DARK HORSE- MANHWA LINE

Saw this awhile ago on Dark Horse's website. Maybe some of you know about these series and maybe some of you don't. So if this is old news to everyone I apologize in advance.

Dark Horse is now getting into Korean Manga...or Manhwa. Personally I don't know of any 'manhwa' besides King of Hell, which is meh, IMO. I checked these out and I have to say they look interesting.

First up 
BANYA: THE EXPLOSIVE DELIVERY MAN
banya2.jpg

Check out the preview.
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=13-964&p=0

Next
SHAMAN WARRIOR (original title is DANGU) thanx Aaz
banya3.jpg

No preview.  :(
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-968

Both seem interesting, but I won't know 'till I get my mangy paws on 'em. Discuss.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
"There isn't a delivery I can't make. I always deliver."

Wow. I just seen Banya at my local comics store while scouring for the latest Berserk volume. I wish I took the time to skim through it, sounds pretty interesting. The next time I see this baby I'll check it out. Thanks for the description, Proj.

Hopefully, we'll see those Korean comics with their sound effects translated. 'Cause I don't want Dark Horse to become another Tokyopop, in terms of the quality of the product.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've read some parts of Banya from its French version. Looked Ok but it didn't thrill me. It was just the setting of the story though, introducing characters and such, so maybe it picks up speed later.

Shaman Warrior however (original title is Dangu) is promising. The art is great, and the story kept me interested in the first volume. It's not very popular in Korea though. My wife knows the manhwaga's brother, they're both (the brothers) Berserk fans.

If you want to try a manhwa, give Priest a shot.

BayJumper said:
Hopefully, we'll see those Korean comics with their sound effects translated. 'Cause I don't want Dark Horse to become another Tokyopop, in terms of the quality of the product.

Dude, seriously, shut up with the sound effects. It's not even funny anymore, you're becoming a parody of yourself.

Aazealh said:
If you want to try a manhwa, give Priest a shot.

Well, I did wanna try it, but after reading http://thecomicbookguy.com/priest.htmlthis (scathing) review, I went ahead and bought volume 1 just to see if it was really as bad as the it was made out to be. And by God, it was. The art itself was sometimes sketchy to the point I couldn't even make out what the hell was going on. Just like Vagabond, the first volume had little to no chracter development. Even more surprising, how did something like this managed to be made into one single volume, let alone 15?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
Well, I did wanna try it, but after reading http://thecomicbookguy.com/priest.htmlthis (scathing) review

Well, that's a pretty retarded "review," alright. I'm glad I don't have to know more about its author.

BayJumper said:
I went ahead and bought volume 1 just to see if it was really as bad as the it was made out to be. And by God, it was. The art itself was sometimes sketchy to the point I couldn't even make out what the hell was going on. Just like Vagabond, the first volume had little to no chracter development. Even more surprising, how did something like this managed to be made into one single volume, let alone 15?

Guess that's your opinion, for what it's worth. It's kind of funny that you compare it to Vagabond to argue that it's bad though.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Glad to see Korea getting some love. For some reason, I've fallen in love with the work of many Korean artists, so I'm glad to finally see some new stuff to digest. Both of those seem to have some of the style I've come to like. Thanks a ton for posting that.

BayJumper said:
Well, I did wanna try it, but after reading http://thecomicbookguy.com/priest.htmlthis (scathing) review, I went ahead and bought volume 1 just to see if it was really as bad as the it was made out to be. And by God, it was. The art itself was sometimes sketchy to the point I couldn't even make out what the hell was going on. Just like Vagabond, the first volume had little to no chracter development. Even more surprising, how did something like this managed to be made into one single volume, let alone 15?
How for did you read? I've seen many bad reviews of Priest, and none of them have bothered to give more than the first volume a read, which is by far a poor representation of the rest (you can probably skip it in fact). It gets better as it goes, far better IMHO. Not saying it's the best thing I've ever read, but it seems like most folks don't give it the chance it deserves. As for the art, you like it or you don't. I think it's great, and again the style developes a bit as the series progresses, but tastes differ, so you may want to give it a pass if you detest it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
Just like Vagabond, the first volume had little to no chracter development. Even more surprising, how did something like this managed to be made into one single volume, let alone 15?
Character development is a long-term thing, bub. The first volume of any series is dedicated to setting up the stage for LATER development.

I'm interested in Priest now, mostly because of BayHumper's opposite opinion.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Walter said:
I'm interested in Priest now, mostly because of BayHumper's opposite opinion.
If you want a more educated opinion, I'd say it's definately an entertaining read. I personally think the art style is fantastic, almost the entire thing is done with straight lines. The story is intriguing, but for me it's the atmosphere that really sells it. It's got the crazy mix of a western and technology from Wild Wild West with all sorts of crazy religious influence. The only thing that really irk me is that the author doesn't know the difference between the Star of David and a Pentagram.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
If your gonna listen to any review, vaxillus hit it right on the head. I got in to this series and I love! It's got a decent story, solid characters, and its nice and brutal. Also the mix of crazy bad guys and religion always suckers me in.

Top Bottom