Better Call Saul

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gilligan spills on a details on his Better Call Saul spinoff: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/vince-gilligan-reveals-better-call-saul-details-20131016

they plan to craft Saul based on a similar template to their acclaimed meth-drama, and they're even hoping to land a couple cameo appearances from Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul.
Hoo boy... Back to the well so soon?
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
Gilligan spills on a details on his Better Call Saul spinoff: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/vince-gilligan-reveals-better-call-saul-details-20131016
Hoo boy... Back to the well so soon?
Why not, isn't the point to secretly keep making Breaking Bad? Well, it should be, so I like what I read here, by all means get the fucking band back together (the aforementioned Saul half hour sitcom was far less promising). I mean, I don't want to watch this for how much it's not like Breaking Bad. =) On that note, I have a suggestion for those cameos, like expanding them into recurring roles, making the show take place after Breaking Bad, and beginning it with Walt waking up handcuffed to a hospital bed... uh oh, he Better Call Saul! :carcus:
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
Says you... I'm still very wary of them returning to the well so quickly, and so deliberately.
We know..

Walter said:
Hoo boy... Back to the well so soon?
You're kind of returning to the well on going back to the well, but cheer up, the water is fine. Yes, this is inherently dangerous territory, it's a spinoff, but by that nature it should employ elements of Breaking Bad, and the more authentic elements they can bring back, the better. It's a sign of strength, not of weakness, and the show is going to be inherently different enough without them going out of their way to be different (trust me, we're not going to hate what's the same =). Plus, look what you're fretting over. OH NO THEY'RE BRINGING BACK MIKE! :magni: Horrible news. Next they'll incorporate Gus into the show for Salud-like episodes delving into his past (NOOOOO!). I mean, would you prefer they cast someone else as Saul's private investigator? Doing otherwise would be the egregious move, "Why didn't they just bring back Mike?" This move makes all the sense in the world to me, and the show suddenly has way more potential. Also, they can't get the band back together soon enough as far as I'm concerned. The further away they get from the end of the original production, the less likely they are to recapture the magic for this project to succeed. I can't help but think this thing is in part a manifestation of the fact that they were ultimately pushed off the stage when you come right down to it, however admirable they stuck the landing. I don't think they were done telling those stories, and I hope they aren't.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I haven't played the Mass Effect 3 DLC for just about the same reason as I'm not excited about the potential for more Breaking Bad. The story has been told. I probably do sound annoying, chirping every time there's news about the parallels between Saul and Bad, but I guess I'm just surprised there aren't as many warning lights going off for anyone else.

Griffith said:
The further away they get from the end of the original production, the less likely they are to recapture the magic for this project to succeed.
The fact that they are trying to recapture that magic is what worries me. Simply arranging all the key players back in the same room won't spell success. If anything, this only raises the stakes for the show, because there will be inevitable comparisons in quality to the original.

Griffith said:
I can't help but think this thing is in part a manifestation of the fact that they were ultimately pushed off the stage when you come right down to it, however admirable they stuck the landing. I don't think they were done telling those stories, and I hope they aren't.
Maybe that is the case, and there's genuinely more to tell. But it doesn't feel that way to me. The way I see it, Breaking Bad was lucky to have circumvented AMC's terrible treatment and be able to tell a complete story. But going back into the fray to ... do more of the same? With many members of the same cast...? It just does not bode well.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
You know, I haven't played the Mass Effect 3 DLC for just about the same reason as I'm not excited about the potential for more Breaking Bad. The story has been told. I probably do sound annoying, chirping every time there's news about the parallels between Saul and Bad, but I guess I'm just surprised there aren't as many warning lights going off for anyone else.
I think you just don't like the idea of the spinoff to begin with, rightfully so, and so you're seeing everything through that pessimism, because I don't see what the better alternatives are to address your concerns...

Walter said:
The fact that they are trying to recapture that magic is what worries me. Simply arranging all the key players back in the same room won't spell success. If anything, this only raises the stakes for the show, because there will be inevitable comparisons in quality to the original.
I generally agree on principle, but so far this team has rewarded my faith, or pleasantly surprised me when I was doubtful. I like the pragmatic way Gilligan and company approach their craft; they're not just going to try and bullshit us by getting everyone back in the room and wanking off and putting FROM THE PRODUCERS OF BREAKING BAD on it. I don't think they're putting the cart before the horse, and Bad fans should be genuinely excited by the potential that they're going to get to continue making high quality television in the same world.

