Berserk Saga Project News

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Hearing that the Eclipse still shines through even a half hearted movie trilogy, just goes to show you the gravity of how strong of a scene it is. It might very well be one of the most shocking sequences ever created.
It'd have be to be a failure of unprecedented proportions for the Eclipse to not be a shocking sequence...

Anyway, on what are you basing the Eclipse in this adaptation "shining through?" That Kotaku review? Because the first impressions I read (on a board frequented by actual Berserk fans) was that the Eclipse wasn't as grabbing as either the manga or the TV series.

In Box Office news, Movie III placed 11th in its opening week, grossing about $280,248
For some historical information:
Movie I opened with $594,707 (11th place)
Movie II opened with $355,767 (8th place)
Movie III opened with $280,248 (11th place)

Tenfarther said:
It's almost fascinating to think of all the changes, especially when you think of how difficult it will be to fix them in order to bring context to any later scenes.

At this point I don't really expect them to bother fixing anything. Rather I suspect they just steamroll through the rest of the story in the same carefree approach they established with these first three.

Walter said:
It'd have be to be a failure of unprecedented proportions for the Eclipse to not be a shocking sequence...

Anyway, on what are you basing the Eclipse in this adaptation "shining through?" That Kotaku review? Because the first impressions I read (on a board frequented by actual Berserk fans) was that the Eclipse wasn't as grabbing as either the manga or the TV series.

The Kotaku review is a bad bases, but its more the reviewer's reaction that I could relate to. By no means agreeing with him on adaption quality, but his reaction about the content of the Eclipse. If this 3rd movie fumbles the ball on the Eclipse it would be consistent with the entire trilogy. I would like to make the exact point that the Eclipse scene from Miura's manga is so strong in content, that even a water-downed, twicked, or mis-adaptation can still cause some people to claim that particular scene is one of the worst fictional experiences they know of. To me, thats saying a lot. Out of all the tragic fictional stories involving horror I know of, that the Eclipse scene challenges all of them. As you mentioned Walter, it would indeed be be a failure of unprecedented proportions if they screw it up entirely.

I still wonder though if it will be any good. For me part of the reason the eclipse was such a shock and an emotional ride in the manga and the 97 anime series was that the other hawks were fleshed out so much more. You got to know them a lot better and it made it all that more heart breaking to see them all die. With the last two movies I felt like if I were someone who didn't know about the series and just went into these films, I wouldn't really know anything about the other characters other then Guts, Casca and Griffith.

I still refuse to lose hope of the new Berserk project,I'm disappointed too they still cutted lots of stuff even further then the TV series,but I still having my hope they will replace format to OVA(new TV series is unlikly because all the violence), the thing I do most hope, they will bring back guts past(his Mother,and Gambino) cuz we still have small plot arc in the manga long after the eclipse focusing on is youth,which I do hope will be shown in expended way .
things like wyald sadly not going to happen most likely :judo:,not just it doesn't make sense anymore long after he supposed to be dead,animated plot arc with him probably going to angry lots of organization for women :troll:

but I still want him and the burning queen back :sad:

button line
we at least we finally past the eclipse and having the skull knight :badbone:

I personally can't wait to see the 3rd movie and especially the eclipse. :guts:
I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed but did they mention anything about Godot or showed him in a screenshot? Cuz in the Band of the Harks Twitter page they had the last quiz and one of the questions was "which of the following characters didn't appear in the 3rd movie?" (at least, That's what was translated to me) and the choices were: a-Godot, b-Old lady fortune teller, c-Erica and d-Anna. The right answer to that was none other that Godot :schnoz:
What do you think guys?
I know alot will be pissed. That's for sure :ganishka

Walter said:
Come on dude... there's no need for such hyperbole. It's a goddamned Kotaku review. Did you really expect that it would have high standards?

I guess you're right

Dragonfly said:
I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed but did they mention anything about Godot or showed him in a screenshot? Cuz in the Band of the Harks Twitter page they had the last quiz and one of the questions was "which of the following characters didn't appear in the 3rd movie?" (at least, That's what was translated to me) and the choices were: a-Godot, b-Old lady fortune teller, c-Erica and d-Anna. The right answer to that was none other that Godot :schnoz:
What do you think guys?

Wasn't old lady fortune teller the one that does not appear?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
I was hoping he would mention what bits they kept after the eclipse. We know that there are pictures of Erika and Rickert in the cave but I wonder if they will even keep the 'Escape' episode, the apostle he kills or just go right from the cave to donning the black swordsman armor.

It's likely to be severely cut down.

Jaze1618 said:
At this point I don't really expect them to bother fixing anything. Rather I suspect they just steamroll through the rest of the story in the same carefree approach they established with these first three.

Of course.

Death May Die said:
I would like to make the exact point that the Eclipse scene from Miura's manga is so strong in content, that even a water-downed, twicked, or mis-adaptation can still cause some people to claim that particular scene is one of the worst fictional experiences they know of.

