Berserk Saga Project News

Yeah, that scene in the manga is possibly the most horrible thing I've ever read. But it also single handedly proves how skilled Miura is. To show something like that so graphically but still completely eschew titillation... is not easy. The movie is going to have to be careful how it deals with it, though it probably won't show it as graphically and will therefore avoid some of those issues.

The fact they're having to resubmit the film by making cuts and adjustments upsets me a little, I would like to see it in it's complete state. However, I can understand that they would want to make sure they hit a wider audience in theatres for financial benefits after the previous films didn't do so well at the box office.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a high resolution screencap of the homepage on www.berserkfilm.com of Femto? I would like to use it as my wallpaper.

Headofbowl said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-11-17/3rd-berserk-film-listed-as-r15+instead-of-r18+

Definitely time to say goodbye to the hopes of seeing Wyald... :judo:
Page Error.. but you can still saw what you mean,I was hoped for Wyald too I'm disappointed they probably cutting him again.

JackQ said:
Page Error.. but you can still saw what you mean,I was hoped for Wyald too I'm disappointed they probably cutting him again.

Maybe ANN have taken it down, and the previous rating stands? :???:

ApostleBob said:
Maybe... but I think the rape of Casca is more graphic and disturbing than anything Wyald does. And that's saying something.

Yeah, that's true but if they can manage to put that into an R-15 film I doubt they'd have the chance to put anything else of that extent as well, especially given the fact that Wyald gets castrated and tries to rape Casca.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Fuck this. They finally do a good job and now they're going to go back and changing it so younger people can see it. Fuck this. They better release the uncut edition on blu-ray.

If it means they're making cuts and adjustments we might get some kind of special uncut release later on, but I reckon even thats too good to be true :judo:

EDIT: apparently you were faster, kuraidragoon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KuraiDragoon said:
They finally do a good job

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The trailer was good. That's one thing. I wouldn't draw conclusions on how good the actual movie will be until I see it if I were you.

KuraiDragoon said:
now they're going to go back and changing it so younger people can see it. Fuck this. They better release the uncut edition on blu-ray.

Whether the movie is good or not likely won't be affected by whatever footage they're removing (almost certainly pertaining to the rape scene).

Aazealh said:
Whether the movie is good or not likely won't be affected by whatever footage they're removing (almost certainly pertaining to the rape scene).

I concur. Whilst the cuts may be necessary from a business perspective, I doubt it will have an overwhelming effect on the final result of the film. The film already has it's fair share of cuts from the manga anyway, what's a few more clips to lower the age rating? :troll:

I like those images at the top

main_img.jpg

main_img.jpg

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
DirectDK said:
Well, I'm getting skeptical about movie 3 having Wyald too

I don't know why this was even an expectation for people in the first place. He was a cool character, but nothing about him was really essential to the progression of the story. Adding him in would detract from time better spent on major plot beats, and considering pacing has been one of the largest issues with these movies it's probably for the best they aren't going down that road.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
MrWeatherby said:
He was a cool character, but nothing about him was really essential to the progression of the story. Adding him in would detract from time better spent on major plot beats, and considering pacing has been one of the largest issues with these movies it's probably for the best they aren't going down that road.
Maybe you should reread all that manga I gave you.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Gobolatula said:
Maybe you should reread all that manga I gave you.

Look I know you guys really really like Wyald, I do too, but I stand by what I said. These movies are barely over an hour long, and there's still so much ground they need to cover. Any information Wyald gives the audience can be worked in elsewhere, the anime did just that and it never felt like it skipped a beat through that section of the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
These movies are barely over an hour long,

I just don't see any reason he should be included if they're going to keep these things at around 80 minutes.
Movie 2 was 100 minutes. Movie 3 will be 130 minutes. The studio added 20 additional minutes onto their previous estimate.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:
Movie 2 was 100 minutes. Movie 3 will be 130 minutes. The studio added 20 additional minutes onto their previous estimate.

Barf, just saw that and removed it from my post, but yeah. I figured the second was about the same as the first.

Even at that time I don't see it being all that practical. I mean if you want to do it all justice and get his backstory in there, then you're breaking up the momentum of the chase... I would love to see it too, all I'm saying is it's not paramount to making that section of the story function on-screen. It's an expectation I wouldn't really build since it seems like the thing someone would cut if anything.

I want to just be clear that I'm not saying it's something people shouldn't want. It'd definitely one of the best parts. Just given the track record of these movies and that segment in context with all the stuff they have to add, I just don't understand the expectation. It seems unlikely.

But I'm also a huge pessimist about these movies at this point, so whatever. FART

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
He was a cool character, but nothing about him was really essential to the progression of the story.

He actually plays a crucial role in finally breaking Griffith's mind (and the Band of the Falcon's morale)... Oh and that's also when Guts breaks his sword, which is the reason he doesn't have it during the Eclipse.

MrWeatherby said:
Adding him in would detract from time better spent on major plot beats, and considering pacing has been one of the largest issues with these movies it's probably for the best they aren't going down that road.

