Berserk Saga Project News

Walter said:
I don't think your analogy works for the Redux project (which was created by one of our forum members, btw). It combines the better parts of two fundamentally incomplete adaptations.

I think the point he was trying to make was that Berserk Redux had the cinematic pace without cutting out all of those essential story and character points, something that apologists for the film said was an 'either / or" scenario. Granted, some of the story points like the King's incest, the Bakiraka, and Wyald were in neither the films or anime, so of course they could not be included in a fan-edit. Still, I think it stands up better than either the films or anime on their own. :serpico:

It's a
Skeleton said:
If the medium doesn't allow you to make anything but a horrible product then perhaps you shouldn't make the product in the first place.

Well I think you can guess my stance on this. It's all in the execution, and the original films did well in some areas and absolutely awful in others. Actually I thought pacing was one of the low points for the films often times, with unnecessary abridgment and anticlimactic endings. But don't blame the medium. There was definitely a good series of movies to be made out of the Berserk story, it was just poor choices that hurt both the anime and the films. Luckily though, those poor choices didn't always overlap which is what allowed the Redux series to fix a lot of those problems.

ApostleBob said:
Well I think you can guess my stance on this. It's all in the execution, and the original films did well in some areas and absolutely awful in others. Actually I thought pacing was one of the low points for the films often times, with unnecessary abridgment and anticlimactic endings. But don't blame the medium. There was definitely a good series of movies to be made out of the Berserk story, it was just poor choices that hurt both the anime and the films. Luckily though, those poor choices didn't always overlap which is what allowed the Redux series to fix a lot of those problems.

Agreed. It had nothing to do with the medium. These movies were bad because it was a good, ol' fashioned money grab. Nothing less, nothing more. Make some movies using the most shallow interpretation of the manga, slap the Berserk brand on it, and the rubes will come a runnin' with cash in hand. Cha-ching.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I debated about actually posting this info, as it's unconfirmed and a bit confusing, but...

This weekend at Anime Expo a friend was at the Studio 4C/Production IG panel where somebody asked about more Berserk movies and the director there responded in vague terms with what amounted to "A TV anime is being worked on taking place after the movies." Nobody reported on it and it's only secondhand info to me, so take it with a huge grain of salt and keep an ear/eye out for concrete info.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That reminds me:

In 3rd grade, I had a friend whose uncle worked for Nintendo as a janitor and he let me play a prototype of Super Mario Bros. 5!

Honestly, without an actual source it's hard to take this seriously..

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Honestly, without an actual source it's hard to take this seriously..

That's the point of my post, it's basically barely above a rumor and even the people that were there and heard the info are confused by how it was worded. It's not like I said THIS IS 100% TRUE BERSERK TV ANIME CONFIRMED or something like that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
That's the point of my post, it's basically barely above a rumor and even the people that were there and heard the info are confused by how it was worded. It's not like I said THIS IS 100% TRUE BERSERK TV ANIME CONFIRMED or something like that.

Well, perhaps I went a bit far. But I saw something very similar yesterday on reddit in two places, neither with any actual source, posted by "anonymoususer009." Without a real announcement, video, etc., it sure sounds to me like a poorly concocted bullshit story with ample bait.

EDIT: Dug around to find when or where this would have happened, and during Anime Expo 2015, Eiko Takana did a panel with Keiji Inafune (Mega Man series), mostly to announce Studio 4C's collaboration with Inafune's Comcept on Red Ash, which of course garnered a lot of press -- no mention of a big Berserk announcement. She also attended a Production IG panel on July 4, which was mostly a Q&A, featuring Tanaka along with about 30 other people. But no info on that panel that I've read other than what Dark's friend reports. It's possible a YouTube video will surface of the panel.

So, that part of the rumor does check out. There was a Production IG panel over the weekend where Eiko Tanaka was a guest speaker. But no "official" word anywhere on the Internet about any Berserk announcement.

Hey, can someone translate these news from the Berserk Saga Project? --> http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=1904

Let's hope it's something good :D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cid said:
Hey, can someone translate these news from the Berserk Saga Project? --> http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=1904

Let's hope it's something good :D

It's of no consequence.

if I am not mistaken doesn't Japan have a major Anime Expo at the end of year.? also the guy who make's Metal Gear Rising wanted to work on a Berserk or Kill la kill game

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
berserk36 said:
if I am not mistaken doesn't Japan have a major Anime Expo at the end of year.? also the guy who make's Metal Gear Rising wanted to work on a Berserk or Kill la kill game

The last movie was released in theaters over 2 years ago. I think we'd have heard something by now. The news about Keji Saito's comments holds little water and wouldn't even bear fruit for a couple years.

I think this is dead (and good riddance).