Again, what's the alternative, don't use the same crew that as of a few months ago was producing some of the best TV ever? Don't try for the same level of quality? Plan to fail in such a way as to not tarnish the Bad's legacy? It's almost like you want them to be more hands off so if this fails it won't have their fingerprints all over it and it'll be easier to distance it from Bad. Like you'd almost prefer the usual low stakes, quasi canon, extended universe type project from a third party to mitigate the potential damage (another sign we're in an unhealthy relationship with our media =). But it's not like these guys have been out of the game for decades and are trying to relive their old glory. In many ways their glory days just happened. We're not talking Kingdom of the Crystal Skull here in concept or execution, which I think is the kind of mishap that color our perception of every potential sequel, spinoff and prequel (not even going there) to a classic.

Speaking of tarnishing legacies, the stakes aren't that high. It's not like Breaking Bad isn't going to make the TV hall of fame or something if Saul sucks. If it fails it just becomes a footnote like those embarrassing webisodes (hey, remember when Hank got a BJ from a transvestite!? Hopefully not).

Walter said:
Maybe that is the case, and there's genuinely more to tell. But it doesn't feel that way to me. The way I see it, Breaking Bad was lucky to have circumvented AMC's terrible treatment and be able to tell a complete story. But going back into the fray to ... do more of the same? With many members of the same cast...? It just does not bode well.
Not bringing back the same cast and crew wouldn't bode well, that's when these projects enter no man's land and just feel like ripoffs ("they couldn't get Johnathan Banks so they just BSed some other guy, ugh"). Also, the whole "the story is done" thing is pretty subjective too (sounds more like you're just cutting yourself off). I mean, Season 4 could have been the end of the story. Same with season 2. Season 5 didn't have to happen, it wasn't the pre-ordained ending, but they weren't done telling stories so they wrote some more good ones. I mean, it didn't have to be good, they made it good, against the odds, because they're good. That's all I'm hoping/excited for, more good writing from good writers. So far I like everything I've heard since the initial announcement; one hour format, not a half hour sitcom, still a healthy mix of drama and dark comedy, they're bringing back the same crew and actors like Banks. It seems like they're staying true to their strengths and approaching this the right way (when it was initially pitched as a Saul sitcom, that's when I was worried). I'm just going to have to get burned on this one, but the stakes aren't that high for me. Like anything else, if I don't like it, I just won't watch it.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I think you just don't like the idea of the spinoff to begin with,
Bingo. I'd rather the creative talent behind this go on to other projects, new territories, and not continue squeezing Breaking Bad fans.

Again, what's the alternative? ... We're not talking Kingdom of the Crystal Skull here in concept or execution, which I think is the kind of mishap that color our perception of every potential sequel, spinoff and prequel (not even going there) to a classic.
Successful spinoffs are few and far between. And I'd rather them not play Russian Roulette with a series I truly like.

Speaking of tarnishing legacies, the stakes aren't that high. It's not like Breaking Bad isn't going to make the TV hall of fame or something if Saul sucks.
What I meant by stakes is that it's setting itself up for failure by continually bringing back elements from the previous show, instead of distancing itself from it and doing its own thing.

Also, the whole "the story is done" thing is pretty subjective too (sounds more like you're just cutting yourself off). I mean, Season 4 could have been the end of the story. Same with season 2. Season 5 didn't have to happen, it wasn't the pre-ordained ending, but they weren't done telling stories so they wrote some more good ones.
They chose Season 5.5 to end the series. They put a bookend on it. The story, which started with Walter White, is effectively over. Them pretending there's still more to it, and potentially retconning its relevance, isn't something that appeals to me.

