Berserk Character studies

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Very nice, indeed!

I think DirectDK would like to own that to go with his statue.

Very glad that you like the pic. Thank you for all of the comments.

I've just been pretty busy this week. Haven't got time to corret some of the drawings or paintings just yet.

Here is a quick sketch of Sonia. Hopefully, I will get round to do a more detailed version.

Sonia10.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's pretty cool overall, but I don't think the face really looks like her. The legs might be too long, too (though it's hard to say with the dress). Anyway I think you should indeed try to draw a more detailed version.

-Very- nice work, I'm still salivating over the Zodd painting and IMHO this Sonia is the best so far. I hope you can keep up the rate and the quality, cheers!

A slightly more detailed line drawings of Luka and the girls. Still not entirely happy with the picture - so no shadings just yet. Perhaps I should shorten Lucy's neck a bit - my usual mistake.. Any suggestions for improvements? Many thanks..
LostChildren001.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vee209 said:
A slightly more detailed line drawings of Luka and the girls. Still not entirely happy with the picture - so no shadings just yet. Perhaps I should shorten Lucy's neck a bit - my usual mistake.. Any suggestions for improvements? Many thanks..

Well I like the composition, although it's not very elaborate so far. But I have to say that the choice of the filename seems a little odd to me. Why "Lost Children?"

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Aazealh said:
... the filename seems a little odd to me. Why "Lost Children?"

Probably a reference to them being young prostitutes. It works for me at least with the content of the picture.

vee209 said:

So far its not bad. The first thing I would do though is match up the sizes of their heads a little more. Nina looks like she is too far back from Luca to have her arm around her like that. Also leaning over at that angle she would have trouble supporting her weight so she should be pressing into into Luca more for support. That also raises its appeal value having them pressed together... for various reasons.

The main problem I have with elaborate images and difficult composition is that I get tired and get in a rush to finish so I settle on some parts or characters entirely. Take your time and fix any part you are unhappy with even if you redraw it a couple times. I have one of just Farnese, Caska, and Shierke that I have been refining over the course of the last week. Seems easier to just fix one thing at a time.

Thank you Serpico for the suggestions. Really appreciate that.. I will try correcting small bits at a time.
For lost children.. I tried to save the pic quickly and somehow the name just came up, and that was the only name i could think of at the time. Suppose the fact that they are all prostitures does contribute to it.

Here is another version:
LukaandNina.jpg

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I'm starting to worry that all are criticisms are going to send vee over the edge, and then no more character studies.

Also, Nina always appeared emaciated to me. In this sketch her face looks fuller and more lively than it should. I don't know if that's the shape of the head or just the shading. You did a great job with the hair though! Please don't get discouraged!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I'm starting to worry that all are criticisms are going to send vee over the edge, and then no more character studies.

That would be regrettable. Honest criticism is a healthy way of spotting defaults in one's work that might otherwise not be noticed, and it doesn't imply a lack of appreciation for said work.

Okin said:
With someone of Vee's ability, I suspect he's quite use to heavy criticism. While it can be frustrating to hear what's wrong with your work over and over again, it challenges you to improve. I really don't think many artists have become great through a lack of criticism, it's that which makes them great. Does that make sense?

Besides that, there's been plenty of praise in this thread so I don't think there's any reason to worry about him discontinuing this project. That would be silly.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Okin said:

Well, I can tell you I live for good critiques. It's a great way to improve, not to mention a fresh set of eyes on a pic can spot something you missed.

Like Aaz said, as long as the feedback is positive there's no reason to ever take offense to it.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I think it depends. I draw as a hobby so I'm usually not that fond of an intensive critique myself. When I am seriously practicing or if I miss something thats obvious to someone else though it is pretty helpful if they point it out. I might not even bother to fix it but at least I will keep it in mind for future work.

I like the new one Vee. The upper portion where Luca is cradling Nina is excellent in my opinion. The faces and hair are great. The only major correction I would make is so Nina's forearm is longer and straighter. You might have to re-angle things like the hand a little.

I would use a wireframe before you finalize your outline if you dont already. Its much easier to test and modify.

Pistol

black heart with brown eyes
That picture of Sonia is GREAT! @_@ it makes me feel ridiculous for having this doodle as my icon XD

Thank you very much for the concerns, Okin. I honestly don't mind any critiques. They have been extremely helpful to me. There are always something in the picture that bothers me and i am not quite sure what wrong with it. Getting other people to comment on it definitely help.

Doing Berserk studies is a good way of learning about figurative studies - I still need to based it on anatomy etc. Hell, I still have a long way to go to master it. I will definitely need constant critics got improve myself. I suppose that by not doing it right, I just don't do the comic any justice.

I would greatly appreciate if some of you could post some examples of the correction required (if you've some across anything relevant).

As Perineum Falcon mentioned that Nina was too small, I may have made her left arm too short.
Slight correction..

Lukaandnina2.jpg

If you feel that the hands are still not quite right, can you find some examples. I do struggle with them right now. Many thanks.

I've also tried a charcoal study of Slan.
Slan_charcoal-corrections.jpg

Any help or comment appreciated...

Top Bottom