Berserk Saga Project News

Aazealh said:
Geez, you didn't lie. It IS rather painful to watch since it goes on for a while (even though it's amputated of the context of her childhood). And they have her dream of it, instead of telling it to Guts... Another puzzling change that lessens the depth of their relationship. Also couldn't help but notice that they have her throw her fucking sword at Guts who's standing 10 meters away while she's in a weakened state (in the manga she throws his dagger, which is a lot more plausible). Always the need to exaggerate everything. Same goes for Griffith's rescue during the flashback sequence. In the manga he slashes the man's ear from behind, then throws his sword down next to Casca, telling her to save herself. But here he just throws his saber down like a spear from what? 25 meters away? And in doing so the scene loses some of its meaningfulness.

I knew I could trust you to spot all the differences from the manga Aaz. As you've said, every change they have made seems very illogical and completely unnecessary. The fact Casca's past is now a dream sequence makes an odd change, which could be argued (not with much justification) that they did it to fit in with the running time, but the changes for Griffith throwing down his sword and changing the dagger for the sword are just stupid. It seems that Studio 4C are making these changes just for the sake of making them, not because they think it will hold any benefit to the production.

I REALLY hope a renowned Japanese critic really lays into Studio 4C for the changes they have made, so that they take note before they start on everything post Golden Age to make sure they actually make good on their word to make a faithful adaptation. I know they're capable of good animation, they just need to make sure the pieces fit together.

JezzaX said:
EDIT: I've taken the liberty to put it up on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5YfFyn0N0&feature=youtu.be If any mods deem this as unsuitable for any reason, please do accept my apologies and remove as necessary.

Thanks for the link JezzaX!!! Yeah, the shaky cam / slow framerate got excessive by the end of the sequence. At least it was a bit more in depth than Guts' flashback in the first movie. I actually really enjoyed the two music cues in this clip! The music during the flashback and then the acoustic version of that theme fit much tighter emotionally than some of the music in the first movie, in my opinion. Interesting that they chose this as the clip to include with YA. Hope more footage comes out in the coming days!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Interesting that they chose this as the clip to include with YA. Hope more footage comes out in the coming days!
It's in Young Animal, so I think I know why they chose this partitcular one. :casca:

DirectDK said:
Thanks for the link JezzaX!!! Yeah, the shaky cam / slow framerate got excessive by the end of the sequence. At least it was a bit more in depth than Guts' flashback in the first movie. I actually really enjoyed the two music cues in this clip! The music during the flashback and then the acoustic version of that theme fit much tighter emotionally than some of the music in the first movie, in my opinion. Interesting that they chose this as the clip to include with YA. Hope more footage comes out in the coming days!

I think Des Liens Solides is still my most favourite track on the whole of the first soundtrack, I was really happy when I heard the acoustic version on the CD that came with the Blu Ray and to hear it in this clip also made it marginally better as a whole :iva:

Aazealh said:
But here he just throws his saber down like a spear from what? 25 meters away? And in doing so the scene loses some of its meaningfulness.
Maybe they wanted to make up for not including Zodd sword throwing scene :ganishka:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Hated it. Number one, I hate that choppy shit and 2nd, I hate the fact that this is dreamt by her. I get that they were trying to do something similar to how they handled Guts' early years, but I didn't like that either.

So irritating. A part of me hopes they stop after the 3rd movie.

What the deuce was that? That was one awful adaptation of the Casca/Griffith flashback, and this is coming from someone who at least saw some artistic merit in the Guts flashback from Part 1.

That shaky cam/"slow motion" effect (more like lag effect) with some forced audio filtering that's suppose to pass as a dream-like state was very poor. It honestly looked like a sleazy spaghetti western knockoff combined with all of those added scenes of Casca getting punched in the face and the ear slice gushing with blood. It's like they're trying to turn this film into a camp "classic." It doesn't help there is no context as to why Casca is chased and raped since there is no establishing the man as a noble instead of some random degenerate countryman--of course, causing the memorable denouncement of the noble by Griffith to be removed. Without the added significance and details regarding that attempted rape and rescue, what's left comes across as nothing more than cheap exploitation of Casca's childhood.

