Berserk Hiatus for 19+ Weeks—A New Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ElectricWarrior said:
On an unrelated note, I'm guessing by the lack of a response so far that no one knows of a way to sign up for a monthly YA subscription anymore? RIP, Sasuga Books. :judo:
No, I just forgot to answer. The way I know of currently is through stateside Japanese bookstores. There was one in Atlanta I used to use, but has closed down. Kinokuniya Books is the largest one that I know that's still in operation. Here is their contact information: http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/index.php/fho003 . For shipping purposes, it's best to use one locally. If you live in San Francisco or New York, you are in luck. If not, be prepared to pay additional shipping (usually from Japan TO the bookstore and THEN over to you, whew...).

Contact them by email or phone, tell them you'd like to place a subscription order for Hakusensha's Young Animal. They will likely make you sign up for between 6 months to a year, because it is expensive to bring over individual items (ships via air mail). Herein lies the hurdle with subscribing to Young Animal—it's expensive, and with Miura's schedule you never know what you're signing up for.

Walter said:
This is the stupidest shit I've seen in the thread so far. Congratulations! :ubik:

Explain to me how what I just said is "Stupid" because all I said was it was alright for Miura to take a break from what he has been doing only just so not to forget it, Maybe what I said might not have came out right but that's a little harsh to call me stupid don't you think?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
Explain to me how what I just said is "Stupid" because all I said was it was alright for Miura to take a break from what he has been doing only just so not to forget it, Maybe what I said might not have came out right but that's a little harsh to call me stupid don't you think?
Why would Miura ever forget about Berserk..? The series he's been working on for more than 20 years. It's a pretty fucking ridiculous notion, and you were called out on it. I will not call that harsh.

Walter said:
Why would Miura ever forget about Berserk..? The series he's been working on for more than 20 years. It's a pretty fucking ridiculous notion, and you were called out on it. I will not call that harsh.

Fair enough, and yes Berserk is still 20 years running so that was stupid to think that Miura would forget about it. What I was trying to say was in case we would loose interest Not forget, still that's no reason to call me stupid because I got what I was trying to say wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
... as long as he does not forget about it then it leaves so much worrying to do what will happen next.
Walter said:
This is the stupidest shit I've seen in the thread so far.
Skullgrin140 said:
...yes Berserk is still 20 years running so that was stupid to think that Miura would forget about it.
So we're in agreement? Good.

still that's no reason to call me stupid because I got what I was trying to say wrong.
I called _what you said_ stupid. But now you're really pushing me to consider expanding my original statement.

Walter said:
No, I just forgot to answer. The way I know of currently is through stateside Japanese bookstores. There was one in Atlanta I used to use, but has closed down. Kinokuniya Books is the largest one that I know that's still in operation. Here is their contact information: http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/index.php/fho003 . For shipping purposes, it's best to use one locally. If you live in San Francisco or New York, you are in luck. If not, be prepared to pay additional shipping (usually from Japan TO the bookstore and THEN over to you, whew...).

Contact them by email or phone, tell them you'd like to place a subscription order for Hakusensha's Young Animal. They will likely make you sign up for between 6 months to a year, because it is expensive to bring over individual items (ships via air mail). Herein lies the hurdle with subscribing to Young Animal—it's expensive, and with Miura's schedule you never know what you're signing up for.

I am not sure how much a subscription would cost, but you could also buy each issue of YA individually through someplace like CDjapan for $15 to $30, depending on your choice of shipping.

Thanks for that info, Bender, but I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I actually have a near complete YA run, because I bought all of the Berserk 90's back issues from a friend who used to own a comic book store, and I've had a Sasuga Books subscription since the early 2000's, so I hate to stop now. But the hassle of ordering and prices of CD Japan are just really a big hurdle, and I live in Cincinnati so there are no Japanese bookstores anywhere close to me. Sasuga Books was great because you could just buy a one year subscription at a reasonable price and forget about it, so I may go the CD Japan route if the series resumes regular publication again.

