Berserk Saga Project News

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Surprising number of girls in the audience, and prize-winners.

My favorite reaction quote after the double feature: "You could see everything very clearly."

Also: "It was a rollercoaster of bloodshed gore." Could this have been the guy who writes the blurbs on the back of the Dark Horse volumes?!

Walter said:
Likely referring to Adon, who attempts to demoralize Casca on two occasions for being a woman on the battlefield. But this statement is kind of ridiculous. The character is just an ignorant asshole. He put Casca down and refused to accept that she was a worthy opponent because of her gender. It ended up getting him killed. What more is there to say?

I was going to say pretty much the exact same thing Walter. However, I decided that it was such a ridiculous accusation that it didn't even deserve a rebuttal.

Walter said:
Likely referring to Adon, who attempts to demoralize Casca on two occasions for being a woman on the battlefield. But this statement is kind of ridiculous. The character is just an ignorant asshole. He put Casca down and refused to accept that she was a worthy opponent because of her gender. It ended up getting him killed. What more is there to say?

It's an ANN review, that's all that needs to be said.

It's not like Adon is made out to be the voice of reason though. He's written as a misogynistic douchbag who gets a very phallic death as a result of his underestimation of Casca. Having a misogynistic character who is recognized within the canon as exactly what he is doesn't give the story a misogynistic setting.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Lukis said:
Here's a proper link ,IncantatioN didn't copy full link.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB-IacwaTv8&feature=youtu.be

Oh, there's my friend at around :52-:53 winning a Guts production sketch. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE. No not really. :ganishka:
5FjkPac.jpg

If you wanna see it bigger:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/140de40eeb52fc476506e7e34f50bb6e/tumblr_mmo3cgU8ge1qecd9qo1_1280.jpg

Even if I didn't like the CG art and didn't really care for the character designs, this still would have been a nice grab. Too bad she didn't get the manga.

That review... :schierke:
Yes, Casca couldn't fight and got a fever because she had her period.
What is harder to forgive is the notion that a woman in her late teens or early twenties would be totally incapacitated by something natural that she experiences every single month. This sort of anti-female mythology does no one any favors and drastically decreases Casca's power as the lone female character with agency at this point in the story.
What the fuck honestly.
Did the reviewer ever have a period?

Personally that's one of my favourite scenes in the whole manga because of how realistic it is. I was impressed by that a male writer cared about this.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Eesh. Yeah, I'm with you. Glad to know those fond memories of being hunched over in my school's bathroom wishing for a quick death are just a misogynistic myth. Great that someone could step up and straighten that out for me!

Another review of the second film that was just posted well written in my opinion anyway

http://www.fandompost.com/2013/05/16/berserk-golden-age-arc-ii-battle-for-doldrey-review/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
puppet12ca said:
well written in my opinion anyway
I'm just two paragraphs into this review, and already I'd say it's pretty terribly written.

"As the adaptation of the manga, streamlined as it is here, continues with the second feature, we get primarily one larger story that takes place in it but also a number of smaller ones."

"The first installment in the trilogy did far better than I expected when it came to providing the right feeling even if it was going over familiar territory because it made it feel fresh as it had the right kind of pacing and the progress overall covered the right ground, even if it felt like it excised some of my favorite quieter moments from the TV series itself and the original manga."

Try reading these sentences aloud. There are also comma splices, misplaced apostrophes and misplaced modifiers all over the place. If you like the guy's opinion on the movie that's fine, but let's not call this "well written" in any regard. It's also less a review and more of a walkthrough of each segment of the movie.

Walter said:
I'm just two paragraphs into this review, and already I'd say it's pretty terribly written.

"As the adaptation of the manga, streamlined as it is here, continues with the second feature, we get primarily one larger story that takes place in it but also a number of smaller ones."

"The first installment in the trilogy did far better than I expected when it came to providing the right feeling even if it was going over familiar territory because it made it feel fresh as it had the right kind of pacing and the progress overall covered the right ground, even if it felt like it excised some of my favorite quieter moments from the TV series itself and the original manga."

Try reading these sentences aloud. There are also comma splices, misplaced apostrophes and misplaced modifiers all over the place. If you like the guy's opinion on the movie that's fine, but let's not call this "well written" in any regard. It's also less a review and more of a walkthrough of each segment of the movie.