The nearly complete loss of the Griffith/adolescent Casca flashback is almost unforgivable. That was some very significant character and plot exposition, particularly in relation to Griffith. It also has me seriously concerned whether or not Gennon will even appear at all. Also on the cutting room floor are those crucial interactions with Guts listening to Casca's story as she goes deeper into her past experiences with Griffith and the Hawks.

Lastly, those cel shaded mercenaries. Yeesh, even in that low-res clip they looked like some low-rent animatronics that the local Chuck E Cheese would put to shame.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
It also has me seriously concerned whether or not Gennon will even appear at all.

He does, we've seen shots of him. Who knows what his role will be though. I imagine they'll manage to fuck up his relationship with Griffith somehow.

SuperVegetto said:
The DVD/BD sales together are past 10k if anyone cares

I'm pretty sure no one does.

Edi

Sorry for my bad English...
Berserk Golden Age Arc I - The Beginning - Special TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDP4DtBHF2A
http://youtu.be/u8Hn-jyYQtY ( look at the new clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Hn-jyYQtY&feature=player_detailpage#t=1173s )

Berserk Golden Age Arc I - Extra from BD:
http://youtu.be/K6qstyyIpDk

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think that 2 remaining movies will feel like a big highlight just like the first one. I have lost my faith in studio4c. The only thing why I'm gonna keep on watching are some scenes, like eclipse... I'm curious :femto:

Edi said:
( look at the new clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Hn-jyYQtY&feature=player_detailpage#t=1173s )

...the flying sword ricochet near the beginning of that clip wasn't in the manga, was it? Because it looks ridiculous. The manga has so many creative maneuvers and kills in those scenes, why do they feel the need to invent stupid crap like that for the film?

3D Adon looks like a Muppet. Also, watching these clips I'm under the impression that the film version does not have hand-drawn versions of Adon and Boscone -- only 3D, like Zodd's beast form in the first part. If true, what a let down considering how accomplished the art and animation for this film can be. Not to mention the 3D doesn't even approach the manga art to any degree. Sad, because they seem show of 90% 3-D footage in that clip

Berserk Golden Age Arc I - Extra from BD:
http://youtu.be/K6qstyyIpDk

More of an even mix of 3D and digital cel animation. Easier on the eyes in parts. The 3d looks horrid on a few of those lips however, with an utter lack of detail--just solid colors. Thankfully Gennon is 2D in all of these shots. The viewing public was spared an otherwise gruesome spectacle.

Seems they're doing more of those Guts and Griffith drink promotions

news0614_2.jpg

I don't know if they contain alcohol, but if they had any sense, they would make them really high in volume to make sure people are fully intoxicated before watching the film in theatres in order for them to care a lot less about how rubbish it is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pirkaf 2000 said:
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think that 2 remaining movies will feel like a big highlight just like the first one.

Unfortunately you only sound realistic here.

Roderick said:
...the flying sword ricochet near the beginning of that clip wasn't in the manga, was it? Because it looks ridiculous. The manga has so many creative maneuvers and kills in those scenes, why do they feel the need to invent stupid crap like that for the film?

Nope. In the manga Guts blocks the arrow with his hand just before it strikes his face, which is already quite an impressive feat in itself, then he lunges and plunges his sword in the shooter's face before the guy can even react. But you raise an interesting point: they went out of their way to hire an expert so that the fights looked accurate and real. Why then would they replace a plausible yet impressive scene with a segment of the sort? Just so they wouldn't have to show Guts rushing to get the guy? Shaving 4 seconds off the movie?

Aazealh said:
Nope. In the manga Guts blocks the arrow with his hand just before it strikes his face, which is already quite an impressive feat in itself, then he lunges and plunges his sword in the shooter's face before the guy can even react. But you raise an interesting point: they went out of their way to hire an expert so that the fights looked accurate and real. Why then would they replace a plausible yet impressive scene with a segment of the sort? Just so they wouldn't have to show Guts rushing to get the guy? Shaving 4 seconds off the movie?

