Breaking Bad

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Great to have you on the Breaking BAd section Grail! Im Glad WAlt admitted he fucked it up last time.
Gobolatula said:
Glad to have you caught up finally, Grail. :ubik:

This episode was insane.
I am not used to seeing Gus so vulnerable. Jesse could take out both Gus and Mike right now and he totally won't.

I was thinking the same thing, but with happened with Walt last time, I don't see him doing it anytime soon, or unless he's in deeper trouble

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The season keeps getting better and better. What an amazing show.

So Gus finally exacts his revenge on Don Eladio and his ENTIRE gang of bosses. Can't say it was terribly surprising, the way it went down. From the moment there was some tension about what was in the box, you kind of knew that it wasn't going to end well. And when he requests that Jesse not get any of the drink, you know what's going to happen.

One thing that concerns me, with Jesse, Gus and Hank fleeing the scene, is that video tape the cartel made of Jesse's cooking process. That seems like a potential loose end, to me.

Regarding the subplot with Skylar and Ted, my concern is whether or not this is actually going to pan out and become a major problem by the end of the show, or is it all going to be resolved by the end of the season, and it won't have any impact, just tension and further embedding Skylar into the criminal world. If this IS going to have some lasting implications, I really hope an IRS investigation isn't how the Walt/Gus empire falls. That would not be very dramatic. Honestly for the past two seasons, Skylar's stuff has been the most boring of the bunch. I find scenes with her to be tedious. But I'm interested in hearing other perspectives on her.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Just... wow. I was jumping up out of my seat during this episode.
Although the Ted subplot bores the hell out of me, like all of Skylar's stuff. I'd feel better if Hank, Saul, or even freaking Badger got the spotlight over her, and Badger annoys me.

So Breaking Bad seasons 1-3 are on Netflix streaming, plus I have all of S4 DvRd and decided to rewatch every episode over the weekend instead of studying for a Biochem test. I feel the information is roughly transferable.

Walter said:
The season keeps getting better and better. What an amazing show.

So Gus finally exacts his revenge on Don Eladio and his ENTIRE gang of bosses. Can't say it was terribly surprising, the way it went down. From the moment there was some tension about what was in the box, you kind of knew that it wasn't going to end well. And when he requests that Jesse not get any of the drink, you know what's going to happen.

One thing that concerns me, with Jesse, Gus and Hank fleeing the scene, is that video tape the cartel made of Jesse's cooking process. That seems like a potential loose end, to me.

Hank? So all bald people look alike to you?! :troll:
Definitely agree on the revenge being way too predictable. The box wasn't presented subtly at all, and once he opens it and its some rare booze.... yeah that's so obviously poison. Plus don't give it to my special junkie meth cook! :schierke: By the way, did anyone else notice how his meth was 96% pure? That's the purity Gale quoted to Gus in the flashback in the season premier when he was arguing why they needed the other chemist. (Since Walt got it over 99%).

Another thing is that it didn't seem to me like the cartel scientist took a drink. I'd have to rewatch it to be sure, but when everyone else is keeling over, he just sort of sits there and looks shocked but unaffected. If he did survive, its plausible he took the tape, but otherwise yeah that seems like something the police might find, but probably won't.

I think the main reason I didn't like Skylar this episode is a severe lack of Hank :judo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sD3w5VBny4&feature=related

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
(I'm really looking forward to seeing more Gus flashbacks, and whether revenge on the Cartel was his sole motivation for starting business in Albuquerque).
I forgot to point out that this is an excellent question for the episodes ahead. Though I think that
Gus' business wasn't solely about revenge. Afterall he wanted to run a meth business before his friend/lover was killed. I think Gus wanted to create a peerless product and run the drug operation efficiently and cleanly (not unlike his Chicken business), unlike how the cartel does it.

Sarcomere said:
Hank? So all bald people look alike to you?! :troll:
:ganishka: Whoops! Yeah... It always throws me off how so many characters in this show have one-syllable names. Walt, Hank, Gus, Mike, Saul, Ted, Jess.....e.

X

Xem

Getting some more Walt Jr. scenes was a welcomed change (anyone else laugh at how he chose breakfast over lunch?.. no? just me?.. okay). I can relate, as I'm sure a lot can, to seeing my father in a light that I wasn't supposed to see.

