Berserk Saga Project News

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
smogass said:
what caught my eye is what the hell was that giant woman apostle? :isidro:
EDIT: Looked again it looks like it's snake baron. Was fooled first time I imagined him a bit differently.
No, you were right the first time. It's not the Cobra Apostle. It looks a lot more like the very first apostle we see in the series—the one that Guts kills in Volume 1, and the one that kills Carcus in Volume 13. And indeed, it's a weird change for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that apostle isn't GIANT. Similar to removing Zodd from Doldrey... it makes you wonder why they bothered changing this. If the alternative sucks or is incongruous, then what was the point?

The thing that annoyed me the most about this clip was ... why did they make Silat sound like a conniving asswipe? Sounds more like "Assassin #3" instead of Silat, prince of the Bakiraka Clan.

As expected, everything is being super-compressed, at the expense of a natural flow. Griffith's entire inner conflict throughout his imprisonment is reduced to a hamfisted "I want this castle but hey what's that over there... Ohhhh wait!" And instead of Griffith being given an enigmatic vision of the God Hand's dimension, he's given a sort of trailer of things to come. I imagine that was intended as something to whet the audience's appetite, but it ends up not making any kind of sense. Removing every single scene involving Guts reflecting on his own, all of Guts' training entirely, we're instead given a yearlong transition and character development that happens across one scene. Guts will have been gone from the Falcons for approximately 12 minutes on-screen at this rate. Really, he just needed a few moments away. Griffith just overreacted!

But yeah... the choice for Silat's voice actor... that trumps it all, for me. They may as well have made Pippin voiced by Danny DeVito.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The beginning sequence with Griffith going nuts was pretty fucking great until he started "flashing forward" to the eclipse. That was kinda dumb.

That apostle walking through the woods was kinda creepy, but mostly weird...

Man, where's the rest of Silat's posse?

I kind of knew they would skip that whole year. Shitty.

It sucks because it LOOKS cool. If only all the content were there.

I agree that Silat sounds like a random heavy, generally suited to the types of guys Guts has killed after a single encounter. Not unique or memorable at all.

Also, as Walter noted, I don't expect any more of Griffith's flashbacks/visions from the Eclipse to occur. It seems all of them are condensed into that scene before the creatures appear through the wall. The additional, obvious hints to the eclipse were also unnecessary

I was also hoping that the extra time spent on that feature would have meant improved CGI models and 3D animation, but it's clearly not the case here. The same old cheap soldier models and newer ones like for the creatures oozing(?) through the wall looks rather poor. The low resolution of that clip may have been a blessing in disguise in this case.

Why not at least give us the Snail Count if we aren't going to see the Snake Baron? At least he's giant, creepy and a major part of the Eclipse... The thing that amazes me is that the reviews over at ANN and the Fandom Post (basically the new Anime On DVD) are positive. Are we all just sheltered by having read the manga, because I can't imagine how these movies make sense to anyone who hasn't? Yet another reason I will stick to SK.net for my Berserk coverage.

Well that was a dissapointing start. Cool to open with Griffith reflecting on days gone by and his dream, but that ooze monster looks HORRIBLE. What is this, veggie tales? If you can't do the CGI then just cut it. Terrible and pulls me out right away.

Walter's right about the cheap little movie trailer they do for the God Hand. Pretty uninspired for the opening of a film.

The female apostle is now the largest apostle in the series. Seriously WHAT? The funny thing is that in the trailers you can clearly see her attacking the Hawks and she's normal size, roughly twice as tall as a man.

And as I guessed, they completely cut out the passage of time for Guts on his journey to find himself. I'm sure they'll pay lip service, as if it makes things better.

And we get very little impression of the state the Hawks are in. The despair, the hopelessness. It's skimmed over in a breif aside between Judeau and Casca.

And why is Silat suddenly the flash? I mean I know he's supposed to be quick, but this has him teleporting like nightcrawler. Who was the man who saw these story boards and said "Yeah, this is totally fine. This is the spirit of Berserk." Grrrrr. :beast:

150619_494580593926664_2167586_n.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
And we get very little impression of the state the Hawks are in. The despair, the hopelessness. It's skimmed over in a breif aside between Judeau and Casca.
Not just that, but also Casca's state of mind and her own mental/physical exhaustion. That ties in directly to her attempting suicide shortly after Guts arrives. How's that scene going to look without any of that context?