The pacing issues have nothing to do with the movies featuring too many scenes, and whether you like it or not the escape from Wyndham and battle against Wyald is not a minor plot point.

MrWeatherby said:
Look I know you guys really really like Wyald, I do too, but I stand by what I said.

Liking the character or not isn't the issue here. Don't try and use that to make yourself look rational and reasonable when in reality you have no arguments.

MrWeatherby said:
Any information Wyald gives the audience can be worked in elsewhere, the anime did just that and it never felt like it skipped a beat through that section of the story.

In the TV series nothing was "worked elsewhere"; it sucked and detracted from the overall quality of the plot.

MrWeatherby said:
I mean if you want to do it all justice and get his backstory in there, then you're breaking up the momentum of the chase... I would love to see it too, all I'm saying is it's not paramount to making that section of the story function on-screen.

Before thinking about his very short backstory (which I'm sure could be worked in if done the right way) breaking the momentum of the chase, you should think about there being a chase. And a real chase, not a joke like what the TV series did. Wyald IS the chase. Sure, they can put nameless soldiers instead and it'll "function". Just like the first two movies "functioned". But that's not going to make it good.

MrWeatherby said:
I mean if you want to do it all justice and get his backstory in there, then you're breaking up the momentum of the chase... I would love to see it too, all I'm saying is it's not paramount to making that section of the story function on-screen.

Before thinking about his very short backstory (which I'm sure could be worked in if done the right way) breaking the momentum of the chase, you should think about there being a chase. And a real chase, not a joke like what the TV series did. Wyald IS the chase. Sure, they can put nameless soldiers instead and it'll "function". Just like the first two movies "functioned". But that's not going to make it good.

MrWeatherby said:
It's an expectation I wouldn't really build since it seems like the thing someone would cut if anything.

I don't think people have really been expecting it. That's why the topic comes back regularly. But they're hopeful. Can't fault them for it.

Maybe they're just holding back Wyald from the trailer to surprise you? That would be excellent.
Based on that trailer (damn!), it makes more sense to me for the Bakiraka to be the main part of the chase with Silat being confirmed in the movie, so they can tie them together.
They are already cramming a LOT into this and it has to go well past the eclipse, as they show a brief shot of what appears to be a spirit attempting to posses Guts after he goes out for his jog in the night afterward before bumping into SK.

6rYBV.jpg

I'm thinking the logical ending point is when Guts kills the apostle that comes to Godo's house as he is about to leave. I can see them cutting Wyald in favor of that being the first time he kills one on his own and building him from there progression wise.

The eclipse won't hit anyone's lofty expectations. I can only hope they do it justice, but it seems like they are on the right path in general.

My arguments for Wyald may not seem as profound as Aaz & co's, but I think the most important aspect is that it gives Guts a little teaser/preperation of the ultimate hell soon to come. I mean its not just about badassery anymore at that point. Miura depicts Guts both mental and physical adaption/fear overcoming/determination with such mastery and insight, its hard not to drop your jaw in total awe. Thus regarding milestones in Guts evolving fighting capacity I consider Wyald to be practically as important as Zodd, it just feels like a very difining moment for Guts becoming more accustom to fighting apostles, and potentially one step closer to be able to survive the eclipse.

And another thing, that might be overlooked by the emotional impact of Griffith's presence, is that its simply one of the few moments we actually get to experience Guts and Casca together as comrades AND LOVERS (I know it sound cheesy but....f**k you :farnese:)

Furthermore, from a pure storytelling point of view its an epic mystery/suspense build-up to the eclipse. On that note I totally understand why some folks think the eclipse felt too sudden in the anime series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cronus said:
I'm thinking the logical ending point is when Guts kills the apostle that comes to Godo's house as he is about to leave. I can see them cutting Wyald in favor of that being the first time he kills one on his own and building him from there progression wise.

I've had this half-formed fear for a while now that they'll stop it when the Skull Knight tells Guts about the Interstice and what his life's going to be now. Hopefully not.

Hanma_Baki said:
My arguments for Wyald may not seem as profound as Aaz & co's

Don't undersell yourself; I didn't bother posting an exhaustive list before but all the points you made are very good.

Hanma_Baki said:
On that note I totally understand why some folks think the eclipse felt too sudden in the anime series.

Of course, and it's not just that either, a lot of the clever, careful foreshadowing had been removed (as well as the introduction of all the basic concepts of the series, from the beherits & the Brand to apostles and of course the God Hand).

It's a bit pointless talking about the removal of a character or an important moment or dialog at this point. We know time is limited in the adaptation for the format it's released in and it's being made, whether we like it or not. The 97 anime series suffered a similar fate. My point is - (i) it's a given that they will take parts of the story out, and (ii) anything that deviates from or is less than what is depicted in the manga will be insufficient to the story of Berserk. Taking out any 1 key moment will trigger the latter notion. I know it's good to be hopeful and optimistic but let's try to be realistic at the same time and it's something really out of our control. It'd be awesome if the studio hired the Admins for the making of the films.

Top Bottom