It seems like they're staying true to their strengths and approaching this the right way (when it was initially pitched as a Saul sitcom, that's when I was worried).
A sitcom would indeed be gross. But a new direction isn't a bad thing--it's what I hope they do. Anything to distance itself from the original in tone. My fear is that they're trying to make Breaking Bad 2.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
Bingo. I'd rather the creative talent behind this go on to other projects, new territories, and not continue squeezing Breaking Bad fans.
Yeah, but that's a very unflattering and unfair interpretation of events. They were talking about doing the Saul show long before Breaking Bad was wrapping up because they were interested in what they could do with the character. So, conversely, you're really looking forward to Battle Creek on CBS? :carcus:

Walter said:
Successful spinoffs are few and far between. And I'd rather them not play Russian Roulette with a series I truly like.
Breaking Bad isn't going to be shot in the head though if Better Call Saul isn't successful. In reality, there's nothing to lose and nothing obviously objectionable happening so far, as far projects like this go. That's why I'm surprised you're negative on them bringing back the original crew, since one reason spinoffs fail a lot of the time is because they're handed off to less qualified people (that's why it's all been literally exceptional news to me so far). Anyway, the show is going to sink or swim on the strength of its writing and acting, just like Breaking Bad. I still like those odds with this group better than most, the trappings of success and the expectations that come with included.

Walter said:
What I meant by stakes is that it's setting itself up for failure by continually bringing back elements from the previous show, instead of distancing itself from it and doing its own thing.
It's intrinsically going to be its own thing, but the idea it should distance itself as much as possible from Breaking Bad, to the point that bringing back actors and characters central to Saul Goodman should be considered a bad thing, doesn't make much sense to me. I get that you don't want a pale imitation, but again, saying you want them to do anything else just to avoid that is a rather pessimistic stance.

Walter said:
They chose Season 5.5 to end the series. They put a bookend on it. The story, which started with Walter White, is effectively over. Them pretending there's still more to it, and potentially retconning its relevance, isn't something that appeals to me.
I agree that that unappealing scenario doesn't sound appealing, but nothing indicates that's their aim. Though, I would find more stories in the vein of Breaking Bad featuring some of its characters appealing, which they appear setup for if that's what they want to do. Or it could be a straight hour long comedy with a minimum of serious intent, like Saul's initial episode. I mean, that's basically the pilot.

Walter said:
A sitcom would indeed be gross. But a new direction isn't a bad thing--it's what I hope they do. Anything to distance itself from the original in tone. My fear is that they're trying to make Breaking Bad 2.
Anything to distance itself? Geez. Again, I think it's that you just don't want them to do this at all than what we're hearing about it. I don't want them to try to make Breaking Bad 2 either...

... I just want them to do it by happenstance! :guts: I'll settle for an entertaining show about Saul though, and even if it ultimately fails, they've earned an encore in my book (and a mulligan if necessary =). They already got the important part right, this is gravy.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny how this topic has snowballed, because when we started, I hadn't actually given a lot of thought to why I feel the way I do. I think the key for me is though, like you've already stated: It's volatile territory, and I've already moved on. I realized that hypocritically, if after Berserk, Miura returned to do a side-story on some Berserk character, I'd probably be ecstatic. What's different? It's Breaking Bad, and I guess I'm just done with it.

But ... now that you've opened Pandora's Box, I'm coming up with all sorts of outlandish ways in my head that this spin-off could go south quick (Mike walks on set, applause from audience, ala Kramer: "I love that crazy, old guy!"). So now, I'm actually more negative about the idea than when we started talking about it. Look what you've done. :void:

Griffith said:
So, conversely, you're really looking forward to Battle Creek on CBS? :carcus:
:ganishka: In some weird way, yeah I am a little happier that he is moving on to different projects, and not clinging tightly to his big success. That's healthy for a creator, even if Battle Creek's premise sounds a little dry. What's unhealthy is to keep going down the same road after you already said it was over.

Breaking Bad isn't going to be shot in the head though if Better Call Saul isn't successful. In reality, there's nothing to lose and nothing obviously objectionable happening so far, as far projects like this go.
If it truly falls on its face, I do think it could affect how we remember Breaking Bad, years down the road. My ambivalence over the show's ending has already somewhat affected my feeling of its legacy. But honestly, Gilligan employs talented people. It probably won't completely suck. Again, I'm mostly objecting on principle here: See next line ↓

Anyway, the show is going to sink or swim on the strength of its writing and acting, just like Breaking Bad. I still like those odds with this group better than most, the trappings of success and the expectations that come with included.
Even if those elements are rock solid, the premise will carry the lingering scent of "cash-in."

It's intrinsically going to be its own thing, but the idea it should distance itself as much as possible from Breaking Bad, to the point that bringing back actors and characters central to Saul Goodman should be considered a bad thing, doesn't make much sense to me.
I like Mike a lot. I think his character is among the greatest things in Breaking Bad's hefty bag of tricks. But bringing him back feels lazy. That character already had a good story arc. I'd rather not poke around in grandpa's attic, lest what I find gross me out. Does it make sense? Sure it does. But he isn't a prerequisite to a show about Saul.

