Berserk Void and Griffith cosplay

Aazealh said:
I don't know about him being old, but the torture is a given (damaged skin, cut off ears and nose, mouth and brain exposed...).

Well he benefits from being a supernatural monster. :void: His arms are also impossibly long, and yet despite their thinness I wouldn't want to be smacked by the guy!

Awesome. It's looking pretty good man.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm basing the age off of some of the images of him with some visible crow's feet, and the turkey neck, which are added to the sculpt. Maybe that put him in his 60s or older when he ascended? idk. Just trying to stay as true as possible to the manga, while also bringing it into reality.

Ok, so one thing at a time, I guess. So close to finishing Void I didn't want to get distracted by the next project, so I'm powering through it. Adding pores, final detailing and texturing, and sorting out areas that might be a problem for casting. Considering this side DONE.

:ubik:

DSCN1124_zpspydsbqhd.jpg

DSCN1121_zpsnrwtm4zn.jpg

Thanks Ken!

@Walter, a lot of poking about with small gauge wire loop tools, through a piece of clear plastic like a sandwich bag ripped open. I specifically use this one:
kemper-wire-loop-tools.jpg
(the top image, w-21). I use that tool a lot, actually...

They make tools specifically for making pores faster, but I think it makes it a bit too perfect, and I don't like to use them on contoured areas (which is most of what a face is, so it doesn't really help me).

Talk about attention to detail and I think you've managed to capture Void's atmosphere or presence quite well! :ubik:

Thanks JMP! Can't tell you how much I've actually pondered Void's history while sculpting this. Has definitely been a study.

Anyway, the bust is finally done. If you see any major problems, speak now or forever hold your peace.

:void:

DSCN1151_zps8bwfyl2w.jpg

DSCN1152_zpshfr2zaed.jpg

DSCN1153_zpse3xsk6nz.jpg

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
This is incredible work, Kruge. Congrats on a job well done! I can't wait to see the additional details once the mask has been cast.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Successful nightmare fuel! :magni:

Really man, it's even better than I imagined it'd be. Looks utterly realistic. What's next?

Can't tell you how much I've actually pondered Void's history while sculpting this. Has definitely been a study.

Yeah, I can imagine! I too was interested in if you had ideas about his face prior to its mutilation. I'm sure no one has ever studied Void's face more than you .

Walter said:
Successful nightmare fuel! :magni:

Really man, it's even better than I imagined it'd be. Looks utterly realistic. What's next?

Eclipse Griffith helmet :carcus: working on it as we speak, actually. Taking a little break from it, but should have the basic shape ready in the next day or so. The last attempt didn't pan out so well, so trying a different technique.

Walter said:
Yeah, I can imagine! I too was interested in if you had ideas about his face prior to its mutilation. I'm sure no one has ever studied Void's face more than you .

I can only say that it's likely he had an imposing physique before his ascension, if his current form is any indication at all of how he was before . I'm assuming this based on his retaining some of what was obviously(?) torture, some of who he was physically may also have been retained.

There are a few other, well, inconsistencies that I had to pick and choose from, or add sparingly. For instance, in his appearance during the Count summoning, there were several frames that denoted rotting skin, or perhaps he had been partially flayed (similar to Griffith's torture). Not only that, but where it's placed changes from each frame that it appears in, when it is there. I only remember seeing it during that particular story arc (could be wrong) so I only added a small amount of this on his left cheek. I may carve a bit more in, but I'll probably just add some paint to signify contusion or trauma in the areas, to keep it simple. This way I can do multiple interpretations in paint, without having the sculpt confine me too much. Miura was influenced by Hellraiser, so I wanted to do a paint scheme similar to that franchise, as if Void were a Cenobite.

For the most part, I tried to stick to the references. If you have the volumes in hand and you see Void plates, there's a little there in each piece of him. Especially the brain wrinkles. The majority of them are taken straight from the pages.

It's going to be a lot of fun to paint.

griffith_eclipse_helmet_berserk_by_gfan360-d95atmd.jpg

Started on this today. Some good progress. I tried pepakura and expanding foam, to save time and materials, but I'm just not experienced enough with that media and just ended up wasting a bunch of time. Back to what I know... could've had it done by now :mozgus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lookin' good! Probably going to be much easier this time around, I'd guess. :void:

When can we expect to see a glimpse at the rest of Void's costume?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Lookin' good! Probably going to be much easier this time around, I'd guess. :void:

When can we expect to see a glimpse at the rest of Void's costume?

Yes indeed when? Considering that Void is one of my favorite bad guy I'm getting excited to see the results of the costume!

JMP said:
Cool! :guts: I bet the costume will look pretty neat once you put it all together with the bandages and everything.

Bandages are almost done. Just some patches to put in, but the wife is up in jersery visiting her grandparents so will have to wait on that. No more than a few more hours of work on the fabric part, aside from staining with blood and tea. There were plans to do some prosthetic wounds but time is short so that's probably out the window.

3 weeks til deadline so expect a lot of progress shots in the next few weeks.

[edit]
Just a bit of smoothing out, and add in a few nicks and faux pitting, and this guy is done. I've already removed it, but see if you can spot the inaccuracy in this.
DSCN1167_zpsixu7ghug.jpg

Kruge said:
Just a bit of smoothing out, and add in a few nicks and faux pitting, and this guy is done. I've already removed it, but see if you can spot the inaccuracy in this.
DSCN1167_zpsixu7ghug.jpg

Hmm, was the dividing arch on top of the helmet a little off center? Now the whole helmet looks perfectly symmetrical.

These three pieces all look impeccable. Truly a product of your perfectionism perseverance :ubik:

I was wondering about your Void head, how will you be able to see when you are wearing it? Will you peek through little holes of the stitches?

Nah, that's what I thought initially but the stitches are going to be way small. I will have to cut slits strategically somewhere, will find out when I test fit the mask. Mostly Griffith will, in an odd twist of fate, be guiding me along. This too is within the flows of causality. Or something.

:void:

Btw it wasn't the top of the helmet that was off center. The arc didn't go all the way up to the top. It tapers off to flat, and there's a rivet there. Going to add on the rivets after casting, to keep it nice and smooth for the fiberglass.

Speaking of symmetry... I didn't realize it but this thing had a case of japanese spiderman, bad. I did an etching of the eye opening I liked better and rubbed it onto a piece of cardstock so I could flip it and trace it onto the opposite side. A lot happier with it now but didn't take pics. Will a bit later... have a ton of pics but haven't uploaded any yet.

Had to buy more rubber. When I pulled the clay out of the fiberglass I had two 5 qt buckets full of the stuff, and that's how you figure the amount of rubber you need, approximately, for the mold. Well I only had 8 quarts, so had to wait on some more. :mozgus:

DSCN1176_zpsv7vmw0j5.jpg

DSCN1175_zpsrrhizand.jpg

Should get rubbery tonight, though :iva:

On a plus side, Griffith's helmet is currently curing and waiting to be demolded. :ubik: Have pics but haven't uploaded them from the camera yet, sorry :farnese:

Top Bottom