BERSERK Reunion (2017)

Stumbled across something a few days ago, I don't think someone on this site has managed to share it at the moment. Gonna quickly share a trailer along with a statement from who seems to be the director (Cesar Cross) and some miscellaneous links. So far it seems fairly... Interesting. But that trailer did not leave a very good first impression, not a big fan of the occcasional WUBS to fade to black I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMijL5tbYk

Thank you all for the initial love and support you've shown for this project. We appreciate the constructive criticism and actually do listen. I've read the entire Berserk manga at least 20 times over the past 15 years and it is by far my favorite story of all time. The release of this teaser trailer is a calculated move on what though may be a very ambitious goal, is also a very realistic and achievable one. I know deep down to the core of my soul that a Berserk live action series can work, but only on a very high level and budget. For this to work, there WILL have to be some slight character design alterations. I know that I will receive initial backlash and hatred for this, but just how Christopher Nolan stuck to his guns when changing the design of the Joker in The Dark Knight, I will stick to my guns and I am prepared for the long road ahead. It is also very important for you all to know this. I will NEVER compromise the real reasons that we all love Berserk for: the deep philosophical concepts, the careful details and attention to character development, the true SOUL of the story and emotional journeys the characters go through when they experience their horrific and beautiful moments. I will not shy away from any of this. If this project is successful and the dream is realized, I will never compromise the integrity of the soul of Berserk. It is not in my nature to sell out. So I ask you all, be patient. There is a method to all this madness.

http://www.berserkreunionproject.com/
https://twitter.com/TheCesarCross

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Utter garbage from someone trying to make money/get famous off the back of Berserk. All illegally, of course.

D

Dragon Warrior

I've seen this before. And if the Guts actor is the one you linked in twitter. I don't really see he fits to play as Guts..

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I think I'll stick with the animation, which looks way better then what is "offered" in that pseudo teaser... (as other media then the manga of course, the manga is the ultimate source and probably the only thing worth checking out)

I dunno guys, looks like it's canon to the 1997 anime since he uploaded the entire series in HD (16:9, cropped) on his YouTube channel. I like how he says it "would live on HBO or NETFLIX", like he's really confident that it looks like quality stuff. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I dunno guys, looks like it's canon to the 1997 anime since he uploaded the entire series in HD (16:9, cropped) on his YouTube channel.

Yep... Just another opportunist professing his love and dedication to Berserk while blithely pilfering it.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
When will people realise you cannot do justice to a manga/anime by doing live-action " movies. " They tried with Dragonball and many others, they failed. Why should this be any different?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Feeblecursedone said:
When will people realise you cannot do justice to a manga/anime by doing live-action " movies. " They tried with Dragonball and many others, they failed. Why should this be any different?

I imagine the folks working on this must have been encouraged by the recent DBZ fan-project that covered some of the material from that Trunks OVA. I have a feeling that that team had access to better resources, though.

Anyway, with regards to the trailer, I got a little too embarrassed to finish. According to the Youtube comments, the second trailer will be much more "attention-grabbing." I'm holding onto my socks! :troll:

D

Dragon Warrior

Eluvei said:
I dunno guys, looks like it's canon to the 1997 anime since he uploaded the entire series in HD (16:9, cropped) on his YouTube channel. I like how he says it "would live on HBO or NETFLIX", like he's really confident that it looks like quality stuff. :ganishka:
I hope he's not serious, I thought this thing is just fan made will be uploaded in his channel. I mean i have 90% of feelings it will suck. I won't watch it anyway either it will be in Youtube or anywhere else.

This is so pointless. Berserk is simply not a story that would translate well into a live-action medium. Also, it's difficult for me to visualize Guts in live-action without it looking weird, but maybe that's just me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Lawliet said:
This is so pointless. Berserk is simply not a story that would translate well into a live-action medium.

Are you SURE about that?

I'm pretty sure my mandragora zombie movie scriptment was the winner and still the way to go given the likely budgetary constraints. Also, I still haven't gotten my $500 deposit back from Skully for the "submission fee." :ganishka:

I don't think a live action movie of the Berserk Manga is impossible. It's just that you would be looking at a Lord of the Rings size budget and pacing just to make it work well which is incredibly unrealistic. If I ever become a billionaire I might consider trying, but it would certainly be a money pit as the fan base is not nearly large enough to make it profitable. Besides Kentaro Miura would certainly demand it be released in Japan first and rightfully so.

Going by the site, it seems that the guy is attempting to help launch a live-action TV series in the vein of Game of Thrones. The project he is proposing is a "proof of concept", meaning a rough pilot that will be pitched to interested parties (i.e. HBO and Netflix) which will allegedly lead to an interested party that will finance a higher budget full season.

Only problem here is that Muira or whoever has live-action adaptation rights almost certainly have not given the greenlight for any sort of live-action TV series. Well that and this project is entirely amateur--they'd need some sort of real connection to the industry to have any hope of a successful pitch outside of the bottomfeeding web streaming crowd.

Top Bottom