I agree that that unappealing scenario doesn't sound appealing, but nothing indicates that's their aim.
I'm not convinced of [not retconning] yet. Spin-offs inherently have this potential, particularly when they're involving key cast members from the original. At some point in the writing room, with all these similar folks, I can easily envision a scenario where they'd have to retcon something so as to not step on Breaking Bad's toes.

Or it could be a straight hour long comedy with a minimum of serious intent, like Saul's initial episode. I mean, that's basically the pilot.
That sounds imminently watchable to me. But I'm not sure how much meat will be on that bone after a season or two.

Anything to distance itself? Geez. Again, I think it's that you just don't want them to do this at all than what we're hearing about it.
Pretty sure that's what I said in my last post.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
It's funny how this topic has snowballed, because when we started, I hadn't actually given a lot of thought to why I feel the way I do. I think the key for me is though, like you've already stated: It's volatile territory, and I've already moved on.
Neither had I, besides popping into this thread every once in a while. This has forced me to learn and think more about it, and I'm certainly more positive than I was at the outset.

Walter said:
I realized that hypocritically, if after Berserk, Miura returned to do a side-story on some Berserk character, I'd probably be ecstatic.
Well, after reading this post I'm not so sure. =)

Walter said:
But ... now that you've opened Pandora's Box, I'm coming up with all sorts of outlandish ways in my head that this spin-off could go south quick (Mike walks on set, applause from audience, ala Kramer: "I love that crazy, old guy!"). So now, I'm actually more negative about the idea than when we started talking about it. Look what you've done. :void:
That's pretty negative on the subject to begin with though; you're imagining comically exaggerated bad scenarios when you admittedly know the people behind this are better than that and have already indicated it's going to be a single camera setup, like BB.

Walter said:
:ganishka: In some weird way, yeah I am a little happier that he is moving on to different projects, and not clinging tightly to his big success. That's healthy for a creator, even if Battle Creek's premise sounds a little dry. What's unhealthy is to keep going down the same road after you already said it was over.
What about when one's hand is forced? Maybe this is what happens when you have to compromise ending your show on your own terms right when its a huge success. It's not like they're really even "going back," they barely left beyond a season break.

Walter said:
If it truly falls on its face, I do think it could affect how we remember Breaking Bad, years down the road. My ambivalence over the show's ending has already somewhat affected my feeling of its legacy.
We just can't like anything without an asterisk anymore (you already mentioned Mass Effect =). I fear for Berserk's ending, because I could see it being very much like Bad's (not parallel in what happens, but in the way Miura constructs it). Anyway, it's not like they're going to ruin the show's perfect ending for you, so all the more reason not to hate Better Call Saul just for existing.

Walter said:
But honestly, Gilligan employs talented people. It probably won't completely suck. Again, I'm mostly objecting on principle here: See next line ↓

Even if those elements are rock solid, the premise will carry the lingering scent of "cash-in."
It is a cash in from AMC's perspective, but Gilligan and company were talking about doing it when the idea of "cashing in" on Breaking Bad was laughable. So, you could argue it's only coming to fruition because of the cash in factor, but that wasn't its genesis as a creative endeavor and shouldn't reflect on that aspect of the show.

Walter said:
I like Mike a lot. I think his character is among the greatest things in Breaking Bad's hefty bag of tricks. But bringing him back feels lazy. That character already had a good story arc. I'd rather not poke around in grandpa's attic, lest what I find gross me out. Does it make sense? Sure it does. But he isn't a prerequisite to a show about Saul.
So, it's not a prerequisite, but it only makes sense because Mike worked for him, but it's lazy because Mike is a great character, which is why they should leave him out of the show for it to be good? Let's just disagree to agree on this one.

Walter said:
I'm not convinced of [not retconning] yet. Spin-offs inherently have this potential, particularly when they're involving key cast members from the original. At some point in the writing room, with all these similar folks, I can easily envision a scenario where they'd have to retcon something so as to not step on Breaking Bad's toes.
I actually think some kind of retcon or tweak is necessary for Saul's character to be a protagonist (Gilligan has said as much in interviews, he'll need some kind of conflict). Now that could go seriously wrong even with the best intentions.

