Berserk model kits on eBay

I was tooling round of eBay and found some of these berserk model kits, and I was wondering if anyone on here, has ever bought any of them before. they are from Thailand and I'm sure the kits are most likely reproductions but the prices aren't too bad.
If you have gotten one before what is the quality like and are they worth buying ?
This is just one of them.
3329c0h.png

30caqg9.png

For the untrained eye (not saying i'm a professional or anything) It might be hard to spot any differences between a bootleg and the real mccoy, but what you can expect the difference to be:

-Material is most likely cheaper, meaning it's more brittle and the clean-up process is gonna take a lot longer. For example, flashing is a common occurrence with Kits (google it), but due to the cheaper material and the way it was made, the flashing might be way worse. In the worst cases the issue might be so severe that the part is damn near unusable, or you're gonna need to resculpt that part by yourself

- The way bootlegs are made is that they make a cast of the original kit, instead of the master mold. What this means is that the quality of the sculpt will go down. It might look fine through pictures, but if you're buying a high-detail bootleg you might miss out on details like laces of a boot, or notches on a belt. If you're gonna buy a bootleg of locus (Please don't; you're supporting thieves) then it's not gonna be an issue, because it really doesn't have any fine details to speak of.

This is the reason the prices are so low, so basically the reason they're cheap is because they don't have to pay license fees and they skimp on material costs. If it's your first kit you're probably not gonna notice any noticeable differences, but you're gonna have a hell of a time putting the thing together compared to buying a legitimate kit.

Hope this helps.

Liad said:
- The way bootlegs are made is that they make a cast of the original kit, instead of the master mold. What this means is that the quality of the sculpt will go down. It might look fine through pictures, but if you're buying a high-detail bootleg you might miss out on details like laces of a boot, or notches on a belt. If you're gonna buy a bootleg of locus (Please don't; you're supporting thieves) then it's not gonna be an issue, because it really doesn't have any fine details to speak of.

Thanks a lot, to be honest I have never put together a kit but it looked like a nice challenge and as far as helping out bootleggers I do agree its the same as streaming anime without paying.

What do guys think about this figure?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221933604944?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's most likely a recast and who knows what condition is truly in, but its the first time I have seen a Locus kit in this scale available anywhere. Any thoughts?

It ships from Thailand, it's most definitely a recast. Thai recasts are infamous for their bad quality and horrible resin. Apart from the fact that buying recasts is ruining the hobby.
Some reading material to consider: http://www.gremlins.com/kitbuilders/recasts.html

Good points covered by both Laid and doedskvad. That link doeds is pretty exhaustive.

Mogen, eBay has an article about identifying recasts, hope this helps (specifically paragraph 6) - http://www.ebay.com/gds/Identifying-FAKE-Recast-Model-Kits-/10000000000950749/g.html

So, how do you identify a recast? Its definitely hard at first, but once you know what to look for, you'll be able to spot them. When reading an auction, look for warning signs. Does the seller tell you the name of the PRODUCER of the kit? Does the kits come with the ORIGINAL box and/or instructions, or is the seller just putting it in a ziplock bag and shipping it? Does the seller have any actual pictures of the kit, or just a scanned picture of the front of the box? Does the material look funny (wrong color, lots of "flash" pieces hanging off the kit, air bubbles, misshapen pieces, etc)? Does the seller have a Buy It Now price well below most everybody else's? Is this model kit offered as a statuette anywhere else on Ebay? Finally, is the seller local, or overseas(while this is NOT a tell tale recast sign, many Asian countries do not have and laws protecting copyrights, and in turn, its easier to pirate things from these countries)? If the answer to any of these is "no," you should have red flags raised in your mind.

doedskvad said:
It ships from Thailand, it's most definitely a recast. Thai recasts are infamous for their bad quality and horrible resin. Apart from the fact that buying recasts is ruining the hobby.
Some reading material to consider: http://www.gremlins.com/kitbuilders/recasts.html

Yeah i agree most of the time if it is from China, Hong Kong, or Thailand i count on it being some kinda of knock off, that"s the logic I uses when ordering off ebay at least (which has be come a problem in recent years).

Thank you all for your input. I did read the articles and I do agree with you all. Recasting illegally is just bad business and hurts the hobby and I do not wish to partake on that. As of know i just put my purchase order on a Gecco Guts 1/8 kit, and very much excited to see when it finally arrives. I will remember this wisdom and will purchase originals only from now on (as long as I can afford them lol). Thank you all for four input!!!

Top Bottom