Breaking Bad

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Team Walt-Jesse is back, biznatcheeees!! :ubik:

This episode leaves us with a ton and a half of questions. Now that Gus knows that Jesse's on Walt's side again, what will be his next move? If Gus didn't poison Brock, who did? Will there be a confrontation at Hank and Marie's? What will become of that horrendous purple shag carpet?

Ultimately, I think there was a lot more sitting around and waiting than I was expecting in this episode. That's okay though, because I think a lot of asses are gonna get kicked in the next episode. :guts: Come on Mike, get well already!

Gobolatula said:
I've been thinking about this all day, and I am almost 100% certain,
Walt was responsible for the kid being poisoned.

I'm still kinda on the fence about this. I just don't feel like there's enough information yet. Walt brings up a good point; if he hasn't seen Jesse since last night, how would he have gotten the lucky cigarette?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Walt was responsible for the kid being poisoned. Gus reacted to the kid being poisoned as if he'd just found out about it. In front of Jesse, he was sympathetic. Which, of course, could be an act. Then when he was alone with his goons, he was like "HUH..." as if he JUST figured out what had happened.
I came here to post that I think this is a crazy notion, but after re-reading it and thinking ... you might actually be right. :magni:

Gobolatula said:
Walt was responsible for the kid being poisoned. Gus reacted to the kid being poisoned as if he'd just found out about it. In front of Jesse, he was sympathetic. Which, of course, could be an act. Then when he was alone with his goons, he was like "HUH..." as if he JUST figured out what had happened.

I think Walter White might be dead. All that's left is HEISENBERG.

I'm not really convinced.
It's just, I know Walt is a genius and all, but the intricacy of this plan and the complete random chance that he could wind up getting shot in the head if Jesse wouldn't wait and listen.. He's definitely reckless enough to do it, but that plan did not feel at all spontaneous to me. It felt much more like something Gus had in mind when he said, "There will be an appropriate response." Plus the way Walt laughed makes me think it really did just dawn on him.

At the same time, it would set things up nicely for next season I think.. so who knows? I kinda always thought if Jesse truly was gonna turn on Walt he'd do it after learning about what happened to Jane.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sarcomere said:
I'm not really convinced.
Well, I'm not 100% convinced myself, and I hope it's not true... :sad:

But watching the scene between he and Jesse again, it's veeerrrry convincing.
Walt just happens to leave the gun near Jesse? He lets his guard down while he's expecting Gus to send a hitman? In front of Jesse, who has been spending time with Mike -- The Hitman? Walt was acting cool and collected when Skyler left, but suddenly he's acting all crazy as soon as Jesse arrives? Watching that scene with this frame of mind, the whole thing looks like an act to me. And I'm not talking about Cranston. The part when Walt puts the barrel of the gun to his head is actually the biggest selling point, he knew Jesse wouldn't do it, because he'd planted the seed of doubt in Jesse's head. But that act solidified his trust with Jesse.

It's too bad if this is true, too. I mean, in more ways than one. Walt has orchestrated pain and tragedy in Jesse's life from the beginning -- letting his girlfriend die, and possibly killing Tomas. If both of these things end up being true, he's Jesse's nemesis.

But why not Gus?
In my opinion, Gus is less likely the guy because he uncharacteristically lets a batch of meth go to waste and gives Jesse a full week to recooperate. He doesn't push him any further. If it were Gus who had been the poisoner, he would have foreseen this outcome as a possibility and constructed a plan around losing any money.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
also, what Saul told Jesse and walt confirming that Gus took him out in the desert and threaten him.
And the fact tha Walt has kids himself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
also, what Saul told Jesse and walt confirming that Gus took him out in the desert and threaten him.
And the fact tha Walt has kids himself.
Not sure what you're implying here but...
if you're saying Walt wouldn't kill a kid because he has a kid himself, I'm not so sure about that anymore. Think about it this way. Walt knows Gus will come after his family. He needs to kill Gus first. But how can he get close to Gus? He has to earn back Jesse's trust and orchestrate an opening through Jesse regardless of the cost. To Walt, this is the only way he can protect his family. I'm sure he'd rationalize just about anything at this state.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Not sure what you're implying here but...
if you're saying Walt wouldn't kill a kid because he has a kid himself, I'm not so sure about that anymore. Think about it this way. Walt knows Gus will come after his family. He needs to kill Gus first. But how can he get close to Gus? He has to earn back Jesse's trust and orchestrate an opening through Jesse regardless of the cost. To Walt, this is the only way he can protect his family. I'm sure he'd rationalize just about anything at this state.

Not enough time while at work.
but pretty much what you said, just myself implying Walt wouldn't kill a kid because he has kids, making Jesee believe in him even more. At this point I know Walt will do anything to kill Gus.

