Berserk Redux: A Fanedit of the Golden Age and the '97 anime

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Special thanks to Grail for making this awesome picture for me as part of the patreon project! It's just amazing! Making it the main image for the Redux thread.

6PGKCkL.png
Wow! Love the re-enactment. Seeing SK and Void behind the camera gave me a giddy kind of laughter :badbone: :ubik: Griff as diva was also a nice touch.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Aw, thanks guys, I appreciate it! :slan: This was a fun picture to work on, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I think Azan was my personal favorite.

Very cool, Grail! :guts: So much fun stuff to look at in this picture. I like Zodd in his apostle form costume and Guts there looking over his lines. :ganishka:

I love the expressions of Azan and farnese. Adorable! :ubik: I also love the stink eye Sonia is giving Charlotte as she is passing by Griffith getting fawned over by her.

Berserk Redux - Chapter 5: The Black Swordsman

The new fan-edit continues on from right where the previous one ends, at the Eclipse. With his comrades all lost, Guts goes down a new path into darkness against impossible odds, and becomes a dark legend hunted by the Holy See.

For those unfamiliar, Berserk Redux is a project aiming at blending together the Golden age trilogy, the ’97 anime, the 2016 anime, and the musou game into a more faithful and cinematic narrative than the originals presented. The original media in each often left plot and character moment holes that other media filled. These fan-edits aim to fix that.
This particular fan-edit combines media from several sources to put together a Berserk plot arc not found fully in any of the media available, but only in scattered pieces. This led to four different primary sources for this film (the most so far) as well as significant help from the Berserk Fan dub community to fix several incorrect lines, and create previously non-existent plot elements.

Those familiar with the manga will know that the Count and the Lost Children arc are unavailable on any media outside the manga, and the 2016 anime takes several liberties, so don’t consider this a replacement for either the very excellent manga, nor any of the original media included for that matter, all of which has it’s own unique tone and personality.

Special thanks to Mista_L for audio splitting, and to the team at Berserk Fandub, CapnFloof, Lucien1911, Bomberguy, Diegmeist, Henry Schraeder, Crok425, and Shin Chie, and Manganomix for additional voice work.

CHANGES:
- This fan-edit combines The Golden Age: Advent, The '97 Berserk anime, The Berserk Musou game, and Berserk 2016, making this film the first Redux with so many different media sources.
- The 2016 footage is uncensored and has updated animations
- English Dub used for consistency with previous Redux entries
- All commercial break logos cut
- Replaced narrator dialogue with better voice actor that sounds like Void
- Updated the title sequence to have a dark skinned Casca and new music
- Updated the Dragon Slayer Clang Sound to sound less ridiculous
- Skull knight meeting now includes a lot of additional dialogue to set up the interstice better and explain the Demon Child, and Guts's quest for vengeance
- Casca giving birth is included
- Puck is now included in the bar scene after the time skip
- Added iconic 'It was too big to be called a sword' line after it's first use in the bar.
- Guts has nightmares about the Eclipse while camping in the woods
- Guts's encounter with the spectres at night in the '97 anime has been shortened due to looking bad and being very redundant to the dialogue after the skeleton fight
- The Demon Tree is removed due to it upstaging the snake Baron, being strangely placed, and using the canon too frequently. It is also confusing to Guts nightly hauntings
- The Snake Baron story is included
- The tree does not attack after the skeletons, and the skeleton fight is slightly extended.
- Collette and Morgan are included in the Bar scene, making them recurring characters
- Additional frames have been added to fight sequences that move too fast in 2016
- Added preview footage when Guts kills the second set of Holy Iron Chain Knights, because the original looked cheap and sloppy
- Flashback to Golden Age after Guts is captured uses original dialogue from '97 anime
- Small edits in Farnese's interrogation to remove some of the cheaper looking flashbacks
- Changed sword hits on spectres to match the sound from the Golden Age: Advent film
- Added small eclipse flashback to make the Apostles dialogue make more sense
- Cut about a minute of the Apostle and Guts talking about meat quality
- Small edits with the possessed Horse to make the scene look less pervy, but still feel uncomfortable
- Theres nothing I can do about the credits over the final images

The link to it can be found over at https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/

Berserk Redux - Chapter 6: Conviction

The Black Swordsman is back. The latest fan-edit continues on from right where the previous one ends, with Guts on his quest for revenge against the Apostles and God Hand. But an urgent vision shared by all leads him back to Casca, who he had left in the safety of his friends. Meanwhile, after witnessing the supernatural with Guts, Farnese buries her insecurities with her faith by doubling down on religious duties by assisting an Inquisition into suspected Heretics at an ancient holy tower.

Notable inclusions in this edit are Zodd’s vision, and an extended and fixed encounter between Guts and Skull Knight. Farnese and Serpico are no longer overtly brother and sister. Many other smaller edits, and voice dubbing have been made to correct the story and avoid visual confusion. The aim is to make this feel like a movie.

