Berserk Void and Griffith cosplay

This's amazing work Kruge, simply WOW!

I can only imagine the struggle you're having to go through because of the complexity of the design. The face, shape of the brain and cape ... everything. Is Monster Clay something that's best suited for sculpts/ busts? Harder/ easier to work with than other kinds of clay? Feel free to share as many pictures of the WIP as you want, different angles (profile, back, from top, etc) it's awesome to see progress shots.

Not much progress since the last update, since I'm working on some online courses for a promotion at work. :mozgus: But thanks for the awesome support!

@Incantation, Monster Clay is wax-based, and I really like the fact that it gives me a solid surface to add more clay and details on to. It really matches with my style of sculpting (I guess?) but I really still consider myself a novice as I don't have a lot of experience with different media, and have only been into it for a few years (and even then, only for props and armor). I see a lot of people using WED clay, which stays wet and seems/is really easy to add detail and shape to quickly. Downside of it is that your shapes can sort of move on you as you add detail because of how soft it is (which really isn't a big deal if you know what you're doing. I've heard complaints about how hard this stuff is, but that's actually what I like about it. I've worked a lot with super sculpey before this, and I really wish I had started with this stuff. Depends on what you like and what your strengths are.

Monster Clay is very forgiving because of how much detail it can hold, and how difficult it is to destroy that detail with the occasional tool that mistakenly swipes over part of your sculpt. With the sculpey, I had to be extremely careful not to destroy a piece of detail I might have fought with for hours, so it made it very tedious and nerve-racking when trying to add those final details... and I never did master getting that stuff smooth (outside of sanding it once it had been baked). I've seen some really great stuff come from some people working with sculpey and I can only just shake my head in frustration at it. I have probably 5 lbs of sculpey left in the fridge I'll likely never use again...

Definitely have quality tools, though, or know how to make your own. I'm going through my third rake because I've broken two already (and this one is getting close... ). Very hard stuff (relative to clays) and can take a while if you're trying to remove (or add on) large quantities at a time, especially because of having to heat it prior to working with it.

I've been lurking to your topic and the level is high! I think the finished product will be really awesome.
I wish I had a bigger printer to make it on one piece :D

Bah, meant color splash (unless I missed something). I have that brain stuck to the wall behind the bust sculpt ... which I spent about an hour on last night correcting the interhemispheric fissure which was off center ... I'm learning things about brain anatomy :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
I figured, but couldn't resist pointing to that double page of pure brains. :void:

Well I'll counter with moar brainz.
DSCN1087_zpswuyvv7le.jpg

Here's a rear view. Just getting started on the neck and shoulders, but they'll mostly be covered by the collar so there won't be much to do there.
DSCN1086_zpshfdk6eht.jpg

That looks amazing, thanks for posting an update! Maybe it's the color and my sleep deprivation that's making me go "I wanna eat that Void chocolate!" ... could you imagine?

Wow, this looks awesome! :ubik: You got some skills!

IncantatioN said:
that's making me go "I wanna eat that Void chocolate!" ... could you imagine?

LOL! Now that would be something! I can see it now, a tasty chocolate Void peeking out of the Easter basket instead of a bunny! :void:

Late to the party, but wow, this is so awesome!!! Great job so far. And yes, we don't mind these WIP pictures at all! We love 'em!

Ok, after basically being unsatisfied with how a lot of the face was, and sitting back and staring at it for a bit, I decided to revise a few key areas based on looking at the reference pics (and noticing differences in detail after re-watching the anime). Getting really close to being able to cast the head itself, and then on to the task of making the armor.

Some detail shots:
DSCN1088_zpsjyzqpphr.jpg

DSCN1090_zpsy4lbn2su.jpg

DSCN1095_zpshxrds6z5.jpg

DSCN1096_zpshjviwjue.jpg

DSCN1097_zpsmg9swmqd.jpg

DSCN1099_zps20jbkqi8.jpg

Still need to do some pushing and pulling on the skin texture but that's just 15 min worth of work just messing around. I like the basic result so I'm going to go from there and add some finer detailing and call it done. The stitches are being a pain, and I've actually worked on it since taking that pic, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Did you give a guy with no nose a nosejob? :void:

This is really coming along. It's pretty incredible.

Now when can we get you on the SkullKast to talk about it...? :daiba:

Thanks! I got some new sculpting tools today (and a few more on the way) that will help me along. I realized a lot of limitations on this project.

Walter said:
Did you give a guy with no nose a nosejob? :void:

This is really coming along. It's pretty incredible.

Now when can we get you on the SkullKast to talk about it...? :daiba:

Haha yeah my schnoz was getting in the way.. :schnoz: I'm sure for the silicone mask some of my nose will be visible and I'll have to black it out with some make-up but when I'm on stilts I doubt anyone will be able to tell. For any resin casts it will look normals.

I get off early Wednesday and I'm off Thursday and Friday :rakshas:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Damn, Kruge! This is getting too real! Loving all the details. And... is that a slow cooker in the back of the first picture? :ganishka: No doubt somehow involved with prepping the materials for sculpting, but I wanted to imagine you enjoying a hearty stew while you sculpted in Void's eyelid stitches.

Ok, putting on some final touches (pics soon) and am down to putting on veins, or no veins (particularly the temple veins, and possibly some brain venation) . I guess it's kind of a point of contention with me: is Void alive? I want to paint up a couple different variants of him, when done: both a hellraiser inspired paint scheme, where everything is nice and fresh, gory and alive, hyperrealistic; as well as a basic anime scheme based on the classic.

I suppose if I sculpt on veins, and decide not to paint them, it's no big deal as they'll be subtle... and the contrary to that is that if I don't sculpt any on, I could always paint them in.

May not matter either way, but wanted to get opinions and maybe add to the discussion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there's any doubt that he has veins, the real question is whether blood flows in them. In any case they're not visibly bulging or anything like thats so my take would be not to bother. You could however try to reinforce how emaciated he is, as that's clearly visible in all close-up shots.

I also struggled with making him look old without making him look elderly. Based on his appearance and a few references when Griffith was being tortured, I'm thinking he was tortured before his ascension, and it had an effect on his appearance as we see it now. Alternatively, I could interpret his appearance as his skin is starting to rot, as his ears have fallen off, and a few patches of skin are missing.

Physically I think he's still a force to be reckoned with, despite clearly not ever having to get physical because of his abilities, as when I scale him up, he's a monster in size. 8' tall and 32" across the shoulders.

Edit: Here's the update. Going to punch the stitches into the silicone after, rather than sculpting them. Same with the threads that are holding his face apart.
DSCN1119_zpsduc3lidk.jpg

DSCN1120_zpsdvkmjygi.jpg

I swear, every time I think I'm close to done, something bothers me about some part of it and I scrape it off and re-sculpt it...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kruge said:
I also struggled with making him look old without making him look elderly. Based on his appearance and a few references when Griffith was being tortured, I'm thinking he was tortured before his ascension, and it had an effect on his appearance as we see it now.

I don't know about him being old, but the torture is a given (damaged skin, cut off ears and nose, mouth and brain exposed...).

Kruge said:
Physically I think he's still a force to be reckoned with, despite clearly not ever having to get physical because of his abilities, as when I scale him up, he's a monster in size. 8' tall and 32" across the shoulders.

Well he benefits from being a supernatural monster. :void: His arms are also impossibly long, and yet despite their thinness I wouldn't want to be smacked by the guy!

Kruge said:
Going to punch the stitches into the silicone after, rather than sculpting them. Same with the threads that are holding his face apart.

Awesome. It's looking pretty good man.

Top Bottom