Ted is perhaps even more annoying than Skylar, so that whole scenario sorta repulses me. I'm expecting some sort of blackmailing on Ted's part if/once he finds out the money is dirty. Or at least he'll try to blackmail somehow. Thankfully Saul is involved there for us, so it's not all bad. Either way that situation is messy, here's to hoping Walt socks Ted a good one right in the kisser by the end of it. :slan:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
There's been a lot of talk about
Max being Gus' lover. I wonder if there's been any "official" word about it, like Vince Gilligan saying something on a podcast, etc?

I definitely see Gus and Max as a romance. Gus may have told Walt about having a wife / kids, but it seems he's always home alone, unless someone comes over for dinner (like Walt or Jessie). I'm sure it's all about appearances.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
There's been a lot of talk about
Max being Gus' lover. I wonder if there's been any "official" word about it, like Vince Gilligan saying something on a podcast, etc?

I definitely see Gus and Max as a romance. Gus may have told Walt about having a wife / kids, but it seems he's always home alone, unless someone comes over for dinner (like Walt or Jessie). I'm sure it's all about appearances.
I think it's implied and reinforced in the story. But I know of no confirmation.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
What's with all the boredom over the Skyler scenes? :judo: I actually found her character development over the past season pretty intriguing; plus, she puts perspective on all the stupid crap Walt's been doing. I feel like she sums my feelings up pretty well when she says,
"I'm protecting this family from the man who's protecting this family."
She's making the most of the terrible situation she's in, and desperately picking up after a husband who's basically lost his marbles. :casca:

I also agree about the Gus/Max business. When Gus first mentioned Max, I assumed that he was a close childhood friend, or maybe even a relative. The fact that Gus was impacted by Max so strongly (not to mention his reaction when Hector shot him) despite the their meeting as adults suggests some sort of romantic connection.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That last scene was breathtaking. Poor Walt... he must feel betrayed at all sides.

And it seems I was dead wrong about
Gus. He's just another monster afterall. "I will kill your infant daughter."

Though part of me thinks this was merely a show to scare Walt away, I also believe that he would do it. And Walt just initiated the action that would trigger that kind of activity in Gus. With two full episodes still to go, my mind reels at the possibilities for the final season. The actions taken tonight were like END GAME material for the series.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
That last scene was breathtaking. Poor Walt... he must feel betrayed at all sides.

And it seems I was dead wrong about
Gus. He's just another monster afterall. "I will kill your infant daughter."

Though part of me thinks this was merely a show to scare Walt away, I also believe that he would do it. And Walt just initiated the action that would trigger that kind of activity in Gus. With two full episodes still to go, my mind reels at the possibilities for the final season. The actions taken tonight were like END GAME material for the series.

I agree. What else is Walt to do now? He's ready to deal with it, according to the preview.It's sure getting pretty damm dangerous for everyone involved. :magni:

Tonight's ending was absolutely fantastic.
The mix of the crying on the phone while Walt laughed maniacally gave me chills it was so creepy/good.

I can't wait for next week's episode.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Walter said:
tonight were like END GAME material for the series.

Absolutely. I could barely keep up with how quickly things escalated in those last 15 minutes. I also wasn't expecting the
disappearance
card to be played so early; I figured the writers would leave the idea huddled in the corner until the most desperate moment, but it seems like that moment is already here. :magni:

If the Whites do end up having to vanish before the end of the season, I'm wondering what they'll be doing about the lack of funds. Since it seems like Walt will be marked for death anyway, his only choice may be to contact Jesse and get him to help somehow. Though, at the same time, I can't help but feel like it would almost be preferable to spill the beans to the police, compared to the possibility of being offed by Team Gus. Either way, they'll lose their savings, and will be forced to start back at square one (at least in terms of Walter's intentions at the beginning of the series).

But of course, you always have to account for Walt's arrogance as the one unpredictable factor that can throw any or all of these plans into disarray. But that brings out yet another question: between his pride and the protection of his family, which wins out? I used to think I knew, but now it's starting to feel fuzzy. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
I agree. What else is Walt to do now?
There's still one desperate solution to all of Walt's current problems, but it isn't pretty.
Kill Jesse.

Here's the preview in case anyone missed it. I know they didn't air it on my viewing of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_en8dhbC0 Some of the quick cuts at the end of it are pretty revealing. But I won't spoil them here.

Grail said:
But of course, you always have to account for Walt's arrogance as the one unpredictable factor that can throw any or all of these plans into disarray. But that brings out yet another question: between his pride and the protection of his family, which wins out? I used to think I knew, but now it's starting to feel fuzzy. :judo:
Yeah, that's the thing... with Walt, you never know how he's going to react when cornered. He can pull some miraculous stunts. Remember his showdown in season 1 with the "this is not meth...." *BOOM*. Of course, he's done some stupid shit too.

