Votes: 29 20.0%

Votes: 32 22.1%

Votes: 34 23.4%

• Total voters

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Zoddiscute said:
I was surprised in the review no one mentioned how they missed out Griffith's maniacal laugh before he tries to off himself, and when Casca pushes him up and he flails around like a zombie.

Walter said:
  • Casca pushes Griffith off her, then makes Griffith shamble in the air like a zombie? What is this garbage?

Having SK's attack on Void be deflected behind him instead of straight back at him was a nice touch. I always thought that looked a little 'off' in the original manga. Yes, obvious straw grasping is obvious.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Having SK's attack on Void be deflected behind him instead of straight back at him was a nice touch. I always thought that looked a little 'off' in the original manga. Yes, obvious straw grasping is obvious.
I thought it was quite lame. The movie made SK appear prepared for the deflection. In the manga, he was caught off-guard, but reacted quickly by guarding against it. Much cooler.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I thought it was quite lame. The movie made SK appear prepared for the deflection. In the manga, he was caught off-guard, but reacted quickly by guarding against it. Much cooler.

I have to agree with Wally here..

I still can't believe the size of Void's brain in this movie. How could they sit there and agree with each other that it's totally okay to leave it like that..? Are they just gonna give Ganishka a mustache?

Walter said:

Maybe it's something, for me, that would look better in motion. Did the PS2 game animate that scene?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Maybe it's something, for me, that would look better in motion. Did the PS2 game animate that scene?
You mean the scene where instead of Femto being born, Griffith sprouts back to life as if nothing happened? :ganishka: Nope. No Skull Knight in that sequence. It ends with Guts screaming and then "Now Loading..."

For your review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOgzm70p-to

Maxwell said:
I still can't believe the size of Void's brain in this movie. How could they sit there and agree with each other that it's totally okay to leave it like that..? Are they just gonna give Ganishka a mustache?

Surely the size of voids brain :void: is one of the lesser offences of this movie.

Walter said:
You mean the scene where instead of Femto being born, Griffith sprouts back to life as if nothing happened? :ganishka: Nope. No Skull Knight in that sequence. It ends with Guts screaming and then "Now Loading..."

For your review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOgzm70p-to

Ah, who could forget that travesty, especially Casca running away like a little girl instead of wanting to die sword in hand. For a game that was aimed at the Berserk audience, why did they feel the need to drop Femto? It wouldn't exactly be confusing for newbs to grasp that, for want of a better term, Griffith has a human form and a demon one. *shrug*

Zoddiscute said:
Surely the size of voids brain :void: is one of the lesser offences of this movie.

Maybe but it's still quite jarring. I agree with the guys on the podcast. The animators were told 'we need a guy with an exposed brain', and that's what we got. What's a few more inches? :schierke:

Doc said:
Ah, who could forget that travesty, especially Casca running away little a little girl instead of wanting to die sword in hand. For a game that was aimed at the Berserk audience, why did they feel the need to drop Femto? It wouldn't exactly be confusing for newbs to grasp that, for want of a better term, Griffith has a human form and a demon one. *shrug*

Maybe but it's still quite jarring. I agree with the guys on the podcast. The animators were told 'we need a guy with an exposed brain', and that's what we got. What's a few more inches? :schierke:

To be honest I never noticed Voids brain, I didn't really have a problem with the visuals in the films for the most part either, I was more disturbed by the cuts and changes. If they got the story and characters right I would have been happy but NO!! they had to go and fuck with it. Whyyyyyyyy!!!! :judo:

I did think Charlotte looked pretty hot though, that was the one good thing I will take from the films.

That and they made me re-watch the original Anime and re-read the Manga so I could reinstate my love for the story again.

jackson_hurley

So I saw the movie last Saturday at Fantasia. The soundtrack... killed... everything! the rest I won't mentioned, not worth my time.