Edi

Sorry for my bad English...
Edi said:
http://www.younganimal.com/magazine/next.html
No Berserk in July 12. Next chance is July 26.....
And again... No Berserk in July 26. Next chance is August 9.

Edi said:
And again... No Berserk in July 26. Next chance is August 9.
I literally cried... Ok, not really, but made some loud noises, including a lot of swear words :ganishka:

I thought I was used to these long breaks because I joined the fandom when there were already some of these, so I never really experienced how it feels to have the new episode come out when it "should", but damn, this is really hard...

Sorry I didn't post any valuable information, just whining :judo:

Gobolatula said:
Breaking Bad returns August 11th. We'll have something to hold us over!

Looking forward to that, but ...
Let's hope the next episode comes up before season 4 of Game of Thrones

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Reportedly, there will be no Berserk in the August 9 edition of Young Animal. By that time it will have been 32 weeks (15 releases) since episode 333.

We're just 6 weeks away from doubling the previous record. :sad:

I know this has been said again before, but... is this in the norm for him? I know he does a lot of prep work especially with the big events coming up, I just didn't know if maybe something happened to his health, personal life. Not that any of us would know that, but just comparing to the past. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
I know this has been said again before, but... is this in the norm for him?
As the thread title states, we're in the midst of a record-breaking hiatus. So no this isn't a normal length for a break. It's longer than normal.

Walter said:
As the thread title states, we're in the midst of a record-breaking hiatus. So no this isn't a normal length for a break. It's longer than normal.

I don't even care about the Berserk, the manga can go on a year-long break or more. But damn, this very prolonged absence worries the hell out of me about the well-being of the man himself :sad:
I only hope Miura is doing well and he's in good health. That's all that counts :judo:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Guys don't you get it, he's writing and drawing a whole volume so that we can experience it without interruption! IT'S SO OBVIOUS! :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Who was it that predicted we would be getting a longer stream of episodes with fewer breaks after the 3 part flashback?

Oh yea. It was AAZ!!! Thanks for getting my hopes up! :mozgus: :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Who was it that predicted we would be getting a longer stream of episodes with fewer breaks after the 3 part flashback?

Is that so? I doubt I predicted that. No harm in wishful thinking though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:

Does this give us carte blanche to review your previous predictions? :void:

Johnny Apples said:
I don't even care about the Berserk, the manga can go on a year-long break or more. But damn, this very prolonged absence worries the hell out of me about the well-being of the man himself :sad:
I only hope Miura is doing well and he's in good health. That's all that counts :judo:
Considering the options, it's not as if he knows when he'll be ready to publish more either. So even if he set a date, like "back in 6 months" that could also change. Best case scenario for fans, he could set a deadline (1 release every month; 12 per year) and stick to it but that's not always feasible, as we've seen.

Johnny Apples said:

I doubt he's having health problems. He's not exactly elderly.

Think about it this way. The story has recently taken great leaps forward after the world merger in ways that haven't even been fully explored. Guts is about to reach Elf Helm, a development that's been a decade in the making. We are also about to see inside Falconia, how it works and potentially Griffith as King. These are major events that will steer the story for the rest of the series. I'd imagine he's plotting things out beyond episode to episode and more like outlining the next few volumes to make sure he gets it right.

I'd much rather have a well paced and thought out story than an ad hoc method of, 'and then this happens, and then that, and that,' that I see in some monthly series. He's probably just mapping things out.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well I'm sure he's the kind of guy to give some what's up once in while about the situation and I'm pretty sure if we didn't hear anything yet was probably because everything is fine. For all I care the guy can work at every pace he wants to and if he's sick well it's not for us to know. I have faith that it'll come back when it's ready to come back.

Every time Berserk is confirmed to not be in the next issue, it stings a little but i'm sure it's for good reason. I'd hate it if he glanced over a certain aspect of the story and hurried stuff up simply because fans wanted more Berserk. If this break takes a whole year, i'm fine with it.. as long as Miura gets the story exactly like how he wants it to be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom