Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Aazealh said:
That's why no matter how good this game will be (and I hope it'll be incredible) I'll always want more 2D Castlevania games, because you can do things in them that are just not possible in 3D games (and vice versa).

Oh yea, I agree with you completely!
-Castlevania: Lament of Innocence was good, provided some interesting details about the introduction of the whip itself; was fun, it really was, but I still prefer the 2Ds
-Castlevania: Curse of Darkness was interesting but the story was crap. There were also familiars you needed to level up similar to Symphony of the Night, like a gargoyle and the special one was some pumpkin guy with a knife. Fun enough I guess but not an essential play.

I have to say my favorite is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood though, the original was great and then they released a new version on the PSP (the reason I got my PSP actually); I am a big fan of Richter and playing as Maria was fun as well.

Anyways, yea, I'm looking forward to Lords of Shadows! Hopefully it will be as promising as it sounds; it seems to be making a lot of progress compared to other Castlevania 3Ds too.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
TriFrog said:
Something about the original Castlevania enemies such as the venus weeds always gave me artistic inspiration somehow, however this new stuff seems more like the rest, God of War, Dante's Inferno, etc. But I guess it's about time it got a little more grotesque. I am not sure we'll see some classic enemies (like the Medusa heads) though I can't remember if they were in the other 3D games either.

Like Cox said, Castevania needs a reboot in several aspects. And keep in mind that David was in the american team that adapted SOTN, so it's not a personal whim just to detach the brand from 2D to gain worldwide approval. It's simply a primal need.

Though IGA was pivotal after the SOTN success at Konami, the transposing of the brand on 3D was arduous because Castlevania loses its identity. The 3D combat system and brand new enemies forces you to see it as a new "Castlevania", but it's pointless while thinking to the original 2D.

As you say TriFrog Castlevania LoI wasn't that bad, compared to the Curse of Darkness that was pretty poor in terms of graphic and general ideas. But this new title is pretty promising.

I too at first wasn't that glad to see a "clone" of GoW, but if we think about SOTN, couldn't we say it's a "metroidvania"? So everything lies in the way they use a good system. It's not a shame to borrow something if that would make a game better and most importantly if it could give a new light to it.

Again thinking of the enemies, for example the medusa heads, I think that it'd be out of place. In a wide level, how could you insert flying medusa heads?

However it's like Aaz said: the best would be to have more 2D games. But the problem is that actually IGA is obsessed with the old good peasant way of thinking that every part of the pig should not be wasted (the pig is mainly SOTN of course). It's given that to Konami agree this cheap production of 2D games, where everything is recycled till death, but without a 3D counterpart the brand is doomed.

IGA has a ton of stuff to create infinite collages or bad SOTN clones, but on the 3D side there's nothing worthy. Till now, I hope.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TriFrog said:
I have to say my favorite is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood though, the original was great and then they released a new version on the PSP (the reason I got my PSP actually); I am a big fan of Richter and playing as Maria was fun as well.

Yeah, there's a reason Rondo is considered the ultimate "classic" Castlevania. Though I have to say, I played the PSP remake for a bit and didn't like the new graphics at all. I much prefer the original art style (which you can unfortunately unlock).

TriFrog said:
Anyways, yea, I'm looking forward to Lords of Shadows! Hopefully it will be as promising as it sounds; it seems to be making a lot of progress compared to other Castlevania 3Ds too.

It's going in the right direction at the very least.

Marik said:
I too at first wasn't that glad to see a "clone" of GoW, but if we think about SOTN, couldn't we say it's a "metroidvania"? So everything lies in the way they use a good system. It's not a shame to borrow something if that would make a game better and most importantly if it could give a new light to it.

To me this talk of clones is plain retarded, just like the word "metroidvania" itself (that some people even use to designate Super Metroid nowadays, what a fucking joke). I mean are we still talking about Rogue-likes or Doom-likes? Is Crysis 2 a Wolfenstein 3D clone? And it's not like God of War invented 3D beat 'em ups in the first place. Emulating some elements or even a general formula from a title is a compliment more than anything else.

Games have always taken things from one another, it's nothing new and it's not limited to the medium either. Should a Castlevania game avoid having 3D whip action just because it's similar to Kratos' weapons? It could, but what a waste it would be. It'd go against common sense and for what sake? The same goes for the rest (e.g. some people say the new footage resembles Shadow of the Colossus). What matters is whether it's well-done and has its own identity, beyond the elements it lifted from other titles.

Marik said:
Again thinking of the enemies, for example the medusa heads, I think that it'd be out of place. In a wide level, how could you insert flying medusa heads?

