Berserk Saga Project News

Walter said:
This whole conversation reminds me of Dark Tower book 5, for anyone who's followed that series. When Roland, a very Guts-like character ... begins to dance. That was pretty much the end of that series for me :ganishka:

:ganishka: For me it was when
King wrote himself in

DirectDK said:
And SK vs Zodd. OH MAN, CAN'T WAIT.

I know right. I can watch that last bit of the latest trailer (2 seconds of SK) over and over again set to Aria.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Guts and Casca dancing together is a very cute thing in theory. In a sort of "that would never ever happen, but this is a couple I love very much so I get giddy at the idea of them doing 'cute couple' things" way. I think I'd fully enjoy that scene if it was one they made just as a random extra and wasn't even a part of the movie. Then again, we don't even know if they're dancing yet.

The visuals are cool in movie 3 so far. I think the only way I can enjoy these movies is by admiring the cool looking stuff.

Walter said:
Just heard back from forum member Starkodama, one of the few members who saw Movie 2 in theaters. She shared her review of Movie 2 earlier in the thread. She told me there is indeed a little dance scene between Guts and Casca.

"YES, Casca and Guts did dance together in the second movie, and I remember that scene feeling unnecessarily long and pointless. ^^;;"

Well that's just not even funny. I can't imagine Miura sitting through the whole movie. I feel like something went horribly wrong. At this point they're just rewriting the story and butchering every scene.

I guess this is what happens with no oversight from Miura. At least in the last anime they consulted with him before dropping Puck and the Skullknight, if I remember correctly from the interviews (edit: from the extras section of the TV anime).

RaffoBaffo said:
http://special.movies.yahoo.co.jp/detail/20121009121674/
Oh shit, that trailer was nicely put together. The only drawback being the Disney/family home video announcer. It was the 1960s all over again where nearly everything sword-and-sandal had a kids' matinee announcer over the trailer, and this guy definitely fits the stereotype.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
Oh shit, that trailer was nicely put together. The only drawback being the Disney/family home video announcer. It was the 1960s all over again where nearly everything sword-and-sandal had a kids' matinee announcer over the trailer, and this guy definitely fits the stereotype.
Then you should watch this version, edited and uploaded by forum member DirectDK: http://youtu.be/apzq3USq0XY

Walter said:
Just heard back from forum member Starkodama, one of the few members who saw Movie 2 in theaters. She shared her review of Movie 2 earlier in the thread. She told me there is indeed a little dance scene between Guts and Casca.

"YES, Casca and Guts did dance together in the second movie, and I remember that scene feeling unnecessarily long and pointless. ^^;;"

Well crap... :sad:

I hope it has least comes off as intentionally awkward and shows that neither of them really fit in that kind of situation.

Please?

Walter said:

This makes me very angry, they are removing original content - epic scenes like bonfire of dreams, Zodd throwing his sword (changing Boscone fight), but at the same time they are introducing new scenes that are changing characters that we all love.

WTF?

Syaoran

I want you to remember
Walter said:

They were trying to stretch the happiness of berserk as long as they could "THIS is all you get, the rest of the ride gets really bumpy"

Saw the dubbed version at nycc last night. All the same voice actors sound the same. Zodd sounds really off. I didn't like his voice at all. I think they said the movie will be released around Nov 15.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Syaoran said:
They were trying to stretch the happiness of berserk as long as they could

That's not a good excuse. There was an assassination plot at the ball, and even before that Guts & Casca's feelings were simply "happiness".

Found this tweet while checking Clara de Porras' twitter
Google translated:

"Also <Berserk Saga Project>, another 5 years! You look happy and also producer Eiko Tanaka could outweigh the expected coach saw the "Advent", depression look nice Negirau director Oka (* '∀ `*) # Berserkfilm Pic.Twitter.Com/45kXuljQ"

Lukis said:
So more Berserk movies.. hmm Yay!! ..I guess ,hope studio will keep improving :carcus:

We can only hope that our strong criticisms are heard by the studio and they improve upon the series if it continues right? I'm not putting a lot of stock into it, but it is possible. Perhaps even the 3rd movie has already been improved upon since the first movies feedback. I'm only suggesting that, I personally think that's unlikely though. Wouldn't it be more likely that all three were already heavily produced by the time the first movie came out? Maybe to the point of no turning back to improve any three of them.

lon3vvolf said:
Saw the dubbed version at nycc last night. All the same voice actors sound the same. Zodd sounds really off. I didn't like his voice at all. I think they said the movie will be released around Nov 15.
What was the crowd's reaction? I couldn't be there cos I had to go to Boston yesterday all of a sudden. It would've been nice to cosplay alongside your Guts one.

