Berserk Saga Project News

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
SamNeillium said:
If I can get past the random exclusion of Godot.

What makes the arbitrary exclusions even more bemusing is the awkward attempts at fan service with cameos by characters that are not only unnecessary but completely foreign to this part of the story, while ones that actually belong are cut with indifference. Hey look, it's Schierke and Isidro in the credits, and Azan, Serpico and Farnese at the ball, plus there's Anna worked into a scene, and oh wow look at that everybody it's Puck! Wasn't that some useless, consequences free fun? See how much the filmmakers care and really get it? By the way, here's a short list of characters that won't be appearing: Foss, Owen, Griffith's squire, Valencia, the Bakiraka, Wyald, the Black Dog Knights, Rochine, and now Godot. The list grows even more telling when you consider the characters that no longer have meaningful roles in the story (everyone from the Queen to the other members of Falcons). Really, people like this? Get outta here.

SamNeillium said:
For some reason this one change is the thing that's finally pushing me over the edge with these adaptions. It just seems like the most pointless change, and until I see how the movie plays out, I can't even begin to wrap my head around this one.

I feel the same way about them cutting Zodd from the second movie. It's not that it's the biggest cut, but that's the thing, it was such a small, easily kept moment that it wasn't necessary to cut it at all; you wouldn't even think they'd bother to. As a matter of fact, it's exactly the type of big action shot that they otherwise go out of their way to include and emphasize. Plus, it's not insignificant, and even more so to this anemic adaptation since with all the cuts Zodd literally represents the only supernatural creature present in either of the first two films, and now that continuity is almost completely lost from the first film to the third. You wouldn't even know Berserk had that kind of supernatural or fantasy tone from watching movie II. Kind of a big failure when you don't even convey that, and all it would have taken was one extra shot or two. Time they instead chose to use on a flag, a guy with an eye patch, and cameos by characters that weren't supposed to appear.

IncantatioN said:
Fair to say the majority of posters in this topic lately have been vocal about negative things related to the movie franchise, be it movie 3 or 2 (1 further back) which is totally fair guys. I know it's warranted enough, don't get me wrong. Just wanna know, for a sort of statistic, how many of you purchased movies 1 and 2 so far or simply pirated it? Also, if you remotely or vehemently hated the 2 movies so far, are you going to watch movie 3 or skip it? Because a lot of reviews for movie 2 were vocal about "how could they cut this or that" when we're smart enough to know it's bound to happen, you know, so what expectations do you have from movie 3?

I got the 1st and 2nd on Bluray and DVD and will get the 3rd when it comes out on both as well to support Berserk.
As for the movies themselves, I enjoyed them (watched the 1st 9 times and the 2nd 4 times so far :griffnotevil:) I found the first movie to be quiet good and the 2nd better (screw ups aside)
Disappointed? Not that much to be honest. But as I said in my 1st movie review, I'm watching this as it is. It's a new "adaptation" and a new way to relive the Golden Age Arc in motion while waiting for Miura's awesome chapters to come out. I really hope Studio 4C learn from the mistakes they made and hope to see more Berserk animated, especially the Black Swordsman Arc!

Griffith

tama chan said:
If Godot really isn't in the third movie.... did Erika make the dragonslayer? :???: Sounds absurd but I'm starting to think this could happen.

I doubt they'll go that route whether or not Godot is going to be a part of the saga project at all.

SuperVegetto said:
Maybe they had Godot make it before and he died before the events in the third movie happened? And then Guts just finds The Dragonslayer and takes it

Yeah, it could be he's already dead, or maybe he's just never seen on screen but could be introduced later (I'm not holding my breath).

Playing devil's advocate here, but Godot doesn't actually show up after the Eclipse until Guts is practically out the door, it's Rickert and Erica that do most of the legwork. So, while it's certainly strange that they're apparently going to outfit Guts in the Black Swordsman armor without the guy that made it all, if they're truncating all those scenes anyway it wouldn't be hard to skip over Godot's direct involvement. Maybe they'll cut to Guts basically already wearing it like in the TV series, except it will be Rickert and Erica seeing him off (geez, if you combine both animes they're almost complete... BERSERK: RECUT, Phase II =).

Dragonfly said:
watched the 1st 9 times and the 2nd 4 times so far :griffnotevil:
That's pretty crazy, I don't even watch good movies that much. If I may ask, what's so captivating about them that you keep rewatching them? Just really curious.

Griffith said:
I doubt they'll go that route whether or not Godot is going to be a part of the saga project at all.

Yeah, it could be he's already dead, or maybe he's just never seen on screen but could be introduced later (I'm not holding my breath).

