Berserk Saga Project News

Sammoniac said:
It sounds more like a 6 or 7 out of 10. The "This is only the beginning" message kind of reassures me, but scares me at the same time. They'll have to change their philosophy a lot if they don't want to lose too many fans or go bankrupt. Also, why put so much emphasis on the fact that Guts is bad ass? Is that relevant in any way? "Ohhh this guy is soooo bad ass, we have to rate this movie at least 8/10!"

That cracked me up. What's also funny with this guy is he always writes Hirakawa instead of Hirasawa

Sammoniac said:
It sounds more like a 6 or 7 out of 10. The "This is only the beginning" message kind of reassures me, but scares me at the same time. They'll have to change their philosophy a lot if they don't want to lose too many fans or go bankrupt. Also, why put so much emphasis on the fact that Guts is bad ass? Is that relevant in any way? "Ohhh this guy is soooo bad ass, we have to rate this movie at least 8/10!"

Its always bugged me how the first, and something only thing, people say about Berserk is that its "Badass". Uhhhh you do know theirs more to it than that right?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
More likely, it's just not a comprehensive list of cuts. The thing looks hastily written, to me. If we can actually convince Aaz to watch Movie III once it's out, he may oblige us with a more dense comparison.

Why must you be so cruel. Anyway, I'll be flabbergasted if they actually have Gaiseric's backstory. I also doubt they're going to have the Demon Child in there.

Sammoniac said:
But now, the Lost Children arc MAY not suffer the same fate as the trilogies. With all the feedback they had since the beginning of this disaster, maybe they learned to be more careful about what they do (and say). I don't think that a lot of work is done for that part yet, they probably are waiting for some income from the trilogy. They'll probably want more money and success this time, so they MAY stick more to the manga for the following productions. Or they may not.... :femto:

I'm trying to be optimistic here, (once again). *sigh*

You're just hurting yourself man.

Grail said:
If somebody hires Miura to write the next Berserk movie, I think we'll be okay. :casca:

He's already written (and drawn) all he ever needed to. All they had to do was to follow it.

tama chan said:
I still wonder if there is this mentality of how the Black Swordsman arc would be too confusing to movie goers. We all know it's not hard to follow and that the few things we arent sure of (how this Guts character is in the state he is in, the child) adds to the mystery. I get this feeling that they think it wouldn't be easy to digest for the people they are trying to sell tickets to.

Honestly I don't think their reasons matter much given how stupid that decision was. The end result is that it sucks.

JoeZeon said:
Its always bugged me how the first, and something only thing, people say about Berserk is that its "Badass". Uhhhh you do know theirs more to it than that right?

But they captured the BLOOD AND GORE man, that's what matters!

I just received my copies of the two art books associated with the film project that we're released this week along with the movie. In the art book collecting the landscapes, castle designs, and other background art is a section devoted to apostle designs. Interestingly, there are several pages devoted to Rosine in her 'final' (or secondary) apostle form and none of her in her principle apostle state. She gets more pages in the book than the Count does in his apostle form. Which is surprising as he, I imagine, is actually present in the third film.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Julalien said:
I just received my copies of the two art books associated with the film project that we're released this week along with the movie. In the art book collecting the landscapes, castle designs, and other background art is a section devoted to apostle designs. Interestingly, there are several pages devoted to Rosine in her 'final' (or secondary) apostle form and none of her in her principle apostle state. She gets more pages in the book than the Count does in his apostle form. Which is surprising as he, I imagine, is actually present in the third film.

So we might get part of the Black Swordsman's arc and the whole Lost Children arc crammed into one movie? It better be more than two hours long :troll:

But I think that seeing these two apostles animated should be cool, at least. I wonder if they will keep the movie format ...I hope not.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
This whole fiasco has made one thing abundantly clear to me: I need to go back and rewatch the TV series. It's been over a decade, and I can't for the life of me remember why I thought it was bad anymore.

Based on an image from the collection of background artwork for movie 3 it seems like some aspect of Gaiseric's story is present in the film. There is a painting of the fallen torch illuminating the ruins at the bottom of the tower during Griffith's rescue. It's a small image but it's present in the section of the art book containing backgrounds used in the films themselves as opposed to unused materials. It wouldn't make up for all the other cuts made to the story in these films but it would be quite cool if this scene was present and done well.