SuperVegetto said:
Found this tweet while checking Clara de Porras' twitter
Google translated:

"Also <Berserk Saga Project>, another 5 years! You look happy and also producer Eiko Tanaka could outweigh the expected coach saw the "Advent", depression look nice Negirau director Oka (* '∀ `*) # Berserkfilm Pic.Twitter.Com/45kXuljQ"

Eiko Tanaka? The Studio 4°C's very own Eiko Tanaka? The same Eiko Tanaka-san who'd not only openly admitted to not being a fan of the Berserk manga, but frankly confessing to have been utterly unaware of the series' very existence? No freakin' way, dude :void:

pirkaf 2000 said:
This makes me very angry, they are removing original content - epic scenes like bonfire of dreams, Zodd throwing his sword (changing Boscone fight), but at the same time they are introducing new scenes that are changing characters that we all love.

Walter said:
It's original, as in, they're making shit up.....

.....That being said, I think this adaptation has already used up its allotment of mulligans.

Walter said:
I haven't seen movie 2 yet, but I'm pretty sure there are some key scenes missing from right before Guts' departure, namely his big talk with Carcus and Judo. That was critical to endearing us to those characters before everything fell apart. It's one of the reasons I feel bad for people watching this for the first time through the movies. Those characters will be reduced to vaguely familiar fodder for the eclipse. :judo:

But all the kidding aside, from having watched both the first movie and the trailers several times, I have finally concluded that as it is the case with the most ruined film adaptations of great works of fiction, much of what has made this new adaptation a trainwreck that it'd become ultimately comes down to the egos of some of the important people involved in those movies' production, each desiring to leave their own mark on the movie's story. Make it something different, something that they can call uniquely their own and do so regardless of how disastrous the consequences it may incur. The scriptwriters - not content with merely being adapters of a pre-existing story, deciding to add "creative" and "original" touches of their own to the movie's screenplay, and usually at the expense of Miura's own original scenes that were in the manga. Hence for instance, we get no Bonfire of Dreams scene nor Guts' childhood. But we are graciously presented with the Guts/Casca and Serpico/Farnese ballroom dance, in their stead. Then the senior animation artists - similarly not wishing to remain just replicators of a pre-existing work of art, deciding to get creative with what they've been given and doing things like adding feathers to the Hawks' helmets, having the characters use different weapons and wear completely different clothes/armor than their original manga counterparts. And then we've got Eiko Tanaka, who became so "overwhelmed with the density" upon first laying her eyes on the original manga (poor thing :sad:) that she was determined to keep things as bare, short and simple as humanly possible. Presumably, to ensure the movie going public doesn't have to go through what she had gone through. I'm sure that at least one person had told her during the "Egg of the Supreme King" production, or at least its pre-production, that such extensive cutting and bowdlerizing might not be a good idea. But as a producer and with power to call all the shots, she got it all her way, and her effort resulting in a short 75 minute movie, including the beginning and ending credits.

And 5 more years of this Berserk "project"? Well, let's hope that the slump in box office earnings combined with the backlash from the irate fans will prevent the Studio 4°C's farcical wreck from going on any further than this.

Rodrigo said:
From having watched both the first movie and the trailers several times, I have finally concluded that as it is the case with the most ruined film adaptations of great works of fiction.

This is pure hyperbole. I can think of dozens of adaptations that have failed far more than this has. That's not to say the series hasn't been a disappointment in many ways. I'm not a huge fan of the first film, I think it skipped several important aspects and short changed others. The lack of development within the Hawks being major, the fade in fade out editing being incredibly disruptive, and the truncated Zodd scene all stand out. But it does do some aspects well, such as it's opening, Guts's duel with the Hawks and Griffith, and the fountain scene. So I think it's a bit much to treat it as if it were an Uwe Boll film. And it's especially early to damn the entire series of movies based on it's first film alone. It's far from the "most ruined film adaptation of a great work of fiction"

Rodrigo said:
Make it something different, something that they can call uniquely their own and do so regardless of how disastrous the consequences might it may incur. The scriptwriters - not content with merely being adapters of a pre-existing story, deciding to add "creative" and "original" touches of their own to the movie's screenplay, and usually at the expense of Miura's own original scenes that were in the manga.

I'd have loved a pure adaptation as well, but the majority of film adaptations do this. Sometimes for run time, sometimes for creative license. Now I won't stand and defend a 75 minute runtime by saying that they had to cut things out for length. Clearly this wasn't the case (maybe a little). But think of the most famous and successful adaptations and you'll notice that very few of them live up to the standards you've set up. Most add completely original elements and often alter even the endings. Think of The Shining, Lord of the Rings, The Walking Dead, A History of Violence, and The Dark Knight trilogy. Berserk hasn't really deviated all that much in comparison.

All of these deviated strongly from their source material, yet delivered strong adaptations in their own right. I'm not saying that Berserk will do the same, but holding it's quality to the standard that it not deviate in anyway from the manga is a poor standard. It should be whether it lives up to the spirit of the source and that's another debate to be had.

So far, I'd rank it as a mediocre adaptation that has a very unbalanced pace. I'm interested to see how it handles any continuation of the series post Eclipse, namely how much of the Black Swordsman and Lost Children arc we'll get.