X

Xem

Ehhh, this seems a bit silly to debate about in my opinion.
Walt would no longer be looked at as a good guy, worth rooting for, if he pulled a stunt like that. Unless he knew the kid would survive somehow it's simply not possible. Having the main character deliberately kill a child, for any reason, won't fly with too many people. That's unforgivable under any circumstances.
If nothing else my perception of the character wouldn't even fathom that as an idea. Simply my opinion, anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Ehhh, this seems a bit silly to debate about in my opinion.
Walt would no longer be looked at as a good guy, worth rooting for, if he pulled a stunt like that.
Well, then you really shouldn't read this interview about what series creator Vince Gilligan has said about Walt being a sympathetic character:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/06/26/breaking-bad-the-finest-hour-on-television.html

Every time Gilligan and his team nudge Walt closer to the dark side, they make it harder for viewers to care about his fate. Which means each season is trickier to create than the last. “Breaking Bad hopefully gains new viewers with every episode,” Gilligan says. “But if I’m being honest, I have to think that we’re losing viewers as well. There are some people who shake loose and say, ‘This guy is too damn dark. I can’t root for him anymore.’ The secret is to make sure Walt’s always fascinating, even if people find it tougher and tougher to sympathize with him.”

From what I saw on set, I can say this much for sure: by the end of season four, there won’t be many viewers left who sympathize with Walt.
Personally I find it refreshing for a television show that Walter's morality is a constantly moving target.

X

Xem

I wouldn't stop watching the show, but I'd forever consider him a pretty worthless individual and a series flaw, but to each their own. I just doubt it will happen strongly, but could easily be wrong, I'm sure half the ideas I come up with are equally or more ridiculous.

Walter said:
Well, I'm not 100% convinced myself, and I hope it's not true... :sad:

It's too bad if this is true, too. I mean, in more ways than one. Walt has orchestrated pain and tragedy in Jesse's life from the beginning -- letting his girlfriend die, and possibly killing Tomas.

Except if
Walt used something else instead of Ricine (which usually takes several days before there's any effect) just to make sure Jesse actually believed that Broke is in danger. In other words, Walt used something with a faster effect, toxic but non lethal. I'm not sure about this one but it can makes sense when you thing about the fact that Saul bodyguard's did a bodysearch way before the incident.

EDIT :
I'm now absolutly sure about the "bodysearch theory". Watch closely when big head doing it. He actually put something in his pocket :serpico:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Damn, I didn't even consider the angle you guys are thinking about. Is it Sunday yet? :puck:

X

Xem

I spent some time stewing on this theory and I'm starting to come around a little bit.
If Walt was the poisoner, whether through Saul or otherwise, then he'd successfully manipulated Jesse into helping take down Gus. If the season ends with Gus dying, then we have a final season of the Ultimate Showdown™ between Jesse and Walt. And honestly, in my opinion, Jesse would be more the more innocent of the two. The guy with no friends and family (not really, anyway) trying to avenge his love against a father forced into evil actions to protect the ones he loves. Sounds pretty epic.

It also occurred to me that Saul may have done it, being the only the one to really gain from a Walt/Gus showdown, as well as aware of the poisoned cigarette. He just doesn't seem smart enough to pull it off, but there could be genius in that.

Anyway, the thing that gets me is how Gus didn't get into the car, that seemed indicative that he was onto the
plan to turn Jesse against him
, however unlikely it is. He's still alive due to his paranoia, so it's plausible.

For now I still hold onto my theory that Walt just wouldn't do it. Saul.... yea, just not smart enough. Gus? How did he know about the poison....

And lastly, there's always the possibility that Brock simply found Jesse's pack and just grabbed the wrong cigarette.

AHHH!!!!
Gimme next episode please. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
It also occurred to me that Saul may have done it, being the only the one to really gain from a Walt/Gus showdown, as well as aware of the poisoned cigarette. He just doesn't seem smart enough to pull it off, but there could be genius in that.
I think you're giving Saul and his goons way too much credit.

Anyway, the thing that gets me is how Gus didn't get into the car, that seemed indicative that he was onto the
plan to turn Jesse against him
, however unlikely it is. He's still alive due to his paranoia, so it's plausible.
It's more an indication that he was suspicious about Jesse period. No reason for Gus to see through all layers of the deception just yet.

Gus? How did he know about the poison....
Going out on a limb here but MAYBE it was the constant surveillance? :iva:

And lastly, there's always the possibility that Brock simply found Jesse's pack and just grabbed the wrong cigarette.
Not a possibility. Jesse ruled it out. Watch the scene again.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Oh, I don't know...

Picture from the finale:
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ep13-walt-saul.jpg

Saul has proven himself incredibly valuable time and time again. He's capable of A LOT even though he's a goofy bastard.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Saul has proven himself incredibly valuable time and time again. He's capable of A LOT even though he's a goofy bastard.