At the press conference on Saturday for the Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen III: Kōrin (Berserk Golden Age Arc III: Descent) movie's opening the previous day, director Toshiyuki Kubooka indicated that there is more in the works for Berserk beyond the current film trilogy. He told the audience,

We're currently moving to make [Berserk] a saga project. But this is as much as I can say. It's a secret. It's really not at the stage I can say anything about it, but the project is in motion.
Actors Hiroaki Iwanaga (Guts), Takahiro Sakurai (Griffith), Toa Yukinari (Casca), and Kenta Miyake (Zodd) also attended the event, along with theme song director Susumu Hirasawa.
Source: http://animeanime.jp/article/2013/02/02/12881.html and http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-02/berserk-staff-still-planning-more-after-3-films

To be honest, the 97 series did the Golden Age well enough (and better) so that I don't care to ever see it animated again. If they bother to read some of the fan feedback, and get their act together for some Black Swordsman movies/OVAs, I'm willing to give them a chance. It's just that when they managed to screw up so badly already, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Slime_Beherit said:
I don't comment much on reddit, but people did'nt agree with my recommendtation :puck:

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/17skxf/news_berserk_staff_still_planning_more_after_3/
lol i was literally just bout to post the same link lol . It seems most ppl here hate the new Berserk movies but im just happy to see new animation , so im certainly excited to finally see some moving black swordsman man . Personally i like the new movies a lot, even if a lot of things have been changed the core of they story is still there and get across just as well . Hope we get a full fledged series now not just some ova episodes .

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hitokiri89 said:
im just happy to see new animation

That's more true than you even know, you are just happy to see new animation. You should probably leave it at that...

hitokiri89 said:
Personally in like the new movies a lot, even if a lot of things have been changed the core of they story is still there and get across just as well .

...and cut the bullshit, especially among those that know better and don't apprecate the added insult to injury. Seriously, if you think it gets the story across just as well, you don't think much of the story anyway and shouldn't glibly comment on it.

My Thoughts

1) Ever since I became a Berserk fan I've hoped to see the Black Swordsman arc and beyond animated. So in a way, the movies so far have been a means to an end for me. IMO 4C bit off way more than they could chew trying to adapt the Golden Age into three short movies. Throw in all three coming out in a little over a year, and you've got yourself a gigantic HD clusterfuck. Now before people try to pile on me I want to make this clear, this is not a vote of confidence nor am I making excuses for 4C. They had the opportunity to create an adaptation of Berserk that would be acceptable to fans while bring in new ones to the series. Instead they cut corners, ripped away character development, ruined important scenes, cut valuable scenes, left out solid characters, and completely ignored what makes Berserk a fantastic series. If their intention was to make a "Badass" version of Berserk that appeals to people who think the manga has "too much talking" then man they did a good job there! :ganishka:
They've fucked up big time, that's not debatable.

2) If they follow Miura's advice and do the Black Swordsman Arc in its entirety, they have a slim chance of righting this ship. If Lost Children is indeed the path they're going, this next installment will be dead on arrival. Too much has been cut or altered at this point for them to cut an entire arc. Well...actually they kinda already did huh?

3) As far as what platform they should use, movies, tv series etc. I don't care, just do your homework and make something the fans can enjoy.

Griffith said:
That's more true than you even know, you are just happy to see new animation. You should probably leave it at that...

...and cut the bullshit, especially among those that know better and don't apprecate the added insult to injury. Seriously, if you think it gets the story across just as well, you don't think much of the story anyway and shouldn't glibly comment on it.
Whoa guy relax , everyone's entitled to their own opinion man... shit . It does get the story across fine man its not like they changed it so zodd becomes the fifth godhand and rickert rapes guts lol . It's still the same story with minor differences which is very common in a lot of movie adaptions from manga and other anime shows . None of the changes have changed the main plot at all .. i get being pissed about changes especially when it's something you hold in high regard but its not that big a price to pay when you consider that this is new animation and hopefully shit that never got animated in the future. I'm not one for forum arguing so please don't take this as an invitation, i'm simply stating my opinions... yet much the same i rather you not force me into a situation that might tarnish mine and possibly others opinions of this forum and berserk fans in general . I still like the movies and i'm still happy they were made along with any new animation that may be coming out .

