Breaking Bad

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Joe Chip said:
I finally caught up to you guys. Man, amazing tv series. I am glad i decided to give it another try.

Possible mega spoiler below

A friend of mine showed me this site, http://madrigalelectromotive.com . He is saying that Elliot and Gretchen Schwarz are Lydia's bosses. He is basing this assumption on this find

"We've depended on Madrigal Electromotive for years. I can honestly say that without their expert advise, timely delivery, and superb support our company could never have achieved it's premier position in the industry."

Elliott Schwartz
CEO, Gray Matter International

Source : http://madrigalelectromotive.com/Air%20Filter.htm
What do you guys think about it ?
EDIT: I looked at this site a bit more and i think that it must be a ruse made from a fan.
If Gretchen and Elliott were the final villains of Breaking Bad I would literally laugh my ass off. I mean literally, I would chuckle so hard that my ass cheeks would rocket off my hips and make two holes in the wall that I would keep there to remind me of the most hilarious series in TV history.

Deci

I read about Vince saying somewhere that no loose ends will be left. Then I read a speculation that Walt might use the ricin on himself, after all is said and done. If not that, I don't know what they'll do about the ricin.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Deci said:
I read about Vince saying somewhere that no loose ends will be left. Then I read a speculation that Walt might use the ricin on himself, after all is said and done. If not that, I don't know what they'll do about the ricin.

Why would he use it on himself, he's already slowly dying (which is what ricin does, it wouldn't pleasant to die that way). My bet goes to Lydia, with it being used on one of her tea orders. But still, it wouldn't be a significant kill, considering the whole implied importance of the flashforward. In retrospect, the pink teddy bear flashforward scenes were pretty much pointless teasing for nothing, so who knows? The ricin might end up being for a minor character.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Gobolatula said:
If Gretchen and Elliott were the final villains of Breaking Bad I would literally laugh my ass off. I mean literally, I would chuckle so hard that my ass cheeks would rocket off my hips and make two holes in the wall that I would keep there to remind me of the most hilarious series in TV history.

Even if there were a connection, I think it would be more to unfairly bring them down than to reveal them as bad. Also, laugh your ass off? [they're clearly real fans of the show, too bad most of the joking truly is bad]

NightCrawler said:
Why would he use it on himself, he's already slowly dying (which is what ricin does, it wouldn't pleasant to die that way). My bet goes to Lydia, with it being used on one of her tea orders. But still, it wouldn't be a significant kill, considering the whole implied importance of the flashforward.

I've thought about this since we saw him retrieve it, and I might have said this on the podcast, but the only way him using it on himself makes sense is if it's before a kamikaze mission so there's no fear of death or hope for survival whatsoever. No going back.

Or he could just give it to Lydia, the ricin's last intended recipient. I don't think he'd go after her though unless she crosses him directly, like ordering the death of his wife (this would have to be after he takes out the Nazis, right? I don't think Charlie Rose would tell him). History would suggest Jack or Lydia, since it's always been for the drug lord supreme Walt was up against, and either one could qualify. Anyway, I think it's just another weapon at his disposal, though I'm sure he thought of a good purpose for it during his 30 hour drive. Maybe he'll put it in the next cook (and don't forget how he took out Emilio and Krazy 8, imagine if he did that to their entire lab ("one last cook" how apropos would that be =)

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CVC_TNY_09_30_13_580px.jpg

NightCrawler said:
In retrospect, the pink teddy bear flashforward scenes were pretty much pointless teasing for nothing, so who knows? The ricin might end up being for a minor character.

I wouldn't say it was nothing, just not what was expected, and that tease only spanned 13 episodes anyway. The ricin idea has been around since season 2 and has yet to be successfully deployed. Now that's a tease.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
NightCrawler said:
Why would he use it on himself, he's already slowly dying (which is what ricin does, it wouldn't pleasant to die that way).
I had suggested he use it on himself a few pages back. Why that and not cancer? Because then he's in control of when "it's over." My money is still on him administering it to himself as a Plan B for if he manages to survive the Nazi assault. He would turn himself in to the authorities to vindicate his family, admit to everything, take the fall, and then die in prison within three days.

All this being said, I'll be happy if I'm wrong and it's something even better. :daiba:

Griffith

Speaking of Walt's intentions, if you're so inclined check out this interview with Peter Gould, the writer of last night's episode:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/breaking-bad-granite-state-writer/

It seems more informative than most, particularly these passages taken together:

But you all were crafting his ultimate punishment. Did you ever consider ending the show like this, with Walt alone in his personal hell?
We did. And part of the flirtation for the episode, if you didn’t know there was another episode left to come, I was really hoping that you would watch the episode and say, “This is the end? It’s going to end not with a bang but a whimper? Where’s Heisenberg?” The man has lost his mojo, he’s lost his energy, which I think ultimately is the thing that we love about him is his energy, his springing back, and that’s gone. He just becomes this drained little man, and I think it creates, for me anyway, it creates this frustrating suspense because you want him to act, but the truth is, everything he’s done, every action he’s taken has just made things worse. It’s all turned to ashes in his hands. So in a weird way, he’s lost his confidence. And then also he has this impossible problem, which is to make any meaning out of this, he needs to get that money to his family, and that’s absolutely impossible, isn’t it?

Right. Which brings us to the bar. So I have to ask: Was bringing Gretchen and Elliott back always part of the plan?
It’s tricky. I can’t say too much because … the story’s not over yet. And there’s a lot of story yet to come in the next episode...

Hmmmm... perhaps Gretchen and Elliot have a more practical use to Walt yet.

