Berserk Saga Project News

I remember when the last Evangelion movie You Can (Not) Advance was released in theatres it was pretty much just word of mouth as far as details went for a few days. Then there was eventually a terrible, terrible, video camera rip that some one snuck into the theatre with no subtitles. That was the only way to view it for months I remember and I didn't even bother.

I'm pretty sure Berserk will have a similar circumstance for awhile. :sad:

Draculoid said:
I'm not well versed enough in my history to really know/remember what most of the achitecture and the like is inspired by in Berserk (I know there are lots of different examples) but maybe they got a particular French vibe from some of the settings/themes/characters?

Considering the Official* Map of Midland, I'd say that's a strong possibility. :ganishka:

*By "official," I mean "completely made-up."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
I'm not well versed enough in my history to really know/remember what most of the achitecture and the like is inspired by in Berserk (I know there are lots of different examples) but maybe they got a particular French vibe from some of the settings/themes/characters?

Some of it is of French inspiration, yeah, but I wouldn't say it's predominantly French or anything. Maybe it's because of the hundred-years war and the fact the enemy nation is called "Tudor" (a reference to Britain), I don't know. Honestly I wouldn't look too much into it if I were you.

DirectDK said:
On a side note, I keep getting more and more excited as Feb 4th slowly approaches, but then I stop and remember... that Feb 4th won't mean anything for us non-Japanese residents. How and when will any of us see the movie? Gah.

Well, I've got 4 tickets for the movie, but... No plane ticket to get to the theater. :void: Still, I want to believe that it'll be featured at least in independent theaters in foreign countries within a reasonable time span.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well I finally saw a large mention of Berserk on the morning news right now so I am anxiously waiting for it to come out. I will be going on opening night/day, when ever it comes out. :ubik:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well I finally saw a large mention of Berserk on the morning news right now so I am anxiously waiting for it to come out. I will be going on opening night/day, when ever it comes out. :ubik:

I"m definately quite jealous of you right now Saiya.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Well, I've got 4 tickets for the movie, but... No plane ticket to get to the theater. :void: Still, I want to believe that it'll be featured at least in independent theaters in foreign countries within a reasonable time span.

If I'm lucky enough Fantasia festival will pick it up in Montreal this summer or next summer.( we had tekkon kinkret and the batman short that was made by studio 4c) (and I have already send the link of the trailer many times) Well, a guy can hope.

jackson_hurley said:
If I'm lucky enough Fantasia festival will pick it up in Montreal this summer or next summer.( we had tekkon kinkret and the batman short that was made by studio 4c) (and I have already send the link of the trailer many times) Well, a guy can hope.

If it shows up in Montreal before NYC, heck, I will gladly drive up!!! I have a few friends in Montreal anyways, why not?! :serpico:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I hope it comes to California! If it does come overseas for select theaters im sure it would be showed somewhere here! :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The video site Nico Nico Douga (Japanese equivalent of YouTube, but does a little more), hosted a live stream earlier today featuring a bunch of new promotional material for the movie. They also received a phone call from Miura (!). According to Japanese site 2ch, Miura said that he's now seen the movie, and after it, thanked the director for it. Apparently there was also a short cartoon featuring the God Hand during the live stream. Unclear on the specifics of this. Will post more when I know more.

The stream will be available to premium members of Nico Nico Douga later next week. To be posted here: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv75949877 Premium membership costs about $5/month. I registered one just to get access to the video. :void:

A few other interesting things posted today by the Twitter duo:

-Movie director Toshiyuki Kubo praying to the God Hand: http://twitpic.com/89ct46
-Sign at the entrance to the Berserk Cafe in Shinjuku: http://twitpic.com/89cxfn

Update: Oh! The video is available now! Watching. It's 2 hours. Will post screenshots of anything interesting. Watch this post as it develops. Right now they're playing a variation of the A.I. song, much longer than we've heard so far. If they play Aria, I will record it.
==================