Walter said:
That sounds imminently watchable to me. But I'm not sure how much meat will be on that bone after a season or two.
Damn, if you're already thinking beyond season 2 you might actually be more positive on the show than I am. My guess is it doesn't get past season 1 and everyone shrugs and says, "Whoops." I'm just hoping it isn't DOA because people can't get past the Breaking Bad comparisons it's bound to be on the short end of (episode 1 finishes, "THIS ISN'T AS GOOD AS BREAKING BAD!"). If they can get to season 2 and establish the show's cast and continuity so we're invested in it then it will have real potential. Season's 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad were basically just them riffing on that without a plan, so if they can get to that point with Saul it could be great. It's also why I'm looking forward to seeing these guys in action again: the introduction of Mike, seasons 3 and 4 = them bullshitting. So, bullshit away, Bad team!

Walter said:
Pretty sure that's what I said in my last post.
Well, you're also claiming that you're being hypocritical and somewhat unreasonable, taking the extreme negative view of everything. I'm not used to this from you, that's usually more my style. =)
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
That's pretty negative on the subject to begin with though; you're imagining comically exaggerated bad scenarios when you admittedly know the people behind this are better than that and have already indicated it's going to be a single camera setup, like BB.
It was just a joke... The dark side of the possibilities of a BB spin-off.

We just can't like anything without an asterisk anymore (you already mentioned Mass Effect =).
I think it's always been this way.

I fear for Berserk's ending, because I could see it being very much like Bad's (not parallel in what happens, but in the way Miura constructs it).
I don't have this fear.

So, it's not a prerequisite, but it only makes sense because Mike worked for him, but it's lazy because Mike is a great character, which is why they should leave him out of the show for it to be good? Let's just disagree to agree on this one.
I thought my grandpa joke made it pretty clear. He's a great character who already had a good run. Let's let him be.

I actually think some kind of retcon or tweak is necessary for Saul's character to be a protagonist (Gilligan has said as much in interviews, he'll need some kind of conflict). Now that could go seriously wrong even with the best intentions.
That's a good point, but I think toward the end of the series you got a decent sense of the man behind the commercial.

Damn, if you're already thinking beyond season 2 you might actually be more positive on the show than I am.
I was being generous, trying to compensate for you saying I was being unreasonably negative in my other comments.

I'm just hoping it isn't DOA because people can't get past the Breaking Bad comparisons it's bound to be on the short end of (episode 1 finishes, "THIS ISN'T AS GOOD AS BREAKING BAD!").
Those comparisons are inevitable. Having such a heritage comes with perks and pitfalls.

If they can get to season 2 and establish the show's cast and continuity so we're invested in it then it will have real potential. Season's 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad were basically just them riffing on that without a plan, so if they can get to that point with Saul it could be great.
Even if they get that far, they're trapped in a character development sandwich of their own design, being a precursor to BB.

Well, you're also claiming that you're being hypocritical and somewhat unreasonable, taking the extreme negative view of everything. I'm not used to this from you, that's usually more my style. =)
Aside from my joke about the sitcom thing, I'm just being honest. As for hypocritical, I used that term in a limited way to explain that I was confused why a spin-off for one series felt bad, while in another felt good to me.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
It was just a joke... The dark side of the possibilities of a BB spin-off.
I know you were joking in the details, but the sentiment is it could really be so hokey, even assuming it's not going to have Mike slipping on banana peels and crapping his pants. "Uh oh, this is no half measure." *applause*

Walter said:
I don't have this fear.
I don't fear it being constructed similarly, but the inevitable disappointed reaction.

Walter said:
I thought my grandpa joke made it pretty clear. He's a great character who already had a good run. Let's let him be.
There's no good reason Mike can't continue to be a great character though. Sure, you wouldn't want him involved if it's going to be bad, but he improves the odds that won't be the case dramatically.

Walter said:
Even if they get that far, they're trapped in a character development sandwich of their own design, being a precursor to BB.
Don't be so sure it's a problem based on this interview with Gilligan, though you may not like his stance considering some of the specific reservations you've expressed...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/31/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-better-call-saul-community/2/ said:
Could some of the action be set in the Breaking Bad era as well?
It could. That’s why I love the possibilities of the show so much. Anything is possible, and I can’t make any promises that we will indeed see that kind of stuff, but I can tell you from a writer’s point of view, it’s very freeing and emboldening to have those opportunities available to you.
That's an interesting perspective, that it's somehow liberating. I agree with you that this kind of storytelling can really back you into a corner, so it'll be essential they establish a strong stable of non-Bad characters whose fate we don't already know.