Also, talking about the phone call, I feel like ever since last week’s phone call with Skyler, Walt has been almost trying to conjure up Heisenberg. And then in this episode, he starts to put on the hat and he can’t do it, and by the end you feel like he flips that switch, and you have Gretchen saying, “The Walt I knew is gone,” and having that parallel. What was it about Gretchen and Elliott’s interview that really set him off? She talked about the brilliant man being gone, but they also claimed he had nothing to do with their success.
There’s so much that goes on in that moment. There’s a lot of switches being closed, I think, in Walt. There’s emotions about the past, but then there’s also something else that we’re going to follow up on. A lot of that moment is going to be explored, what went on there. I’m trying to say enough without saying too much.

He may not have succeeded.

NightCrawler said:
The money will go to their drug abuse treatment center. :p

That's the most awesomely lame outcome ever.

Griffith said:

I really wanted to like that video since so much effort was put into it, but it was just not funny. Except for the ending, that was pretty funny. It usually helps if the parody actually makes sense (like this one) http://www.collegehumor.com/video/5803618/dangerous-wands

Between coming full circle to the flashbacks, foiling the nazis, defeating Lydia, ending Jesse, accounting for Brock, saying goodbye to Skyler, Junior, Holly, and Marie, seeing what happens to the money, doing whatever it is they're going to do with Gretchen and Elliot, how in the hell is the final episode going to cover all of this in just 53 minutes?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Speaking of Walt's intentions, if you're so inclined check out this interview with Peter Gould, the writer of last night's episode:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/breaking-bad-granite-state-writer/
Yep, some neat stuff, but quite a bit of obtuse wording in there in order to circumvent spoiling the next episode. Will probably make more sense after next week.

Still, this is what I was thinking about that last scene:

The way I see it is that Heisenberg is gone. He keeps trying to kind of evoke the ghost of Heisenberg, the thrill of feeling powerful, and it’s not there. It’s gone. It died when Hank died. It’s just not there. It died when he saw baby Holly. And then in the end, what is happening in my mind, and obviously we’re leaving it up to the audience to some extent, in my mind, what’s happening is he’s becoming something new. And it’s not Walter White; It’s not Heisenberg; it’s something new.
Watch the M60 be for Gretchen and Eliot's house :ganishka:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/tv/score/metascore/all?sort=desc&view=detailed :???:

Murphy Brown Season 2, baby, best show ever in its absolute prime! Anyway, for anyone into arbitrary ratings, check this out while it lasts (spoilers if you haven't seen Ozymandias but are reading this thread for some reason):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2301451/

Gobolatula said:
hahaha I swear I never saw this. Though their "laugh your ass off" joke is superior to mine.

The flaw is all the talk of the highest quality jokes, while fitting the premise, only highlights the Todd level quality of the material... BITCH! (get it, you see Jesse used to say that a lot, something nobody seems to have picked up on yet)

Walter said:
Yep, some neat stuff, but quite a bit of obtuse wording in there in order to circumvent spoiling the next episode. Will probably make more sense after next week.

Still, this is what I was thinking about that last scene:

It's like he broke bad after already breaking bad; he's the twice transmuted Heisenberg, just like Ganishka. :ganishka:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I thought this was gold. Poking fun at some of the ridiculous over-analysis the internet does: :ganishka:
http://i.imgur.com/M6nGsJy.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting detail on this most recent episode from the writer, Peter Gould:
Especially when a father writes a scene like the one where Walt is begging his son to take the money, really tearing himself open. Interesting sideline: Bryan did that scene, knocked it out of the park, and then the film was run over by an airplane. I kid you not. Our postproduction producer Diane Mercer still has the crushed film cans. We had pictures of film being brought into our labs in garbage bags. We had to go back and reshoot a portion of that scene. Bryan had to go through all that twice.
Full interview: http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/09/breaking-bad-peter-gould-granite-state-interview.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Griffith

Fun and plausible speculation about the possible meaning of "Felina":

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/09/25/is-felina-the-secret-to-the-breaking-bad-finale/

So, don't be surprised if El Paso plays during the finale.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Johnstantine said:
Wow, good job on Entertainment ripping off some dude's theory on Reddit.

Actually, Entertainment cited Previously TV, which probably ripped off some dude's theory on Reddit.

Also, I present to all of you Breaking Bad's writer's room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-boVLgheo
This is a time lapse video of the Breaking Bad writers writing episode 4 of season 5 called 'Fifty-One'.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vince Gilligan has signed a deal with CBS for a new drama.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/showbiz/tv/vince-gilligan-breaking-bad-cbs-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

The series centers on two detectives with thoroughly different world views, one cynical and one naive, who team up to "clean up the semi-mean streets" of Battle Creek, Michigan. The project is not exactly new: Gilligan originally penned a script for "Battle Creek" in 2002 for CBS, but the network never greenlighted it.

Here's the trouble—network TV blows ass. Then again, maybe Gilligan is the guy to turn that stigma around.

He will join forces with "House" creator David Shore on the police drama "Battle Creek," which will debut during the 2014-2015 season on CBS.

Gregory House is the biggest Mary Sue on television. The insanely formulaic episodes, forced romance subplots, and non-stop psychoanalysis dialogue (particularly Wilson whose dialogue was nothing but psychoanalyzing the main character) made the show very off putting.

Vince Gilligan can do better than the guy behind that.

I don't know if it's the premise, the fact it'll be on CBS, or what, but the alarm bells are going off in my head. I just don't get the feeling that Battle Creek will be that good of a show. However, like Walter said, if any writer is going to prove me wrong it'll be Gilligan. I'll go in with an open mind. My expectations are pretty low right now though.

Top Bottom