One thing that confused me about the ending was how much money Walt had stashed at the house. I would imagine 500k would be easy to come by, given his income. But the guys over at the SA forums had a good breakdown of where that money has gone the past few years:

1. Walt's medical bills (unknown amount, probably $X00,000)
2. Hank's medical bills (unknown amount, probably $X0,000?)
3. Buying the car wash (~$800,000)
4. Ted's IRS money ($617,000)
6. That little exploding car stunt (~$50,000)

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
That episode rocked my socks off.

Walt is fucked. Unless he makes some drastic choices.

He can
1) Somehow get the money to pay the "disappear man" (maybe from Jesse)
2) Confess to Hank, tell him everything.
3) Kill Jesse
4) Kill Gus or get him killed

Something to do with the poison cigarette will go down, I think. I'm not ruling out Jesse killing Gus

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to watch the 1 minute preview for next episode, it's here: http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/breaking-bad-sneak-peek-episode-412-end-times

And it looks like Walt's
going off to ask Gus to kill him, and only him. Sparing his family.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oh man, I thought last week's episode couldn't be topped, but I was proven so wrong.
Walt's laugh was more haunting and scary than any horror movie I've seen in a while, I was just blown away by that whole last part.
Of course there's no better way to ruin the tension than by making fun of it!
Spoilers here somewhat
http://imgur.com/a/qBkM9

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Oh man, I thought last week's episode couldn't be topped, but I was proven so wrong.
Walt's laugh was more haunting and scary than any horror movie I've seen in a while, I was just blown away by that whole last part.
Of course there's no better way to ruin the tension than by making fun of it!
Spoilers here somewhat
http://imgur.com/a/qBkM9
:ganishka: Those are all fantastic!

Reminded me, I wanted to screen cap that basement shot of Walt. Here it is in quasi-HD (click)

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
Spoiler alert:
Someone is going to die next episode. :carcus:
WHO?!!?!??!?

Seriously, do you know?

Man, I've never been so disappointed at the ending.
Walt was SO CLOSE. But Gus is smart as fuck, so... Yeah.

Another great episode. We're in for a fucking insane finale.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nah I don't know any specifics. But the ending preview was way too heavy. It's going to happen to someone.

Gobolatula said:
Man, I've never been so disappointed at the ending.
Walt was SO CLOSE. But Gus is smart as fuck, so... Yeah.
I don't think he was actually hesitating because he suspected
a car bomb,
even though that's what it appeared. I think he was more suspecting Jessie of being up to a ruse, and he went back to change the plan.

That being said, I thought their plan was pretty ingenious myself.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Nah I don't know any specifics. But the ending preview was way too heavy. It's going to happen to someone.
I don't think he was actually hesitating because he suspected
a car bomb,
even though that's what it appeared. I think he was more suspecting Jessie of being up to a ruse, and he went back to change the plan.

That being said, I thought their plan was pretty ingenious myself.

YEah, it would have made him look like he knows it all, but still he slipped of being killed by his own instincts I think. Man, the finale sure seems like it's gonna leave me with a big "?"

X

Xem

Haha I'm really having fun with this because my girlfriend keeps forgetting there's a whole other season after this. She keeps saying, "The can't kill Walt! He's got one more episode left!" :griffnotevil:

I'm on the edge of my seat for sure, but I'm sure they'll figure something out. Now that
Jesse looks like he's back on Walt's side, I feel the tables have turned on Gus a little bit.
Can't wait for the finale!

EDIT :: OFF-TOPIC: By the way, not saying this is happening, but wouldn't it be kinda cool if this was the last season? Like, since a series finale can sometimes be impossible to live up to the expectations, they decided not to tell anyone that they're ending it and letting us treat it like any other finale initially? I've sometimes thought that would be a neat idea, like if Miura didn't tell us and Berserk ended abruptly one day (not anytime soon), for example, but without any true warning so expectations aren't sky-rocketed.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I've been thinking about this all day, and I am almost 100% certain,
Walt was responsible for the kid being poisoned. Gus reacted to the kid being poisoned as if he'd just found out about it. In front of Jesse, he was sympathetic. Which, of course, could be an act. Then when he was alone with his goons, he was like "HUH..." as if he JUST figured out what had happened.

I think Walter White might be dead. All that's left is HEISENBERG.

Top Bottom