bigger levels. And really, that's all they need to do.

If the gameplay is the same as BC:2 with these graphics and no issues with frame rate, I don't see how they can lose. BC:2 did really make playing as a team important and meaningful. As much as I love my COD, it always boils down to: Every man for himself!

See my avatar to see what non-traditional FPS I'm drooling for. (Fun fact: JUST beat Portal last week. REALLY late to the party on that one.)

From IGN:

Electronic Arts is setting the bar high for Battlefield 3.

Speaking during the Ad Age Digital Conference in New York City today, CEO John Riccitiello confirm it will launch Battlefield 3 in November of this year and said the publisher has rival Activision's Call of Duty series in its sights.

"This November, we're launching Battlefield 3. It's going up against the next Call of Duty, which is presently the #1 game in the game industry," he said. "A game that last year did $400 million dollars in revenue on day one. [Battlefield 3] is designed to take that game down."

Riccitiello later compared this holiday's battle between the two games to the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry in baseball and said gamers can expect to see massive advertising campaigns for both titles.

"There will be a couple hundred million dollars of marketing against these two products going head to head. We think we have the better product," Riccitiello added.

EA Games president Frank Gibeau echoed similar comments during GDC last month when he told us: "Everybody loves a heavyweight fight, and that's what this is going to be. We're here to compete."

That's pretty big talk, but competition breeds excellence. Hopefully the consumers will be the ones to benefit from this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Exciting talk. If I had to pick one title for the fall though, personally it's going to be BF3.

Walter said:
Exciting talk. If I had to pick one title for the fall though, personally it's going to be BF3.

Black Ops and Modern Warfare (while there are plenty of differences I know) play very much alike. Black Ops went out of it's way to make sure killstreaks remained for instance. They added some things (RC Car and the like) but they didn't mess dramatically with their winning formula. Can you blame them from a business perspective? No. You'll see it change it a noticeable way when they need to recapture the hearts and minds of the consumer.

What we're seeing now is BF as the underdog. They HAVE to outshine Call of Duty if they really want to see COD's revenue. The COD franchise can remain as is and will pretty much keep make boat loads of cash. That's a good thing. I want to be blown away by BF3. I want to be Wow'd. Seeing COD knocked off it's throne for the right reasons would only spur them to step up to the challenge and reclaim the title. As gamers, we are being courted by two eligible suitors. Let the best 'man' win.

But to see BF out-gun COD would be something. :carcus:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
BF3 is looking sexy as hell. (Sup :carcus:)

BF3, from my honest opinion, just looks like it handles the combat more respectfully than COD. I also like how the characters are using accurate military lingo before/during/after the fire fight.

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
Walter said:

I have to be honest I think I'm just sick of all these military style shooters with 7 hour campaigns, overly scripted progression and corridor gameplay. :mozgus:

Walter said:

This is what irks me most. I guess I'm biased since I almost never play games online but I don't get why a developer can't put as much effort into the single player experience. And that's why I only rent first person shooters these days.

Anyway, back to BF3. EA's comments today suggest to me that the reason they're marketing the engine right now is because they really don't have anything else to make it stand out. I mean, why didn't they just come out and say: We want to make Modern Warfare... only MODERN WARFARER!!!

Infinte

waqas said:
I have to be honest I think I'm just sick of all these military style shooters with 7 hour campaigns, overly scripted progression and corridor gameplay. :mozgus:

This is what irks me most. I guess I'm biased since I almost never play games online but I don't get why a developer can't put as much effort into the single player experience. And that's why I only rent first person shooters these days.

Anyway, back to BF3. EA's comments today suggest to me that the reason they're marketing the engine right now is because they really don't have anything else to make it stand out. I mean, why didn't they just come out and say: We want to make Modern Warfare... only MODERN WARFARER!!!

To give you my two cents, i would say BF(i mean the whole series except BFBC 1 & 2) and MOH are more realistic(although not that realistic) based games compared to COD because in MOH and BF the AI act more armylike(?) where there is no combat zones and other stuff like that while in COD its like a hollywood action movie where you are the hero who doesn't give a shit and do stuff his way.

BTW i will love the game even more if they keep stuff like LAN, Bots and Modding.

Infinte

Truder said:
awesome new trailer is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

Yeah it is an awesome trailer and to correct my old post what i meant is that Battlefield has a more "serious" tone to it than it being more realistic than the Modern Warfare franchise because, if we are going to talk about realistic than i should have brought up Rama which itself is more of a Simulator than an actual FPS.

I admit myself that i was a little bit slanderous about MW2 but it itself is not a bad game it's just that it's repetitive arcade like shooter in small maps get pretty boring after a while and the SP campaign didn't really do anything specific for me to like it(IMO the story lacked a bit), though i remember how much i could play BFBC2 without getting bored that much and it was the same for COD4MW.

The thing is no dedicated servers(a major factor in Online PC Gaming) which came with the P2P, the horrible community(especially the XBL one and yes i have played the game on the Xbox) its like it's full of rageaholics and you would be surprised how many new insults they can come up with, that and they took away what little mod tools(to easier sell map DLC's which are overpriced and should have been given away with full game at it's release) the community had that basically killed it for me since than i haven't returned to that franchise(COD4 had it's flaws but it's been seen as the good on of the franchise since the latest ones where even worse in comparison) i even avoided the infamous Black Ops(Luckily). My point(maybe i wrote a little too much) is that the game itself is not bad nor is good it's just that something was left out(purposely if you ask me) that could have made the game at least fairly decent.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116532-Battlefield-3-Update-Includes-Paid-Shortcuts

You can now buy unlockables that you'd normally have to play through the game to receive. It's not too different from what Battlefield Bad Company 2 did with their gold edition.

My favorite part of playing games is leveling up and unlocking things; I wouldn't dream of skipping it. That would feel like paying to skip an hour of a movie.

I also never liked the concept of buying power.

You know, I just re-read my own comments in this thread. I want to hop in a TARDIS and shake myself and shout, "BF is from EA Proj! EA! Disappointment comes in 3's. Don't buy into the hype!"

Yeah, shooters are repetitive shit, but MW3 is honestly more fun to play (if I have to play a shooter). Sorry BF lovers, I still love you guys.

EA really gets on my nerves for:
- Releasing 8 billion expansion packs for every Sims game
- Intentionally leaving out expansion features from previous Sims games (like being able to go downtown) so that they can sell you remakes of previous expansion packs
- Product Placement themed expansion packs (No, seriously, the Sims has an expansion pack where you buy stuff from IKEA)
- Day 1 dlc at extra charge
- Costume and Weapon pack dlc at extra charge
- Weapon pack dlc for fucking multiplayer
- Making me sign up for Origin to play games twice and then having my account stop giving me access after both sign ups. I bought DA:O ultimate edition on Steam, was having trouble running it (which I could have resolved by just restarting my computer) but tech support told me to register it to origin. Now I have to go to bioware's social website everytime I want to play it because no one at tech support could figure it how to stop the game from mysteriously unauthorizing my dlc every time I exit the game.
- Advertisement overkill. A week before ME2's release I was on game trailers looking at Mass Effect 2 footage, but needed to wait through an unskippable Mass Effect 2 advertisement to watch. And yes, EA, you've told me that SWTOR exists about a 100 billion times. I played it over the free weekend and the cut scenes do not disguise your mindless grind/fetch quests and boring auto-attack/let's take turns combat system.
- This pay to level up scheme for BF3

I don't have any interest in these modern army FPS's. Bioshock: Infinite is the only FPS on the horizon that his piqued my interest.

Top Bottom