Jebus. Seeing as the reviewer's name is Chris Beveridge, I'm assuming English is his first language, but looking at the way he writes, it really feels like it isn't.

Walter said:

My English is pretty bad, but damn that's one long sentence. :ganishka:

I'm just glad that these reviewers who have probably never-ever read the manga are enjoying these movies and giving these high scores. Maybe people will decide to give manga a try and then will see how utterly superior it is.

I'm surprised you guys don't know who Chris Beveridge is. He's much like Walter in a way, but in the overall anime dvd/bluray world. He was the founder and caretaker of animeondvd.com which was pretty much THE website to go to in the late 90s and 2000s for anime needs and discussions. It had a huge active forum with intelligible users with reviews, previews, anime discussions, buy/trade/sell and so forth. It was so large that even anime companies and licensors would use that site to touch base with their fans. When I was at Media Blasters (Kenshin, Berserk, Voltron), every time we wanted to contact and discuss with fans and consumers, we would use animeondvd for a resource.

Chris Beveridge, though I can't comment on his gramatical prowess, has a huge say in the community. I've been reading his reviews since I was in college. His reviews even got me to buy and watch the entire Battle Athletes anime, which is about a bunch of girls from different planets that join this super hardcore cross planetary Olympics, hahahaah. Anyways, I enjoyed it thoroughly actually, as well as other animes he has recommended, so I learned to respect his opinions quite a bit, as does most of the community.

In other words, I'm pretty happy that he gave such a glowing review of both films. Although animeondvd.com is no longer around (I believe it got bought out by mania.com), I know Chris still has a ton of followers and is still a huge voice in the anime community. I know most of you can't stand the films, but I'm glad they are getting some positive press to the mainstream audience as of lately.

Still anxiously awaiting the third!!! One month away!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
I'm surprised you guys don't know who Chris Beveridge is.
The name did ring a bell, but I couldn't identify where. Makes sense now.

Chris Beveridge, though I can't comment on his gramatical prowess,
Which is all I was criticizing, since puppet called it "well written."

Gill said:
That review... :schierke:What the fuck honestly.
Did the reviewer ever have a period?

Personally that's one of my favourite scenes in the whole manga because of how realistic it is. I was impressed by that a male writer cared about this.

My thoughts exactly! I don't know a single woman who hasn't had at least a period or two that made her ridiculously sick, (let alone the poor souls who get horribly sick every single month!)

I was actually slightly offended, not just as a Berserk fan, but as a woman when I read that.

Ah well, I just think that review wanted to show that she knew what the word misogynistic meant; she used it often enough :serpico:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Glad I spent the time to read through the reviews of the first two films, not missing out on anything if I skip them. Not sure I'll watch the third film either mainly because the eclipse is too damn depressing, already watched it once via the TV series and I think that's enough for one lifetime.

Deci

KazigluBey said:
Glad I spent the time to read through the reviews of the first two films, not missing out on anything if I skip them. Not sure I'll watch the third film either mainly because the eclipse is too damn depressing, already watched it once via the TV series and I think that's enough for one lifetime.

I'm actually re-reading the series for the umpteenth time and am on the Eclipse right now, it still surprises me how much affect it can have on me. No matter how prepared I think I am it still fills me with the same dread it did my first time experiencing it years and years ago. I'm excited to see it done again the third movie.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Deci said:
I'm actually re-reading the series for the umpteenth time and am on the Eclipse right now, it still surprises me how much affect it can have on me. No matter how prepared I think I am it still fills me with the same dread it did my first time experiencing it years and years ago. I'm excited to see it done again the third movie.

The manga version really doesn't have the same affect like seeing it animated. I can read the manga version over and over and it's still crazy but it doesn't make the same impression. I saw the TV series before I read the manga so that's part of it I imagine.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I finally ordered the Movie 3 Blu-Ray with super duper fast shipping. This should be an interesting experience. I'm looking forward to it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I finally ordered the Movie 3 Blu-Ray with super duper fast shipping. This should be an interesting experience. I'm looking forward to it.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Ea2JCj6_Njk&p=n#/0;9

Top Bottom