The problem is that the Occultation ceremony is not just shocking because it's "graphic". Its impact on the viewer is the result of careful crafting, and it wouldn't take much to unbalance it. There's a lot of finesse in how it's done in the manga, a lot of work done all thorought the Golden Age arc just to make it so the betrayal is painful beyond words to the reader, as much as it is to Guts and Casca. It goes as far as it possibly can but is never distasteful or gratuitous, and that's why it's so potent and so good. Sure, there's gore and nudity, but it's not glorified, it's not done to amuse the reader. Are these people going to get this subtle balance right? I don't think so.

tama chan said:
For me part of the reason the eclipse was such a shock and an emotional ride in the manga and the 97 anime series was that the other hawks were fleshed out so much more. You got to know them a lot better and it made it all that more heart breaking to see them all die. With the last two movies I felt like if I were someone who didn't know about the series and just went into these films, I wouldn't really know anything about the other characters other then Guts, Casca and Griffith.

Exactly. And in the absence of those feelings for the characters, what do they have left? Sheer shock-value. So weak. Such a waste. A travesty, once again.

JackQ said:
the thing I do most hope, they will bring back guts past(his Mother,and Gambino) cuz we still have small plot arc in the manga long after the eclipse focusing on is youth,which I do hope will be shown in expended way

Don't dream.

Aazealh said:
It's likely to be severely cut down.

Of course.

The problem is that the Occultation ceremony is not just shocking because it's "graphic". Its impact on the viewer is the result of careful crafting, and it wouldn't take much to unbalance it. There's a lot of finesse in how it's done in the manga, a lot of work done all thorought the Golden Age arc just to make it so the betrayal is painful beyond words to the reader, as much as it is to Guts and Casca. It goes as far as it possibly can but is never distasteful or gratuitous, and that's why it's so potent and so good. Sure, there's gore and nudity, but it's not glorified, it's not done to amuse the reader. Are these people going to get this subtle balance right? I don't think so.

I agree with the Eclipse and Golden Age arc thing. I don't understand why Miura doesn't win worldwide awards for crafting such a fantastic story, especially with the Golden Age arc character development and how it ends. Oh wait... I do understand. Famous prizes are given to people that can never compare with Miura, because the people who nominate and vote them are ignorant of the awesome media that manga is and give awards to works that compared to Berserk would seem quite average. And I'm not talking just about manga either. Why hasn't Susumu Hirasawa ever won an award for being the musical genius he is, for example? Maybe because he's not famous, and that's because most people have average taste. Or how Takehiko Inoue didn't win the Eisner award for best writer/artist because the people that decided like shitty american comics more (which most if not all have dull and boring imagination no matter how well they're written)

SuperVegetto said:
I don't understand why Miura doesn't win worldwide awards for crafting such a fantastic story, especially with the Golden Age arc character development and how it ends.

Worldwide or not, Miura did win the Award for Excellence of the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize for Berserk back in 2002.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
I know, but that's Japan only and isn't it like a silver award?

Not really, it's not how the awards were set up (for info, that one doesn't exist anymore). Anyway, let's try to stay on topic please.

Dragonfly said:
What do you think guys?

So is the third movie going to imply that Erica lives alone? Or is she just going to be some sexy wench that Rickert picks up while he's getting groceries for the Hawks?

This seems to be a common question regarding the changes in these movies... but what's the point of including Erica without Godot?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SamNeillium said:
This seems to be a common question regarding the changes in these movies... but what's the point of including Erica without Godot?
Arbitrary changes are a part of film adaptations. That's just how these things work, man. Don't you know, it'll never be 1:1! Why should it be? :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Julalien said:
Nope! There are additional images at the very end of the book featuring Rosine as she appears starting in episode 112 after she transforms to battle Guts.

Well, if they've already done that much work on her (and you said there was more of her than the Count, probable cameos aside), that certainly implies what they have in mind next; in any case, not a good sign for the Desire's Guardian Angels movie so many of us wanted to see. If they want to keep the movie format, theatrical or not, it would be easy enough to start a new trilogy with Berserk: Conviction Arc I - Lost Children. They might even ignore the Black Swordsman arc altogether; I think they said they wanted to adapt everything, but they said a lot of things and that one has already proven false.

...They'd probably still add the Apostle sex scene from the Black Swordsman arc to the front of a Lost Children movie though, the one thing that arguably should be removed. It'd double as the 10 minute preview, since it will easily be that long, as the characters will try several positions and both visibly climax, with blood spraying from the brand and Guts' arm cannon going off at the same moment. Yes, they continue after her transformation, and let's just say Guts is in the mood to eat some some pasta!
gutsbarf.gif

SuperVegetto said:
I guess you're right

Wasn't old lady fortune teller the one that does not appear?