Walter said:
Aside from my joke about the sitcom thing, I'm just being honest.
Well, aside from your bad feeling, I just don't see what's objectively wrong with what we've been hearing about it. Jonathan Banks joining the cast is a only bad news by the logic of someone whose mind is already made up (in a vacuum, Banks joining the cast of any show you watch is a good thing =). Anyway, here's more from Gilligan that pretty much directly addresses the crux of our argument:

How much of this is a subconscious desire to extend the amazing experience that you all had on Breaking Bad?
Oh, I think you’re right, and I don’t think that desire is subconscious. I reluctantly came to the realization several years ago that we needed to end Breaking Bad before the audience lost interest. We needed to end it at the height of its interest in the audience, and I feel we accomplished that. I feel very lucky for having it work out that way. And it’s not even subconscious on my part — I want to keep the party going on some level. I’ve always loved the character Saul Goodman, I’ve always felt like there’s a whole world of story possibilities contained within him and the world that he inhabits, and I would just love to see some version of this world continue. By its very design, Better Call Saul has to be a different kind of show, and we’re not looking to simply keep Breaking Bad going by having a spin-off series. It has to stand on its own two legs as its own series, otherwise there’s no point in doing it. It will be Saul Goodman’s world, it won’t be Walter White’s, and it will have a different feel, even though there will be some overlap on the Venn Diagram that exists between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. But it will have to succeed on its own terms as its own show. If it doesn’t, it won’t be satisfying, and satisfaction is the key word. We want to satisfy.
Definitely sounds like they're wrestling with it and it could go either way.

Walter said:
As for hypocritical, I used that term in a limited way to explain that I was confused why a spin-off for one series felt bad, while in another felt good to me.
I don't know about that actually. Berserk has the advantage of not being finished and all this being theoretical as far as its concerned (and I think we'd all like more Berserk right now =), whereas Breaking Bad is over and the Saul show is really happening. Considering your strong reaction to this and the danger of retreading sacred ground, you might feel differently if Berserk were a closed book being reopened.
 

First Look of Better Call Saul with some new details about it such as AMC already ordering a second season and slated to premiere in early 2015.
http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2014/06/amc-updates-on-better-call-saul/
 
Better call Saul: The song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

The show's apparently premiering in February.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
I wish they'd just do a proper trailer instead of these clips. I'd probably enjoy these little moments more in the context of the show and just throwing a random 30 second scene out there works much better when you've got a couple seasons of background behind it... and Walter White saying something cool. =)
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
It's far too brief to reach any meaningful conclusion about the atmosphere of the show, but it does pretty much feel like another episode of Breaking Bad. Which for me is a good and bad thing.

I'd really rather not have
Mike and Saul's first meeting
be revealed through a 30 second clip. But oh well. I did choose to click on it.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
I'm most worried about it caught in the uncanny valley between funny and serious, Breaking Bad had a very dark humor, and pulling back a bit on the darkness while trying to up the yuks could really leave it in no man's land like a lot of these clips where Saul is saying something that I think it supposed to be funny, but comes off flat like a straight statement. I'm think particularly of the clip where he's comparing having a lawyer to health care.

m said:
Better call Saul: The song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

The show's apparently premiering in February.
This, on the other hand, was delightfully pitch perfect.
 
Griffith said:
Oooooh, lookin' more bad than ever, and that's a good thing. :badbone:
I like the tone of this trailer. We're in the same universe, the same color palette but it's definitely more tongue and cheek, probably light hearted. Really glad to see this bigger than life character having his own adventure.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
ryOtoha said:
I like the tone of this trailer. We're in the same universe, the same color palette but it's definitely more tongue and cheek, probably light hearted. Really glad to see this bigger than life character having his own adventure.
Yeah, Saul felt more 3-dimensional in this trailer than at any point in Bad, and you can see the pieces falling into place and an arc taking shape. Nothing special yet, but it can defintely work. I haven't decided if I'd like for his brother to have cancer or not.
 
Top Bottom