During Griffith's tripped out vision, I'd love to know what the hell that's supposed to be at 01:17:40? Just after the shot of Griffith's kingdom. We see a creepy looking individual reaching down to inspect something. Seriously, that's the only way I can describe it. I can identify most of the stuff in that scene but that one eludes me. Maybe I'm missing something here. Throw us a bone if you've got one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
During Griffith's tripped out vision, I'd love to know what the hell that's supposed to be at 01:17:40? Just after the shot of Griffith's kingdom. We see a creepy looking individual reaching down to inspect something. Seriously, that's the only way I can describe it. I can identify most of the stuff in that scene but that one eludes me. Maybe I'm missing something here. Throw us a bone if you've got one.
He's witnessing his own (presumably) birth. Note the shape around the frame there. It's from the perspective of a baby, with a woman's arms outstretched toward it.

It's part of what makes this whole sequence absurd. The presumption that a God Hand has access to these impossible memories. I mean, sure, it's possible, but it's far from canon.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
He's witnessing his own (presumably) birth. Note the shape around the frame there. It's from the perspective of a baby, with a woman's arms outstretched toward it.

It's part of what makes this whole sequence absurd. The presumption that a God Hand has access to these impossible memories. I mean, sure, it's possible, but it's far from canon.

Yeh I was kinda disappointed by that part... not that I'm surprised they put a ridiculous and pointless part like that. It's all they've done so far, add pointless stuff that does not serve the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Yeh I was kinda disappointed by that part... not that I'm surprised they put a ridiculous and pointless part like that. It's all they've done so far, add pointless stuff that does not serve the story.
It serves the effect of showing how Griffith has transcended humanity and become a demigod. But the way it's done is ... rather ridiculous.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
It serves the effect of showing how Griffith has transcended humanity and become a demigod. But the way it's done is ... rather ridiculous.

Yeah well I thought it was obvious enough without adding these said ridiculous way. But I get what you mean.

Walter said:

Scariest midwife ever. No wonder Griffith joined the dark side.

What do people make of this summary that I found whilst browsing TV Tropes:

The movie trilogy is also pragmatic, but acts much like a non-comical abridged version of the source material. Since there are only three movies that are only about an hour or so long (the third film is a bit longer) a lot more had to be cut or re-arranged and characterization is largely limited to that of the three main characters; some newcomers to the series might be unaware of some concepts and themes without being referred to the source material. Though some important scenes were cut or downplayed: naked water fight, Griffith's history with Gennon, and the campfire of dreams scene to name a few the creators did add other tidbits: Puck and Skull Knight not only made their animated debut finally, but Farnese and Serpico are seen at the ball scene! and made other scenes a lot more emotional having Guts and Casca dance together at the ball; Griffith's sex scene with Charlotte making these changes and additions all over worthwhile. Since these are theatrical releases, gore is played exactly how it was in the original manga (bloody battle sequences are featured primarily because newer animation techniques allowed for more graphic detail), and more disturbingly, sexual violence is played up in the movies. Some fans even go as far as saying that the third movie, which covers the infamous Eclipse event, is actually worse than the manga depiction.

At this point all the hating is getting old I know, but y'know it kinda got an ironic ring to it, having watched this movie we finally know the meaning of true despair - exactly what its ultimately supposed to convey. So in a way, they did succeed :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
It's pretty shitty, as you'd expect from TV Tropes.

Exactly. They were even saying the music of the trilogy fits Berserk more than the OST from the old anime
LETS JUST PRAISE EVERYTHING NEW GUISE BECAUSE BURSURHK!!

Judo

Midlands finest
The author is particularly praising the Guts/Caska-dance-scene and the Griffith/Charlotte-sex-scene... I can't believe someone actually liked those.
:isidro:

Seriously, why couldn't they just make a new TV-series with 26 episodes per year an stick to canon.
Every time I watch a new episode of Shingeki no Kyojin I keep thinking "they should have done Berserk like this"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Judo said:
Seriously, why couldn't they just make a new TV-series with 26 episodes per year an stick to canon.
I was going to say that it's because Studio 4°C's forté is feature films, but it's not the case. They've done TV series as well. In any case, I imagine it was a business decision. I'm sure they examined several options and concluded another series wasn't as financially feasible as a feature film trilogy (with the option of continuing).

Top Bottom