Berserk Character studies

A

avidwriter

What kind of paper are you drawing on? Cardboard? Very good art though. Keep it up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vee209 said:
My next project.. I want to do a portrait of Sonia. This is one sketch I did today. I still feel that there are a few things that need correcting but can't quite pinpoint them. Hope you guys can help. Many thanks in advance.

It's hard to pinpoint, but I feel that something's wrong too. I think it may be that the head is too elongated. It also sort of looks deformed, the right side of her head (from the viewer's point) being higher than the left (probably a matter of angle). The mouth might be too close from her chin, too (again, could be a problem with the angle: is her face inclined toward the ground or not?). And the nose might be a little off as well. It's all slight things, but it can be enough to throw off the viewer. Anyway, keep up the good work!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey, how do I keep missing updates to these threads? :void: Sorry for the delay in responding.

Anyways it's looking good. I'm very impressed with your rendering ability. I think what people are alluding to is a problem with the proportions.

The first thing that jumped out at me is the size of the face as it relates to the size of the skull. Sonia usually is depicted with a slightly prominent forehead but no where near the size you've got. The overall size of her head is very large.

I made some quick edits in photoshop to show what I'm trying to describe (pardon how rough it is):

soniacritoe1.gif

Aaz might be onto something with the relations of the mouth, chin, etc, as it relates to how Miura draws them. I think, however, that once the skull issue is resolved those other parts of the face are within acceptable margins.

Everything seems to fall into place a bit better when the size of the skull is reduced dramatically. I also toned down how far it was slanting to the right and I raised the left eye/brow up slightly so it would align better.

Thank you ever so much for all of the suggestions. I do agree that lots of the proportions are wrong. I did a new drawing today. Still look a bit off somehow - when you spend too much time doing something, you can't really see some of the very obvious mistakes. Her face should be more heart shaped, perhaps? Bigger eyes? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will get it just right after a few more sketches.

Sonia7.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
The head's still disproportionate, for the same reasons listed above. Also check the size of the eyes in relation to each other.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vee209 said:
Thank you ever so much for all of the suggestions. I do agree that lots of the proportions are wrong. I did a new drawing today. Still look a bit off somehow - when you spend too much time doing something, you can't really see some of the very obvious mistakes. Her face should be more heart shaped, perhaps? Bigger eyes? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will get it just right after a few more sketches.

I think the right eye looks too much to the right (from the viewer's perspective). It's also bigger than the other, like CnC said. The way her head is positioned in regard to her body is a little weird to me too, but that's minor. I don't think the face should be more heart shaped.

I realised that I got the proportion of the face completely wrong in the first two versions. After going through the comic books and did few more sketches, this is the latest correction.
The sketches are done on Daler & Rowney recycled drawing paper.

Sonia8-a.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vee209 said:
I realised that I got the proportion of the face completely wrong in the first two versions - a little embarrassing really. After going through the comic books and did few more sketches, this is the latest correction.

Her face looks too wide and not high enough to me. Compare with this for example:

Sonia.jpg

The position of the head and neck might also be problematic. Anyway, I don't know why, but she really creeps me out in this latest drawing of yours. I think it's the combination of the huge eyes and that little smirk.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Aazealh said:
Her face looks too wide and not high enough to me...The position of the head and neck might also be problematic. Anyway, I don't know why, but she really creeps me out in this latest drawing of yours. I think it's the combination of the huge eyes and that little smirk.

I feel that way about every picture of Sonia, so I guess that means he really captured the expression. I think a lot of the problems in this version come from the perspective. Sonia seems to be hunched over a bit like she's looking down. In regards to the width issue, your second sketch was closer to the example Aaz showed. I personally have a problem with the left eye. It looks like the eyelid is lower like she hasn't slept for a day, but then again my eyes always do this. Over all beautiful work though!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While CnC certainly made Sonia more attractive and symmetrical, I think vee's got the right of it in the most recent drafts. I mean, her head IS really strange looking, ya know. :carcus:

Btw, keep it up Vee, these are all great works. Bringing some class to our humble forum.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
While CnC certainly made Sonia more attractive and symmetrical, I think vee's got the right of it in the most recent drafts. I mean, her head IS really strange looking, ya know. :carcus:

Yea certainly can't argue with the proof that Aaz posted. The size of her forehead will continue to bother me to no end, it seems.

Walter said:
Bringing some class to our humble forum.

Lith, CnC, Proj: :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Lith, CnC, Proj: :judo:
Im not trying to discredit them, there's no question they (and you) are what keeps this section one of the most productive and, dare I say, COLORFUL :ganishka: on the forum. I'm just saying I think vee's drawing being a whole new element of renaissance sophistication to Skullknight.NET's Creation Station. Hey look, I even customized that sentence so you can use it as a blurb whenever you make it big!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Yea certainly can't argue with the proof that Aaz posted. The size of her forehead will continue to bother me to no end, it seems.

Well, to your credit, it's hard to make it big enough and at the same time not too freaky. I also feel sympathy for vee209, because all the sketches are good, and talent isn't the problem, it's just the model that's particularly difficult.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I know what you mean Aaz. Its a thin line for Sonia sketches between too small to be accurate and nuclear holocaust mutant. :troll:

I noticed that Sonia's eyes do indeed get smaller and face becomes a little longer in the later episodes. Gradual transition that I haven't quite noticed. I will try to reduce the size of eyes a bit. Forehead is also an issue here. I will try to come up with another corrected version later. Many thanks for the suggestions.

In any cases, so let's take a break. This is my new painting of Zodd:

NosferatuZodd-1.jpg

Based on the picture of Zodd model done by Joa, who kindly gave me the permission to paint it.- Many thanks!
His model can be seen at
http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=221

Godred

Once sent from the Golden Hall.
vee209 said:
I noticed that Sonia's eyes do indeed get smaller and face becomes a little longer in the later episodes. Gradual transition that I haven't quite noticed. I will try to reduce the size of eyes a bit. Forehead is also an issue here. I will try to come up with another corrected version later. Many thanks for the suggestions.

In any cases, so let's take a break. This is my new painting of Zodd:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/vee209/Berserk%20Studies/NosferatuZodd-1.jpg

Based on the picture of Zodd model done by Joa, who kindly gave me the permission to paint it.- Many thanks!
His model can be seen at
http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=221

I love your Sonia the way it is. Its a beautiful piece of art.
and as for the Zodd. Holy fuck! How big of a canvas did you paint this on?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice painting of Zodd, I like it a lot! :zodd:

As for Sonia, I think you were closer during the first two attempts than the third one. Hope the next will be the good one! :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
_VERY_ awesome! It's impressionism really works in its favor. Very imposing colors and style. Love it.

O_O
O_O
Niiiiiiice

Although admittedly if I had a choice I'd rather own the original model than the painting.

Top Bottom