Breaking Bad

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
But it's unlikely Walt would have spilled everything in a surreptitiously recorded confession to Jesse right there on the park bench. Maybe they'd get him on poisoning Brock... but somehow I doubt he'd specifically mention things that would get him convicted of a drug empire. Anyway, it's heresay now.

It's not all or nothing though, all they needed was for Walt to incriminate himself at all, and it would have been hard for him to speak frankly with Jesse without revealing his unique knowledge of and participation in what was going on (and, as always with Jesse, Walt totally had his guard down). More importantly for Hank is that he just needs something to contradict the story in that video Walt made. And don't dismiss heresay, it's what threads like this are for. =)

NightCrawler said:
I hate Jessie. I've hated his character since i started watching BB months ago. He's basically an excuse to keep tension high on the show. The writers must love him, because he's a cheap and easy way to stir the waters. The annoying fuckup. For me, he's just boring and predictable.
Hank, on the other hand (and a bit surpringly), has probably the most well-rounded and interesting character arc of the show. Shoud've been more prominent, right after Walts.

Don't bury the lead, it sounds like you've caught up, so what do you think? Anyway, I can't help but agree that Jesse and his seasonal tantrums just became annoyingly predictable at a certain point. I liked him and all his zaniness the first few seasons, but I feel like his character almost regressed into something simpler, static or with a single switch they keep pushing back and forth as needed. What I do still like about Jesse is his meaning to Walt's character and what that's ultimately going to mean.
Speaking of Hank, totally agree and I'm with him when it comes to Jesse too, but I am looking forward to watching Jesse make Hank pull what's left of his hair out with his "ideas" (though he is the perfect guy to take don't Walt, it's just not for the reason he thinks). :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
It's not all or nothing though, all they needed was for Walt to incriminate himself at all
I disagree. That would have been enough to open the case, but as mentioned in this episode, making the full case against him would be difficult without some kind of amazing evidence. What Hank wants is: "Remember Jesse when I brought you in and we cooked crystal meth together for a year and I became known as Heisenberg, and then I poisoned a kid and bombed that old folks home to kill the chicken man...?" While what he was more likely to have gotten was: "Look.... Jesse.... Mistakes were made ... and .... after all our time together, I hope you know that... you're really very important to me, despite appearances. I want you to be happy... and I knew that... under Gus .... you would have ... not been happy. ... What happened.... to Brock was ... necessary. I hope you will understand."

I can't help but agree that Jesse and his seasonal tantrums just became annoyingly predictable at a certain point
He hasn't been interesting to me since he and Mike were a buddy cop duo. And even then, it was merely a novelty.

Griffith

Walter said:
I disagree. That would have been enough to open the case, but as mentioned in this episode, making the full case against him would be difficult without some kind of amazing evidence. "Remember Jesse when I brought you in and we cooked crystal meth together for a year and I became known as Heisenberg, and then I poisoned a kid and bombed that old folks home to kill the chicken man...?" VS "Look.... Jesse.... Mistakes were made ... and .... after all our time together, I hope you know that... you're really very important to me, despite appearances. I want you to be happy... and I knew that... under Gus .... you would have ... not been happy. ... What happened.... to Brock was ... necessary. I hope you will understand."

Granted, Walt has a way with words, but it's not one of those extremes or the other, and I don't think Walt was going in expecting to get away with one of their typical bullshit conversations. He promised to explain it all, and even though he was certainly going to lie, for the sake of appearing genuine he'd likely speak openly enough to at least appear unfiltered (unless he had one of those radio detectors Saul recommended in his pocket =). Also, it's not all or nothing for the case, they don't have to nail him for everything in one fell swoop, just get the ball rolling (I'm sure Hank wants to get him for everything, but he might settle for a chance at exposing him and making him rot in jail for the rest of his short life). The curious thing to me was that it wasn't like it was bad luck for Walt that Jesse misunderstood his intentions here, like they were on the verge of reconciling and it would have all worked out but they just missed it by happenstance (they didn't even make it seem like Jesse might be having second thoughts); it actually helped him... for now.