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
hitokiri89 said:
None of the changes have changed the main plot at all

It's just that Berserk is more than just its plot. The changes they made seems so watered down. It may looks like Berserk but I would not be able to reccomdend the movies to some and say "here is the series I enjoy so much"

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
hitokiri89 said:
None of the changes have changed the main plot at all ..
I'm gonna give you suuuuch a noogie! <3

I find myself wishing more and more that they'd bring the blu-ray relase of the '97 TV series to the US. I still find that to be one of the best anime experiences ever. Despite the low production value, they did the story justice for the most part. You can tell they at least respected the original source material. Like Griffith said, the show followed the Golden Age part of the manga almost panel by panel.

I'd be a liar if I said that I wasn't looking forward to where they go next with this new adaptation. I want to see some BLACK SWORDSMAN ANIMATED ACTION WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

SuperVegetto said:
Source: http://animeanime.jp/article/2013/02/02/12881.html and http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-02/berserk-staff-still-planning-more-after-3-films

Well, looks like the bastardization of the series isn't over yet.

Seriously, the characters so far are very hollow in these films with Guts being among the worst offenders. I seemed slightly salvageable after "Egg of the King," but the second film pretty much blew those chances wide open and is already past the point of no return. The third film looks like the same compromises of action and plot progression over the character development necessary to make that progression worthwhile.

The Casca/Guts romance is the only thing that seems handled at least well enough to believe that Guts loves Casca and is psychologically affected by what happens during and after the Eclipse regarding her. It's definitely flawed and rushed, but it's more of a "It could be worse" scenario. Otherwise, Griffith's relationship with the Hawks and Guts/Casca, and vice versa is so weak that there is no way the Eclipse is going to have the intended emotional impact outside of general pity in the Hawks getting mercilessly killed off (if that)

What happens after the Eclipse and how it is adapted is still very important if the "saga" crew has any serious intention of continuing this project. It's already pretty screwed because the films series hasn't offered many chances to get emotionally invested in Guts personally outside of his ability to fight his way out of tight spots. However not including the demon child, the conversation with Skullknight, coming to terms with Casca's current condition, etc is a seriously dumb movie because they are among the most significant scenes in how Guts becomes the Black Swordsman and how Guts identifies himself and his struggle in that new persona.

It goes without saying that further installments are pretty screwed if they skip the Black Swordsman arc, most obviously because it completely uproots and mangles the Guts/Puck relationship and how both slowly come to terms with the complexity of Guts as the black swordsman, which only needed to be reinforced when the black swordsman returned after the Golden Age arc ended. It's going to be even worse considering how much of Miura's visual comedy was watered down, if not outright extinguished, in this Golden Age film series. RIP chestnut Puck. :puck:

Slime_Beherit said:
It's just the Berserk is more than just its plot. The changes they made seems so watered down. It may looks like Berserk but I would not be able to reccomdend the movies to some and say "here is the series I enjoy so much"
I do agree that the movies are watered down for sure and i probably would recommend the series to a newcomer for berserk over the movies as well . Personally i think the original series is a true masters piece and is and has been in my top anime lists forever . All im really trying to say is that more berserk is better than less berserk is all. Even if it takes all the liberties as it does as long as there is new material i'll be happy for it .

Griffith

hitokiri89 said:
Whoa guy relax , everyone's entitled to their own opinion man... shit .

Unfortunately, they're not all created equal, and not all valid; furthermore, the "everyone's entitled" exclamation is basically a ready-made excuse for people that have lousy ones. You don't hear too many people with well informed, factually based and therefore strong opinions having to whine that they're entitled to say whatever they want even if they can't justify it. No, you're not entitled to that, you're entitled to defend your statements, if you can't or they're indefensible, then just do the right thing and shut up.

hitokiri89 said:
It does get the story across fine man its not like they changed it so zodd becomes the fifth godhand and rickert rapes guts lol . It's still the same story with minor differences which is very common in a lot of movie adaptions from manga and other anime shows . None of the changes have changed the main plot at all ..