Playing devil's advocate here, but Godot doesn't actually show up after the Eclipse until Guts is practically out the door, it's Rickert and Erica that do most of the legwork. So, while it's certainly strange that they're apparently going to outfit Guts in the Black Swordsman armor without the guy that made it all, if they're truncating all those scenes anyway it wouldn't be hard to skip over Godot's direct involvement. Maybe they'll cut to Guts basically already wearing it like in the TV series, except it will be Rickert and Erica seeing him off (geez, if you combine both animes they're almost complete... BERSERK: RECUT, Phase II =).

I was mostly joking but yea, your explanation sounds like the most reasonable for what will probably happen. It's strange to think about though as they would be cutting out the sparks dialogue and so many other scenes if they decide not to use him.

Griffith

tama chan said:
It's strange to think about though as they would be cutting out the sparks dialogue and so many other scenes if they decide not to use him.

Indeed, but what are some sparks when you've already put out a bonfire, right? Fittingly, if I remember correctly Godot's final words were tangentially about the importance of the finer details in life. Oh well.

godot.jpg

IncantatioN said:
Just wanna know, for a sort of statistic, how many of you purchased movies 1 and 2 so far or simply pirated it?
I haven't seen any of the movies yet. I wonder how many people here fit that statistic. To be fair, I've only engaged in criticism of the alterations thoroughly documented here, and stayed away from all other aspects to be judged. I'm holding out for a box set, because that's how I'd like to own it, and I'd like to just watch it all in one sitting.

It is disappointing though, because I haven't watched the '97 adaptation in awhile for a lot of the same reasons I can see this one collecting dust in the long run as well, and based on the reviews here, the '97 adaptation was the more thorough one. I have no problem just reading the manga for my fix.

BerserkMJM said:
I haven't seen any of the movies yet. I wonder how many people here fit that statistic. To be fair, I've only engaged in criticism of the alterations thoroughly documented here, and stayed away from all other aspects to be judged. I'm holding out for a box set, because that's how I'd like to own it, and I'd like to just watch it all in one sitting.

It is disappointing though, because I haven't watched the '97 adaptation in awhile for a lot of the same reasons I can see this one collecting dust in the long run as well, and based on the reviews here, the '97 adaptation was the more thorough one. I have no problem just reading the manga for my fix.

The old anime while having many flaws, is still vastly superior to this adaptation

97 anime was blast for me now when I watch it and that silly animation it seems pretty silly though it's more faithful to manga than these new series. I don't really expect anything grand fom third movie,just wanna see how Eclipse is handled.

While I think the animation was not so good, especially terrible and only showing simple screenshot during many of the action scenes, the "oldness" of the animation in my opinion fits with the Berserk world (along with the masterpiece OST), it gave me a feeling of nostalgia the first time I watched it. I think it made the Berserk world more enchanting, but it could've been only the music giving me such feelings probably

As bad looking the old anime is I consider it one of the best anime series I know of, thats what a great story can do. I felt this way about the old anime before I ever knew Berserk was a manga and still till this day I love it as do many I know.

BerserkMJM said:
I haven't seen any of the movies yet. I wonder how many people here fit that statistic.

I haven't seen any of the movies either. I'll probably see them at some point but I'm not in a hurry.

Griffith said:
What makes the arbitrary exclusions even more bemusing is the awkward attempts at fan service with cameos by characters that are not only unnecessary but completely foreign to this part of the story, while ones that actually belong are cut with indifference.

I'm not saying it objectively better or worse. It just personally bugs me. I don't even really know why it bugs me more than most of the other changes. Maybe it's just because he's a character that I assumed would be in it no matter what, or because including Erica without him just makes no sense. There are plenty of other changes that are worse though, of course.

Griffith said:
I feel the same way about them cutting Zodd from the second movie. It's not that it's the biggest cut, but that's the thing, it was such a small, easily kept moment that it wasn't necessary to cut it at all; you wouldn't even think they'd bother to.

Exactly.

smogass said:
That's pretty crazy, I don't even watch good movies that much. If I may ask, what's so captivating about them that you keep rewatching them? Just really curious.

For its artistic value except for some of the crappy CG scenes. And because it's Berserk and I pretty much enjoy everything related to it :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BerserkMJM said:
... I'd like to just watch it all in one sitting.

That's what's planned in Japan for a special screening on 2/15 in Osaka: All three movies, back to back: http://ticket.pia.jp/pia/ticketInformation.do?lotRlsCd=06689

I can't imagine the pain of enduring that... Movie 1 was the shortest and *fade to black* .... *fade from black* took me two viewings. *fade to black* :magni:

I'm actually gonna have a little marathon every time a new berserk film makes it to North America only question is subbed or dubbed and what kind of Soda and Junk food to stock up on

Top Bottom