Actually, I answered the question with "Anna" the first time thinking that they will remove any existence of Charlotte in movie 3 and it was wrong. The next time I was so confused and thought it is impossible that Godot or Erica or The old lady will be absent from the movie. That's why I answered again "Old lady" which was also wrong. The 3rd time I was more confused because we all know that Godot and Erica could never be separated! So I answered Godot (cuz pics of Erica were already shown) and it was the right answer... I guess we will be missing the old man this time :judo:

Dragonfly said:
Actually, I answered the question with "Anna" the first time thinking that they will remove any existence of Charlotte in movie 3 and it was wrong. The next time I was so confused and thought it is impossible that Godot or Erica or The old lady will be absent from the movie. That's why I answered again "Old lady" which was also wrong. The 3rd time I was more confused because we all know that Godot and Erica could never be separated! So I answered Godot (cuz pics of Erica were already shown) and it was the right answer... I guess we will be missing the old man this time :judo:

But...but... we see Erica. And... we see Guts get geared up to be the Black Swordsman...

:isidro:

Oooooh! I know! They must have combined Erica and Godot. Erica is going to be some sort of master child blacksmith. :ubik:

Fair to say the majority of posters in this topic lately have been vocal about negative things related to the movie franchise, be it movie 3 or 2 (1 further back) which is totally fair guys. I know it's warranted enough, don't get me wrong. Just wanna know, for a sort of statistic, how many of you purchased movies 1 and 2 so far or simply pirated it? Also, if you remotely or vehemently hated the 2 movies so far, are you going to watch movie 3 or skip it? Because a lot of reviews for movie 2 were vocal about "how could they cut this or that" when we're smart enough to know it's bound to happen, you know, so what expectations do you have from movie 3?

IncantatioN said:
Fair to say the majority of posters in this topic lately have been vocal about negative things related to the movie franchise, be it movie 3 or 2 (1 further back) which is totally fair guys. I know it's warranted enough, don't get me wrong. Just wanna know, for a sort of statistic, how many of you purchased movies 1 and 2 so far or simply pirated it? Also, if you remotely or vehemently hated the 2 movies so far, are you going to watch movie 3 or skip it? Because a lot of reviews for movie 2 were vocal about "how could they cut this or that" when we're smart enough to know it's bound to happen, you know, so what expectations do you have from movie 3?

I actually quite enjoyed the first movie for the most part, and have it on blu-ray. I thought the second one was good, while still being frustrating with some of the things that were taken out. I'll get it on blu-ray once it comes out in the US.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy the third movie too. If I can get past the random exclusion of Godot. For some reason this one change is the thing that's finally pushing me over the edge with these adaptions. It just seems like the most pointless change, and until I see how the movie plays out, I can't even begin to wrap my head around this one. Not that I think seeing the movie will really help with that... :ganishka:

IncantatioN said:

I watched the first movie on YouTube and watched the second with a friend who ordered it.
I bought the first movie from Best Buy and plan to buy the second one as well. I plan to watch the third movie the same way I did the second.

Reviews are always to be taken with a grain of salt, whether positive or negative. I read a lot of reviews and heard a lot of bad stuff about the first movie before watching it myself. When I did, I liked it. It was as I said in my mini review. "Not as good as I was hoping for, but not as bad as some are saying." On the other hand I heard the same stuff about the second movie and found that one really underwhelming.

Reviews do not discourage me from watching a movie, they may heighten or lower my expectations, but I'm still going to watch it. I'm not expecting to be blown away by movie 3 nor am I planning to bring all the volumes covered and compare scene for scene.

I purchased the blurays initially to get the most out of them, the "complete package" if you will - to inspect as closely as possible. Call it "closure" or w/e. Generally I guess its good for promotional purposes but Im quite undecided wether I should display them on my collection shelf considering my obvious disappointment when going deep, I mean its not like it´d be the first thing I ´d recommend... And so I find myself constantly putting them up and taking them down again (now that the last repaint and Guts/Casca will be part of the family I wont have the space either way though)

After all discussing on here though its almost as if I regret supporting these releases. Though I guess Im kinda two-faced and hopeless cause I most certainly will be getting the third one too, for pretty much the same reasons.

JoeZeon said:
Reviews do not discourage me from watching a movie, they may heighten or lower my expectations, but I'm still going to watch it. I'm not expecting to be blown away by movie 3 nor am I planning to bring all the volumes covered and compare scene for scene.
I agree.

IncantatioN said:

I bought the first movie. Will watch all Berserk anime even if they're a crap adaptation, just to see for myself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SamNeillium said:
I have a feeling I'll enjoy the third movie too. If I can get past the random exclusion of Godot. For some reason this one change is the thing that's finally pushing me over the edge with these adaptions. It just seems like the most pointless change, and until I see how the movie plays out, I can't even begin to wrap my head around this one.

Honestly given all they've already done this would actually be a rather minor change in comparison.

All that's left to see now is: Are they retarded enough to actually skip The Black Swordsman arc? (even after Miura asked them to do it, and that it's an amazing and not unimportant arc and all)

Top Bottom