If any problems are spotted, please call them out and I’ll do my best to correct them in the next update.

There will be at least one more Redux coming to complete the Conviction arc.

Special thanks to Mista_L for audio splitting, and to the team at Berserk Fandub, CapnFloof, Lucien1911, Bomberguy, Diegmeist, Henry Schraeder, Crok425, and Shin Chie, and Manganomix for additional voice work.

CHANGES:
-Color correction will bring all four animation sources looking similar.
-Zodd prophesy scene added from Musou with new dialogue
-All commercial transitions removed
-All references to Farnese and Serpico being siblings has been removed.
-The encounter between SK and Guts has been re-dubbed and extended to be more accurate
-The heretic orgy has more ominous cult music.
-Clang has been diminished
-Many unnecessary crazy camera moves have been modified to be more coherent

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Nice, thanks Bob! I forgot about the Berserk Redux project till now.

This gives me the chance to watch Berserk 2016 in English, which so far to me seems to be a really bad fandub (except the sweet PS4 Berserk and the Band of the Hawk Zodd scene :serpico:)

Berserk Redux - Chapter 7: Resurrection

Guts is pissed and ready to storm the tower. The latest fan-edit continues on from right where the previous one ends, with Guts trying to find a way to save Casca before it’s too late. She’s been captured by the inquisition in a highly guarded tower just as the malevelant souls of the Church’s victims are about to boil over into the material world. Guts will have to join forces with strangers and enemies, and once again rely on others if he’s to get his love back. Will he be able to overcome a catastrophe that has already been written by mysterious forces? Or is he struggling against a losing battle that humans are helpless against?

Notable inclusions in this edit are musou footage to emphasize the tower catastrophe. Farnese and Serpico are no longer overtly brother and sister. Many other smaller edits, and voice dubbing have been made to correct the story and avoid visual confusion. The aim is to make this feel like a movie.

Those familiar with the manga will know that many pivotal moments are not captured in any outside media, so don’t consider this a replacement for either the very excellent manga, nor any of the original media included for that matter, all of which has it’s own unique tone and personality.

If any problems are spotted, please call them out and I’ll do my best to correct them in the next update.

Changes:
-All commercial transitions removed
-Uncensored version includes more gore
-Opening music changes to something more appropriate
-Clang has been diminished
-Farnese and Serpico no longer refer to one another as siblings.
-Shortened Luca's fall to be more realistic
-Removed a few of Nina's whiney moments to make her more relatable
-Removed a couple comic relief moments to keep the tension high.
-Added Musou footage of tower crumbling to emphasize that it's mimicking the giant hand from the eclipse
-Clarified that Griffith is inhabiting the demon child
-Many edits and unnecessary crazy camera moves have been modified

FUTURE EDITS
-Changing the music as Griffith appears to something more appropriate.

Berserk Redux - Chapter 8: The Holy Demon War

A Godhand has been reborn to the world. Magic reappears as the material realm merges with the astral realm. This new fan-edit continues from where the previous one ends, at the fall of the tower. Guts has finally reunited with Casca and has witnessed Griffith get reborn into the world. Now he must make a choice.

Notable inclusions in this edit are the re-edit of Griffith’s introduction to the new Band of the Hawk, and an original sequence of Guts and Casca on the road. Many other smaller edits, and voice dubbing have been made to correct the story and avoid visual confusion. The aim is to make this feel like a movie.

Those familiar with the manga will know that many pivotal moments are not captured in any outside media, so don’t consider this a replacement for either the very excellent manga, nor any of the original media.

DIFFERENCES from the original:
-New Opening Credit Sequence
-No commercial breaks or credits between shows
-Bad jazz music replaced before the hill of swords
-Griffith's appearance at the Kushan siege has been re-edited to be a continuous scene. Originally it was a scene cut between 3 episodes.
-An original sequence based on the manga cataloging Guts hard nights defending Casca, making him less of a monster when he eventually attacks her.
-All sound transitions between edits will be evened out.

Berserk Redux - Chapter 9: The Astral Wound

Guts has companions for the first time since the Hawks. As the astral world overlaps the material world, they find themselves in a quest to save a village attacked by creatures of legend. They must confront modern religion with forgotten myth, and Guts must find the source of the Chaos in the region. This edit is by far the most stand-alone story in Redux.

For those unfamiliar, Berserk Redux is a project aiming at blending together various Berserk media into a more faithful and cinematic narrative. The original media in each often left plot and character moment holes that other media filled. These fan-edits aim to fix that.

Notable inclusions in this edit are tightening the pacing of Enoch village during the battle, removing commercial breaks, and redoing several sound effects. The aim is to make this feel like a movie.

Those familiar with the manga will know that many pivotal moments are not captured in any outside media, so don’t consider this a replacement for either the very excellent manga, nor any of the original media included for that matter, all of which has its own unique tone and personality.