Walter said:
He hasn't been interesting to me since he and Mike were a buddy cop duo. And even then, it was merely a novelty.

That was fun, I liked Jesse when he was capable, I just hate that he doesn't stay that way and handles everything like shit at first.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
it actually helped him... for now.
And on that note, I can't believe how unbelievably stupid Walt was for employing Todd's uncle again. Surely he can see how those guys aren't exactly the kind of criminals he can just keep under his thumb... But of course, now he's desperate.

That was fun, I liked Jesse when he was capable, I just hate that he doesn't stay that way and handles everything like shit at first.
Basically, we enjoyed Jesse when he surprised us. But it's been a while, folks...

Griffith

Walter said:
And on that note, I can't believe how unbelievably stupid Walt was for employing Todd's uncle again. Surely he can see how those guys aren't exactly the kind of criminals he can just keep under his thumb... But of course, now he's desperate.

Yeah, did he even listen to that message from Todd and understand how invested they are in all this now? Just reminding them of his existence is dangerous. They could want anything from getting Walt back involved to tying up every loose end along with Jesse. Of course, there's also the delightful idea Walt will be the one who feels territorial pangs. Maybe he's back in the future with a gun and the ricin because Todd's uncle is claiming to be Heisenberg and Walt won't stand for that shit, "Uhh, I'm doing this for MY FAMILY!" :ganishka:

Walter said:
Basically, we enjoyed Jesse when he surprised us.

Perfect.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Of course, there's also the delightful idea Walt will be the one who feels territorial pangs.
Yes, YES!!

It would be nice to see Walt snarl again over such hubris, in light of the circumstances. It's also what I've been thinking:

Walter said:
Yep, which is actually where I think it's headed with the M60 in Walt's trunk. If Todd's gang starts recirculating blue meth locally, "Heisenberg" could live on beyond Walt. I doubt he'd be too happy with that. Maybe that gun is his way of ending his legacy.

Walter said:

What else was Walt going to do? Neither he nor Saul's goons can find Jesse, and Walt is definitely not the kind of person to spend the rest of his life knowing that someone intends to hunt down and kill him or his family. Granted, he should just grab as much cash as humanly possible and disappear, but that would mean admitting defeat and forcing Junior to vanish with him.

On top of that, the neo-nazi gang members managed to eliminate 10 threats against him in the course of 2 minutes. So his options are either retreat and admit defeat or take a chance with some terrifyingly efficient and ruthless killers. This will no doubt make things worse, but it's more pride than stupidity that drove him to do this.

Griffith

Groovy Metal Fist said:
What else was Walt going to do? Neither he nor Saul's goons can find Jesse, and Walt is definitely not the kind of person to spend the rest of his life knowing that someone intends to hunt down and kill him or his family. Granted, he should just grab as much cash as humanly possible and disappear, but that would mean admitting defeat and forcing Junior to vanish with him.

On top of that, the neo-nazi gang members managed to eliminate 10 threats against him in the course of 2 minutes. So his options are either retreat and admit defeat or take a chance with some terrifyingly efficient and ruthless killers. This will no doubt make things worse, but it's more pride than stupidity that drove him to do this.

If I remember correctly, Saul knows other "professionals" through Mike (one reason they couldn't use them to hit Mike's guys), and it would have been a lot better to contact one of them in this situation, once they located Jesse (leaving it to them to find him and having the particulars of the hit at their discretion is doubly reckless). Anyway, the neo-Nazis were only preferable before because of their prison connections, so they were the right guys for the job, whereas here they're potentially more trouble than they're worth. I think Walter is just desperate, not thinking clearly, and lazily defaulting to something familiar that worked before (Todd and his clan, or klan).

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Most likely, those connections died with Mike.

Maybe, particularly if he needed Mike to put him in touch with them, but, again, off the top of my head I think Saul already had the contact info but they couldn't very well use them against one of Mike's associates (now I remember, it was Gus =). Anyway, it's not like it's common knowledge that Walter killed Mike and therefore he and Saul are tainted by association.

