Berserk tattoo advice

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
I'm considering adding color to the sleeve. Anyone have input?

I think it works well the way it is, in part because it's based on black & white illustrations to begin with. If you add color it might be difficult to obtain a sleeve that feels like one single cohesive piece while staying faithful to the original tones for each character.

Oburi

All praise Grail
That is an incredible sleeve my friend! Very well done. I think it works great in B&W although, I am very much a color fan myself. If I had done it, I would go color, BUT you have already started and finished yours in B&W so I would leave it as is.

I'm almost finished with a colored half-sleeve of my own that I plan to show off soon (only partially Berserk related). However, once this is finished I am toying with the idea of doing something similar to what you did (in color though). The problem is coming up with a suitable amount of images to form a cohesive collage. There's no shortage of ideas in Berserk but I'd rather have something that shared a similar theme rather than a mishmash. For example just Godhand related images, or a classic Golden Age theme. Its extremely difficult to pick and choose.

You did a great a job though. What was you're process for deciding what to use and did you design it or the artist? Or did you both work together closely?

Oburi said:
Its extremely difficult to pick and choose.

You did a great a job though. What was you're process for deciding what to use and did you design it or the artist? Or did you both work together closely?

Thanks. No joke about difficulty. I literally stressed how I wanted to do it. Drew it out so many different ways and you know, whatever you go with just remember there are a ton of other ways that a sleeve can look good. My ocd really got the best of me during the project. I decided who I for sure wanted and threw those on first had her give some input on how some of the background could go and how making it lighter would let the main characters stand out. The chains from the beast of darkness following down were my idea. My worry was clarity of :SK: because once we started I realized even after blowing the image up the head was still small. Same with puck. There isn't a ton you can do in an inch, lol. I'm going fantasy/comic on my other in color with some of my fav artists Joe jusko, julie bell, vellejo, and such. Want drizzt, wolverine, thanos, batman, apocalypse, cable, and sinister.

Top Bottom