1min: A.I.'s song plays along with the movie title.
3min: they cut to the long trailer
5min: japanese announcer addresses crowd and press going over the schedule for the event. Lots of flashes. Lots of press.
7min: they say they will bring out some of the cast, starting with Guts, also A.I.
they come out along with some guys in full armor. Announcer calls it: MIDDORANDO ARMA. (riiight, buddy) (IMAGE)
8min: I couldn't be more pleased with the guy they chose for Guts. Much deeper, more resonant voice than in the original anime.
9min: He's talking about playing Guts. They joke about how his hairstyle is somewhat similar.
12min: A.I. talks about Guts. No translation, obviously. She has a much more down-to-earth personality than these other marketing dweebs. It's refreshing.
14min: dudes in armor are looking agitated that they have to stand there for so long
16min: One of the armor dudes steps forward and opens his mask. Apparently it's a cast member, or someome important. Hard to tell. Everyone laughs at his jokes.
20min: they pose for a photo, and they bring out the DRAGON SLAYER. (IMAGE) (IMAGE)
22min: It appears the significance of this event is that it's the premiere of their road show promotional tour for the movies. They're going to be doing a similar thing in cities across Japan.
25min: they're wrapping up with this crew. wonder what's next.
27min: A.I. about to perform song live. Will record. (IMAGE)
28min: Lyrics in the second verse, in English: "IF I HAD WIIIIINGS" :void:
30min: climax of the song is just after the part where the current YouTube clip cuts out.
32min: Song concludes. They're taking a long break for press interviews.
38min: They've relocated to the cafe where they're doing interviews with the director, producer, and some other dude.
40min: Just realized, they're all drinking GUTS drink :guts: (IMAGE)
42min: They're taking questions from Nico Nico users now, and the first one was something about why they chose to begin the saga where they did. I can only tell this because theyre talking about "hen," the designator for arcs.
44min: Teasing some brief footage from the opening scene. A cannon ball strikes the side of a building, richochets off, hits where citizens are huddled together, debris fall, the walls shake, camera cuts to a shot of the Holy See insignia wobbling in place. Gotta say, pretty awesome. (IMAGE)
47min: Talking about how the camera is used. More brief footage shown, still around the Bazuso fight. This is a snippet of a long camera sweep around Guts. Doesn't look very natural. Very obviously a 3D model they're panning around, while Guts stays mostly stationary. (IMAGE)
51min: About 8 minutes worth of nothing so far. Just them talking, and me with no Japanese comprehension.
53min: They show the full sequence of Casca attacking Guts. It's interesting. She approaches him on horseback, Guts has to change his guard because he realizes she has her sword drawn in one hand, and in her other hand has the crossbow aimed at him. So he turns his blade so the flat end faces her to guard against the arrow. Neat touch.
62min: More snippets of footage. This time from Guts emerging from his tent after the first duel with Griffith. :judo: 's carving a totem head. (IMAGE)(IMAGE)
64min: Griffith and Guts' second duel. Casca looks quite young, which is well done. (IMAGE)(IMAGE)
69min: Director talking about how they used motion capturing for the main cast during action scenes.
74min: Casca argues with Guts after their first sortie against the Tudor army. "I'm not the same as I was before!" (conflating the dialogue between Guts/Casca/Griffith's scenes) (IMAGE)(IMAGE)
76min: Producers talking about how they worked with Miura. Obviously can't hear specifics.
78min: Remember that scene with Griffith standing on top of the castle, sword raised, triumphant, and how we were trying to determine what scene it was from? Well, it's just a sort of montage as nobles reflect on the Hawks' recent successes. It transitions into this scene, a castle setting, as dialogue from nobles plays over it.: (IMAGE)
94min: They bring out the DS and lay it across the laps of the director/producers. (IMAGE) (IMAGE)
106min: They're reviewing sketches or production cels, or at least, prototype cels of some sort. Interviewer guy is apparently a big Judo fan. Yells out: "JYUU-DOOOOOO?!" when they come across a folder labeled with his name. (IMAGE)
108min: Ah, those sketches just before are keyframes for what the 3D animators base their models around. Example, they show Griffith's hand holding something invisible. It's because the hand is stationary 2D art, but the Beherit itself is a 3D model.
1:47:40: Miura on the phone. Yep. Actually, one of his assistants answered first. Then they went and got Miura. (IMAGE)
1:53:20 Miura really likes dramatic pauses during these questions. The interviewer doesnt seem to know how to handle it.
1:54:42 Miura apparently praises the director, because the guy bows several times in appreciation.
1:57:15 Miura talking about individual characters. Gotta say it's a thrill to hear him say the names of Guts, Casca, Griffith.
1:59:21 Now Miura is talking about the God Hand. Goosebumps over here, folks.
2:00:26 HOLY SHIT, PEOPLE! The producer just whipped out a production print of a page from the upcoming episode. (IMAGE) (IMAGE) (IMAGE). Also. These things are HUGE.
2:01:01 Miura is still on the phone, just laughing at their surprised reactions.
2:02:15 They end the call. Miura's call was about 15 minutes.
2:04:10 Looks like they're wrapping up the show.