Sure. Saul is crafty, and there's always a sense that he knows more than he lets on. But do you really think Huell (big black guy) could be able to steal Jesse's cigarette?

Watching the scene with Saul again, you can't help but feel he is manipulating Jesse, I just can't tell exactly to what end.

HI GUYS!!!

I didn't realize there was a Breaking Bad thread here! I'm a fan of the show too. Just saw this week's episode tonight. I haven't read all the spoiler text on this page because I kinda want to keep all the predictions out of mind until I see the finale this Sunday. Hehehe. I have to say, last week's episode was crazzzzzaaaaay (especially the ending, g'damn the acting is so good on this show). This week's episode, ohhh man, edge of my seat for sure.
I'm glad to see Jesse and Walt back on the same side again. Their constant back and forth always weighs heavy for me. Whenever they fight, especially the one a few eps back inside Jesse's home when Walt really gets beat the fuck up, man... that was soooo depressing. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out how Gus would know something was bugged in his car, or simply that something was "wrong". Was it something that Jesse said that led Gus to believe something fishy is happening? Is it because Jesse said "it was poison"? Well, we shall see soon enough!

And what I'm eagerly looking forward to...
is the day Hank finds out about Walt... if it ever happens. I really have no idea what Hank will do. Hell, I wonder what Walt Jr will have to say too. I feel like he's quite the understanding son...

Bryan Cranston is da man. You know, I actually ran into him at a friend's play in NYC (he was at the same show I went to, and the theater only sat like 30 people), and after the show he was hanging out front chatting with someone. No one was surrounding him, or asking for autographs or anything. I knew who he was, but at the time, I hadn't seen ANY Breaking Bad, so I didn't flip out at all. FUCKING SHIT if I saw him now, my goodness, I would have him sign my penis if I could. Guy's phenomenal.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Bryan Cranston is da man. You know, I actually ran into him at a friend's play in NYC (he was at the same show I went to, and the theater only sat like 30 people), and after the show he was hanging out front chatting with someone. No one was surrounding him, or asking for autographs or anything. I knew who he was, but at the time, I hadn't seen ANY Breaking Bad, so I didn't flip out at all. FUCKING SHIT if I saw him now, my goodness, I would have him sign my penis if I could. Guy's phenomenal.
[/quote]

DAmn! I would have just asked him his autograph from "Seinfeld" and "Malcom in the middle" Well, maybe you living in NYC, will get a second chance.

I took a break from Star Trek (Season 2) and started watching Breaking Bad. On Ep 4 Season 1, pretty good so far. Seeing it's popularity on here made me check it out, thanks guys!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
TWO MORE DAYS!!!!
5.5 hours :mozgus:

IncantatioN said:
I took a break from Star Trek (Season 2) and started watching Breaking Bad. On Ep 4 Season 1, pretty good so far. Seeing it's popularity on here made me check it out, thanks guys!
I honestly wasn't very fond of the show until sometime in Season 2. Those first few episodes feel very spastic and unrealistic, as if they weren't sure which direction they were going. But by season 3 you will be hooked. And 4 well... need I even say anything? :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Terminated.
:badbone:

I already miss Gus
:sad:

So, season 5...
Hank's investigation into the methlab fallout lead to a big Walt reveal?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
"I won." :femto:

What a line. It perfectly sums up Walt's thoughts about all the events that took place in this episode. In a weird way, all this craziness is like a game that Walt needs to "win."

I'm feeling a lot of mixed emotions now that I've just watched the finale. On one hand, I'm sad to see Gus go; his was a sort of rich, nuanced character that just begged for more attention. I just hope that they can maintain that energy in final season. Oh man... what's going to happen to Jesse? Walt's managed to completely ruin his life, and he's not even aware of how far he's gone. :judo:

Now... time to get Mike back into the game! Now that Gus has been 'sploded, I wonder who he'll sell his loyalties to.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Now... time to get Mike back into the game! Now that Gus has been 'sploded, I wonder who he'll sell his loyalties to.
I dunno. But I have a feeling Mike and Jessie
will be the last thing Walt sees in his life.

What I loved most about this episode was the writers showing that they have the hugest balls on television. Most shows would keep the meth lab and Gus around, ya know, just in case they run out of ideas and need to backtrack a little (ahem, LOST). This show fearlessly trods forward into the unknown, changing huge pieces of the scenery and players at will, all because the creator has a story to tell.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Again, this show literally gave me another panic attack. When the
"FACE OFF" scene went down, I was all, HOLYSHITFUCKHOLLYDICKSSS going insane. My heartbeat skyrocketed when Tio finally looks at Gus. It's a fucking strange look. Sad as all hell at first, then amazing fury. DING DING DING DING DING DING. I felt like I was gonna pass out right then and there.

This is the best show on television and that was what I call a satisfying season finale.

I can rest now for a while.

Top Bottom