I'm friends with Jay Noyes on Facebook, he's been fairly communicative before when asking him some things, but obviously has to keep some things to himself. I feel tempted to ask him who had this creative idea to volley a sword and why they thought it was necessary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I'm friends with Jay Noyes on Facebook, he's been fairly communicative before when asking him some things, but obviously has to keep some things to himself. I feel tempted to ask him who had this creative idea to volley a sword and why they thought it was necessary.
Not a bad idea, but if you're serious about asking the guy, you should probably be a little more general about the question. Give him a fair out, and he might answer it. My suggestion:

You were hired as a consultant to ensure the quality of the swordplay was realistic. Did you have input on every combat scene, or did they sometimes do their own thing, without consulting you? Are you comfortable with the final product?

Aazealh said:
Unfortunately you only sound realistic here.
I already said that I don't like the movie, but I do think there are some scenes that are ok. For example Guts & Adonis scene is nicely done. Who knows, maybe there will be some quality scenes in future movies. As a berserk fan, I hope they will make good job with eclipse, and some other scenes.

JezzaX said:
Seems they're doing more of those Guts and Griffith drink promotions

news0614_2.jpg

I don't know if they contain alcohol, but if they had any sense, they would make them really high in volume to make sure people are fully intoxicated before watching the film in theatres in order for them to care a lot less about how rubbish it is.

Does it say more about me or this anime project that these Berserk-themed drinks and dishes excited me the most about this project? When they released the menu I thought it'd be awesome to go to the cafe, take in the surroundings, and try all the dishes. Oddly enough, I never got the urge to go to a movie theatre and see the films when they released clips...

I am kinda woird about the 3rd movie will they make it more PG-13ish

also what is with that GCI in the 2nd clip while Gut's is doing the 100 Man Fight it looks like a wired 2002 PS2 Game :/

smogass said:
Maybe they wanted to make up for not including Zodd sword throwing scene :ganishka:

Sorry guys, I might have missed this, but has it been confirmed that Zodd does not throw his sword down to Guts in the Doldrey battle? If that is true, I will be absolutely pissed! That was one of my favorite scenes in the entire '97 anime (the music of despair, combined with the awesomeness fo Zodd's forearm flexing as the whip's the sword down). "Guts, take that sword!!!" AGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Man, I hope this isn't left out. How would it even make sense to leave this out?

Anyway, please confirm if this is a fact.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts_100 said:
Sorry guys, I might have missed this, but has it been confirmed that Zodd does not throw his sword down to Guts in the Doldrey battle? If that is true, I will be absolutely pissed! That was one of my favorite scenes in the entire '97 anime (the music of despair, combined with the awesomeness fo Zodd's forearm flexing as the whip's the sword down). "Guts, take that sword!!!" AGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Man, I hope this isn't left out. How would it even make sense to leave this out?

Anyway, please confirm if this is a fact.

No one can confirm it, but based on the footage we have seen of Doldrey, it looks like it might be cut. Guts has the same sword he used in the battle as he has in the duel with Griffith later on.

As neat as the scene is, to me something like that pales in comparison to Griffith's dream speech being truncated down to: "Hey Guts I want to have a kingdom and you're gonna help me, ayup!" in Movie 1. For me, there's already blood in the water here.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Do we still care about this? Haven't seen the first movie (because of all the clear red signs indicating a trainwreck), and won't see the next ones for sure. I mean, if the first one is already fucked, then the others will eventually follow the same unredeemed path).

Walter said:
No one can confirm it, but based on the footage we have seen of Doldrey, it looks like it might be cut. Guts has the same sword he used in the battle as he has in the duel with Griffith later on.

That's too bad if that's the case.

As neat as the scene is, to me something like that pales in comparison to Griffith's dream speech being truncated down to: "Hey Guts I want to have a kingdom and you're gonna help me, ayup!" in Movie 1. For me, there's already blood in the water here.
Fair comment. At the same time, Griffith's fountain scene with Charlotte kind of covers his ambition and dreams so perhaps they were thinking that was enough.

Top Bottom