Yeah, like I said there's some stuff that's just going to work in 2D. And similarly, it's much harder to have huge enemies in a 2D game because you can't run around them.

Marik said:
However it's like Aaz said: the best would be to have more 2D games. But the problem is that actually IGA is obsessed with the old good peasant way of thinking that every part of the pig should not be wasted (the pig is mainly SOTN of course).

I agree but I also think you're too harsh with IGA. Aria & Dawn of Sorrow were both great games and I think Order of Ecclesia showed a real desire to freshen things up. Besides, it's not like SotN itself was exempt of recycled content. It's one giant homage to past games, from old sprites (some from Super Castlevania IV) to a ton of small references thrown everywhere.

That being said, the 2D titles probably need some new blood to really make a difference again. New blood and a higher budget from Konami? I'm not sure they've been very lenient in that regard in the past.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Aazealh said:
To me this talk of clones is plain retarded, just like the word "metroidvania" itself (that some people even use to designate Super Metroid nowadays, what a fucking joke). I mean are we still talking about Rogue-likes or Doom-likes? Is Crysis 2 a Wolfenstein 3D clone? And it's not like God of War invented 3D beat 'em ups in the first place. Emulating some elements or even a general formula from a title is a compliment more than anything else.

Games have always taken things from one another, it's nothing new and it's not limited to the medium either. Should a Castlevania game avoid having 3D whip action just because it's similar to Kratos' weapons? It could, but what a waste it would be. It'd go against common sense and for what sake? The same goes for the rest (e.g. some people say the new footage resembles Shadow of the Colossus). What matters is whether it's well-done and has its own identity, beyond the elements it lifted from other titles.

In fact at first I saw a "clone", but then looking through it better I got that there was the will to use that combat system to make something good beyond another 3D experiment. About the terms like "metroidvania", yes it's true, but it's a word created to cover (IMO) the lack of knowledge toward an association of two or more games, I don't think it's just a quick term to associate games, and I have proof of it when some people state that IGA is the father of Castlevania.

Aazealh said:
I agree but I also think you're too harsh with IGA. Aria & Dawn of Sorrow were both great games and I think Order of Ecclesia showed a real desire to freshen things up. Besides, it's not like SotN itself was exempt of recycled content. It's one giant homage to past games, from old sprites (some from Super Castlevania IV) to a ton of small references thrown everywhere.

Yes, maybe I am too harsh with IGA, but I cannot see a good title that makes the differences, and his last attempt to make "another" 2D Castlevania is not a great deal however.

Aazealh said:
That being said, the 2D titles probably need some new blood to really make a difference again. New blood and a higher budget from Konami? I'm not sure they've been very lenient in that regard in the past.

Actually Lords of Shadows had a cost of money equal to $20 million. And we can see the results.
It's true that Konami in that regard wasn't lenient in the past, but on the other hand a good title like SOTN, wasn't released in less than one year.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
About the terms like "metroidvania", yes it's true, but it's a word created to cover (IMO) the lack of knowledge toward an association of two or more games, I don't think it's just a quick term to associate games

No, it's just meant to designate a 2D game that mixes elements from the platforming and action-adventure genres, with a strong focus on exploration. The reason people started using the word is because SotN used Super Metroid's map system and had the same mechanics of inacessible areas that are unlocked once you obtain new abilities.

However its vague general definition can be applied to quite a few games not from either series.

Marik said:
Actually Lords of Shadows had a cost of money equal to $20 million. And we can see the results. It's true that Konami in that regard wasn't lenient in the past, but on the other hand a good title like SOTN, wasn't released in less than one year.

The two go hand in hand. No recent 2D Castlevania has had a $20 million budget, and Konami churned them out a little too fast for their own good (e.g. Portrait of Ruin).

I'm in chapter 2 as well. I'm loving this game. Best 3-D Castlevania. Then again, it's not like it's predecessors set the bar very high. This easily stacks up with Dante's Inferno and God of War. But Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry are still the cream of the crop.

As awesome as this game is, Halo Reach keeps getting in my way.

Now on chapter 5 some chapters shorter then others but awesome just the same. The game is good and the powers are interesting but I don't see my self using them very often unless plot related. I feel like its to much and not map-ed out to well on the controller. I have 3 out of the 4 secondary weapons 2 are awesome the 3rd is ok i thought the secondary weapons would have been alittle like the side scroller but i was wrong.