...Incantation, what's that supposed to be...? Japanese MadTV?

Hahaha not sure, but here's what was posted along with the picture on the Berserk Movie Japanese facebook page.

1月30日(水)発売のTV Bros.の表紙にゴッド・ハンドが降臨!
映画公開を記念して、「ベルセルク」の魅力をたっぷり紹介。三浦建太郎先生×窪岡監督の対談、ベルセルク芸人・バッファロー吾郎・竹若さん×天津のお二人が語る「蝕」、さらに「進撃の巨人」作者の諫山創氏が語る「ベルセルク」と充実の内容です。
ぜひご覧ください!

TV Bros. 2013年2月2日号
発売日:2013年1月30日

So does anybody know what the 2.1 means in the trailer on page 107?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kGfzuOp3dM (short 15 second teaser)

Does this mean the third movie is in cinema on the 1st February?

Man..they are pumping the advertising videos out like none other. Here's a combo video; its got the full trailer for the third film, along with a bits of the last two movies and some new footage for the third movie. "Newer" footage starts at 3:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SszgmLep6mA

jackalj said:
Does this mean the third movie is in cinema on the 1st February?

You are correct

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
So, are Godot and Erica only going to show up after the Eclipse now? Also, all these trailers are showing me the things I wanted to see in the movie already... what's the point of watching the movie now? I know the other things are going to be majorly cut down or fucked up. :troll:

Watched the 10 minute video clip and here are my thoughts:

I'm not really sure I like what they did with Griffith when he looks through the hole. I didn't mind his scene leading up to that point and thought it was well done, but why did they have to show some of the footage from later in the film? Seems like a waste to me. Also like Walter and others said, whats up with the female apostle being so huge? How will Guts have sex with the monster later on if she is that big to seduce her? :carcus:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
To summarize: Griff becomes a zombie for castles, but meets a scary stranger and gets lost, and is visited by demon poo from his wall-mounted asshole. A giant runway model with a crazy hat walks through the forest with the grace of an average sized CGI woman. And the Band of the Falcon is attacked by The Iron Sheik.

Anyway, they're consistent, I'll give them that. In the brief time he'll appear they still managed to completely betray Silat's character. In the manga he's about as cool (as in stone cold) and cerebral as they come, here he's just another manic jerk (yeah yeah, serves the film better because its attempting to be so much worse than the manga or some such bullshit logic). Actually, it reminded me of the first movie in that even for just 10 minutes it was a hot mess, no rhyme, reason, or rhythm to anything; you literally could have mixed up the order of every scene shown and it would have made just as much sense! Wish I could skip ahead to this part:

zoddskully.jpg

Accidentally skipped that giant apostle being in the place of the Snake Baron. I'm not even sure that is supposed to be the same one from the beginning of Vol 1. Looks more like some cheap stand-in using a leftover armored knight 3D model shaded over with some supernatural wispy features thrown in.

What the hell is with all those changes? I knew for the first two movies but knew it was about the budget too (though the unneccesary changes pissed me off), but now there too many changes that are unnecessary and don't even cost less. Fucking studio

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I was happy to see the scene in the forest with the Snake Baron when suddenly, it was not my Snake Baron! Sad news for Snake Baron fans as me... :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-29/3rd-berserk-film-uncut-r18+version-to-also-run-in-theaters
What, are you getting paid to link out to these guys? How about summarizing it for us?

I don't think this one was posted before.
It's in HD and shows some more ":femto: action".
http://youtu.be/CBwnl3YAbAU

Also, are :femto:'s eyes supposed to be red...?

Arles said:
Also, are :femto:'s eyes supposed to be red...?
I think it's just the bloody surroundings reflecting in his eyes + it's dramatic :troll: (Really getting tired of all this useless alterations...)

I agree that Silat's voice is really disappointing. I think the actor's voice itself would be good if he didn't ruin it with the acting :magni: I just hate that apparently most of the people who work on this project know very little about it, and whenever they have a chance to fix it they fuck it up even more. They have the potential to do it right but still they don't.

