Berserk Saga Project News

Walter said:
Which means it's made $419,153 over the past 5 weekdays. Not bad. That's a steady stream, I'd say.
That average number is just the total amount made during that weekend divided by number of screens. So basically: How well each theater does.

What's most significant thing to me about these numbers is that the number of theaters hasn't expanded. Meaning, it's already reached a saturation point. It's truly going to be a decline from here without additional theaters.

Does anyone know generally how well a movie like this does in an Japan-only limited release? From what I've read I haven't seen a direct comparison box office-wise to a movie of similar circumstances. I honestly have no clue on the subject but does anyone out there have any idea?

Also as far as the saturation goes, is there any word of them expanding to more theates? I know they envisioned it with an international release in mind so theres still the box office results for wherever else they release it. I'm still very curious to see how they are going to market it and screen it in North America and also how well it will be received. With the Warner Bros backing and the reminders of international release, It may actually be a bigger release than any other anime movie I've seen at my local theatre. Can't even remember the last one, that's if it does make it to those sorts of theatres.

IncantatioN said:
A random fan once referred to Berserk for it's gore content and how much she liked the 'mindfrakk' (in her words) ending with the Eclipse and Apostles. I bet movie # 3 will gross the most because it'll attract the regular Berserk fans and other anime fans who think the scenario/ gore/ shock element is 'cool'.

I agree that the high level of violence and explicit gore in the series does make for a good hook for the uninitiated, even though it may falsely represent the series as a whole. However, I find that the gore and other grittier (and over-the-top) elements of the series is part of what makes the series great--not because they are there, but how Miura artistically depicts them and integrates those elements into the series. If some of the more shocking elements of the series aren't there or aren't adapted right, even if they're sometimes just aesthetic, an element of what makes the series great is lost.

Griffith said:
No, while your approach was confusing because you essentially agreed with Manic, I was just commending you guys for your Black Swordsman sophistication and not falling under the paradoxical delusion that the Golden Age is the singularly marketable part of the series.

Yes, it does get exasperating reading comments on how the the Golden Age arc is where the series "gets good", or worse, the highlight of the series. I love the Black Swordsman Arc and how it introduces you to this man, Guts, and his darkest hour -- heck, I even have a soft spot for the '80s drawing style Miura uses through those arcs.

Not to mention it is near perfectly suited for a film adaptation in terms of length and a filmic content. Even if the anime team found a way to botch it, it would still at least be a fresh adaptation. However, it may be smart in retrospect to get the familiar Golden Age content out of the way to pave the way for Berserk content that has yet to be adapted--assuming the project survives that long.

I also agree with those that feel another Golden Age arc is a bit too much of a retread. Still, I look forward to seeing the content of the 3rd movie, which if adapted faithfully, should cover much never-before-animated material that the old TV series skipped, glossed over, or largely rewrote (pretty much everything surrounding Griffith's rescue).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Does anyone know generally how well a movie like this does in an Japan-only limited release? From what I've read I haven't seen a direct comparison box office-wise to a movie of similar circumstances. I honestly have no clue on the subject but does anyone out there have any idea?

Those two links may help you get some perspective.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-04/2009-top-anime-movies-at-japanese-box-office
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-03/top-anime-movies-at-japanese-box-office/2011

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Roderick said:
Still, I look forward to seeing the content of the 3rd movie, which if adapted faithfully, should cover much never-before-animated material that the old TV series skipped, glossed over, or largely rewrote (pretty much everything surrounding Griffith's rescue).

Don't forget a bit of post-Eclipse stuff, as someone else mentioned earlier. There's no way they're ending the movie on the same horrid cliffhanger the TV series did, so it'll be nice to see some Skully and Black Swordsman action, even if just for a few minutes. :badbone:

Saephon said:
Don't forget a bit of post-Eclipse stuff, as someone else mentioned earlier. There's no way they're ending the movie on the same horrid cliffhanger the TV series did, so it'll be nice to see some Skully and Black Swordsman action, even if just for a few minutes. :badbone:

You know, I resent that comment! I really love that cliffhanger. Every time I watch the anime I feel that it adds a great finishing touch of dread to the horrific situation--and makes it personal for me too! That horrified feeling stayed with me for so long upon my first viewing--until that gnawing feeling inside wore me down enough and I was compelled to do some research to see whether there was any explanation to it all online. That was the point in which I found out about Miura's glorious manga! I also have to admit that I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing the look on my friend's faces at the end of Episode 25--and the silence in the room after it ends is golden.