This isn't an opinion, it's a misstatement of the facts. There have been changes, major changes and cuts, and they do affect the story and characters quite a bit to the discerning reader/viewer. Your creation of even more egregious examples of changes don't minimize the egregious changes that have actually been made. You can say you like it all you want and don't mind the changes, maybe they don't change things for you, but don't tell us they're objectively not significant or that they're not there. Don't BS about how it is just as good, because that misrepresents not only the films but the manga. Just because you can't tell the difference or don't care doesn't mean it hasn't been changed, and for the worse. If you don't care, then just say so so or what you like about it, but don't make false statements while defending it, especially equating it to the quality of the source material. That's my objection here, not to your right to have an opinion.

hitokiri89 said:
i get being pissed about changes especially when it's something you hold in high regard but its not that big a price to pay when you consider that this is new animation and hopefully shit that never got animated in the future.

As I suspected, it seems you don't hold it in very high regard. Not all of us pray at the alter of "new animation" as the be all and end all of what Berserk can be. It's discussions like this that make me think we would have been better off without one in any case.

hitokiri89 said:
I'm not one for forum arguing so please don't take this as an invitation, i'm simply stating my opinions... yet much the same i rather you not force me into a situation that might tarnish mine and possibly others opinions of this forum and berserk fans in general .

Then now you know how I feel. So, if you want to extoll or defend the films, do so without carelessly misrepresenting their quality in regards to the story with statements like, "the core of they story is still there and get across just as well" and, "None of the changes have changed the main plot at all." I mean, you could even get away with saying the first parts if you weren't compelled to completely dismiss the significance of all the changes; which, basically amounts to you saying the films' story is superior. I don't think you'll find anybody deranged enough about anime to think the movies have a better story than the mang...

hitokiri89 said:
I do agree that the movies are watered down for sure and i probably would recommend the series to a newcomer for berserk over the movies as well . Personally i think the original series is a true masters piece and is and has been in my top anime lists forever .

... ga? :judo:

Nevermind. :azan:

Griffith said:
Unfortunately, they're not all created equal, and not all valid; furthermore, the "everyone's entitled" exclamation is basically a ready-made excuse for people that have lousy ones. You don't hear too many people with well informed, factually based and therefore strong opinions having to whine that they're entitled to say whatever they want even if they can't defend it. No, you're not entitled to that, you're entitled to defend your statements, if you can't or they're indefensible, then just do the right thing and shut up.

This isn't an opinion, it's a misstatement of the facts. There have been changes, major changes and cuts, and they do affect the story and characters quite a bit to the discerning reader/viewer. Your creation of even more egregious examples of changes don't minimize the egregious changes that have actually been made. You can say you like it all you want and don't mind the changes, maybe they don't change things for you, but don't tell us they're objectively not significant or that they're not there. Don't BS about how it is just as good, because that misrepresents not only the films but the manga. Just because you can't tell the difference or don't care doesn't mean it hasn't been changed, and for the worse. If you don't care, then just say so so or what you like about it, but don't make false statements while defending it, especially equating it to the quality of the source material. That's my objection here, not to your right to have an opinion.

As I suspected, it seems you don't hold it in very high regard. Not all of us pray at the alter of "new animation" as the be all and end all of what Berserk can be. It's discussions like this that make me think we would have been better off without one in any case.

Then now you know how I feel. So, if you want to extoll or defend the films, do so without resorting to lying about their quality in regards to the story with statements like, "the core of they story is still there and get across just as well" and, "None of the changes have changed the main plot at all." I mean, you could even get away with saying the first parts if you weren't compelled to completely dismiss the significance of all the changes; which, basically amounts to you saying the films' story is superior. I don't think you'll find anybody deranged enough about anime to think the movies have a better story than the mang...