Something else: http://25.media.tumblr.com/43bf42549690d1ce7b1b8bda90754d6b/tumblr_mhcmxj4cWU1s2k87xo6_500.jpg (I'm not sure if this was posted already)
Am I the only one who thinks this is really inaccurate for many reasons?
It just seems as if they only published this to make the new fangirls go "OMG poor pretty Griffith what have they done to you"
I just wonder how the hell he can blink in the beginning of the movie without eyelids... Also I doubt the torturer would have removed this much skin at the same time because his job was to keep him alive, so I've always thought Griffith must have been covered in scars due to his skin being regularly harmed but he never had wounds this big because they wouldn't really heal so the guy wouldn't enjoy wounding him again...
There must be a reason why Miura never showed him without the helmet after the torture, so if they remove his helmet in the movie... :mozgus:

Gill said:
I think it's just the bloody surroundings reflecting in his eyes + it's dramatic :troll: (Really getting tired of all this useless alterations...)

I agree that Silat's voice is really disappointing. I think the actor's voice itself would be good if he didn't ruin it with the acting :magni: I just hate that apparently most of the people who work on this project know very little about it, and whenever they have a chance to fix it they fuck it up even more. They have the potential to do it right but still they don't.

Something else: http://25.media.tumblr.com/43bf42549690d1ce7b1b8bda90754d6b/tumblr_mhcmxj4cWU1s2k87xo6_500.jpg (I'm not sure if this was posted already)
It just seems as if they only published this to make the new fangirls go "OMG poor pretty Griffith what have they done to you"
I just wonder how the hell he can blink in the beginning of the movie without eyelids... Also I doubt the torturer would have removed this much skin at the same time because his job was to keep him alive, so I've always thought Griffith must have been covered in scars due to his skin being regularly harmed but he never had wounds this big because they wouldn't really heal so the guy wouldn't enjoy wounding him again...
There must be a reason why Miura never showed him without the helmet after the torture, so if they remove his helmet in the movie... :mozgus:

Interesting picture. Am I the only one though that thinks it's better when they dont show his face completely? It kind of leaves that feeling of dread and horror to your imagination to what could have been done to him other then the details we get in the manga.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What a weird change during Griffith's "hallucination". They're trying to take a shortcut by merging his reminiscence of his childhood and his reflexion on Guts and how as the dream dies down, he's all that remains, but they've hacked it up in a pretty gross way.

And while the close-up on the eyeball is well executed, that's not really how things are depicted in the manga, with more of a dead stare, unblinking. I also don't see the point of showing us a kind of preview of the Eclipse instead of the rather brief view of the God Hand we get in the manga. They've shown it so much by now (including in the intro of all 3 films) that it's almost lost its shock value.

Replacing the Snake Baron in the woods with the apostle that kills Carcus is... quite puzzling. First off, that apostle is not particularly noteworthy, let's be honest. Second, it was never very big in size, and though we have little clues as to how big it is here, the sound its footsteps make implies that it's big. Pretty weird change.

Casca's state after a year of leading the troops in extremely harsh conditions? No time to waste on that, nor on the Band of the Falcon itself. And the best of course: they've turned Silat from a highly skilled assassin and master of stealth into a superhuman ninja who'll kill everything but still gets caught by a horse! It's incredible how they manage to exaggerate a character's actions and still make him less cool in the process.

TelegramSam said:
The thing that amazes me is that the reviews over at ANN and the Fandom Post (basically the new Anime On DVD) are positive.

Lack of standards. I don't doubt that some people liked Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill.

ApostleBob said:
that ooze monster looks HORRIBLE. What is this, veggie tales? If you can't do the CGI then just cut it. Terrible and pulls me out right away.

Yeah... Unfortunate.

Gill said:

If the helmetless model sheet was all there was, I wouldn't be worried too much since it (should be) meant as a rough idea to the animators where to draw wounds and other details for the animation of this new imprisoned/tortured Griffith. However, since the we're also getting a model sheet of helmeted Griffith with absolutely no shadowing around the eyes and mouth obscuring these detail, it could be another story.

The movie team could still shade over those details and make them less noticeable, but we could indeed get a helmetless Griffith close-up in the movie. I agree, that it works much better when we only get Guts reaction to seeing Griffith's face to give the reader an idea of how grotesque and horrible was made to look. Also, it really doesn't make sense for him to have that much skin missing without scar tissue over it, though hopefully a full helmetless shot doesn't make it into the final movie.

Top Bottom