Berserk Saga Project News

June 23-24
Weekend Estimates

1 (1) Snow White and the Huntsman (Toho-Towa) ¥189,733,000 ($2.6 million), -37.5%, Week 2
2 (2) Glow of Fireflies (Toho) ¥157,417,000 ($2 million), -33.4%, Week 3
3 (3) MIB 3 (Toho-Towa) ¥116,334,000 ($1.5 million), -43.8%, Week 5
4 (4) Thermae Romae (Toho) ¥87,960,000 ($1.1 million), -42.1%, Week 9
5 (new) LOVE, Masao-kun Ga Iku (Shochiku) ¥71,956,000 ($900,000), Week 1
6 (5) Dark Shadows (Warner Bros.) ¥41,626,000 ($520,000), -45.6%, Week 6
7 (new) Berserk The Golden Age Arc II (Warner Bros.) ¥27,913,000 ($350,000), Week 1
8 (7) We Bought a Zoo (FOX) ¥22,464,000 ($280,000), -58.4%, Week 3
9 (8) Girls (Toho) ¥20,649,000 ($260,000), -57.7%, Week 5
10 (9) Sadako 3D (Kadokawa Pictures) ¥20,069,000 ($250,000), -53%, Week 7

Box office numbers obviously http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/3478-japan-box-office-623-24-weekend-ranking-top-4-remain-unchanged-spider-man-previews/page__st__140#entry324283

I remember Movie 1 debuted around the $590K/ $595K mark, don't recall if that amount was only for the weekend or for the 1st week. If both are weekend figures, Movie 2's gross so far has dropped by 40% in comparison.

IncantatioN said:
I remember Movie 1 debuted around the $590K/ $595K mark, don't recall if that amount was only for the weekend or for the 1st week. If both are weekend figures, Movie 2's gross so far has dropped by 40% in comparison.

Obviously since it's movie 2 and people who haven't seen the first didn't go to see this one. And there's people who have been disappointed with the first etc...

It's sad the the movies suck but on the other hand I'm relieved that this means Berserk isn't going to become a mainstream manga with all the fandom wanks, shipping wars and so on (ever been on tumblr or lifejournal?). :ubik:

H

hellrasinbrasin

I know one thing for sure as I've been informed by a friend that works at Viz that Viz is on the hunt as they have been notified of the film being streamed online.

:daiba:

hellrasinbrasin said:
I know one thing for sure as I've been informed by a friend that works at Viz that Viz is on the hunt as they have been notified of the film being streamed online.

:daiba:

It is so unbelievable that they would stream the film online! I bet it came to them as a shock

SuperVegetto said:
And the " this one's for my horse " punch that was another terrible and unneeded change.

Yeah, especially since Guts doesn't kill her horse in the Manga.

EDIT: Guys, does anyone think that these movies have (or could further) hinder Miura's progress on the Manga?

I'm not just talking about the movies not being successful either critically or financially, but also the time that Miura has spent on the movies vs Manga (if any), and could a negative perception of the films change / alter his mindset about future Manga volumes?

My biggest concern is the continuation of the Manga, and and eventual ending to the story. Just hoping that none of this movie stuff messes with the original intent of telling the BErserk story - the Manga

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts_100 said:
Guys, does anyone think that these movies have (or could further) hinder Miura's progress on the Manga?

I'm not just talking about the movies not being successful either critically or financially, but also the time that Miura has spent on the movies vs Manga (if any), and could a negative perception of the films change / alter his mindset about future Manga volumes?

My biggest concern is the continuation of the Manga, and and eventual ending to the story. Just hoping that none of this movie stuff messes with the original intent of telling the BErserk story - the Manga
We don't know for sure that Miura spent any time helping with the movie adaptations, and certainly not enough time to derail his work on the manga. Either way, the movies are not a reflection of the quality of the manga. Anyone who thought otherwise, well, they probably wouldn't have stuck around anyway.

As far as the impact of these movies on the overall perception of Berserk, I see this as a zero sum, not a net loss. The only potential danger I see is that when a title like this goes big, it only gets a chance or two. You can't hit that same chord twice without resistance. And in my opinion, Studio 4°C blew Berserk's chance for the big screen. That being said, it's hardly a loss, because I don't think it was ever very well suited to a theatrical release.

