Breaking Bad

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
Not sure whether you guys saw that yet but season 5 will apparently be the last.
That's actually good news to me, I'd rather see 5 good seasons than it going on 14 with only the first 6 being worthwhile after Walt Jr. dies of a breakfast overdose. This also reminds me that I haven't watched this week's episode yet!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Not sure whether you guys saw that yet but season 5 will apparently be the last.
That is very welcome news. The creator had hinted that would be the case before, but you never know with these guys... Good to know he's sticking to his word.

Half of the power of the show comes from the sense that Walt is going further and further down the rabbit hole. But that tension doesn't hold any weight if they extend the show indefinitely. Having a clear end in mind will only make the show better.

I'm also late to this week's episode. Was out with friends last night. Will watch this afternoon and post thoughts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fantastic episode. The season is just getting better and better. Started out too slow, in my opinion.

Walt reeled Hank back in to the investigation. Why? WHY?! Because Walt is a vain, proud motherfucker.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I thought Jesse was going to locked up, or beaten up to get the point across. It's was surprising that it's the other way around.
I had suspected that would happen. Jesse just needed a good push to make him feel alive again. Though to me, that scene between Gus and Mike revealed that Mike might not be okay with how manipulative Gus is.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Fantastic episode. The season is just getting better and better. Started out too slow, in my opinion.

Walt reeled Hank back in to the investigation. Why? WHY?! Because Walt is a vain, proud motherfucker.

That look on Walt's face as he was telling Hank, that wasn't his genius was priceless. Also, Skyler's look was like "WTF" are you doing.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Skyler probably has an idea now that
Walt had something to do with killing a man.
Also, she's more than likely thinking
"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU FUCK."

Walt had a lot of idiotic moments in this episode in my opinion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Skyler probably has an idea now that
Walt had something to do with killing a man.
I thought her look, and the tension of that scene, was more focused on the fact that she now realizes that Hank himself had been investigating Walt's meth. I don't think she could have drawn the conclusion that he'd
arranged for Gail's death

X

Xem

No one watched it last night? :azan:

Walt seems to be making a lot of bad decisions based on his pride or impulse it seems, at first I thought it was annoying and out of character but maybe he's slipping a little?
For example bringing the immigrants down to help clean was an extremely obvious bad idea. He's intelligent enough to realize Gus wouldn't just let them return like nothing happened.
Now I'm starting to wonder if a lot of this is coming out of all the stress he's under, as well as frustration over his personal life. Walt tends to show his emotions in pretty interesting ways.

Also,
if you ask me it's pretty clear Walt wants to be in charge of things - his family, Jesse, the business, his wife, etc. - and if you ask me they've been hinting that eventually Walt may hit that 'boss' status both literally and figuratively by the end of the series.

Just my two cents.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Walt seems to be making a lot of bad decisions based on his pride or impulse it seems, at first I thought it was annoying and out of character but maybe he's slipping a little?
It's not out of character at all. He's a prideful, vain man, just as he has been for the whole series. Remember when his friend offered to pay for his cancer treatment, which would have been an easy out for his whole meth cooking solution? Instead, he chose to not be pitied, and make the money himself, dragging his whole family down with him. That's pride. When he
got drunk and refused to let Gail fall on the sword of Walt's career
, that was pride again.

For example bringing the immigrants down to help clean was an extremely obvious bad idea. He's intelligent enough to realize Gus wouldn't just let them return like nothing happened.
Now I'm starting to wonder if a lot of this is coming out of all the stress he's under, as well as frustration over his personal life. Walt tends to show his emotions in pretty interesting ways.
It wasn't that out of the ordinary for him. He was frustrated at Gus controlling his work and at having to do more tedious labor than normal, so he tried to game the system himself. That little wink at Gus in the camera while sipping coffee, that was totally a Walt move. His little game was harmless in his own mind, but Gus sees the bigger picture. Walt implicated those women and exposed them to the lab. They had to go.

Also,
if you ask me it's pretty clear Walt wants to be in charge of things - his family, Jesse, the business, his wife, etc. - and if you ask me they've been hinting that eventually Walt may hit that 'boss' status both literally and figuratively by the end of the series.
Just my two cents.
I don't think any of those conclusions are accurate.
He wants to be a part of his family, he senses Jesse being manipulated and is worried over what Gus is trying to do, he has never given any indication he cares about the overall business, and he's been very hands-off with Skyler, letting her do her own thing, trying to win her back in his own meandering, foolish way.