Griffith

SrCraneo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8b4Eal5e8

Those are excellent, zany and pretentious all at once. All a must watch for fans (spoilers, obviously):

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC12J1m-HWr6jSrIB49PTCKw

Groovy Metal Fist said:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/univisions-spanishlanguage-version-of-breaking-bad,97684/

The three most nasty words one could string together are 'Breaking Bad remake'. And apparently they're doing that. Can the entertainment industry just not cannibalize itself for once?

A Spanish language adaptation? That doesn't count, at least not for the kind of ire you're looking for.

diego.jpg

Actually, I kind of want to watch this. =) I wish it was starting the week after American Breaking Bad finishes, it never has to end! "Hemos terminado cuando digo que hemos terminado." :daiba:

So, how many years before AMC is airing this version of the show and claiming it as some legacy for lack of new original programming (yeah, I'm still bitter they disrespected the show)?

Griffith said:
A Spanish language adaptation? That doesn't count, at least not for the kind of ire you're looking for.

diego.jpg

Actually, I kind of want to watch this. =) I wish it was starting the week after American Breaking Bad finishes, it never has to end! "Hemos terminado cuando digo que hemos terminado." :daiba:

So, how many years before AMC is airing this version of the show and claiming it as some legacy for lack of new original programming (yeah, I'm still bitter they disrespected the show)?

What's the point (aside from money)? They nailed it the first time. After I watch an awesome foreign film or TV show, my reaction is not "I hope some Americans rehash this same exact plot but with anglicized names".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
diego.jpg

In Spanish Breaking Bad, Gus is played by Robert Patrick: "Voy a matar a su hija recién nacida."

Groovy Metal Fist said:
What's the point (aside from money)?
I imagine general hilarity.

Univision has confirmed that the show will be a “customized” adaptation.

I would also like to see it just for the sake of it. But apparently the storyline and also the ending could be different form Vince's.

4ihF7.jpg

Since Univision makes shitty television I think it's going to be crappy, although I really hope it's decent. At least I'm sure they will get other languages right if they have them (English maybe). I cringed every time I heard someone speaking Spanish in Breaking Bad, their accents are fucking horrible and they took me out of the moment.

SrCraneo said:
I cringed every time I heard someone speaking Spanish in Breaking Bad, their accents are fucking horrible and they took me out of the moment.

Even Don Eladio, Tortuga, and Gus Fring's assassinated partner?

Groovy Metal Fist said:
Even Don Eladio, Tortuga, and Gus Fring's assassinated partner?

Actually now that you mention it, Max and Don Eladio were probably the only ones who sound like native speakers. I was actually relieved when they introduced Max. He even has a strong South American accent (some people say he still doesn't sound Chilean but I'm not that picky). Tortuga was pretty bad, on the other hand. And Hector Salamanca is definitely the worst of all, even more than Gus IMO.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
SrCraneo said:
I cringed every time I heard someone speaking Spanish in Breaking Bad, their accents are fucking horrible and they took me out of the moment.

It's really never bothered my cousin, a native-Spanish speaker, or myself, grew up around native-Spanish speakers.

TheBranded1 said:
I'm a Spanish native speaker and their accents didn't really bother me .

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
It's really never bothered my cousin, a native-Spanish speaker, or myself, grown up around native-Spanish speakers all.

Lol really? You guys do realize Gus is supposed to be Chilean right? You may think I'm being picky, but I think it's fair for a show that is so careful about details.

Griffith

I had heard that a lot of the Spanish on the show, particularly Gus', is pretty bad, but that was from a Spanish lit major so I took it with a grain of salt. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me any. =)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
SrCraneo said:
You may think I'm being [pretentious]...
:troll:

Joshing aside, I guess it hasn't bothered me too much.

Edit: re-checked with my cousin, over text, and he said: "Most are fine but the ones who had actual roles had terrible accents. Example: Don Eladio and Hector. Gus was terrible. He is Italian and American, from Italy, so he got away with it but his accent was terrible." So joke is on me!

Top Bottom