It seems there will only be the set of 4. I hope the 4th is holy water or the throwing axe i miss them weapons =D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
A sequel is already in the works!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1127062p1.html
Please don't report this kind of trash when it's still unconfirmed. Check the source:

"Oscar Araujo, who composed the soundtrack for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, told a Spanish radio station over the weekend a sequel is in development. "If you liked the first [game], hope that the second is even more spectacular," Araujo stated. "

Sounds really official :schierke:

Walter said:
"Oscar Araujo, who composed the soundtrack for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

I did not like the soundtrack, and I got the limited edition bundle. :sad: Well the t shirt made up for it even though it's XL.

CowTip said:
I heard the collector's edition came in a pretty cool metal case at least, no?

No it's like a hardcover book. It opens up like a book as well and it comes with a plastic case that goes over the "book".

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Please don't report this kind of trash when it's still unconfirmed. Check the source:

"Oscar Araujo, who composed the soundtrack for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, told a Spanish radio station over the weekend a sequel is in development. "If you liked the first [game], hope that the second is even more spectacular," Araujo stated. "

And they're leaving out the key fact that he was replying laughingly to a question of the interviewer about what the Lords of Shadow 2 OST would be like.

Anyway, I finished the game today, and while overall I found it good I also thought it lacked a certain something that would have made it a great game. Among the very obvious things is the fact that as we all knew (and contrary to Konami's claims), this game started as an independent project and was only slapped with the Castlevania name afterwards. As a result the game is hardly connected to the series at all. It's a spin-off at best, and even then that's giving it too much credit. Paradoxically the developers felt it was a good idea to add a lame Portal "cake" joke in one of the scrolls you find in game, which usually contain information about the levels mixed with lore. I found it completely inappropriate, and it made the lack of Castlevania references all the more cruel.

The game has great voice acting but the storytelling is poor in my opinion, with the story itself being decent but nothing more. I expected better and I guess I was a bit disappointed in that regard. The writing wasn't incredible either (I felt bad for Patrick Stewart at times). The music left no impression except for the main theme (featured in the trailers) that is great. Speaking of the trailer, it really did a good job of selling the game, and I think the actual storytelling pales in comparison.

Gameplay itself was very good. Inspired by GoW, sure, but nothing that shocked me. And I actually liked it more than GoW's own gameplay. I was more bothered by the bosses they fashioned after Shadow of the Colossus. I felt they could have made an effort to be more original there. The "platform" phases reminded me of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. They were well executed, although they posed absolutely no challenge most of the time. I felt that the combat difficulty wasn't balanced all that well either. It's almost impossible to die during the final fight for example.

The general atmosphere and feel of the game is based on European folklore and was not especially remarkable to me, nor were the enemies/bosses. I guess that's how I'd summarize the game: competent, but did not "wow" me. I would add that I also felt a lack of polish in a way, like all the elements in the story didn't come together perfectly.

Lastly, I encountered quite a few bugs, 2 of which were severe and involved restarting the game.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nice review aaz! I myself am only on chapter 4, and so far I really like it. Btw, how long would you say it took you? Seems like you blew through it quick

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
The general atmosphere and feel of the game is based on European folklore and was not especially remarkable to me, nor were the enemies/bosses. I guess that's how I'd summarize the game: competent, but did not "wow" me. I would add that I also felt a lack of polish in a way, like all the elements in the story didn't come together perfectly.

Lastly, I encountered quite a few bugs, 2 of which were severe and involved restarting the game.

Wow, thanks Aaz. I'm probably going to pass on this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Nice review aaz! I myself am only on chapter 4, and so far I really like it. Btw, how long would you say it took you? Seems like you blew through it quick

Thanks. Hmm, I'd say it took me about 15 hours to finish it. The later chapters are all pretty short.

Aazealh said:
Paradoxically the developers felt it was a good idea to add a lame Portal "cake" joke in one of the scrolls you find in game, which usually contain information about the levels mixed with lore. I found it completely inappropriate, and it made the lack of Castlevania references all the more cruel.

Ugh, I saw a picture of this. It's really ridiculous and embarrassing. The developers must be such douchebags if they didn't realize this was lame.

Thanks for the review, I think I'll pass on this one too.

I'll tell ya, the animations for the moves when purchasing them would be awesome if used in a classic styled 2D Castlevania :guts: But then, that'll never happen because IGA is more of a fan of the "recycle and reuse" style of game making.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
The ending of this game infuriated me. I know it was supposed to be a reboot, and I got over the fact that it was a mediocre God of War clone with awkward dialogue and actually enjoyed it until I saw the ending. You just can't do that to a Belmont, Kojima! Perhaps you have forgotten that the last good game you were a part of was MGS3: Snake Eater :puck:

For shit's sake, stop this junk and make another ZoE.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure Kojima even had anything to do with it. The original sin is to have forced the game into the Castlevania franchise.

Top Bottom