I think you're letting your imagination run away with itself based on that one line from the Car Wash guy, about how "It's tough to be the boss." The look of derision on Walt's face, I read that as him thinking about Gus, given his current boss-employee relationship. But then it transitions into a "tough guy" standoff between Walt and the Car Wash guy.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The scene where Walt
took Carry McWasherson's first dollar and spent it on a soda was great. The whole episode was great. Walt really is reckless when it comes to this criminal world.

We've got the rest of this season + 16 more episodes to see how it'll all end. How long will Walt be battling with Gus?

Gus is such a great, interesting villain.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
A lot of bald men or men with shaved heads in this show. It's fantastic. I love Jesse's new look.
Yeah. I can't wait for Gus to shave his head and then he, Mike, Walt and Jesse can go camping out in the desert together. Calling it -- best episode ever.

Dar_Klink

Don't forget when Walt Jr. shaves his head to be closer to his father and starts to rebel against having 1 breakfast scene per episode. BREAKING BALD.
rqD9A.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
This episode was great.
At least Walt had some fun with the car, than his son. Jesse seems to be getting more involved now, and with the cartel on Gus' mind, seems he's going to get more gun action. Hank,Hank, he really stepped it up, and seems to be back in action. Now everything is going to get more complicated, which means more great episodes for us. :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Best episode of the season.
Wrong. This was the best episode of the season.

There's this really cool thing that has been going on since episode 2 of this season, but I've yet to articulate it. As soon as Gus vanished from Walt's life, he was replaced by the security camera. This cold, omnipresent, calculating camera, behind which is of course, Gus. But in his absence, the camera has come to personify Gus. This transference of performance was perfect. The actor's body language is mirrored by a machine. Amazing. Just amazing.

Oh yeah, and HANK'S BACK, people.

ZoaKT.gif

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
It's about time we had ourselves a
Gus episode. I really love when they do flashbacks in Breaking Bad.

This episode came at the perfect time. I loved Gus before as a villain, but now I *get it*... Also, I nearly flipped my shit when he just appeared before Walt at the restaraunt.

Dar_Klink

Breaking Bad always makes me so hungry, I swear I wish Los Pollos Hermanos was real.
DAT FLASHBACK, probably my favorite part this season, and that part with Hank and Walt in his car was just so tense, the show really ups itself another notch or 3 every episode.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fantastic episode. That ending... jesus. I love Gus even more now. Though think calling him a "villain" is selling his character short.

Th3Branded0ne said:
It's good to get Gus' flashback to get how did all began with him.
This was an awesome look into Gus' past, but it still wasn't the full story on him. We still don't know the specifics of who he was in Chile. Though clearly he was someone important. The previous Cartel boss let him live because he knew who he was ("But this is not Chile"). It's been implied that he was a general in the previous regieme. Hector refers to him as "generalissimo" sarcastically in Season 3, Ep 7 and in the same scene, told whoever was on the phone, likely the other cartel boss, that he didn't care who he knew.

Another cool aspect of the Gus flashback was
his partner pleading with the boss, saying that they were partners, you didn't get just one. They came as a set. Harkens back to Walt pleading with Gus to let him work with Jesse. And of course, Gus ultimately sympathized, or at least agreed to Walt's terms, even though they weren't the most efficient.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Don't really know how long till the season is over, but havoc is approaching.
There should be five more episodes. Each season is 13 eps.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
The fight was sure the best part of this episode. Walt really fucked it up this time.
Yeah, I've rarely been as pissed at him as what he pulled this episode. What a moron...

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hey guys! I've been slowly getting up to speed on Breaking Bad for the past few months, and tonight's was my first "live" episode. And what a note to catch up on!

Between the madness with the Cartel and Skyler's struggle to keep Ted from being, well, Ted, it was a real treat compared to some of the more dialogue-heavy episodes in this past season. The fact that Gus took the bullet (or should I say tablet) on this one was a bit of a surprise, though his actions here combined with those in the flashback are really starting to put things in perspective (I'm really looking forward to seeing more Gus flashbacks, and whether revenge on the Cartel was his sole motivation for starting business in Albuquerque). The parallels between Gus and Jesse are proving to be anything but subtle, which, in my mind, heavily implies that Jesse won't be putting his lucky cigarette to use anytime soon (or at least, not on Gus :slan:).

Also, Walt screws up again. What else is new? :troll:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Glad to have you caught up finally, Grail. :ubik:

This episode was insane.
I am not used to seeing Gus so vulnerable. Jesse could take out both Gus and Mike right now and he totally won't.

Next week's preview looks insane and I have no idea what's going to happen. I also wonder if anything will happen with Saul's "disappear forever" guy.

Top Bottom