Charles Manson/Jack Sparrow

CnC

Ad Oculos
If I remember correctly I thought Depp was basing the character off of Rolling Stone's guitarist Keith Richards.

I said they where portrayed similar. Jeremy Davies, who was in Saving Private Ryan as Upham, played Charles Manson in Helter Skelter. Whenever Manson talked, especially when explaining his reasoning to someone, he swaggers and uses his hands in a very similar way that Johnny Depp did whenever Sparrow explained his reasoning. If you can find a clip you'll see what I mean. I'll look for one and post it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well based off the clip you just gave the similarities are practically non-existent, imo. It's a bit of a stretch to say they're similar just because both performances are gestural.

But lets pretend, for a second, that they were identical performances. So what? What's the point of this thread?

Your first post seemed to imply Depp was ripping of Jeremy Davies but that can't be the case 'cause Pirates came out a year earlier than Helter Skelter.
I think the depictions are still as follows: Depp based his character off Keith Richards, Davies based his off of Charles Manson. Any similarities between those two people's mannerisms is at this point in the conversation purely opinion.

I can see it at the start of the first clip. The way he uses his whole arms and body in the gestures.

An interesting note, but not similar enough to define a definitive link. :void:

Edit: Nitpick: this is definitely not IRONIC, but is indeed amusing. :puck:

I had known who Depp based his character off before I posted this, it wasn't an accusation of artistic plagiarisms. My cousin and I where watching helter skelter, and I had looked over to the Sparrow poster on his girlfriends door. It seemed funny at the time. I do regret posting this now. But I'm probably not the first person to post a topic they screwed up on and regretted.

AMaineKillingFrost said:
I had known who Depp based his character off before I posted this, it wasn't an accusation of artistic plagiarisms. My cousin and I where watching helter skelter, and I had looked over to the Sparrow poster on his girlfriends door. It seemed funny at the time. I do regret posting this now. But I'm probably not the first person to post a topic they screwed up on and regretted.

I don't think there's any reason to regret posting this. I see it at least.

I'm not intending to berate you, at least.

Edit: I'd be interested in seeing some footage of Manson to compare it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSAqSWuPZSc is great. Just turn the audio off.

I'm apparently a bloody idiot when posting links. Took me 3 tries to get that right.

This is the man who manipulated an entire cult and got people to murder for him at a single whim . . .

Just putting this out there . . . I have no admiration for him, and the only attention he deserves from anyone is as an example of things that shouldn't be repeated in history, but what if he lived in the Berserk world?

AMaineKillingFrost said:
This is the man who manipulated an entire cult and got people to murder for him at a single whim . . .

Just putting this out there . . . I have no admiration for him, and the only attention he deserves from anyone is as an example of things that shouldn't be repeated in history, but what if he lived in the Berserk world?

Would he qualify to be an Apostle?

Methinks he'd be a minor one. He doesn't seem to have the sense of self/coherence to warrant being anything more.

well the only real link between manson and Richards would probably be heavy drug abuse, unusually large libido and a cult following; so your not entirely incorrect on your link between the two. Btw if you don't think a cult following doesn't pertain to Richards your absolutely wrong because to this day the rolling stones has a strong following, and albeit not for all the right reasons manson has somewhat of a fanbase to this day as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
crazyfuck said:
Btw if you don't think a cult following doesn't pertain to Richards your absolutely wrong because to this day the rolling stones has a strong following, and albeit not for all the right reasons manson has somewhat of a fanbase to this day as well.

The two are really not comparable at all. One led an actual sordid cult for a while, and the other is part of one of the most famous bands in the world.

Top Bottom