Berserk Saga Project News

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
It could have generated more money if it was advertiesed more... one thing I didnt mention was that when i went to the movies... you couldnt even tell that Berserk was playing there. The only mention of it was on the small board next to the cashier of what was playing and the merchandize area which was in a small corner.... no posters, no video previews, no nothing. :judo:

Breaks my heart that Berserk is getting that kind of treatment where Naruto and Bleach get the full deal when their movies come out... granted they have a larger fan base but still. :azan:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
you couldnt even tell that Berserk was playing there. The only mention of it was on the small board next to the cashier of what was playing and the merchandize area which was in a small corner.... no posters, no video previews, no nothing. :judo:
That is really terrible. :mozgus:

you should cosplay as Puck and do some free advertising for Berserk outside the theater!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
I hope we get the results for the second week soon. Already been 10 days so we might get it fast anyway. Hope it made a lot.
Here's the weekend's preliminary box office results, but it's not good. Berserk still not in top 10: http://jpboxofficewatch.tumblr.com/weekend No numbers yet.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Breaks my heart that Berserk is getting that kind of treatment where Naruto and Bleach get the full deal when their movies come out... granted they have a larger fan base but still. :azan:

Raises the question of the medium again. Berserk is a popular manga but it's seinen and I'd characterize the fan relationship to it as more intimate. I mean, if it were as big and accessible as those franchises this adaptation happening wouldn't be such a big deal, or so tenuous. So again, perhaps a major theatrical release wasn't in its best interest from a format or business standpoint. How much of a relative success this would be if it were a Blu-Ray release, not only in Japan, but with all of us foreign fans importing it I wonder? How much more could have been dumped into advertising or production without theatrical expenses, etc? On the other hand, maybe that's backwards and the cache of a theater release meant more money was put into than would have ever been for a video release. I can't pretend to understand the Japanese film market, so maybe it's doing okay for what it is, but we'd naturally want to see it on top. We'll get our chance to help the DVD/Blu-Ray market for it soon enough anyway. :guts:

That makes sense, Griffith.

A random fan once referred to Berserk for it's gore content and how much she liked the 'mindfrakk' (in her words) ending with the Eclipse and Apostles. I bet movie # 3 will gross the most because it'll attract the regular Berserk fans and other anime fans who think the scenario/ gore/ shock element is 'cool'. I wonder - if the TV series was broken up into 4 DVDs and they were sold separately, you think sales of the 4th DVD > sales of the first 3?

Ever since I heard about the new Berserk anime, I was excited about some sort of DVD/BluRay. To me the theatrical release is a cherry on top. I wish it well but I'm excited to buy the DVD/Bluray, and I hope that's what sells exceptionally well.

I have high hopes of the DVD sales boosting the box office for the second movie if they time the home release just right. As said, it's surprising they went down the theatrical route to begin with.

Aazealh said:
Do you have a basis for this assertion?

I think he's just saying that if the total box office gross last weekend was $594,707, it must have made it to at least $600,000 total in a week. That's less than $6,000 since it came out so I'd say it's a pretty safe, if very low, assumption. I'd be surprised if it hasn't pulled in at least another $150,000 since the opening weekend, but we'll what the results say. I'm really interested what happens when it starts going international.

Aazealh said:
Do you have a basis for this assertion?

An episode of 25 minutes costs around 140,000$. I know that things are not totally the same when making a movie, but it should of costed at least 600K $ I think. That's just my opinion though and not a fact, but I doubt I'm wrong

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I wonder if the movie will make a quick release on DVD/Blu-Ray since the second one comes out so soon. Surely it'd make sense from a business standpoint?

SuperVegetto said:
An episode of 25 minutes costs around 140,000$. I know that things are not totally the same when making a movie, but it should of costed at least 600K $ I think. That's just my opinion though and not a fact, but I doubt I'm wrong

I think there are a lot of assumptions here; especially if you only multiply the cost vs. duration. Some of the initial costs may weigh out to be the same and so it doesn't scale with the duration of the film, but I think that ultimately a movie is going to cost significantly more than a 25 minute episode not solely due to it's duration but primarily due to marketing and higher quality demands etc.

Unfortunately this is nothing more than blind speculation and has no evidence to support it. I would like to see some actual budgets for an anime movie of this caliber.

SuperVegetto said:

I think it is unfair to say that all anime series cost the same. It depends on the animation quality such as how many dynamic scenes and frame rate also the length of the series have it is part in dividing the cost for each episode.

you will be surprised to know how some anime series production value cost but this is going out of the discussion thread so I will stop here but the main point is what you are saying can not be taken as a concept for all the Japanese animation.

