Berserk Community Re-Read: Volume 2 (current)

Reread the second volume. I find Guts doesn't lose himself. He's tough but soft.Guts has an honest and hot heart.In fact, many people like the countess, live in their own established environment. Taking over or thinking that the whole world is where you are.But when you actually take the first step, the alien world isn't so bad, and it's not necessarily as good as the fantasy world.Everyone has his own path, and this road to go on their own.
It's better to face the truth than to live a lie.

Also: A picture of Miss Burgess looks like Griffith.hahahaha

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Some things I didn't notice prior to my recent volume 2 Re-read
1. Vargas's lair going up in flames due to Pseudoapapostle Zondark knocking over a candle (previously I assumed that he must have just hit some volatile substances there)
2. Vargas's statement to the Count before his execution foreshadows both his and the Count's fate in the next volume
3. Gerico hesitates to fight Guts out of fear before finally being prodded on by Dahl

Judo

Midlands finest
Guts' reaction as he remembers the story of Vargas (while cleaning his weapons) gives a pretty good hint about his own past. Very well done at this point.
And the way he is behaving at the execution makes it even more clear that he is not indifferent to people even though he pretends to be.
It also stood out to me how good the visual storytelling was even in these early episodes. Prime example would be the sequence where Theresias room is collapsing and she finds the determination to go outside. That's "show, don't tell" in perfection.

Judo

Midlands finest
I didn't think the participation in this thread would die down so quickly. I really liked the idea of doing a reread together as a community, so I'll just keep going with one volume per month.

I finished volume 3 today and there is so much to unpack here.
The way Puck is calling out the Count for being too weak to handle his human emotions might be the the most serious interaction he has in the whole manga (maybe aside from a few scenes with Jill).

We get the very first panel of Guts being totally overcome by his rage(with many to follow) as he manically keeps on stabbing the count.

The escheresque design of the interdimensional room where the God Hand show up is a pretty great move by Miura to enhance the disorientation of the characters and the reader.

I sometimes tend to forget, that it was not on the hill of swords but here that Guts' first encounter with Griffith after the eclipse is happening. Compared to how he immediately bursts into rage mode on the hill of swords, he pretty much keeps his composure here.

Then we are introduced to the vortex of souls, which is not only visually stunning, but also a concept that will keep looming in our heads for the rest of the story.

And the panel of Guts' sad face after Theresia promises to kill him one day still gets me. It gives a glimpse of his multi-layered character that we will soon get a deep dive into, as the story jumps back to the golden age.

I think I will take a break for now and comment on the golden age episodes in a seperate post.

I sometimes tend to forget, that it was not on the hill of swords but here that Guts' first encounter with Griffith after the eclipse is happening. Compared to how he immediately bursts into rage mode on the hill of swords, he pretty much keeps his composure here.
I don’t think there is a much of a difference here, I’m pretty sure he wanted to straight up bull rush him, but couldn’t cause of his injuries. As soon as he saw Femto he screams out and says GRIFFITH!

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

This is something I never saw as too big of an issue, but I might as well post it for volume 3 discussion. These pages are out of order on my copy.

Top Bottom