Black Swordsman - on a bit of a budget

CCS said:
Sculpting the damn mouth on the Beherit is always the hardest part.

agreed, doing it and maintaining the overall shape of the egg proved to be a bastard, therefore I got as close as possible and settled on it.

A decently sized update for you guys today with some more WIP shots. Most things are going to have some 'making good' being done once everything is finished. The end is near also. The only major part I have left are the shoulder pieces, which have proven to be a bitch on my first attempt but I have an idea on how to take it now

Anyway, here we go

Boot piece, as it stands
photo28.jpg

Showing the flex
photo27.jpg

Everything together (the pieces look better on than off once they've been tightened to fit)
photo26.jpg

The pouches, all now sewn up, awaiting buckle pieces
photo25.jpg

Dagger, which I've been toying around with for colouring
photo24.jpg

With all this in place I expect to have the bulk load finished by the end of next week, which gives me a couple of weeks of fine tuning and doing little details

EDIT:

Just painted up the boot piece
photo23.jpg

and how it sits when wearing
photo31.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent work on the boots. Seeing you wear the whole thing will be quite the sight. :guts:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
This is really coming together. Those boots are wicked! I love the way they fold. The whole outfit will look legit. Do you look like Guts? :guts:

Great job on the texturing/colors, too. Very nice stained metal look.

Aphasia said:
This is really coming together. Those boots are wicked! I love the way they fold. The whole outfit will look legit. Do you look like Guts? :guts:

Great job on the texturing/colors, too. Very nice stained metal look.

Amusingly I've had two people say I look like Guts. Neither of which are familiar with the Berserk series, I just showed them the base for what I was building.

I can't believe that boot armour is just card! :isidro:

Is it just spray paint you're using on it? If so how are getting that mottled aged effect? Spraying lightly so that you get little blobs of black? :???:

Manjou said:
I can't believe that boot armour is just card! :isidro:

Is it just spray paint you're using on it? If so how are getting that mottled aged effect? Spraying lightly so that you get little blobs of black? :???:

Pretty much, I use a metallic silver base with a light and spread metallic black over the top and tweak it until I think it looks right.

I like it! I was going to suggest something. A lot of people go through the trouble of making the armor, and end up playing around, taking pictures of themselves. What a lot of them don't do is recreated some Berserk background. You see them just standing around in their apartments and stuff. I would insanely impressed if you recreated a key scene with some recognizable Berserk background elements and take some stills with them. Like maybe a still of battling the haunted tree or simply standing in around on the hill of swords. . It can be simple, just I thought it would help create the ultimate image and theme.

I'll see what I can do. I'll go through my volumes and look to see what could match up with a local area.

I present to you, the (pretty much) finished outfit. There is some minor detailing left for the cloak and making sure everything moves with my body in as comfortable a manner as possible but this is pretty much the final form. I will be updating pictures of me next weekend after the expo

photo38.jpg

photo39.jpg

photo42.jpg

photo41.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good, but I'm eager to see what it's like when worn. How much will it have cost you in total?

I'm estimating about £60 in total including consumables (paint, glue, duct tape, split pins etc). Keeping in mind that most of the materials you see here are bits of scrap I obtained via work with the exception of the cloak and the brown vinyl.

I'll make sure to share pictures of it being worn after Saturday's expo for you Aaz

EDIT: I can give you a real amateur mirror shot of what some of it looks like when worn, keeping in mind the straps aren't done up and I'm holding the chest plate on with my armpits essentially, also there is no cloak and no shoulder pieces.

photo43.jpg

Aphasia

This looks completely awesome! The textures are fantastic, and the body looks like it sits really well on you. You have impressed me good sir.

I can't wait to see what it looks like when you're all geared up. Although I'd agree with Death may Die, location when taking shots makes a huge difference.
Even just in some local woods gives you an edge over other people who just snap cheap shots in the parking lot.

Have fun at the expo!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I'm estimating about £60 in total including consumables (paint, glue, duct tape, split pins etc). Keeping in mind that most of the materials you see here are bits of scrap I obtained via work with the exception of the cloak and the brown vinyl.

Very cool, thanks. I asked so people could relate to the "budget" part of the experience. Shows that with enough determination one can do wonders.

JezzaX said:
I'll make sure to share pictures of it being worn after Saturday's expo for you Aaz

Thanks. It's looking very nice already, though I notice that the throwing dagger holsters look a little too big when you wear the breastplate as opposed to when it's not worn.

Aazealh said:
I notice that the throwing dagger holsters look a little too big when you wear the breastplate as opposed to when it's not worn.

I thought it looked quite close when you compare it with my reference material

photo44.jpg

The thing that I think is the furthest out is the shoulder pieces, they're a bit too small for my liking, although they were a bitch to make so I don't fancy going back and starting again

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I thought it looked quite close when you compare it with my reference material

It's nothing too flagrant, but I think they're a bit bigger than in the manga (even on that figure). Maybe it also struck me because I'm used to seeing them hang on Guts' extra-wide torso, I don't know. It still looks great anyway.

No you're right they do appear to be smaller in the manga, but I didn't really want to stray too much from my reference.

We did some costume tests last night to see how well it will hold up on Saturday. the following picture is incomplete (no boots, only one leg piece that needs to be heightened and supported by being pinned as they currently slide etc) but you get the idea

Don't I look like a happy chappy? :guts: I was also right when I said I didn't like the size of the shoulder pieces, they're far too small for my liking :farnese:
photo45.jpg

my fiancée also did a quick brand on my neck to make sure she could do it

photo46.jpg

Aphasia

Cool, I'm digging it. :guts: The shoulder pieces look like their about half the size they should be, but they're not bad. It might look better if you draped the cape over them a little more. The detail on the legs is pretty righteous! It looks really good.

Top Bottom