... ga? :judo:

Nevermind. :azan:
Wow dude ... you must feel like a big man now right ? seriously you sound pathetic . Is berserk all you have in life ? I really hope not . I never said that the movies are better than the manga or that the changes are good , or that any one else's opinions are wrong ... btw you clearly have the wrong idea about what the word opinion means .. fucking pick up a dictionary . If all you wanna do is bitch about how bad the movies are than why continue to watch them ? Your the kind of fan that give the rest of us manga/anime fans a bad name . You think that this story is made for you and you only but you forget that millions of ppl read and watch this shit so your one opinion or statement as you want to call it can never be the right one . Honestly i really liked this forum until now . Do you really think ppl are looking up to you as the voice of the berserk fan on this forum lol your soooo childish . Sure the changes in script suck , and yeah they changed important scenes and obviously character development is lacking because its fucken movie trilogy not a series . You telling me my opinions don't count only prove your maturity level to be small . Why are you so pigheaded and care so much that i liked the movies ? I really couldn't give a fuck less how you personally feel about any berserk material , i couldn't give a fuck less if you were raped while im typing this lol. This is a forum on the internet lol . The fact that my liking something that you don't effects you this much is more than laughable . Why don't you sack up and let others enjoy what they enjoy instead of your usual fanboy religion like worship bullshit that you feel the need to shove down the throats of those who don't share your thoughts . Seriously man fuck you and everything you represent you small minded shit filled cunt . I asked you nicely not to create an argument with me .. and what did you do ..? Get off you high horse and try a little perspective dude . I don't like eggs but i can assure you i don't go around telling those you who do that their stupid and shit . And as for which regard i hold berserk i think it's higher than yours because your not willing appreciate anything that's not 100% true to the original work . A real fan of anything is happy for new material even if they don't like certain aspects and grateful that there's enough interest from other fans , directors , writers , etc to come out with new content otherwise a series like this or any other would die by the wayside before too long . I would ask you not to continue this argument but i can tell your far judgmental , small minded , and sad not to . Sorry to everyone else here reading this crap, that the topic went the way it did .. i tried not to but i'm about to be bashed and keep my mouth shut . I'm still pretty new on this forum so i feel bad that i went this far into an argument already and i know most will side with shithead ... i'm not looking for anyone to take my side or anything but just to let this b/s rest . Sadly i have to admit that this guy really tarnished my appreciation for this forum . All this b/s coming from the same guy who stated that he was leaving this forum because elitism is the biggest elitist of them all .. what hypocrite . Once again sorry for the topic turning out this way and ruining others tome on the forum today .

Griffith

Actually, I feel the same way I did at the end of my last post, like I'm wasting my time with you; you've just confirmed it. I'll obligatorily point out that you're (I should really all caps this =) the one who seems so upset he's resorting to a bunch of petulant ad hominem attacks, and, of course, displaying most of the traits you're attributing to me in the process; lack reading comprehension, anger, aggression, immaturity, shitheadedness (rape jokes ftw, right?), and an inability to spell (ok, I added that one for you). That ugliness aside, I'm just explaining what was wrong with what you were saying and why it was offensive to people that care deeply about the story. There's no reason I shouldn't say something about that, that's what this place is for. A bunch of sentiment about how I'm a jerk for infringing on your right to feel and say whatever you want doesn't change the facts, and even you've contradicted yourself since saying the the films are clearly watered down. That should be the end of it then, but instead you're having this explosive ego meltdown complete with offensive tirade when I was having a reasoned disagreement without pulling any punches (sorry I didn't treat you enough like a baby). If you want to talk about maturity, show that you can handle someone strongly disagreeing with you; otherwise, I see why you don't like forum arguments.

hitokiri89 said:
All this b/s coming from the same guy who stated that he was leaving this forum because elitism is the biggest elitist of them all .. what hypocrite .

That was a joke... Again, reading comprehension, another one of the many reasons your unqualified opinion of story quality should not be held in high regard, whatever egalitarian notions you may have to the contrary. On that note, I'm going to go watch the Super Bowl now.

Griffith said:
Actually, I feel the same way I did at the end of my last post, like I'm wasting my time with you; [snipped]
On that note, I'm going to go watch the Super Bowl now.
tumblr_luhhvxOWnF1qbvaudo1_500.gif

Top Bottom