H

hellrasinbrasin

And with that said I have to agree with Walter. Berserk is has and will only be acceptable in a serialized format on TV as it has shown to be the only format to adapt Berserk respectfully.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Berserk is has and will only be acceptable in a serialized format on TV as it has shown to be the only format to adapt Berserk respectfully.

I disagree. I think OVAs would be better suited for an adaptation. And I think a Black Swordsman feature film could have been successfully pulled off. That would have been the smart way.

Guts_100 said:
Just hoping that none of this movie stuff messes with the original intent of telling the BErserk story - the Manga

I don't see why it would.

The scene at the river with Griffith washing himself and then Casca hugging him is cut too? That also means the flashback with that little boy from the band of the hawk that died is gone too. Two great scenes gone
They're making the characters without any personality at all. This sucks...

H

hellrasinbrasin

Aazealh said:
I disagree. I think OVAs would be better suited for an adaptation.

True. I would like to see a 3rd adaption attempted for Berserk at some point. So which ever format it returns in be it OVA or a series it is my hope that that studio uses Studio 4c as a reminder on how not to adapt Berserk.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
After reading all of the reviews of Movie 2, I feel even better about my decision to not watch it. :guts:

Despite how bad I thought Movie 1 was, overall, I still didn't think they'd cut out such essential scenes from Movie 2. I guess I was in denial, just like a lot of other folks were.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Guys, where's Wyald?
He wasn't due to be shown in this movie, which ends around mid-Volume 9. Wyald was introduced at the end of Volume 10, in response to Griffith being rescued.

Whether he'll be cut or not won't be known until promotional materials begin coming out for the next movie, due out in winter. You know, the season when things tend to die.

H

hellrasinbrasin

VPCG-84926.jpg

01. After the Battle
02. Et Voici Guts
03. Son Cauchemar
04. Blood and Guts
05. La Bataille pour Doldrey
06. More Death and Silence
07. Boscorn
08. Tout pour la Victoire!
09. Griffith's Dream =Doldrey mix=
10. My Brother
11. Hundred Years War
12. Flute Silencieuse 01
13. Le Retour Triomphal
14. Le Bal du Royaume `Midland'
15. Flute Silencieuse 02
16. Rituel de Separation
17. L'Amour Impitoyable
18. Suite:Larmes de Tristesse?No7 d' Essai sur le doigte du violoncelle
19. Eschatologie
20. Suite `Blood and Guts'
21. Le Debut d'la Fin
22. Des Liens Solides

Source: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPCG-84926

hellrasinbrasin said:
VPCG-84926.jpg

01. After the Battle
02. Et Voici Guts
03. Son Cauchemar
04. Blood and Guts
05. La Bataille pour Doldrey
07. Boscorn
08. Tout pour la Victoire!
10. My Brother
11. Hundred Years War
12. Flute Silencieuse 01
13. Le Retour Triomphal
14. Le Bal du Royaume `Midland'
15. Flute Silencieuse 02
16. Rituel de Separation
17. L'Amour Impitoyable
18. Suite:Larmes de Tristesse?No7 d' Essai sur le doigte du violoncelle
19. Eschatologie
20. Suite `Blood and Guts'
21. Le Debut d'la Fin
22. Des Liens Solides

Source: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPCG-84926

just out of curiosity why are some of the tracks listed in French?
and just for the hell of it they translate to
01. After the Battle
02. and here's Guts
03. His Nightmare
04. Blood and Guts
05. The battle Doldrey
07. Boscorn
08. All For Victory!
10. My Brother
11. Hundred Years War
12. Silent Flute 01
13. The Triumphant return
14. The Royal's Ball `Midland'
15. Silent Flute 02
16. Ritual of Separation
17. Ruthless Love
18. Continued:Weapons of Sadness?No7 essay on the fingering of the Cello
19. Eschatology
20. Continued `Blood and Guts'
21. The Beginning of the End
22. Some Solid Links

H

hellrasinbrasin

Viz Hosts 4°C Founder Tanaka, Berserk Showing at Comic-Con Int'l
berserkgoldenagearc-movie1-mainvisual-withlogocopy.jpg

Viz Media announced on Monday that it will host Eiko Tanaka, founder, president and CEO of Studio 4°C, at Comic-Con International in July. Tanaka produced a number of highly acclaimed anime features such as My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Memories, and Tekkonkinkreet. Her animation production company, Studio 4°C, is producing the Berserk film trilogy.