Here's a bit of Miura talking (9.7MB mp3): http://skullknight.net/images/miura-interview.mp3

Yep. It's over. No "God Hand Cartoon" or whatever the 2ch guys were talking about. It's possible that when Miura brought up the God Hand, he said something about this. But I don't know what was said... Thanks for tuning in, guys. The talk with Miura and the reveal of the Ep 326 page were easily the most exciting things. Hearing AI perform the full song was nice too. I'll have a low-quality MP3 of that up here soon.

Thanks so much for the live blogging Walter. Lots of cool images, and from your description, it seems like a damn good time! I so wish I was there! And glad to hear that you liked the clips from what you saw. I yearn for the day when I can see this movie!!!

And wow, Miura on the phone. How often does that happen?! So cool. And praise from Miura? The director better bow at least 47 times!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh, so the talk with Miura was featured in the show, nice!! Great job man. And that preview of episode 326 looks awesome!

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx20lDGmmyw&feature=g-u-u&context=G265b68fFUAAAAAAABAA
it seems to be advertising an ATM? :???:

Besides the scene at the very end, its all footage we've already seen

Looks like guts gets his whole body impaled/strengthened by the armor? I wonder how much more guts can take before the armor really consumes him.

On-Topic:
It was really cool imo that they called miura, I heard mangakas dont want that much attention? I mean that they keep to them selfs most of the time...

What a cool way to start today, thanks Walter, I'd hug you if you were next to me. A couple of times. Anyway moving on (!), that totem head looks like Pippin. Man, I wanna try that drink now.

EDIT

DirectDK said:
IncantatioN, if the movie opens in NYC, you better attend as SKULLKNIGHT!!!

On a side note, I keep getting more and more excited as Feb 4th slowly approaches, but then I stop and remember... that Feb 4th won't mean anything for us non-Japanese residents. How and when will any of us see the movie? Gah. I hope my local independent theaters pick up this film! Tekkonkinkreet (also Studio 4C) was released in Japanese in December 2006, and I saw it at a local movie theater with English subs here in NYC in August 2007. That's 8 months after the fact. Man... I don't think I can wait 8 months to see this first Berserk movie. That's just too long...
Haha!! Now that would be awesome, wouldn't it!? Which makes me wonder if I can even sit while wearing the costume :farnese:. I don't expect a theater in NYC to have the print for viewing on Feb 4th, that'll be incredible if it happened. Do you have any contacts/ pals in the theater/ studio industry who can give us some clues about it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a clip of the Miura phone call that's apparently available for non-premium members: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16738039

It's just 2 minutes of the 15 minute conversation. Not the most interesting bit either. But still, in case anyone hasn't heard Miura's voice before, here it is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So, what Miura said about the God Hand.

He was asked about them (the announcer saying we don't know much about them), and he said their story would be shown soon enough. But he added that for him, "soon" can often mean a year. Apart from that, he's currently working on the manga's manuscript, and he said he draws around a page per day.

He commented on how he's interested in stoic characters, for example someone like Casca. He seems to have put everything he likes in her.

He also said he saw the movie of course, he thanked the director very much and said he was impressed (by the first battle scene, the shields and swords, Zodd's appearance among other things). He also jokingly added that since the manga is long running, he's making efforts to live long enough to finish it. At first he expected it to end during his 20s, then his 30s, and now he's even prepared for it to last until his 60s if necessary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
So, what Miura said about the God Hand.

He was asked about them (the announcer saying we don't know much about them), and he said their story would be shown soon enough. But he added that for him, "soon" can often mean a year.
BOOM

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing that, Aaz! :void: :slan: :femto: :ubik:
conradtest.gif

We got thread page bumped, so for anyone who hasn't read yesterday's information, PLEASE stop now and go read the previous page. You won't want to miss the recent news.

Aazealh said:
He was asked about them (the announcer saying we don't know much about them), and he said their story would be shown soon enough. But he added that for him, "soon" can often mean a year. Apart from that, he's currently working on the manga's manuscript, and he said he draws around a page per day.

So that could mean, over a year we will finally reach Elfhelm and the King of the Flower Storm will tell Guts and his party about the Godhand?? Since the King of the Flower Storm is likely the only really interesting character that might know about them that Guts and his party will run into for awhile... I'm sure I am very wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
So that could mean, over a year we will finally reach Elfhelm and the King of the Flower Storm will tell Guts and his party about the Godhand?? Since the King of the Flower Storm is likely the only really interesting character that might know about them that Guts and his party will run into for awhile... I'm sure I am very wrong.
It's the easy conclusion to make, but the revelation could also come from any number of different ways. The Skull Knight, for example. Or it could be a narratively open side-story Chapter, like how Miura handled Serpico and Farnese's backstory in Snow, Flames 1-2.

Top Bottom