If you want an example of a complete mess of an adaption, look at the Last Airbender. Not only did Shyamalan make a bunch of silly changes (changing the pronunciation of names, making Asian characters white, etc.), but he couldn't even make a competent looking movie. The action scenes were sloppy and poorly choreographed, the dialogue seemed like it was written by a ten year old whose second language was English, and the acting reached new lows that not even Anakin Skywalker could match. At least the Berserk movies look nice for the most part (obvious problems with some of the CG aside), and I think there are some good stand alone scenes. :badbone:

They should have been much more than that though...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Herbert said:
Eiko Tanaka? The Studio 4°C's very own Eiko Tanaka? The same Eiko Tanaka-san who'd not only openly admitted to not being a fan of the Berserk manga, but frankly confessing to have been utterly unaware of the series' very existence? No freakin' way, dude :void:

Replying to gibberish with facts presented in a way so twisted it almost amounts to lying. Will you ever change? So what if the founder of the studio hadn't heard of Berserk before? That doesn't mean she dislikes it now. What's your little rant below based on? Guesses and fabrications?

ApostleBob said:
But think of the most famous and successful adaptations and you'll notice that very few of them live up to the standards you've set up. Most add completely original elements and often alter even the endings. Think of The Shining, Lord of the Rings, The Walking Dead, A History of Violence, and The Dark Knight trilogy. Berserk hasn't really deviated all that much in comparison.

Comparing the adaptation of a novel into a motion picture and the adaptation of a graphic novel into an animated movie isn't very pertinent.

ApostleBob said:
So far, I'd rank it as a mediocre adaptation that has a very unbalanced pace. I'm interested to see how it handles any continuation of the series post Eclipse, namely how much of the Black Swordsman and Lost Children arc we'll get.

I'm sorry but the first movie is bad any way you cut it. It's a bad adaptation but also a bad movie. It's not an abomination or anything (like the aforementioned Last Airbender), but it doesn't have much for itself. Even the scenes you mention positively actually aren't that good. And also, it's the Lost Children chapter, subpart of the Retribution arc.

Aazealh said:
Comparing the adaptation of a novel into a motion picture and the adaptation of a graphic novel into an animated movie isn't very pertinent.

The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Walking Dead, and A History of Violence were all graphic novels. Your argument that they were transfered into a live action format versus animated format still stands. However I think in most cases the animated format usually emulates the presentation and pacing of the live action format for features films. This one does for sure.

Aazealh said:
I'm sorry but the first movie is bad any way you cut it. It's a bad adaptation but also a bad movie.

It was a disappointment for me, but I didn't hate it.

Aazealh said:
And also, it's the Lost Children chapter, subpart of the Retribution arc.

I stand corrected.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Walking Dead, and A History of Violence were all graphic novels. Your argument that they were transfered into a live action format versus animated format still stands. However I think in most cases the animated format usually emulates the presentation and pacing of the live action format for features films. This one does for sure.

This movie doesn't emulate anything as far as I can tell: it's just a mess. As for "live action" vs "animation", I stand by my point that it makes a lot of difference. There's a pretty obvious limit to how faithful you can be to a graphic novel with a live action movie. Sin City is perhaps the one that did it the best, but it had very heavy special effects and is more the exception than the rule. Anyway, beyond all this, the animation project didn't have any format constraints originally as far as we know. They had the choice to be completely faithful if they had really wanted to. I don't like that people keep finding it excuses by comparing it to other movies that were made in a different context.

ApostleBob said:
It was a disappointment for me, but I didn't hate it.

Hatred isn't something I feel very often if at all, and certainly not towards movies. I just think it's objectively bad. I also don't think it will age well at all, and I'll be curious to hear what people will say about it 10 years from now.

IncantatioN said:
What was the crowd's reaction? I couldn't be there cos I had to go to Boston yesterday all of a sudden. It would've been nice to cosplay alongside your Guts one.
The crowd loved it. What annoyed me a bit was all the laughing when the Guts/Griffith innuendo scenes. The scene before Guts challenges Griffith he said something along the lines of "Alright, if you win, you can have my sword... or my ass. Whatever you want." Also everyone laughed when Adonis was dying and he coughed up all that blood. Seemed weird to me. When it ended everyone seemed happy with it. Then again I bet these aren't the fans on forums saying how shitty this movie turned out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
lon3vvolf said:
The crowd loved it. [...] Also everyone laughed when Adonis was dying and he coughed up all that blood. Seemed weird to me. [...] Then again I bet these aren't the fans on forums saying how shitty this movie turned out.

It's not weird, it's like you said: just not the same public. Same guys who loved Transformers 2 and Resident Evil: Extinction. Needless to say, these are also probably not going to become big fans of the manga.

lon3vvolf said:
The crowd loved it. What annoyed me a bit was all the laughing when the Guts/Griffith innuendo scenes. The scene before Guts challenges Griffith he said something along the lines of "Alright, if you win, you can have my sword... or my ass. Whatever you want."

Awww, come on. Some of that stuff between Guts and Griffith can be a little funny. Not really laugh out loud funny... but Guts's initial reaction to Griffith makes me smile sometimes. :serpico:

Top Bottom