Griffith said:
Raises the question of the medium again. Berserk is a popular manga but it's seinen and I'd characterize the fan relationship to it as more intimate. I mean, if it were as big and accessible as those franchises this adaptation happening wouldn't be such a big deal, or so tenuous. So again, perhaps a major theatrical release wasn't in its best interest from a format or business standpoint. How much of a relative success this would be if it were a Blu-Ray release, not only in Japan, but with all of us foreign fans importing it I wonder? How much more could have been dumped into advertising or production without theatrical expenses, etc? On the other hand, maybe that's backwards and the cache of a theater release meant more money was put into than would have ever been for a video release. I can't pretend to understand the Japanese film market, so maybe it's doing okay for what it is, but we'd naturally want to see it on top. We'll get our chance to help the DVD/Blu-Ray market for it soon enough anyway. :guts:
totally agree with you. maybe people (aside from hardcore fans like us :iva:) are not than interested in watching a retelling of the golden age arc in cinemas... perhaps it would have been more successful if it were the black swordsman instead of the golden age?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Griffith said:
Some of the items you say are true but I firmly believe that if it were advertised as much as the other stuff, it could produce more revenue. My basis for this is... Japanese people are brand/trend whores. If they see something is big/popular/whatever being advertised on TV or where ever they will go out and see it. Its just the way it is over here.

RaWManiac said:
totally agree with you. maybe people (aside from hardcore fans like us :iva:) are not than interested in watching a retelling of the golden age arc in cinemas... perhaps it would have been more successful if it were the black swordsman instead of the golden age?

How do you know that hardcore Berserk fans were not disappointed that the Black Swordsman was not released first? It is meant as an introduction to the series to fill your head with questions and rise your interest to know what actually happened in the past. I could see some fans getting upset over this as it lessen the impact of the introduction.

Berserk is a huge name in Japan and the sales of the manga show it and I assume that the manga readers knows about this movie. Being hardcore berserk fan has nothing to do with seeing the movie in the cinema.

I'm not sure if a quick release will help the following films to begin with. For all we know they're near finished already. It maybe unlikely that even if the DVD/Bluray did well, that those profits would benieft the following two movies. Its possible, I'm not sure though.

When I first heard about a anime project, I was thinking straight to DVD/Bluray films. These theater releases really are just a cherry on top. I wish the project well in theaters, but I'm really hoping that its the DVD's that do exceptionally well.

Is there any question that the DVD's wouldn't sell well? I just know there was a high demand for a follow up to the classic anime, I don't want to assume that attention will be shifted to a project reboot as well.

Griffith

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Some of the items you say are true but I firmly believe that if it were advertised as much as the other stuff, it could produce more revenue. My basis for this is... Japanese people are brand/trend whores. If they see something is big/popular/whatever being advertised on TV or where ever they will go out and see it. Its just the way it is over here.

Well, then it depends on if a home release would have afforded more or less advertising dollars to make it a "must have" product. Plus, the relative standards of success for those mediums. Of course, the fact that a theatrically released Berserk movie exists is a major victory for the series unto itself.

RaWManiac said:
perhaps it would have been more successful if it were the black swordsman instead of the golden age?
mazinken said:
How do you know that hardcore Berserk fans were not disappointed that the Black Swordsman was not released first? It is meant as an introduction to the series to fill your head with questions and rise your interest to know what actually happened in the past. I could see some fans getting upset over this as it lessen the impact of the introduction.

:casca:

Griffith I saw what you did there :judo: I confess that I responded to this part

RaWManiac said:
totally agree with you. maybe people (aside from hardcore fans like us :iva:) are not than interested in watching a retelling of the golden age arc in cinemas.

Sorry RaWManiac I thought that you were implying that only hardcore are going to see the movie and yes I agree with you that if they started with the black swordsman arc it might preformed better but this also depends on other things.

Griffith

mazinken said:
Griffith I saw what you did there :judo:

No, while your approach was confusing because you essentially agreed with Manic, I was just commending you guys for your Black Swordsman sophistication and not falling under the paradoxical delusion that the Golden Age is the singularly marketable part of the series.

Griffith said:
No, while your approach was confusing because you essentially agreed with Manic, I was just commending you guys for your Black Swordsman sophistication and not falling under the paradoxical delusion that the Golden Age is the singularly marketable part of the series.

I see :griffnotevil: it looks like we three are in the same boat :ganishka:.

The box office results are now posted for last week, but I dunno how to make any sense out of them. It appears that the first film has made a total of $1,348,352 so far, and $334,492 over the weekend, placing it still out of the top 10 in 13th.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=6&currency=us&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

If you compare it to other films that are in it's second week, it looks to be doing pretty well, especially considering how many screens it is being played on (only 93)--I think this is a key factor when looking at these statistics. It also looks like its Change / Average places it in 8th place, at $3,597 (I am not entirely sure what this statistic represents).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RyoGTO said:
The box office results are now posted for last week, but I dunno how to make any sense out of them. It appears that the first film has made a total of $1,348,352 so far, and $334,492 over the weekend, placing it still out of the top 10 in 13th.
Which means it's made $419,153 over the past 5 weekdays. Not bad. That's a steady stream, I'd say.

It also looks like its Change / Average places it in 8th place, at $3,597 (I am not entirely sure what this statistic represents).
That average number is just the total amount made during that weekend divided by number of screens. So basically: How well each theater does.

What's most significant to me about these numbers is that the number of theaters hasn't expanded. Meaning, it's already reached a saturation point. It's truly going to be a decline from here without additional theaters.

Top Bottom