Delta Phi said:
The last movie was released in theaters over 2 years ago. I think we'd have heard something by now. The news about Keji Saito's comments holds little water and wouldn't even bear fruit for a couple years.

depend's if it selled poorly then the it could be dead they should have just with the OVA.

berserk36 said:
depend's if it selled poorly then the it could be dead they should have just with the OVA.

Apparently they sold okay. Probably not enough to justify another theatrical release (which would be bad idea due to butthurt censor nerds). OVA remains the best option. Look at Hellsing Ultimate. Blood for days.

I saw a bunch of people posting pictures of their dvds on Twitter. I'm not willing to put the effort in to actual confirm it, but people were buying them. I did it the smart way and got a friend to buy them instead. If I actually spent money them, I would have been pissed off more so than necessary.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-10-24/berserker-guts-zodd-resin-kits-available-for-pre-order/.94561

so there making some berserk toys yea at least some news regarding berserk even its just some figures the gutts one looks bad ass,.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
This is completely unrelated to the Film Saga Project

Is anything related to it at this point? I'm not seeing or hearing much of a "saga" or even "project" going on, which, despite my dislike of the overall execution of the films, bums me out since it was such a wasted opportunity, if only to further the amount of Berserk material animated. I only mention it because I happened to watch some of the third movie yesterday and it occurred to me that in a vacuum it was still exciting to see things like Skull Knight flying around on his horse or even just post-eclipse aftermath that wasn't previously animated. It drives me nuts that they didn't just pick up where the last anime series left off. It would be one thing if they were like "Let's do this right first," but clearly they have reverence for the previous, and unfortunately superior, anime which they repeatedly reference over the manga. So, why repeat it at all? We could have at least had Black Swordsman and Lost Children movies, and they almost certainly would have been better just for being new and having far less ground to cover. I would have even preferred a similarly truncated trilogy leading to Griffith's incarnation, or... just about anything but what they actually did. :ganishka:

Sorry for the retro movie rant, but I just saw it the other day and was dumbfounded all over again, especially since it appears that any future plans are all but dead, which may be for the best, but ideally I'd still rather not see the property run into the ground in any fashion to begin with. There's no reason Berserk couldn't be made into an awesome adaptation, one worthy in its own right. Oh well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
it was such a wasted opportunity

Yep, this has been the biggest bummer for me ever since I first understood what was happening. I guess we just can't have it all.

Griffith said:
in a vacuum it was still exciting to see things like Skull Knight flying around on his horse or even just post-eclipse aftermath that wasn't previously animated.

That basically sums up anything anyone liked about this, even those who don't realize it.

Delta Phi said:

I had a lot of excitement for this project when I first heard about it but after seeing the first movie I was basically done with it. I was orgasmic over the thought of seeing this done in the right manga canonical order where Guts is first shown with the female apostle and he blows her head off and him being shown to be kinda of ruthless and heartless and...well a dick to everyone, only to lead up to that last moment before we go to flash back of Guts pained filled face, letting us know that he was not as savage and heartless and very human and hurting. The whole "prologue" of the manga before the switch to his childhood and meeting with the Falcons is so titillating and full of build up for the golden age arc that i am absolutely baffled that they did not start with the manga's "beginning" of Berserk's story rather than just jump into the Golden age arc. They even manged to repeat the same mistake that is my biggest gripe with the anime series is. The removal of Guts and Femto's meeting and Guts savage reaction to him, before the reveal of Griffith when Guts first sees his face when he first removes his helmet. Miura called a lot of attention to Femto's falcon shaped head and then again when we are in the beginning of the golden age arc to Griffith's falcon shaped helmet and you the reader are like--oh snap! that's the monster Guts had such a violent reaction to! And then Griffith just removes his helmet and you are expecting this horrific person and he's almost angelic in appearance. That seen in the manga had so much impact for me when I read the manga version, that I instantly resented that the anime series had left out. I resented it even more that this anime project took out such a powerful visual cue that Miura put in there which emptied the significance of Griffith's face being revealed. Now the scene was just an ordinary introduction scene of some bishshonen looking guy.

I know this movie could not have been a panel by panel adaption of the anime, but if it was attempting to be more manga faithful why start with the golden age arc? Hell they could have skipped the golden age all together since there was a well known anime version of it and picked up where it had left off, and just added necassary flash back scenes of Guts relationship to the falcons and Grifiith and Casca were as the story unfolded.

I'm both glad and a little disappointed that this is project is probably dead. Disappointed that it was such a missed opportunity to make this great,
and holding out a little naive hope that maybe other arcs of the story would be handled more respectfully and faithful to the source material. I really wanted to see the black swordsmen arc and Guts battle with Roshine animated, that was my favorite. :ubik: But also glad that if they can't do it justice they are not going to sully the rest of the story.

Top Bottom