Tanaka will appear at Viz's booth on July 13 to help promote the North American release of Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg of the King. Tanaka will then join the Viz Media staff for a Berserk production panel and interview on Friday, July 13 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m, followed by a sneak preview of Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey.

Viz will wrap up its Berserk promotion with an exclusive early screening of Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg of the King film from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. on the same day.

Comic-Con International: San Diego 2012 runs from Thursday, July 12 to Sunday, July 15 at the San Diego Convention Center.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-26/viz-hosts-4c-founder-tanaka-berserk-showing-at-comic-con-intl

So for those who want to respectfully ask how his studio collectively dropped the ball with Berserk you now know the day to do so.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
puppet12ca said:
just out of curiosity why are some of the tracks listed in French?

They probably think it's cool, while in truth something like "Le Debut d'la Fin" sounds like it's uttered by a hillbilly. Terribly inappropriate.

puppet12ca said:
and just for the hell of it they translate to

There are mistakes in your translation. Notably: The Kingdom's Ball & Tears of Sadness.

hellrasinbrasin said:
So for those who want to respectfully ask how his studio collectively dropped the ball with Berserk you now know the day to do so.

Let's hit 'em hard guys! :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
They probably think it's cool, while in truth something like "Le Debut d'la Fin" sounds like it's uttered by a hillbilly. Terribly inappropriate.

There are mistakes in your translation. Notably: The Kingdom's Ball & Tears of Sadness.

Let's hit 'em hard guys! :ganishka:

the kingdom I could possibly understand as I interpreted royaume as a royal or noble rather than a kingdom personally i though a the reference to an individual fit better than kingdom

as for l'armes that does translate to weapons or more specifically the weapons how you got tears from that I'm curious simply because I've
never heard tears referred to in that manner(mind you in most instances the act of crying rather that tears is addressed)
any other mistakes feel free to share

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
puppet12ca said:
the kingdom I could possibly understand as I interpreted royaume as a royal or noble rather than a kingdom personally i though a the reference to an individual fit better than kingdom

It's about Midland. Midland is a kingdom. I'm not saying "royal ball" wouldn't make sense, but that's just not what the title is.

puppet12ca said:
as for l'armes that does translate to weapons

The word is "larmes", which means "tears". "Armes" means "arms"/"weapons", but you wouldn't use "l'" with it, you'd use "les", making it "les armes". It is definitely tears here. Wouldn't make any sense with the word "weapons" anyway.

puppet12ca said:
any other mistakes feel free to share

Well it's off-topic, but you missed "for" in "The battle for Doldrey". As for "suite", I believe it refers to a musical suite here rather than meaning it's a continuation of a previous track. If you want to practice your French, there's an old thread I made long ago in Shooting the Breeze dedicated to that purpose.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding the soundtrack, many tracks are reprisals from the first movie. I wonder if these are variations on the former tracks, or simply repeats.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
puppet12ca said:
as for l'armes that does translate to weapons or more specifically the weapons how you got tears from that I'm curious simply because I've
never heard tears referred to in that manner(mind you in most instances the act of crying rather that tears is addressed)

Sorry but you're wrong Larme de tristesse (without an apostrophe) means tears. we can say tears of sadness in french. For you can also say Tears of joy.

Edit : Aaz beat me to it! damn it :)

jackson_hurley said:
Sorry but you're wrong Larme de tristesse (without an apostrophe) means tears. we can say tears of sadness in french. For you can also say Tears of joy.

Edit : Aaz beat me to it! damn it :)

yeah I see where I screwed up my bad though honestly the word larmes is new to me

Top Bottom