Anyway, that is getting off topic, but as far as seeing what happens after the Eclipse in the third movie, I wonder how far they will go?

Also, I am not going to get my hopes up about more of the manga content being included in the third movie vs the classic anime;not until I see more previews, etc. Because as it stands right now, I have seen nothing about Wyald or any other character/scene that gives me any inclination to believe they will include those parts that they left out of the classic anime (aside from some of Skull Knight's roles).

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Haha, I suppose I should clarify. I think it was very effective back then at getting people to want to read the manga, and that is always welcome in my opinion. I just mean they would piss off nearly everyone if they ended these movies the same exact way. We didn't wait all this time to see a prettier, shinier vision of the same damn thing we already.....oh wait, maybe that's what this is. :judo:

Saephon said:
Haha, I suppose I should clarify. I think it was very effective back then at getting people to want to read the manga, and that is always welcome in my opinion. I just mean they would piss off nearly everyone if they ended these movies the same exact way. We didn't wait all this time to see a prettier, shinier vision of the same damn thing we already.....oh wait, maybe that's what this is. :judo:

LOL I just had a good laugh thinking about them ending these movies with the same cliffhanger--that would be terrific.

Saephon said:

Oh, yeah, that too. They darn well better end it after where the Golden Age Arc is suppose to end. I'm pretty confident it will be closer to the manga since they didn't make the mistake of writing out the Skull Knight from the series. Plus, footage of the rescue is shown in the opening credits :badbone:.

Edi

Sorry for my bad English...
New art: http://news.mynavi.jp/articles/2012/02/16/studio4c/

010l.jpg

009l.jpg

008l.jpg

007l.jpg

006l.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RyoGTO said:
Very cool! Even had a picture with the Tower of Rebirth in it. Thanks for that.
Indeed, you can also see a glimpse of the character design for Griffith after he'd been imprisoned for a year in the lower left:

anime-tower1.jpg

Thx for nice pictures!
I was just thinking... They said that 2D+3D is kinda new and experimental. But how about Appleseed 1 and 2 anime ? is it 2D+3D also ? Its graphics seem so neat to me. Would this kind of graphic (like in Appleseed) suit to Berserk, how do you think ?

voodoo_sh said:
Thx for nice pictures!
I was just thinking... They said that 2D+3D is kinda new and experimental. But how about Appleseed 1 and 2 anime ? is it 2D+3D also ? Its graphics seem so neat to me. Would this kind of graphic (like in Appleseed) suit to Berserk, how do you think ?

Appleseed (2004) is a fully 3D movie using cell-shaded style. Right now I think it is hard for me to appreciate a fully 3D cg berserk because I am still spoiled with the 70's-90's period. Still I think this technology is still young and has yet to reach it's full potential may be in the future I would be more open minded about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=605

I found this pretty funny. The marketing department behind the Berserk movies is gearing up for a big push for Movie 2, airing June 23. Starting in March they'll start selling advance tickets to the movie. These early adopters will receive "eclipse glasses" with a Beherit printed on it that'll allow you to witness the solar eclipse occurring on May 21 without damaging your eyes. :badbone:

Walter said:
http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=605

I found this pretty funny. The marketing department behind the Berserk movies is gearing up for a big push for Movie 2, airing June 23. Starting in March they'll start selling advance tickets to the movie. These early adopters will receive "eclipse glasses" with a Beherit printed on it that'll allow you to witness the solar eclipse occurring on May 21 without damaging your eyes. :badbone:

nice one!

SuperVegetto said:
It's been 7 days since the last result of the money the movie is making. Are the new results up yet? How can you check?

Last week Tuesday I was checking periodically, It wasn't up until at least after 4:45PM EST

Top Bottom