-Shortened Enoch battle slightly, for less Final Fantasy style tactical call-outs, and a slightly faster pace.
-Replaced bad sound effects, and added missing sound effects.
-All sound transitions between edits are evened out.

NOT ADDRESSED
- Credits over the end imagery

Berserk Redux - Chapter 10: The Beast of Darkness

Happy 2019 everyone! Thank you all for your patience. I present the final chapter in Berserk Redux! This is as far as any media adaptation has gone, so those wanting to continue from here will have to pick up the manga. I want to thank the community for the support and encouragement throughout. I will continue to update the formats of the original Redux videos to 1080p for consistency. I hope you enjoy!

Guts and his companions' triumphant return is cut short when they encounter Griffith's army. Weakened by the wounds received from his encounter with the God Hand, Guts must put his faith in a cursed artifact that will bring out his darkest side.

For those unfamiliar, Berserk Redux is a project aiming at blending together various Berserk media into a more faithful and cinematic narrative. The original media in each often left plot and character moment holes that other media filled. These fan-edits aim to fix that.

This edit was challenging due to many episodes ending with credits, and an abrupt ending of the series. I've incorporated some Musou footage but held back on gameplay to keep this feeling like a movie. Notable inclusions in this edit are extending and improving the Grunbeld, removing commercial breaks, and redoing several sound effects, and adding a new ending from the musou game.

Those familiar with the manga will know that many pivotal moments are not captured in any outside media (ESPECIALLY in this one), so don’t consider this a replacement for either the very excellent manga, nor any of the original media included for that matter, all of which has its own unique tone and personality.

Special thanks to Mista_L for audio splitting, and to the team at Studio Taka, CapnFloof, Lucien1911, Bomberguy, Diegmeist, Henry Schraeder, Crok425, and Shin Chie, and Manganomix for additional voice work.

-Tightened dialogue at Flora's house so that it's paced more like a battle. No essential dialogue cut
-Added Musou footage to Grunbeld fight.
-Color corrected Berserker armor which was originally almost totally black.
-Updated the ending to give the incomplete series some closure.
- Replaced bad sound effects, and added missing sound effects.
-All sound transitions between edits will be evened out.

NOT ADDRESSED
- Credits over the final imagery of episodes. There's nothing I can do about it.

Previous chapters: https://www.reddit.com/r/berserk/wiki/advice

I’m proud to announce that Berserk Redux has been fully converted to 1080p!

Previously most were all limited to 720p, especially the first 5 films, but after acquiring the 97 anime in HD and I have painstakingly replaced all the previous media from the Redux project with Blu Ray quality media. Never before have the fine details stood out so well in this series of fan-edits. This will be especially noticeable for detail in the armor and crowds, and in darker scenes where resolution gets compressed. Other than adding a subtitle option, this is probably the final update to the Berserk Redux Project, unless more Berserk adaptations come out down the road.

The films can be found on the Berserk Subreddit here.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays fellow strugglers. Some of you will be aware that this was in the making, but I have remastered all the Redux films for a final pass that includes high bitrate, re-mixed audio, additional scenes, and minor fixes.

Though in the past I have updated my source media from blu-rays to improve the high detail, the size of the movies as well as the weekly max uploads for Vimeo often limited things to a bit rate of about 7mbps. This led to blocky compression, muddy reds and blacks, and aliased edges despite the HQ source. Now that I’ve upgraded Vimeo, all of them have been finished at 40mbps, making them more all much cleaner and detailed, sharpening the fine detail on all the armor and crowds.

While doing this remaster, I also added many additional scenes from the 97 anime, as well as some minor edits and fixes. The audio has also been re-adjusted so that the film and anime are closer in level, making a much more consistent experience. The links to the film remain the same. Enjoy!

Now that the memorial edition's Blu-ray has been released, will we get an updated version of Berserk Redux?

Scenes such as wounds, vow of retaliations extended scene, the bar scene with Judeau etc.

Thanks for asking.

I recently updated Berserk Redux with the Memorial Edition footage. All movie footage has been replaced to include more detailed CGI models and the new scenes are incorporated. This includes the new Bonfire of Dreams, the Judeau tavern scene, Rickert sneaking in Wyndom, Guts' traumatic flashback, and the Declaration of War. The whole series was re-dubbed by the original voice actors, so some new audio takes were swapped to improve the performance. I also color-corrected the anime portions to closer align with the original footage.

The Memorial Edition updates can be found here.

I recently replaced the 2017 anime voice with the '97 voice actor using AI. I really disliked the replacement actor they had, as he was raspy and trying to sound villainous. Lots of credit to @promptpirate for his help with this.

I recently replaced the 2017 anime voice with the '97 voice actor using AI. I really disliked the replacement actor they had, as he was raspy and trying to sound villainous. Lots of credit to @promptpirate for his help with this.
Griffiths VA is great here but it sounds a bit deeper and masculine for griffith.
And sadly i cant watch the redux on vimeo it says sony(japan) claims it on their copyright

Top Bottom